• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Yeah, that's kinda why I was hoping to find some talented writers. I thought it'd be really nice to have a game with the Pokémon characters that actually had some kind of depth. That's, um, nice, though. Thanks for the support! >.<

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I was actually being serious. =x The basic plot is good! Just add extra character depth and more reality if you like, =|

xD

More character background, yeah. Nintendo failed at that :s in Hoenn, they tried, with your dad being a Gym Leader and all, but it still failed.

NikNaks, VM me if you need help with character development.. and stuff.

Azurne

The Local Trickster
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2011
    I kinda feel like I'm butting in here, so I apologise in advance. This is probably the wrong place, and even if it's not you're going to be all like "OMG ROM HACKORZ" and completely ignore me, most likely. Still, worth a try, and I didn't read anywhere that said requests were banned in this thread. I could be completely wrong. :/

I'm on a team that's making a fan-game that's set dually in a new region and in Hoenn. It's our take on what Gen V might be like, but clearly without any of the awesome 3Dness. We're using RMXP, not hacking, and we're making good progress. But the issue is that our plot is... well, non-existent. We can't think of a strong, logical plotline. We have artists, scripters and mappers, but we're not writers.

So, if you're reading this thinking "Hey, I love Hoenn!" and are interested in helping us with our plot, don't hesitate to get in touch. We'll credit you, link to your latest story, whatever you like. Heck, I'll name my first-born after you if it'll make a difference. We're a little bit desperate, truth be told.

Well, that's about all I have to say. If you guys visit the Game Dev forum, you'll know the game as "August Emerald", but the plot's already changed a lot since that thread was posted.

Thanks in advance.

Should you like, I would be able to help pitch in a few ideas or opinions. Hoenn isn't my favorite region (Johto fangirl, teehee), but I've got a fairly open mind and would be willing to try, especially if you come up short with writers.

In order for me to really shine though, you should have a general idea of where you want to go with the plot and things. I'm guessing since you decided to make this new "Gen V" concept you've already got something in mind, but are/were afraid of using it. If not, well that's okay, got to start somewhere. Just drop me a word when you need help, at base minimum I could just be a second pair of eyes.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Stupid phone didn't post my message, I guess that is what I get for trying to browse the net while at work. lol

--

How many emblems need to be made, and what are they?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • *Jumps in from doing work and procrastinates for a while in the FFL*

Currently, I think Txty's working on the Reviewer's Emblem though Giratina might be doing it too.

By priority, we're currently hoping for these emblems:

• The Reviewer's Emblem - Can also be an emblem to reward frequently awesome reviews as opposed to frequent reviewers. Not requestable.
    • Gold Reviewer's Emblem - Used to reward those who maintain a 10 Review per Month quota over a set period of time longer than the Silver and Bronze RpM requirements.
    • Silver Reviewer's Emblem - Used to reward those who maintain a 10 Review per Month quota over a set period of time longer than the Bronze RpM requirements.
    • Bronze Reviewer's Emblem - Used to reward those who maintain a 10 Review per Month quota over three months(up for revision).
    All emblems, except the reviewers emblem, are requestable via a form once I get around to making the wall of reviewers thread. Oh, reviews that qualify for the rank emblems need to conform to a certain specification that needs to be set. Because we really can't count reviews that don't technically break rules, but aren't extremely helpful. Helpful, but not very...

I'm rambling again aren't I. :[

Remind me if I've forgotten anything.

*vanishes in a puff of smoke.*

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, reviews that qualify for the rank emblems need to conform to a certain specification that needs to be set. Because we really can't count reviews that don't technically break rules, but aren't extremely helpful. Helpful, but not very...
    After talking it over with someone, so far there's not really much in standards. It's really:

For Reviewers:
    Actually be helpful in some way
    Know what you're talking about

For Writers:
    Don't be an ******* to your reviewers

There's probably more, but right now that's just the basic basic thing for reviewing. Reviews gotta say something specific about the fic. Reviews gotta have some sort of fact-checking, otherwise "lol wat". And be a giant ******* to your readers is a good way to make people not want to review.

Obviously the guide isn't going to swear at people. I just have a limited vocabulary and so I just say that. It's just don't argue back rudely to your reviews.

...Doesn't have the same kick to it.

Also, if anyone was wondering, I unstickied the Writing Guide from 2004 because it was decided it's not needed. Sorry! :D

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Incidentally, as a side note because I promised, like, two weeks ago that I'd have a list of suggestions for jobs people could do that I could whip them into doing (but things have changed and would probably require extra threads for discussion), but although I'm busy for the next week, I'll try to find some time to sit down and sort through things again. I say this mostly because I heard through the grapevine that someone was waiting for me to stop being dead.

In the meantime... what exactly are you guys planning on doing besides making emblems? I'll probably need a list of what you've come up with while I skipped off if you want me to be at all useful 'cause sorting through the past few pages of the FFL while drunk and sleep-deprived is always a fun way to figure out what's going on.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Well, I don't know if I need to make another Reviewer's Emblem; it depends on what txt intends to do with it. If the whole thing is going to be the same design just with different colors, then there's not much of a point of me recoloring it as opposed to the original artist. If there's going to be different artwork for each one, though, then I'd need to add it to to my hefty list of things to draw.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Swearing puts force behind words. =x But we can't have swearing, so we can't have force behind words unless someone figures out a poetic, yet safe, manner in which to swear.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Swearing puts force behind words. =x But we can't have swearing, so we can't have force behind words unless someone figures out a poetic, yet safe, manner in which to swear.

Thank you for the valuable insight there. It'll definitely be taken into consideration during the process of revitalizing the community.

That said, after having been told by Astinus what I missed sorted things out, I must applaud all of you for your impressive productivity in the time that I've been absent. If by "productivity," I actually mean "going over a list that might have actually been valuable to figuring out what to add to the forums for about a day and then spending the rest of the time talking about emblems."

=|

So, basically, to get back on track, I'm going to say a couple of things:

1. Emblems. Yes, they're incentives, but remember that there's more to the discussion than just them. They're actually probably superficial compared to what actually needs to be done, and I'm a little entertained by how much discussion went into something that could have been decided in a few posts.

2. Bam. Move the discussion over there, especially because the bold topics seem to want to invade.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ...yeah, tbh it seems there has been some laziness here. =/ I've been uni-fied the last week or two and looking back here the first time since then... only discussion I can see really besides maybe the very odd post is about the emblems (bar bold topics, etc). Surely that should be one of the last things we worry about, seeing other matters include revamping sticky threads, improving the quality or reviewing, etc? =/

C'mon guys - let's focus on the more important things first - top-down approach and what-not. I don't want to see this fall apart or get off-track so quickly either. (In that new thread though, of course =P).

Pokeyking

That guy that does stuff.
    Years
  • Me and my pal Missingno have an idea for a fic. Its about, well...

In the land of video gaming, some characters stand out more then others. Most of the time, they stand out because, they suck. Examples are Mettaurs, Goombas, Caterpies, Octorocs, Slimes, Trodes, Koopas, Waddle Dees, heck, the list goes on Now, what if these bullied creations took a stand for themselves? What if, A Bit Of Losers became the heroes? Thats basically our idea.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • @ Above.

It sounds like a good basis for a plot, because everyone loves the underdog. (: You're only limited by your imagination. The only advice I can give is maybe trying not to crossover too many genres? It can be hard to have lots of different characters and keep them behaving how they normally would.

Also, Hiiii fanfiction lounge. :3

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • So I feel like writing a Hero (mutant based) novel. The main plot is a school for mutant Heroes opens, and accepts only teenagers like a normal school. Basically, it's high school with telepathy and flight. The problem I'm facing is that there is too many characters, and I want to cut it down to five or six. I currently have written twelve. I'll list them all, and I'd like it very much if you could list your favourite six. Please note all characters are sixteen unless as acting as teacher.

Name: Gary Truvale
    Alias: Flare
    Birthday: August 2nd
    Powers: Fire manipulation, capable of a fire form which enhances powers immensely, combustion.

Name: Jonas Fields
    Alias: Sage
    Birthday: 12th May
    Powers: Neutral magic user, includes teleportation disks, force fields, flight and slight precognition)

Name: Thomas Luke
    Alias: Augment
    Birthday: 27th January
    Powers: Power augmentation, increases the use of other's powers, not usable on self.

Name: Alexis Garcia
    Alias: Venom
    Birthday: 6th January
    Powers: Poison emission, capable of selecting individual targets and in area of effects.

Name: Travis Gains
    Alias: Speed
    Birthday: 30th December
    Powers: Superhuman speed.

Name: Sarah Veran
    Alias: Iron
    Birthday: 22nd March
    Powers: Superhuman strength, impenetrable skin.

Name: Jacob Maze
    Alias: Feral
    Birthday: 16th May
    Powers: Animal mimicry, capable of mimicking bears, hawks, spiders and wasps.

Name: Robert Liu
    Alias: Giant-Man
    Birthday: 30th October
    Powers: Size shifting, in giant form, granted superhuman strength and in miniature form, granted flight.

Name: Tony Sears
    Alias: Blackout
    Birthday: 30th July
    Powers: Darkness manipulation, teleportation via dark areas, increased speed at night.

I might use afew of the characters that I don't use as main characters as teachers in the school.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • So, basically, X-Men?

Okay, so, looking over the list, here's what I have to say about each one to help you decide. My favorite concepts are in bold; the rest is just commentary.

Flare: Unfortunately, whenever someone thinks of elemental manipulation, one of the first things that come to mind is the ability to manipulate fire. It's really been done in basically every mutant superhero story that's out there. I mean, it's possible to pull it off (which is why so many people do it), but it'd be more interesting if you went for angles that people don't normally explore. It'd give your story a fresh edge to it.

Sage: Same as above. A lot of superhero stories have magic users. On the other hand, I'm looking at the phrase "teleport discs," and I'm thinking that it might be technological based or otherwise not actually an innate ability. As in, if this kid gets outside help to use his powers (and just happens to be really, really smart), I'd read a story with that kind of character in an instant. However, if you didn't mean to imply that, it might still work, just because sorcerer heroes tend to be kinda awesome. (Doctor Strange, anyone?)

Augment: A supporter character who isn't a girl? Yes, please. (I think of Ando from Heroes here, who I always thought of as awesome. That and I like the idea of a superhero whose powers are basically useless on their own. It encourages teamwork and/or hilarious situations involving attempting to patrol alone.)

Venom: I like this idea in part because poison emission isn't a power writers normally explore and in part because you usually see this attached to villainous characters. (Hi, Poison Ivy.) It'd be interesting to see what kind of backstory you cook up here because you certainly have every opportunity for it. (Just so long as, you know, you're not basically copy-pasting Rogue's history here.)

Speed: Again, it's a power that you usually see in superhero stories. The Flash, Quicksilver, Superman... or, hell, everyone here. In other words, you encounter the same problems as the ones you'd hit if you were using fire manipulation.

Iron: Normally, I'd also be telling you about problems involving superhuman strength, but the difference here is that this is a chick. You don't see that that often, and when it's done, it's usually either for the lulz (She-Hulk, She-Thing) or coupled with being completely effing psychotic (Niki Sanders). If you manage to play this straight, it'd make for a really interesting character.

Feral: So long as we're talking about mimicry and not transformation, you've got something that not many writers have been able to do without doing it for the lulz. Just avoid going overboard and interpreting "animal mimicry" as "every flipping power on the face of the earth." While I know you're writing about superheroes, you'll want to create limitations for yourself that help you to shy away from pumping the fic full of Gary Stus.

Giant-Man: Again, not something people have been able to do without being for the lulz, but it can potentially be an awesome power (or, alternatively, an opportunity to make Ultra Man jokes at every turn).

Blackout: The only reason why I shy away from this one isn't because it's overdone (although it's not unusual for people who try to make a team of elemental heroes to have someone like this... and I can think of one popular example whose name starts with "R" and ends with "aven") but instead because I feel like these kinds of powers tend to be attached to characters who are stereotypically dark (either former thugs, gothic, or just really, really angsty). If you were attaching this to someone who thinks "the world is made of LOVE AND PEACE RAINBOWS," it'd be a different story.

So, yeah, there you have it. My two cents about the concepts. The whole idea itself is pretty interesting, so I hope this helps, just because I'm interesting in seeing what you do with it. Good luck.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Actually, with Sage, what I meant by teleportation disks are instead of having a more common form of teleporting like Nightcrawler, Sage makes a glowing disk on the floor, and steps onto it, falling through and out to his destination. With Feral, I actually was considering having him transform various body parts, such as his eyes to wasp eye's or his hands to bear claws. Not his entire body, just select parts.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Actually, with Sage, what I meant by teleportation disks are instead of having a more common form of teleporting like Nightcrawler, Sage makes a glowing disk on the floor, and steps onto it, falling through and out to his destination.

In that case, it might work a bit better either way, in part because of what I said about sorcerers usually being awesome and in part because you've at least got a fresh angle here. Not to mention it sounds like it'd take a bit of time to pull off (as opposed to Nightcrawler's instant teleportation, so I'm talking taking a few more seconds instead of just happening the moment the character thinks of it), so it's got a built-in weak point.

With Feral, I actually was considering having him transform various body parts, such as his eyes to wasp eye's or his hands to bear claws. Not his entire body, just select parts.

So long as you don't take this to mean "character can have every power ever thanks to the power of animals," it'd probably work. What I mean is remember that every power should have some sort of limitation attached to it (like Superman's Kryptonite rules or Beast Boy's "I can only transform into animals I've actually seen" clause -- no pun intended) to avoid creating a Gary Stu.

It'll also be interesting to see what you'd do with the weaknesses of each body part. For example, wasp eyes are compound, but that means they see everything as if the entire world is pixellated. In the meantime, large birds might give him the wings to fly, but in order to save energy (for long flights), those birds rely on updrafts... which means literally a stiff enough breeze might not be good for that kid. In other words, there's lots of potential built-in weaknesses. This'll definitely make for a really cool superhero if you kept that in mind.

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back