• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite In-Game Protagonist?

Who's Your Favourite In-Game Protagonist?

• Total voters

ZeviL

Nihilist
    Years
    Red, he doesn't even utter a single word and then proceed to tear you apart. A great Pokemon Master doesn't need to speak much and let their battling do the talking.

Years
    I've always favored Gold the best, I like his personality and he's pretty cool.

I also like Red though, because he's epic.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Red's the most epic character in all the games. The battle with my old character and the battle theme is still what makes Gold and Silver my favorite Pokemon games.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Leaf has been and will always be my favorite since Gen III, I don't know why really, she just stands out more then the other protagonist really.

Years
    Here's the results of the poll so far...

Red is in the lead for male characters with 15 votes!

For the girls, May is leading with 11 votes!

Some characters still have very little votes (I was the only one who voted for Lyra.)

Come on, get voting now!

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Red. I've always like mysterious characters, but I mostly get that from HGSS.
    Hilda, although I hate the name. I really love Hilda's style, and how she's different from other girl protagonists.
    May, also, because I've always thought she was cute. XD

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    LEAF!

She is so adorable. And she reminds me of myself O.o

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Males: Brendan...you have to be pretty hardcore to have white hair at ten years old. ( I know it's supposed to be a skull cap, but I refuse to acknowledge it as such. XD)

Females: close call between Leaf and Hilda. They're both super cute, but Hilda loses points based on her ugly name. D:

koji8123

PKMN Collector
    Years
    Red was a total Bad-A!

Unlike Ash, Red could evolve a pokemon besides Charmander.
    Unlike Ash, Red Would actually CATCH THEM ALL
    Unlike Ash, he didn't need any friends on his trip to the league. He destroyed them all by himself.
    Unlike Ash, Red would actually take down All of Team Rocket network, not have trouble dealing with Jessy and James.
    Unlike Ash, He was in time for Charmander-Bulbasaur-Squirtle.
    Unlike Ash, He didn't have to make friend's with Legendaries. He caught them.
    Unlike Ash, He played Gary Oak like a fool.

I think I made my point.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    May is the best designed girl- I like her RS outfit more though

I really liked Gold the most as the guy, maybe it's the backwards hat xD, Liked his look in the official artworks (and his back sprite) much better than Red (although he is epic as the final boss)

Years
    Here's the votes so far...

Red is in the lead for the boys and also the overall lead with 21 votes. Maybe it's because he's the original!

Leaf currently has 11 votes, which means she is 5th overall and 3rd for the girls.

Ethan has 17 votes, putting him in 4th place overall and 3rd for the boys.

Lyra has only 2 votes, putting her last for the girls and on overall count. I guess it's because of her hat!

Brendan is coming 4th for the boys and 6th overall.

May is the leading girl but on overall she's 3rd. Currently she has 18 votes.

Lucas is the least fave boy with 3 votes, that puts him 9th overall just one vote ahead of the least fave Lyra.

Dawn has 7 votes (tied with Kris), putting her 4th for the girls and 7th overall.

Hilbert is 2nd fave on overall count with a total of 19 votes. Also 2nd place for the boys, Red is more loved than him.

Hilda is in 4th place overall with 16 votes. She is in 2nd place for the girls, being 2 votes behind May.

Kris is the 4th fave girl and 7th on overall. Now tied with Dawn on 7 votes.

Last edited:

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Aside from Red (which no doubt is the coolest protagonist ever in the pokemon gaming history), I would choose Hilbert from black and white.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Ethan and Red are tied for being my favorites, I used to like Ethan more, but then after reading the Pokemon manga it moved me closer to Red. :x

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    Favorite protagonist, eh? Let's see:

Male: Red, because he was the original player character and he's a badass in SoulSilver with his Level 88 Pikachu.

Hilbert (Black) also gets my vote because of just how awesome his design is.

Female: May and Hilda get my vote because they're both the cutest female protagonists. That, and the anime caused me to develop a crush on May when I was like 8. XD

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2011
    OK two questions:

1) The protagonist from Red and Blue is different to the one from FireRed and LeafGreen? How does this affect the canon? :S

2) The B/W character's official name is Hilbert? Really, GameFreak? Really?

EDIT: Just realised that Leaf is the female hero, so disregard that question.

1. Same protagonist (If you choose boy), just this time he rides a boat to the Sevii Islands, defeat a bunch of thugs, save some girl, gets robbed by rocket scientist, robbed by rocket scientist again, goes on a revenge and kills all the rockets left in Kanto.

Then everything after that is the same. Boring...

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    Male: Ethan because HeartGold and SoulSilver are my favorite Pokemon games, and he defeated Red.

Female: Hilda because her design is different from the other females.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    Male: Red or the guy from Gold and Silver.

Female: I'm a guy so I've never had any desire to play as a girl.

Back