• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feminism

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
Years
  • You can't talk about equal rights between men and women, because they don't exist. How is it equal that a woman can beat up a man and not get sued, fined, whatever, but when a man tries to defend himself he's all of a sudden a jerk? Women abuse their rights. I'm not saying men don't, but I'm sick of men looking like the bad ones all the time.
    You can sue a woman that beats you.

Well, in Brazil there's a law against domestic violence against women, but there's a difference between domestic violence and regular violence. Furthermore, a woman beating a man would barely hurt, but a man can seriously injure a woman.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
  • You can sue a woman that beats you.

Well, in Brazil there's a law against domestic violence against women, but there's a difference between domestic violence and regular violence. Furthermore, a woman beating a man would barely hurt, but a man can seriously injure a woman.

I'm more in favor of "abuse" over "domestic violence." There's more ways to harm someone than just physically.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • I'm more in favor of "abuse" over "domestic violence." There's more ways to harm someone than just physically.
    I agree, but the violence is the only one that keeps you so against your will. You can always leave your husband unless he threats and beats you.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
  • I agree, but the violence is the only one that keeps you so against your will. You can always leave your husband unless he threats and beats you.

Sort of. There's always the strange dependency that can form in an emotionally abusive relationship. Not all women stay with abusive husbands just because they think he'll kill them if they leave, for example, and there are people who keep returning to or even defending those who've hurt them.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Well actually Twocows, there is only one kind of true feminism and that is the pursuit of equal rights (Not equality in general /shudder) between genders. It just happens to be named that because women happened, or happen depending on how you feel about today's society, to have been the gender with less rights.

It actually bothers me that people use the term feminism to describe women who hate men.
    I actually took a course on this in my freshman year of university, and we went over at least three distinct types of feminism, of which one was the type I mentioned earlier. Wikipedia lists even more than that. I more or less disregarded the other types I have heard about because they were all extremely sexist in nature.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • Sort of. There's always the strange dependency that can form in an emotionally abusive relationship. Not all women stay with abusive husbands just because they think he'll kill them if they leave, for example, and there are people who keep returning to or even defending those who've hurt them.
    Something like Estocolmo syndrome?

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
  • Something like Estocolmo syndrome?

Not really, no.

If you want: https://eqi.org/eabuse1.htm

Emotional abuse is like brain washing in that it systematically wears away at the victim's self-confidence, sense of self-worth, trust in their own perceptions, and self-concept. Whether it is done by constant berating and belittling, by intimidation, or under the guise of "guidance," "teaching", or "advice," the results are similar. Eventually, the recipient of the abuse loses all sense of self and remnants of personal value. Emotional abuse cuts to the very core of a person, creating scars that may be far deeper and more lasting that physical ones. In fact there is research to this effect. With emotional abuse, the insults, insinuations, criticism and accusations slowly eat away at the victim's self-esteem until she is incapable of judging the situation realistically. She has become so beaten down emotionally that she blames herself for the abuse. Her self-esteem is so low that she clings to the abuser.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I think that sexism is a really bad problem. For instance, I think it is bad how all of the really nasty insults can only be used on girls, such as the ones that suggest girls have been going out with too many boys. There are no insults for boys that are bad like that. It is very sexist.

I think there should be more insults for boys.

And they made you a moderator...:pink_no:

Also I don't see why it's okay for a guy to go out with lots of girls but not okay for a girl to go out with lots of guys. Women might have more equal rights now, but there are some things about culture that need to be changed like that what I just said.
    I think the problem is that girls generally don't like it when another girl gets a lot of sex but, guys generally think that is a good thing. Men congratulate each other for it, women frown on each other. In my opinion it's the girls that need to lighten up. Not the other way around.

As for the topic in general; I agree that women should have equal rights but, not that they should be superior as some women do.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • Not really, no.

If you want: https://eqi.org/eabuse1.htm

Emotional abuse is like brain washing in that it systematically wears away at the victim's self-confidence, sense of self-worth, trust in their own perceptions, and self-concept. Whether it is done by constant berating and belittling, by intimidation, or under the guise of "guidance," "teaching", or "advice," the results are similar. Eventually, the recipient of the abuse loses all sense of self and remnants of personal value. Emotional abuse cuts to the very core of a person, creating scars that may be far deeper and more lasting that physical ones. In fact there is research to this effect. With emotional abuse, the insults, insinuations, criticism and accusations slowly eat away at the victim's self-esteem until she is incapable of judging the situation realistically. She has become so beaten down emotionally that she blames herself for the abuse. Her self-esteem is so low that she clings to the abuser.
    Well, I don't think one deserves to be arrested for treating badly the partner (it's wrong, though). Everyone with very low self-steem might go through such relationships, that's why it has to be treated, but something taking advantage of it... I think it'd be too much against the free will of people if that happened, unless the victim can be considered unable to think consciously.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
  • Well, I don't think one deserves to be arrested for treating badly the partner (it's wrong, though). Everyone with very low self-steem might go through such relationships, that's why it has to be treated, but something taking advantage of it... I think it'd be too much against the free will of people if that happened, unless the victim can be considered unable to think consciously.

Not arrested, no, but I felt that if we were talking about domestic violence, this had a place alongside it as something that regularly occurs both ways. I don't know if I've heard of a girl beating a guy (it shouldn't be okay either way), though I have heard stories of wives cutting their husbands' you-know-what off after he cheated. So it's not like girls can't hurt guys.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I think that feminism has contributed to our society a great deal, such as banning sexist policies in the work place, etc., and moving away from the idea that women must become nurses, teachers, or stay-at-home moms. However, I also get annoyed when men are automatically seen as the ones with the problem that needs to be addressed.

Feminism is mostly beneficial, in my opinion, but feminist women should realize that they need men just as much as men need women. We've all heard the horror stories about feminist groups who think the world would be a better place without men all together, or that they want to ban sex because they see at oppressive.

Tacogeddon

Pokemonidae
    Years
  • Feminism is all well and good until it reaches that "Womyn" level of nonsense, I couldn't take anyone who used that word seriously.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    That was pure stupidity, and I laughed so hard. This is true though. Idiots have a single idea of sexism ingrained in their minds and it really pisses me off. If I may quote Bob Kelso: is it sexist to hold a door open for a women?

I love this statement. Leading off from what i complained about earlier, I hate the feminists who expect 'Equal' rights, but still expect chivalry like holding doors open (but thats just politeness to anyone, not just women) or pulling out a chair for a woman. In the words of Doctor Owen Harper "You can have either equality or chivalry not both." Aga.in because it directly contradicts the concept of EQUAL rights

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I love this statement. Leading off from what i complained about earlier, I hate the feminists who expect 'Equal' rights, but still expect chivalry like holding doors open (but thats just politeness to anyone, not just women) or pulling out a chair for a woman. In the words of Doctor Owen Harper "You can have either equality or chivalry not both." Aga.in because it directly contradicts the concept of EQUAL rights

And what, good sir, if we don't want equality, but want equal rights? ;)

You can't talk about equal rights between men and women, because they don't exist. How is it equal that a woman can beat up a man and not get sued, fined, whatever, but when a man tries to defend himself he's all of a sudden a jerk? Women abuse their rights. I'm not saying men don't, but I'm sick of men looking like the bad ones all the time.

Just because the world isn't perfect doesn't mean they don't exist. Some people very much do give equal rights between men and women. The problem you have here is that right now the issue is two sided. Neither men or women are particularly in the wrong in this modern day because it's mostly certain individuals or small groups that don't give equal rights.

a woman beating a man would barely hurt, but a man can seriously injure a woman.
    :\ Um... no comment.

I actually took a course on this in my freshman year of university, and we went over at least three distinct types of feminism, of which one was the type I mentioned earlier. Wikipedia lists even more than that. I more or less disregarded the other types I have heard about because they were all extremely sexist in nature.

HOLY TL;DR @ WIKIPEDIA LINK D=

...Anyway, those are subgroups. I think it's irrelevant to the point I was making earlier, which was that man-haters are definitely not feminists. Feminism is simply the antonym of sexism. Even the "radical" feminist sub group is not so anti-man that they deny they seek equal rights.

I think many of us are feminists whether we realize it or not, and it irritates me to hear the term improperly used to describe sexism, which is the POLAR OPPOSITE of what feminism's main goal is.

Last edited:

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    And what, good sir, if we don't want equality, but want equal rights? ;)

OK the quote might not have been the best choice, but it should be noted that both are needed for a fair society.

*Feminists shout in the background "SEXIST! Chauvinist!"*
    There, the imaginary feminists have just helped to prove my point...

Dawn

Years
  • OK the quote might not have been the best choice, but it should be noted that both are needed for a fair society.

I classify myself as a feminist and definitely oppose equality of genders. I'd say the two terms are very very different my friend and should never be confused.

Look at it like a math problem

Equality would be
    Man = Woman

Obviously this is a bad equation. Unlike Black = White which makes sense, Men simply are not the same as women.

Equal Rights would be far more complex. Do you see what I mean?

In my opinion it's the girls that need to lighten up. Not the other way around.
    I'd disagree there, but at that I have nothing particularly note worthy to show why I disagree other than that I feel society as it is now is very nice. (Relevant to the topic, anyway)

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Feminism is the practice of my wife thinking she is allowed to leave the kitchen.

Years
  • That one thread was one of the best things I read for weeks. Makes me want to go and troll feminist forums :D

To be serious, I think that the point of equal rights has been achieved in most countries except those that are totally socially backwards.
    There are still some things to correct, like the conscription system being unfair (but in the other way) or women having problems with their jobs when it comes to pregnancies, but I don't think there still can be something like actual feminism without getting ridiculous.
    Of course, a lot of this whole kitchen stereotype is still reality, but would they rather want to mow the lawns or chop wood instead? The course for something like this having established is just human anatomy, each gender has something they can do better than the other one.
    Sexism? It has been reduced to jokes mostly. I don't see much too complain about here.
    senseless wall of text is senseless

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • There's a difference in being a feminist, and a fembot.

That being said, there is very little wrong with the womens' rights movement, but some people take it too far and abuse the rights of men as well.

Dawn

Years

• To be serious, I think that the point of equal rights has been achieved in most countries except those that are totally socially backwards.

My thoughts exactly. I don't consider sexism, nor certain other specific exaggerated discriminations a problem worth fussing about in the modern world.

It has been reduced to jokes mostly. I don't see much too complain about here.

It has been reduced to jokes shenanigans trolling.

Could not resist. I don't know how others feel, but every time someone mentions women's rights around me outside of a history class I smell a troll.

Back