• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite, "How do you say ____"

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
Years
  • let's face it, pokemon have interesting names. We've all had a blunder, but I am asking what you're favorite/least favorite one is.

Personally, it cracks me up every time I hear my little sister say 'Lulglia' "Kaogrie" and "Dakray"

Paxy

Aimless Wanderer
    Years
  • I usually have no trouble pronouncing the names. The only game I've ever had trouble with is Kingdom Hearts 2 (DAH! HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE SAIX!?!? -_-')

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • I'm able to pronounce the names pretty well, but my friends a few years back used to drive me insane when they mispronounced Gyarados. They all said Gyarados like "Guy-raa-dos" with extra umph on the "ra" part. I tried to tell them it was like "Gare-a-dos" but they still mispronounced it.

Yeah, it happens with those complicated names. I do have a question on one though...

Do you pronounce it "Cress-a-leea" or "Cress-celia"? I still can't quite figure that on out but I go with the first most of the time.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • - I pronounce Kyogre as kao-gree... How's it suppose to be pronounced then?
    - I pronounce Creselia as cres-sel-lee-ah, but I'm not sure if that's right.
    - I'm in the habit of calling Arceus ark-ee-us. But there's so many different canonically given pronounciations that who knows how it's suppose to be pronounced.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • i don't know y but in old days i just couldn't pronounce suicune...for me it was suyi-cee-ney.....it makes me laugh thinking about it now...

BenEary

Little Rabbit
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    Other than Magikarp and Gyarados getting the wrong sort of G sound from me, I think my only other one was Raikou. I still don't really know how to pronounce that. Is it Ray-koo, Rye-ko, Rye-koo?

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Oh yeah, I remember having lots of trouble with Suicune back in the day. It weirded me out. Luckily I know now. :P

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • another one popped in my head.....it's unown..i still can't figure it out...i mean i've heard people calling it "yu-nown" , "un-known" , "un-non" and "yu-non"...What exactly is it ???

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • This I could go on about forever.

To mirror the others... And add my owns (Bear in mind there's a slight swedish accent in all of these ^_^"). I say Rie-koo, Lewg-ia, Ar-seeus (no, not arse-eus XP ...Or wait, that's exactly it), Kaiogre, Rei-kwa-sa (an old friend of mine used to say "Raia-qoo-sa"... Idk how he got that one).. Well, again, I could go on forever. I'll just leave this be for now...

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I used to have some trouble with the legendary Dogs of Jotho. Back in the days (before I saw Pokémon 4Ever in cinemas), I used to pronounce Suicune /Soo-wee-kjoon/ instead of /Swee-kjoon/, Raikou has been pronounced as /Raj-koo/ and /Rai-kô/ (long o) (I believe this is the way the Japanese pronounce it?) But despite that, I still pronounce it /Raj-kou/ /ou/ as in /noun/.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • I used to pronounce Suicune as Swi-seen until I saw Celebi: Voice of the Forest and realised I not only failed at speaking, but at reading the name, too.

I also said Groudon as Groo-don instead of Graow-don. Bleh >.<'

Cheyanne

I have Yusei Fudo's Zorua.
    Years
  • I used to pronounce Suicune, "suu seen" and I pronounced Kyogre, Ky-o-gre.

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • I used to call Kyogre Kay-Orge.

Epic fail. I sucked at pronouncing pokemon names when I was young, lol.

Also, Groudon was Groo-Don.

Years
  • It's weird how so many people pronounced Suicune as "Swi-seen". I didas well but now that I look back on it, it's not even close. I wonder how we all came to that conclusion. xDOther pokemon off the top of my head would be Arceus (Ar-kay-us), Gliscor (Gl-eye-scor) and Scizor is kinda weird. I hear so many different versions on all of them and it kinda confuses me.

Back