• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favorite Generation: 1 or 2?

Kanto or Johto?

• Total voters

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
  • Johto, of course! In GSC, you visit both regions of Johto and Kanto. There are also many mechanics that were added to the Second Generation, like item pockets, visible Exp. bar, day and night/ day of the week system, and move switching. There were also new things like larger color palettes, 100 more 'Mons, new items, and Extremespeed Dratini!

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • After experiencing both regions, I'd say Generation I's my favourite. Aside from the obvios nostalgia value garnered from the visit to Kanto, I just find Johto a really boring region, with a negligible amount of new Pokemon and a fair few glitches to boot (Generation I's glitches are far funner to exploit). So yes, Generation I has a special place in my heart.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Well... More pokemon and 2 games in 1. I'm a fan of Johto, but The original Red version will never top all the rest of them. It's got all my nostalgia although i get the same way when i play Crystal as well its just not quite as Nostalgic as Red version.

Years
  • GSC were much more complete games than RBY were, as they included a bunch more new Pokemon, a completely new region along side the old one (even if Kanto was scaled back), and even two new types of Pokemon. I still love the originals, but GSC just added on to what were already good games., so they get my vote.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
    Years
  • Ooh, how can you make me choose? I get a rush from either of them. Crystal version does bring me good memories. I say that is probably the most fun Pokémon game ever, because of being able to conquer both Kanto and Johto and added things like time of day, the train from Goldenrod City to Saffron City, the radio tower, battle tower, National Park, etc. So many things to enjoy.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I lived of GSC as a kid, so I'm nostalgically inclined to sway toward GSC. I never played RBY until a few years after I had clocked GSC several times. While both prove to be really great games, GSC takes the cake for me, purely because I played it first.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • i started playing pokemon at a young age. and i remember when i finally beat brock in yellow. i couldnt believe it. so i have sentimental value with the original pokemon games, so im going with gen I

with that being said, G/S/C were much better games of course.

Munchlax11

Munch?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Feb 15, 2014
    I lived of GSC as a kid, so I'm nostalgically inclined to sway toward GSC. I never played RBY until a few years after I had clocked GSC several times. While both prove to be really great games, GSC takes the cake for me, purely because I played it first.
    ^ This is a lot like me. Crystal was my first pokemon game so I also like Johto more because of that. Also because it's simply a more complete game, with 2 regions in one.

Berzerk!

Hey, c'mon! Get serious!
    Years
  • I have to say Gen 2 for content, it's not so different to Kanto, but I will admit that Kanto's Team Rockets sections had a lot more stuff fleshed out that made them more enjoyable. Jhoto and Gen 2 just felt a lot bigger with how you can travel around Kanto and Jhoto. That and Typhlosion, suicune, tyranitar... Gen 2 has some of my favorite Pokemon.

Years
  • 2 regions in 1, more features(items, Pokegear, etc.), and more Pokemon; it's not really a question. The best thing about RBG is that it's original.

Years
  • Among the 2 regions, I like Kanto more. Even the best part of GSC was travelling to Kanto and getting to see how it has changed over the years.

But GSC are the better games. It's great to battle Blue and Red in the end. And there are newer game mechanics like holdable items and weather to exploit.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I had a lot more fun in Kanto as kid, but playing now, Johto is my favorite :)

nano351

Metal and Color games are best
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    gen 2 is certainly my favorite. I liked gen 1 but gen 2 added a lot to the game I feel and I spent a lot more time playing it which could cause me to be a bit biased. Also you had everything from gen 1 + some!

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2013
    Crystal is no doubt the best pokemon game out! Why would you want to play gen 1 when gen 2 has both regions and so many new pokemon?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Although Pokemon Red was my first game, I spent more time on Gold and Silver, always have been a Johto kid, and its my favourite generation and region to date.

Sirfetch’d

Gen 2 for me. It had access to both regions, many more Pokemon, updated mechanics, better graphics, the first animated sprites, shiny Pokemon, many more moves, and just overall a better generation. Easy pick for me.

Back