• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite author & books?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'm looking to get back into reading now that I have some free time on my hands. I'm thinking about finishing The Mortal Instrument series along with the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. I wouldn't mind getting back into books, but I need some suggestions! I'd like it if it was geared toward young adults or anyone around 18-25 years of age.

So who's your favorite author and books!?

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Cassandra Clare is awesome both Mortal Instruments & Infernal Devices waiting for her new series to start next year

Some YA suggestions that I like all these are great books
    Matched, Crossed, Reached - Ally Condie
    THG trilogy - Suzanne Collins (everyone who reads has probably read this already)
    Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant - Veronica Roth
    Maze Runner Trilogy - James Dashner
    TFIOS, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns - John Green
    Middle Earth Saga (I know the films are great but the books really should be read expecially Hobbit since the films changed and added a lot)
    Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini

Jayce

x-kid
    Years
  • Some of my fave YA books/series:

• All of Tamora Pierce's books. She's my favorite author and I love her to death. She writes medieval-style fantasy featuring awesome ladies.
    • "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell
    • "The Girl of Fire and Thorns" (series) by Rae Carson
    • "Daughter of Smoke & Bone" (series) by Laini Taylor
    • "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky
    • "Graceling" (series) by Kristin Cashore

All of them are fantasy except Eleanor & Park and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I can't really help you with any young adult suggestions, sorry ):

as for my favorite authors: David Foster Wallace (especially Infinite Jest which is my favorite book ever and kind of changed my life looking back on it) and Kurt Vonnegut.

as for my favorite books of all time: the aforementioned Infinite Jest, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.... stuff like that.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to my favorite authors, five of my favorites are:
    Piers Anthony (author of the Xanth series)
    Drew Karpyshyn (author of the Darth Bane trilogy and three of the Mass Effect novels)
    Karen Traviss (author of the Star Wars Republic Commando novels)
    Eric Nylund (author of three of the Halo novels)
    Stephen E. Ambrose (author of Band of Brothers)

When it comes to my favorite books, here are five of my favorites:
    Band of Brothers (by Stephen E. Ambrose)
    The Three Musketeers (by Alexandre Dumas)
    Halo The Fall of Reach (by Eric Nylund)
    Darth Bane Path of Destruction (by Drew Karpyshyn)
    Star Wars Republic Commando Triple Zero (by Karen Traviss)

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    The Mortal Instruments is on my to-read list, actually! A trilogy that just wrapped up this year that I adored so much was Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. It has a lot of high fantasy and religious elements, not unlike His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (another favorite of mine). Worth mentioning since it's also similar to the books I've mentioned, but East by Edith Pattou was a favorite of mine throughout high school.

If you're into realism, Jhumpa Lahiri writes beautifully with really pragmatic characters. A couple other books on my bookshelf that I personally enjoyed are Freeze Frame (fiction, YA), Uglies series (dystopian/sci-fi, YA), and it probably goes without saying but... Harry Potter, lol. I read a lot of Young Adult because it's easy for me to speed-read, and I've yet to find many standard fiction novels that are as emotionally gripping. Maybe it's just the books I've read, but I've read very few standard fiction books that make me empathize with the characters the way that Young Adult books do, although I am technically a young adult, so... anyway, I digress lol.

Bolded the authors' names instead of making a list... idk lol.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Agree with Mochi, read Philip Pullman. Neil Gaiman is another great fantasy author.

Darren Shan's Demonata series is very good and aimed towards teenagers more around 14-18 so it's easy to read but they're not childish

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    Agree with Mochi, read Philip Pullman. Neil Gaiman is another great fantasy author.

Darren Shan's Demonata series is very good and aimed towards teenagers more around 14-18 so it's easy to read but they're not childish

Darren Shan's Demonata and Vampire series was all i read when i was a younger. Met him once too at a book signing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2015
    The books that I can remember off the top of my head are:

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan - Man, I burnt myself out trying to read this series, and I'm still not finished with it! I'm on book 10, or was it 11?

A Dark Thin Line by Tami Hoag.

Dreamcatcher by Steven King

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Can't say I have any favorite authors.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • to add on to the /lit/'s recommended reading list, their starter kit is also very good if you want to get into "classics." I've read 14 of the 20 books on there and I plan to read the rest at some point; they're all very good.

Years
  • I can't really hit on a favorite author, but I've always been a huge fan of The Hunger Games series, I think Collins did a great job with those. Contrary to most of my peer's opinions, I actually enjoyed Poisonwood Bible last year for summer reading!

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • The Legend trilogy by Marie Lu and the Gone series by Michael Grant are really good reads and both are under YA.

Gone is a story about how everyone over the age of 16 (I believe?) disappears off of this certain location in California. Now kids are taking care of kids and it gets crazy really fast without spoiling anything. At one point I know it was listed as horror, so I don't know if you're into that are not but it's worth a shot. It isn't that bad.

Legend is about the USA in the future and how it's split up into two parts: the Republic and Colonies. It tells the story of a girl named June growing up in a rich family and then of Day, whose family is poor (without spoiling anything) and he's a well-known criminal no one can catch after trying for years. It's really intense and I really enjoy it. The characters are well rounded, has an excellent plot and I found myself really engaged while reading.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • J.K. Rowling, Lemony Snicket, George R.R. Martin, J.R.R. Tolkien.

Those are my big four.

I invested many years of my young life into A Series of Unfortunate Events. Between Harry Potter releases, I would read Snicket's series. As a highschooler, I found Tolkien's majestic world and consumed the series. And as a young adult, I rediscovered my love of fantasy in A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm a series kind of guy, as you can see. Can't recommend these enough.

As for other books, I've enjoyed:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Prayer's For the Assassin by Robert Ferigno
    Hard Revolution by George Pelecanos
    Killing Kennedy and Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly

All fantastic books, some with sequels. I just haven't gotten to them yet. :)

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Authors:
    Christopher Paolini
    Cassandra Clare
    Marie Lu
    Suzanna Collins
    Veronica Roth
    Cinda Williams Chima
    Chris D Lacey
    Catherine Fisher
    Margret P Haddix
    Allison Goodman
    Alexandra Bracken
    Morgan Rhodes
    Sarah Maas
    Rae Carson

Books:
    Eon
    Heir Chronicles
    Seven Kingdoms*
    Obsidian mirror*
    Hunger games
    Divergent
    Last dragon Chronicals
    Falling Kingdoms Trilogy*
    Inheritance Cycle
    Legend Series
    Darkest Minds Trilogy*
    Incarceron*
    The Door Within
    Maximum Ride Series
    Matched Series
    The Girl Of Fire and Thorns
    Mortal Instruments

I could go on and on and on because i read daily but these are my "main" favorites really great authors im mainly into fantasy. My all time Favorites got the * next to it.

Back