• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favorite Generation: 1 or 2?

Kanto or Johto?

• Total voters
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    It's always going to be generation II over generation I for me. I might be slightly biased as it was the first generation I played, but it brought in a ton of features that generation I didn't have and still to this day it's still the only generation/region where you travel through multiple regions and fight the champion of the past game. BW2 had that chance but they didn't take it which was disappointing (though you could fight Cheren and Bianca it isn't the same as fighting Red in GSCHGSS imo).

Years
  • Both games are fun, nostalgic, and original, but GSC definitely takes the cake on this one. Crystal was the first Pokemon game I ever played. I started with Cynda (although every time prior I've started with Totodile), and used him and him only the entire way. I remember the set up battle between me and Suicune, I destroyed Suicune and I was so proud of myself, I didn't even think to catch him hahahaha. I taught my Typhlosion Flamethrower, Thunderpunch, Earthquake, and Toxic, and swept RED easily. Good times, still my favorite Pokemon game ever.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2016
    I loved the remake of the Gen 2 games right now Soul Silver is my favorite pokemon game out there right now.

Years
  • I still feel loyal to Kanto from RBY butt in total honesty, GSC was better because you could travel to both regions and catch more Pokemon. But still... Original Kanto still holds a little bit of my heart... There's no feeling like restarting Pokemon Yellow and getting your Pikachu again <3

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    G/S/C here. 16 Gyms, Steel and Dark pokemon, and Mt. Sliver make it better for me.

HG/SS is the perfect Pokemon game, B/W felt like such a regression to me.

Years
  • I say Gen 2 is the best, it carrys the original 151 with it and close to 50 add-ons, new pokeballs and holds not only the Johto region but the Kanto region, i have a thing about battling Red alot x.x

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
    Years
  • Gen II.

I enjoyed the general atmosphere of the games so much. Gold was my first Pokémon game, so there's a lot of nostalgia in it as well. And however much I love Gen I Pokémon, the original, classic 151, I could not stand the region. Kanto had a nice atmosphere, but it terms of level design, I could not stand it. :(

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Voted for Kanto! :( Why so many people vote for Johto? I like Kanto more than i like Johto.

Years
  • Since I grew up with Pokemon Silver it has to be Gen II, because 100 more Pokemon, 2 regions, 16 bages, the ultimate opponent... What more could you ask for?

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • Gen 1 is my fav. That does not mean that I feel that it is better than gen 2. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I think that gen 2 is far better designed. I just do not know it as well as gen 1. On top of that I got red as my first game for my sixth birthday. I just feel so much more nostalgic thinking of the awe I felt when I was playing that game for the first time.

Years
  • Now...I can see that Gold and Silver, and Crystal, were technically superior in every way to RBY...but I have the fondest memories for Blue, so I had to vote there, where my heart is :3

Back