• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feedback, Questions and Recommendations Thread [V.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    :P I didn't go through many; you're welcome to go investigate. I don't know anything about what happened from like '06 to '09 so... anyone know?

Also, Nightclub... if there's enough interest and people willing to play by the rules then it could probably come back.

As is, though, I'm looking at Whose Line is it Anyway to see if any games from there could be adapted. like Questions Only

Years
    I think we need to promote those kinds of games to keep them from dying. That's the big problem of late with starting anything but a rating thread or any counting game/poster above game that isn't already well established. Anyone can start games that don't fit this mold, but you need to make people aware of them and make people want to put the effort into posting in them.

Maybe there could be an unofficial troupe of members who go from game to game posting in them. Just putting this idea out there for anyone who wants to steal it, as I am not particularly interested in being the leader of such a troupe at this time.

Another suggestion is to have only one of the counting games stickied at a time and have some other game be stickied with that counting game for two weeks before putting the other counting game and another game (I think it'd be better if there were no criteria for this except that it just be a game that one of you two may fancy and think is underrated) as a sticky. Sure, it's more involved, but maybe this could be a duty that just one of you two primarily does (I vote Netto since he tends to come on when things are quieter :P). It would certainly promote more activity all around, ideally. Assuming people don't decry moderator bias.

Also, the One Above could take more effort than some people do put into it (myself included). It's a good game to use to get to know other members better if played properly.

I do remember a King of the Hill game being pretty popular back in the day.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Yeah uhm... remember what happened the last time someone suggested that only one of the counting games should be stickied? Since they're the only two active now, I think we should keep it as it; I don't want to bother with the whole controversy of the two threads again. :s Even if we switch between the two, I don't think people are going to be particularly happy about the idea. It's something I would have to discuss more with Netto, but that's not going to be happening for a while. Also, to be quite honest I'm not sure if making a game stickied is going to really help anything. It might bring more activity to that certain game at the time, but then we don't know if the game will stay popular (or even become popular once stickied) after it's two weeks, and what would happen with the other games. It's not like OVP in which we can give the creator of the game an emblem or anything.

Right now I just like the idea of more games appearing that aren't Rating Threads. Arma is right in the lack of activity and games; we only have one page of games, when in the past there would be about two or three pages of active games. If we can bump the amount of games up, then perhaps Other Trivia in general would be more active, and it wouldn't just be the rating threads. Though I don't want just effortless games being tossed up. I like the idea of going through the games that were popular in the past, and see about bringing them back.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    Quizzes don't sound like they'd be too terribly bad. But it seems like it would take a lot of effort and a lot of work on the creator(s)'s part to really make them effective and fun to keep going. I mean, the place is called Other TRIVIA, so why not have like a Daily Trivia question for people to answer? It'd be something sorta similar to what PT has with WTP, only more general. Movie, book, TV quotes... math problems... just some different form of trivia each day would be fun, I think. I dunno though.

I also kinda miss the threads like the "Best Forum Section" threads where ya had the tallies and everything. Haven't been really active enough to check this place out lately, but from what I've seen, those have sorta lost their popularity and died.

Still another suggestion I'd like to throw out there once again is with the two counting threads. Change those up once in awhile. For TCTI, have it be where they count down for a day or something. For DLTMS0, have a day where it's Don't Let the MEMBERS say Zero. Might attract more life to those threads, which may not be the point, but it'd give them a little flare. Might even give some staff members reason to try and see how high they can get the count in a day. I don't know. But there's possibilities of taking what we already have and just... tweaking them. Seems to me like it'd make things more interesting at least with what is already here.

Years
    I think the fact that OT is as it is, is due to the fact that most of the threads here don't need that much effort into them.

But yeah there's OVP and OC for thinking stuff but whatever.

Anyways Quiz games sound nice, but the problem is who/how to run it...

Spoiler:

So yeah, if ANYONE wants to do something, please contact me and we'll hatch things up after my DLOA ends Jan. 7.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    A Quiz game does sound nice. Maybe Other Trivia can pull one in which one person asks any type of question, and the person below answers, then ask their own question. There's a game going on just like that in Pokemon Trivia at the moment. Problem is people might make their trivia question too hard, and that's when the deadness comes. Least, it's what I've seen with little trivia question games before.

I'm not too sure about the count to infinity counting down, because then afterwards, once people mess up the count, no one will really know what the correct count it. The reason why we can maintain the correct count now is because of the number of the post in the thread. However, I do like the idea for DLTMS0. Maybe Netto and I can decide a date for that (or I can when Netto is on leave if he doesn't mind) and we can have a 'Don't let the members say zero' day(s).

I think you're talking about the 'Hurt and Heal' games, Niinii? The one in which you would subtract from one thing (like a section of a forum) and add to another? One of the games were very successful, but the second one died before reaching an end. I think now that there hasn't been one for a while, someone can bring it back.

</too lazy&tired to quote>

Spoiler:

Yeah, any Mafia stuff direct it to Netto. I could probably help with any ideas for a quiz game though.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    So, about the mafia game... seems like I'll be hosting it. I'm positive about it since I have past experience in several boards which played this forum game. Therefore, I'd like your opinion about the theme of the game. I have six choices here and I'd like to see which one you're most happy with:

Pokemon - it's going to be pretty much like this

Harry Potter - it's going to be pretty much like this

Naruto - partly like in the anime, certain evil ninjas are trying to infiltrate the Hidden Leaf village. The battle's going to be with Naruto characters.

Time Continuum - an epic fight between famous figures of history, fighting to defend/take over the Time tower, floor by floor.

Castle Defense - set in the medieval era, a faction is trying to conquer a series of castles. Expect knights, dragons and magic.

Hamstring Infiltration - a galaxy mafia simulator, where the targets are space colonies and the characters are all kinds of alien beings.

---

If you're eager to play, give us your opinion!

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I have no preferences. But I will say that if we end up doing a Pokemon one, it'll end p being hosted in Pokemon Trivia and not here in Other Trivia. I think that's the primary reason why we didn't decide on a Pokemon one in the first place. But it's the members' choice.

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
    I kinda like the space mafia idea to be honest, maybe we can put things like "aliens have disguised among us" or something
    Also a Quiz / Trivia competition like there was on the GT8 seems fun ^_^

Years
    I also agree with Tara. I have no preference over this. I leave it up to you PC members to choose whichever one you want.

Pokemon Special WOULD be nice but it's not OT material xD

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Well since we only had one specific opinion and two neutrals, I'm going to go with the 'Hamstring Infiltration' scenario. By next week a thread will be up on Other Trivia for clarifications and sign-ups.

Until then, happy holidays, everyone!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'm hoping to drop this sticky soon, since it doesn't get enough activity at all to be sticking around (probably going to have to talk to Netto about it though derp). Also MOTY Profile Contest will be dropped soon as well, so that'll clear up some of the space. I totally agree with you there, Nick, no worries. @w@; It's been bugging me for a while.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    I really hate to bring this up (again?) but I legitimately feel that the counting threads have long-stayed their fun. More often than not, these threads seem like semi-directed-mini-live-blogging dump sessions for certain Other Trivia veterans rather than counting games. People have become complacent with the number in The Count to Infinity as evidenced by the latest iteration's lifetime extending well over a year. The number in DLTMS0 seems more like an obstacle to type before submitting your post, more similar to a captcha than a fast paced counting game trying to outpost moderators and admins. There's really no reason to keep these around, let alone stickied, for reasons other than precedent. Rather than making these games the main draw of this forum, why not make it about the other games again? Rather than these perma-stickies, why not more frequent temp-stickies similar to POTW in Other Polls? These stickies give the impression that mindless chitter-chatter is the main draw of this forum (when it shouldn't be). Encourage more stuff like Mafia, Choose Your Own Adventures, and other creative games by giving these spotlight and therefore incentive. Emblems for completion/winning/activity might be cool as well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I agree with jpp - it'd have taken us two days, not two months to go from the end of the last thread to the new one. Since this one is dying soon, maybe just... not sticky the next one? Like if the counting stood out as more important, sure, but as it is the counting is just something that matters to not-so-many of us now and both threads have kinda become cliques (not necessarily bad ones) in a way in that only the regulars stop by and everyone else just kinda avoids them.

Years
    More than willing to do that actually since I'm already subscribed to both counting games.

Also if anyone wants to do a Mafia just contact me. Zeffy has the next one on the works after this one.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    May just be cuz i'm not used to it, but there's a lot of stickies here.

As of this post, I would recommend taking down the Profile contest since it's outdated, and maybe merging the Rules and Game Index. That would lower the sticky count to 4 including the counting threads after this thread gets unsticked as noted above.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Alright. I have an idea. How about Netto or I toss up a poll on what to do with the counting threads, and perhaps a course of action of what should be stickied instead (such as Mafia, or we can bring up the whole 'Game of theweek/month' deal up for discussion). I've gotten to the point where I don't care, and it's up to you guys, anyways.

As for what digi-kun suggested, I'll get on that now. I've been meaning to take down the Profile Contest, and I like the idea of merging the Rules and the Game Index. I'll do the latter now, and I'll do the merge the moment Netto agrees (or he can do so if he so wishes).

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    I say skip the democracy (OT clique pandering is part of the problem) and do as you see fit. I mean, this IS your section of moderation. I don't think there'd be too much of a loss in activity if some drastic action is taken.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back