• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
What do you mean by 'sensitive'? The only person getting hot-headed here is you. Also, no-one is really complaining about how you do things. We're just telling you that this isn't the place to ask for a collaboration, because everyone here prefers to write solo.
Well I do get the impression that we are being "sensitive", since almost everyone has felt the need to tell her we're not interested. Granted, someone has to do it, and the easiest thing for her to do is to just say "Okay. Thanks anyways.", but it's not an affront to the Writer's Guild of Lounge Regulars when someone genuinely wants to write (albeit collaboratively).

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
Well I do get the impression that we are being "sensitive", since almost everyone has felt the need to tell her we're not interested.

Yes, but it's only after she was returned with a comment that I find... insensitive.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, Konekodemon, but we should be able to tell you something once and not have you repeatedly shoot us down about it.

Of course, there might be someone willing to collaborate with you, but we've all already said that you probably won't find them here. :\

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Konekodemon, I'm not sure this is exactly the place to go about asking for people to join you to write... well, whatever it is. And truth be told, it's not often that people actually wish to do such a thing, and have a time for it as well outside their own fic. With the FFL, most people here tend to fall into the 'I'm already writing stuff' category and all... IMO even doing some sig advertising might end up being more effective (that and collab projects don't really end up finished/take ages, from what I've 'seen' XD).

That and it does look rather vague... you say you can do all of those fandoms if someone wanted, which doesn't really suggest to me much is planned there at all. And from memory you've made other similar requests for authors/stories, which didn't really get much attention from people here? Which is probably why people are merely advising that they feel it might be more effective in the end striking it out on your own, I suppose. Just how people in the FFL operate - they are unlikely to have time for such a thing, and a willingness for it as well if they have their own plans.

I don't believe anyone has been rude to you in saying such things (after all they have the right to say no and politely offer an alternative if they feel you're unlikely to get anyone), but I don't think there's any point repeating a 'no' answer anymore. Nonetheless, here probably isn't the best place for it, success-in-actually-finding-someone-wise.

Arrgh Feign that picture.

Do you people promote or recommend other people's fics around? Why/Why not? Do you think it is OK/unnecessary/overrated/annoying/cookies?

I don't do it much myself (and I don't do it in my sig or the such), but at times I may - either if someone has asked about something they need help with, etc, and I feel so-and-so of a fic would be helpful to the person to read (say someone asking about how one should/could go about protraying Held Items by Pokemon in a fic and all) - or if I'm chatting with someone and they ask if there's anything worth reading or the such, or know the fic will interest someone greatly.

I don't mind people doing it in their sig saying 'check this fic out by so-and-so' (and I suppose if I do mind I don't have to read that fic XD), unless the manner in which it is being done is excessive/the fic is some kind of overrated.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
[FONT=&quot]
You, sir, have just won The Game and an Awesome Smiley:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/1009/original/Le_awesome_smiley_by_ZeaQual.jpg[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
(Yes image is too awesomely big)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Yes, that is an awesome smiley. I'm sorely tempted to redirect you to an xkcd strip but I'm pretty sure you've seen it before.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meh, it can't hurt. XD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
It is good to see that the Lounge is active again. And that we all love each other, in a COMPLETELY PLATONIC WAY.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sans Val and the moderator, I'd guess...[/FONT][FONT=&quot] So this is a happy Chainsaw Chainsey Love Land. Man this completely sounds like one of those crazy Super Mario World levels...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We should start a Flamethrower, Chainsaw ship or something. XD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm just throwing ideas out into the open right now.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Do you people promote or recommend other people's fics around? Why/Why not? Do you think it is OK/unnecessary/overrated/annoying/cookies?
Cookies of course. XD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do promote other fics in passing. Such as, if say I was reviewing a badly(plot-wise) written fic about human-Pokémon fusion, then I'd redirect them to AEM, if I was reviewing an OT fic, I'd redirect them to Shattered or something like that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]@konekodemon: I do feel that you're being a bit to overly dramatic about this. I understand that no one like being singled-out, I really do, but in situations like this, the wisest option to do would be to back out slowly and politely. Not, come back and shout at us (or the equivalent). There really was no need.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That said, I would be glad to help but I have too much on my hands at the moment.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Oh Luke... You inquisitive little brat XD

I haven't finished that game yet mind you :S

Darn... I can't think of a bold topic... Otherwise I would have written one here, to make it look less offtopic, however, I'll counter such a thing with a cute picture:

Also anyone have any suggestions on a new avatar and signature?
[/FONT]Dammit Feign, that picture.
I'm more of a cat person(as in likes cats and is not half-cat half-man) myself but still…
I can't leave this, I must counter you somehow.
How about this...
<Caution, large xkcd related image no. 614>
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I reckon a Lelouch theme would suit you.

I could even make it if you like

Keke XD I watched a good portion of the first season, but wasn't that interested afterwards. I had just finished watching Ghost Hounds, and am also reading 666 Satan (aka O-parts hunter)

Speaking of cute things, I'm basing the dragon in my NaNoWriMo novel off of a kitten I saved. The thing was a veritable demon when I first found him outside, sitting in the middle of the road, in the pouring rain, with one eye wounded and swelled shut. After I got him inside and fed him, however, he became the nicest creature I have ever encountered in my life.

Well, what kinds of things do you like? Besides obvious stuff like fanfiction and pokémon.

Let's see, well I like the Matrix, ummm Ben 10 (don't laugh! :P, then again we're all here for pokemon), ET the extra-terrestrial, Rob Dougan (music artist), Harry Potter, Halo (I can actually make some good photos from there, taking screenshots with my 360). I don't have Photoshop mind you, just Gimp. Hmmm

[FONT=&quot]Yes, that is an awesome smiley. I'm sorely tempted to redirect you to an xkcd strip but I'm pretty sure you've seen it before.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meh, it can't hurt. XD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We should start a Flamethrower, Chainsaw ship or something. XD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm just throwing ideas out into the open right now.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Cookies of course. XD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do promote other fics in passing. Such as, if say I was reviewing a badly(plot-wise) written fic about human-Pokémon fusion, then I'd redirect them to AEM, if I was reviewing an OT fic, I'd redirect them to Shattered or something like that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]@konekodemon: I do feel that you're being a bit to overly dramatic about this. I understand that no one like being singled-out, I really do, but in situations like this, the wisest option to do would be to back out slowly and politely. Not, come back and shout at us (or the equivalent). There really was no need.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That said, I would be glad to help but I have too much on my hands at the moment.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Dammit Feign, that picture.
I'm more of a cat person myself but still…
How about this...
Spoiler:

Hahaha I liked that comic XD

OOooo

If you could write your fic in another language, what language would that be, and why? (ficticious languages applicable)

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Let's see, well I like the Matrix, ummm Ben 10 (don't laugh! :P, then again we're all here for pokemon), ET the extra-terrestrial, Rob Dougan (music artist), Harry Potter, Halo (I can actually make some good photos from there, taking screenshots with my 360). I don't have Photoshop mind you, just Gimp. Hmmm
I'm suggesting you to use a Harry Potter theme possibly?
Maybe Remus Lupin(from the movie).

If you could write your fic in another language, what language would that be, and why?
Malay because I'm Malaysian and I sorely need to improve my language skills. XD
Also, Mando'a or Mandalorian because I enjoyed Star Wars. It would be hard to pull of though if I were to write something in Mando'a...

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I'm suggesting you to use a Harry Potter theme possibly?
Maybe Remus Lupin(from the movie).

If you could write your fic in another language, what language would that be, and why?
Malay because I'm Malaysian and I sorely need to improve my language skills. XD
Also, Mando'a or Mandalorian because I enjoyed Star Wars. It would be hard to pull of though if I were to write something in Mando'a...

Saya mau pergi que Malaysia untuk satu hari ini. (ummm I think that last part is wrong though, but that was from Indonesia I learned that).

Remus isn't my fave character mind you. XD

Hmmm

Also on a side note, I had no time this weekend to complete my chapter. I have two midterms and a paper to do. :S

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Saya mau pergi que Malaysia untuk satu hari ini.
It amused me. XD
I'm not sure about Indonesian because if I were to examine it in Malay, it's a cross between somewhat formal and somewhat casual.

I think the proper sentence(in Malaysian Malay mind you) is:

Saya(I) mahu(want) pergi(go) ke(to) Malaysia(Malaysia) suatu hari(one day) nanti(soon).

Which translates to:

One of these days, I'm going to go to Malaysia.

As you can see there's a difference in grammar.
Which is why if you see any Malay tourists in Canada talking English like so:
I want go to Malaysia one day.
It's because they're following the standard Malay grammatical rules.XD

Remus isn't my fave character mind you. XD
How about Mad-eye Moody?

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Lol not as a sig or avvy :P XD

Dumbledore is one of my fave characters, as is Ollivander and Madame ummm Hospital lady (well minor characters anyway).

Yeah I recall that Malaysia had more of an English influence while Indonesia, more of a Dutch one.

Hmmm ooo I think that is what got me mixed up, hari ini... Mata Hari is sun I believe.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Hospital lady (well minor characters anyway).
Madam Pomfrey?

Yeah I recall that Malaysia had more of an English influence while Indonesia, more of a Dutch one.
When Stamford Raffles of England took Singapore, it caused the Dutch to get annoyed as they believed that Singapore was inside their ring of influence(the Javanese Islands). So, the English and the Dutch made a deal. The Dutch would give over Malacca to the English while the English gave Betawi(don't know the english name sorry D; ) or was it something else to the Dutch. Thus, the Malay archipelago split into two areas of influence.

And I got a B for history. Which is not as good as an American B. by the way.

Hmmm ooo I think that is what got me mixed up, hari ini... Mata Hari is sun I believe.
Mata Hari was a Dutch, exotic dancer and courtesan whose real name was Margaretha Geertruida "Grietje" Zelle.

Matahari is Malay for sun. XD

txteclipse

The Last
Years

Latian. See what I did there?

But seriously, Latian is the language spoken by societies of Latias and Latios in ancient times (in my fic), so it would make sense.

but it's not an affront to the Writer's Guild of Lounge Regulars when someone genuinely wants to write (albeit collaboratively).

Hey Asty, I think we have a new name for the Lounge!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
ah I see. XD

To answer my own question of course, I'd write it in Latin. Though, if I wanted to be adventurous and try a fictitious language, perhaps Klingon or Tolkien's Elven. XD

And Madam Pomfrey it was

txteclipse

The Last
Years
You wake up in a dark place to the words "what is your name, stranger?"

Fffffff the NaNo homepage died right when I broke the thousand word barrier! Ahhhh!

In other news, I'm starting a roleplay in the title bar for no reason! Join if you dare!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
"S__________," you stutter; unsure of what to make of your current predicament.

A roleplay that doesn't adhere to the common rules of roleplay? I'm in. XD
(Fill in the blank. I couldn't choose a name.)

Fffffff the NaNo homepage died right when I broke the thousand word barrier! Ahhhh!
I'm sorry about that. Do you still have your 1000 words?

In other words.
Do you follow the normal rules of battling when writing a Pokemon battle, or do you hold a no-rules fight that can involve guns and the such?

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
So, your name is "Sam." Tell me, "Sam," what do you have in your pockets?

A roleplay that doesn't adhere to the common rules of roleplay? I'm in. XD

Lol, the idea is to keep it in the title bar. XD Astinus would kill me if I tried to turn the lounge into an RP. Of course, she might do so anyways, but wth.

I'm sorry about that. Do you still have your 1000 words?

Yus. I just couldn't update my word count. Sitting at 0.7% is ever so slightly embarrassing.

Do you follow the normal rules of battling when writing a Pokemon battle, or do you hold a no-rules fight that can involve guns and the such?

Heh, no, I don't follow the rules. Conventional pokémon battles are nonexistent in most of my writing: it's all no-holds-barred fighting. Pokémon kill pokémon, humans kill pokémon, pokémon kill humans, the works.

Bay

Years
"I have a gun," I answered with a snicker. " I would advise you to run away now."

Italian because I still remember a few phrases and such. However, I'm still not that great in Italian grammar. XD

Like txtclipse, the works. Well, some rules like type effectiveness I obey, but other than that, anything goes. I have Pokemon kill Pokemon and Pokemon hurting humans and such before.

And yes, I'm joining the roleplay. XD Haha, soooooo fits my avatar. XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
If you could write your fic in another language, what language would that be, and why?I'd go with Arabic, god's own language. Hebrew also ranks high. I just love how words can have such subtleties in both form and representation. Letters should better reflect both the sounds and meanings they have, in my opinion.

I try to avoid Pokemon battles in favor of my narrative and character interactions. Lots of philosophy. In fact, Pokemon are hardly the focus on my writing at all. It's not until the very end that some decent Pokemon battles happen, and not all of them involve Pokemon. ;)

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
"I would advise you to put that weapon away Sam." says the voice.

Yeah like txty, I don't usually play by the rules. I do employ the usage of guns and non-conventional battling methods.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
"Well," you counter with a wide grin, "I *may*, if you convince me."

So guys it is good to see the activity.

As usual.

Mizan Nix Zamnie said:
How about this...
I just love (in a COMPLETELY PLATONIC WAY) people who reference xkcd. :D

I've been seriously thinking about the "promote fics" issue. It was a short discussion with myself, that went along the lines of:

Spoiler:

(Yes, short discussions with myself are kinda like that)

Bottom line, while I should agree with the people who don't promote others' fics, I have a hard time agreeing some of the reasonings, particularly those who expose the "We shouldn't reward those who do good because those who do bad will complain" sort of attitude. That's a personal problem, however, that stems from the fact that that kind of attitude was what got my English language classes for almost all of my elementary education stuck at "This is the door, this is the window" levels of exercise.

The existence of the Fanfiction Index partly solves that problem (having a ranking w/o having a ranking, sort of). I respect what others say, and I respect what others do; that is why I would promote my favourite fics. The authors managed to pull me away from my life (note: not that that should be happening at this point of my life) into a fun and nicely crafted world, so the least I can do is to help others notice In case they are looking for the kind of thing I was.

Thanks Elite, Bay and Mizan for your particular answers. Helped me a lot.

Now, entering on to another matters...

Esperanto, all the way. Man that would be fun and educative. Fuducative! Edutainment!
The reasons? Well, educative. I'm trying to relearn the language. Having to describe stuff and expand on vocabulary (since the grammar is definitively non-complex) seems the best way to do it since it will be a time until I can find other people with whom do actual conversation. That, and being able to use such symbols as ĉ and ŭ would be totally worth it.

Only problem is that I hardly think I would find a market for Esperanto Pokémon fics, though... :\

Failing that, there's always the alternative, which I am actually doing now, of returning to the mother language. It's been almost 10 years since last time (first time) I published a fic in my own language.

So long as is a legalized (Gym or tournament battle, or a "gentlemen's challenge"), I pretty much follow the "normal rules". Only the Pokémon do the stuff and they tone it down if necessary to ensure spectators won't sue. OTOH, for anything that is more underground (which is the subject of the fic I'm planning for next year), then anything goes. There's a particular scene I'm writing where two Trainers' Pokémon duke it Battle Royale style (ie.: 6-on-6 at the same time) trying to get their hands on a Plot Coupon. Then when they're too tired to continue, the Trainers go against each other with some martial arts, asphyxiating spray, tasers, butterfly knives and ye olde wooden log.

But when it comes to "rules of nature" as Bay says, type effectiveness and the like, I try to remain the closest to the canon while making sense. While there is no way that Dig is going to hit a Swellow on the fly, it is also tru that getting hit by a friggin' Rollout Miltank who managed to propel herself surface-to-air style is going to hurt, in any universe. *nods to HG&SS*

The RPG in the title
Sounds like a nice idea. I gotta sign up.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
"Let's just say that I spiked your drink with Thallium Sulphate earlier."

cont. from the above:
"I have potassium ferric ferrocyanide if you comply."

That's a personal problem, however, that stems from the fact that that kind of attitude was what got my English language classes for almost all of my elementary education stuck at "This is the door, this is the window" levels of exercise.
No please... Don't remind me of the horrors of elementary school.... It was terrible.
*reminisces*
This is a cat.
The cat is under a table.
Where is the cat?
"The hell are you blind?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back