• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I volunteered to make an emblem, and have no problem making several, I just need ideas on what they should look like.

[OFF TOPIC]
    Spoiler:
    *cough* Sorry[/OFF TOPIC]

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I dunno. Maybe we should focus more on getting stories to review, and then working on getting the quality of reviews up before we decide we need more reviews? Because I bag people more on lesser quality reviews than the quality of a story posted.

The thing is we have plenty of stories to review. However, there wasn't (until I complained on my personal LJ) that much in terms of reviewing going on.

And even then, one of the benefits of having an active reviewerbase with plenty of people to offer quality reviews is that the more people see that they're likely to get feedback on a certain place, the more likely they'll be to post. This is why you get kids who say, "OMG, I thought this place would give me awesome reviews because the other place did" and why kids post more on places where there's a lot of reviewers: because they're focused on getting as many reviews as possible. There's exceptions, of course, but these are usually loaded with other incentives -- like how Pokemon Tower has its own awards system set up -- or have just been around for awhile.

Hence why my original question about activity was "how do we get more people to review" and not so much "how do we get more people to post stories." I mean, if all of the threads on the first page were updated within the last couple of days, that means you at least have fifteen new stories to check out. Activity in the writing department's not that bad if that's the case. It's just that people aren't getting that many reviews. So, you're not only stopping short of setting a standard, but the kids out there are also getting impatient when they go for a couple of chapters without getting so much as a note. (Case in point.)

tl;dr, from what I can tell, you're fine in terms of fic activity. It's the feedback end where there's a disconnection. And anyway, it's the reviews that really help feed the activity in a writing community, so it's a win-win situation if you can kick people into posting more reviews.

[OFF TOPIC]
    Spoiler:
    *cough* Sorry[/OFF TOPIC]

I'd hate to sound like a mini-mod, but if you have to say it's "off-topic," why are you bringing it up here instead of in VMs -- or better yet, your PC blog?

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
    Hi. Yes, I'm not lurking (as much) today.
    Txty said:
    D) What if we picked one fic a year to be advertised site-wide? Sort of a fanfiction blockbuster?
    As other people have mentioned before me, this could get one fic in particular read, drawing attention away from the others. Maybe it would work better if this hypothetical rotated through every fic in the current fic pool...? As in, changed every time you refresh the page to a different fic each time. You'd probably want certain restraints on which fics got displayed, like maybe putting one that's been posted in recently above one that hasn't been posted in for six years, I don't really know. But, theoretically, it could work.
    If anyone's interested, I have the code for it sitting on my external drive somewhere.
    - Liam

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Maybe we can use reviews as a stipulation to get writing contests. The contests seem to be what gets resounding positive answers, so maybe saying "hey people, go out and review the fics that are out there before we get more here with contests" could work. Same with emblems. Because, y'know, extrinsic rewards seem to work better than intrinsic ones. So give people some reason to review more other than "out of the goodness of their little hearts".

So swing your focus on getting reviews, people. Upping the amount of reviews and the quality of them. (Don't look at me for suggestions/motivation because I have a host of issues getting in my way, unfortunately.)

Besides, if we follow science, then reviewing more --> getting more people wanting to post their fics

There's more to that, I'm sure, but I can't think of it.

Also, CALIBAAAAAAN (iluvu,indy), I'm not sure how willing the upper staff is to put a random rotating code on the forums for this section. But that does bring to mind the return of Fanfiction of the Month, which might not work out for reasons that will be brought up. But that's probably getting ahead of where we need to be looking.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Well, I've resolved to start reviewing more (both here and elsewhere) so I'm all up for this. I'm also writing at a a hundred and fifty knots, so that might help generate some more reviewage, yes/yes?

I say we get this party started. *cracks knuckles* Who's with us?

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
    Also, CALIBAAAAAAN (iluvu,indy), I'm not sure how willing the upper staff is to put a random rotating code on the forums for this section. But that does bring to mind the return of Fanfiction of the Month, which might not work out for reasons that will be brought up. But that's probably getting ahead of where we need to be looking.

Yes, I know it's probably a bit far ahead, but I only feel comfortable offering help with tech things because my other ideas tend to be unworkable or just plain inane (ignore rhyme please). XD;
    Does the box where it says "Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems" support links? If so, you'd probably be able to put your rotating link there.
    (image in spoiler shows the box that I'm referring to)
    Spoiler:

*Liam wanders off irrelevantly to somewhere else again*

Misheard Whisper

Years
    I'm pretty sure that supports links, as I think I've seen other forums use it to link to their respective rulesets.

*me picks a random fic off the first page and reviews it*

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I haven't done anything around here in a good while, so I guess reviewing sounds like a good way to get back in the groove. I'll do some of that once the school day's over.

And while I'm here, how about a bold topic?

When you're thinking up an idea for a story, which do you think of first, characters or events?

I've heard some people say that you're supposed to think of some good characters first and let the story grow around them, but I find that I usually think of a kind of scene that I'd like to do and let the characters grow around that. What about the rest of you?

Years
    When you're thinking up an idea for a story, which do you think of first, characters or events?

I usually think of a plot first. Once I have all important events written down I'll worry about what characters to put in. I mould characters to what their place in the plot is, not the other way around. While I've sometimes thought up characters that I'd love to use, I don't change the story to suit the character. Characters should serve the story, not the other way around.

Once I know what's going on I can start thinking about what kind of characters I need to tell my story.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I'd hate to sound like a mini-mod, but if you have to say it's "off-topic," why are you bringing it up here instead of in VMs -- or better yet, your PC blog?
    The reason I posted that here apparently didn't get posted (in other words my last post was missing something). 0.o Sorry.

I took the entrance exam yesterday and was quite tired from that, whether that is the reason why what I am about to say didn't get on my last post I honestly don't remember.

"While taking the writing section of the exam, I found it to be rather easy, I spotted lot of errors that I see getting pointed out all the time in reviews. I was wanting to thank every one in the FanFiction lounge. Reading some of your reviews helped me out a lot yesterday."

That would be the reason I posted it here in the lounge, There are too many people to go to each and everyone and post a VM, and a blog would not reach everybody.

Bay

Years
    Maybe we can use reviews as a stipulation to get writing contests. The contests seem to be what gets resounding positive answers, so maybe saying "hey people, go out and review the fics that are out there before we get more here with contests" could work. Same with emblems. Because, y'know, extrinsic rewards seem to work better than intrinsic ones. So give people some reason to review more other than "out of the goodness of their little hearts".

So swing your focus on getting reviews, people. Upping the amount of reviews and the quality of them. (Don't look at me for suggestions/motivation because I have a host of issues getting in my way, unfortunately.)

Besides, if we follow science, then reviewing more --> getting more people wanting to post their fics

There's more to that, I'm sure, but I can't think of it.
    Hm, I think this might work. Besides, for contests the judges will have to at least be quite decent in the reviews (that is if we're going to do one shot contests and such like Serebii and the Short Writing Contest from the 2009 Get Together).

Also, emblems good idea too. Speaking of which, how is that going?

Well, I've resolved to start reviewing more (both here and elsewhere) so I'm all up for this. I'm also writing at a a hundred and fifty knots, so that might help generate some more reviewage, yes/yes?

I say we get this party started. *cracks knuckles* Who's with us?
    I'm with you. :3 Despite me going to be busy with uni work and such, I'll try to leave some time to review a few fics here and there.

And AH, BOLD TOPIC! D: *checks solovino's Bold Topic Index* As far as I can tell, don't see a bold topic of this. I might've missed that though, so someone kick me if indeed there's a bold topic about this. >.>

I tend to think up events I want to do and then what kind of characters I want to put. Like Silawen said, ifI do the other way round it makes it as if I'm trying to have the plot revolve around the character, which is a big no-no. :P

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
    Characters, definitely. I have so many of them I'm always struggling to give each and every one of them a story. I never think of the story first, probably because I care more about the characters than the plot. A story / plot / setting is just a sandbox I play in with my characters, nothing more.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Also, emblems good idea too. Speaking of which, how is that going?
    We need to decide what the pictures are going to look like for the emblems. Buoysel asked us if there were any images that we could use so he could work on an emblem, but his post got lost in the shuffle. So if anyone has any image ideas, send them to Buoysel.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    I can help with emblems as well, once I have access to my netbook (might take a few days).

As for the list I posted a bit ago, I'm not sure what to do with it now. I could either a) make a new thread for it, b) continue adding stuff to it here and strike out things that people don't want to do, or c) add stuff to it here and include links to posts that express concerns about certain items.

I'm leaning toward the last one, because basic brainstorming philosophy dictates that you don't throw out ideas. It would make things more complicated, though, which I was ultimately trying to avoid. Creating a new thread is also inviting, but would people actually go to it? I probably wouldn't if I were me. Which I am.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013

Events. Then Characters and then sometimes sometimes a first page. For me, the most difficult part of fanfiction is getting the ball rolling. I can write points B - Z but I can't write A - Z to save my life. I have everything planned out almost always before hand except that part. XD I dunno, its probably not answering the question 100% but when I do a one shot or w/e, it's what's always at the bottom of the list of 'things to think up'

Years

Um.....events. I think up of the character later on, it's not my style to do characters first, unless they play a big part in the storyline.

Misheard Whisper

Years

Hmm, hurr. I come up with a very basic premise first (eg Team Galactic is wreaking havoc in Sunyshore and someone has to stop them), then I work out a main character (Tyson, a young policeman with a sister he can't find), then I build more detailed events as I write it (some Marines turn up, Tyson goes with them, there's a shootout in an abandoned house, Dialga blah blah blah spoiler spoilers spoilers) and make up more characters as I go (Dragon, the boss of the Marine squad, and the other members). I sorta slop it all on a page and hold it together with spit, prayers and lots of sellotape.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years

I think up the plot and the major events first, then the charactes, and then the smaller events. Like Mika, I always end up with almost everything planned, except the start of the fic.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I can help with emblems as well, once I have access to my netbook (might take a few days).
    Maybe whatever images people think we could use, they could send them to me and I'll send them to the artists? idk.

As for the other half of your post, idk there either. Leaving it in the Lounge means that more people see it. But then again, the discussion has already fallen to the previous page by the discussion the bold topic raised.

So maybe a separate thread might work, with constant reminders of "hey, people, check this out will you?" Only not from me because it took me several tries to remember a non-rude way to address people. Harhar.

Or it might not work.

Also because I have something that I thought up and idk what will happen to this thread in the six hours I'm away before I can post again.

They pretty much come at the same time. But I think the characters come first, where I plop them in various situations and see how they roll with it.

Edit: Okay. Maybe no post because people are hurr.

Last edited:

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
    I've been trying to work on a fanfic recently, although I'm horrible at actually sitting down and writing it. It doesn't even have a definite plot yet, but it's probably just going to be a comedic parody.

I always think of characters first. I love creating characters, even though I never end up using most of them, since I can never figure out a good plot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back