• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ferguson, Missouri, in unrest after shooting of unarmed teenager

Years
Source #1

Source #2

Ferguson, Missouri (CNN) -- A new witness in the police shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, told CNN that Brown and the police officer tussled at the police car window, then the officer shot the teen multiple times, as Brown backed away.

"What I saw was when Michael and the cop were wrestling through the window," Tiffany Mitchell told CNN's Don Lemon. A shot was fired while Brown was out the window. He got free, and the officer got out of the vehicle, followed Brown and shot him, she said.

He raised his hands, and the officer kept firing, she said.

Police fired tear gas at a crowd of protesters late Wednesday for another night, as the group gathered to protest Brown's deadly shooting.

Officers in riot gear then marched toward the protesters near a burned out gas station, which has become the gathering point for demonstrations.

Police announced that they no longer considered the protest peaceful, before they fired the canisters, CNN producer Yon Pomrenze said. People fled in all directions, as the stinging clouds wafted by them.

A separate small group of over a dozen people gathered outside Ferguson's police station holding up signs and chanting protests for a fifth day.
Racial disparity in Ferguson police dept.
Michael Brown's friend describes shooting
Father: 'I just want justice for my son'

Officer not named

Police have said Brown died in a dangerous struggle after trying to grab the officer's weapon, but witnesses say it seemed a brazen act of aggression by the officer on Saturday, and that Brown was unarmed and not threatening.

On Wednesday, Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson told CNN that the officer had been hit and suffered swelling on the side of his face. He was taken to a hospital and released the same day, Jackson said.

Five days have passed since Brown's killing, and the public still does not know the name of the person who pulled the trigger.

There have been cries of a cover-up.

"That doesn't give the community confidence. That doesn't make it transparent," attorney Benjamin Crump told reporters. "And remember, we've got a long way to go before this community starts to believe that the police are going to give them all the answers and not try to sweep it under the rug."

Crump was one of the attorneys who represented the family of Trayvon Martin, the teenager who was killed in a 2012 altercation with Florida man George Zimmerman.

But Mayor James W. Knowles said police have received death threats against the officer and his family. They want to prevent further violence, he said.

Hackers have gone after his personal information and worked people up against members of government and the police, he said.

A town in turmoil -- 5 things about Ferguson, Missouri
Fatal shooting sparks looting, violence
Mom: 'You took my son away from me'
Ferguson Police chief: We want the truth

Trouble at night

Police have asked protesters to restrict their gatherings to daylight hours, after violence has broken out repeatedly after nightfall. Protests during the day have been peaceful.

Protests on Sunday and Monday ended with clashes with police and looting . Police have made 47 arrests after Brown's shooting, KMOV reported.

"We understand the anger; we understand that people want answers. We understand that we've got a problem, but we're just asking people to be peaceful," Jackson said.

The Ferguson-Florissant School District announced that it was pushing back the start of classes this year. School had been scheduled to resume Thursday.

Civil rights

Federal civil rights investigators and the FBI carry out their own inquiry into the controversial case. In the town of 21,000, there's a history of distrust between the predominantly black community and the largely white police force.

"Race relations is a top priority right now and, as I said, I'm working with the Department of Justice to improve that," Jackson told reporters Wednesday.

Only three of the city's 53 officers are African-American, and Jackson said he is working to change that.

Dorian Johnson, who said he saw the shooting, told CNN on Tuesday that the officer who opened fire is white.

Brown wanted to pursue an education and was keen on staying out of trouble, his mother said. He was to start classes at a local technical college this semester.

Merged the other thread with this one, as I feel we'd get better discussion with more details to go by.

Last edited:

Dr. Wiggles

Free Thinker
Years
Let me ask you this.

If the victim was white, do you think black people would be protesting? Do you think the kid would get shot?

We live in a world where most races feel inferior to others. It would make sense that people of the same race would protest the unjustified shooting of the kid.

Years
Years
It's gone beyond the shooting now. Now it's pretty much a topic of both press freedoms and the Militarization of police in the United States.

Enough is enough in Ferguson

Crowd control is a normal complement to any modern protest. And as I remember well from the late-Giuliani days in New York, crowd control sometimes gets heavy-handed when relationships between the police and the community are strained. But you do crowd control with horses, batons, and shields, not rifles. You point guns at dangerous, violent criminals, not people out for a march.

Years
Police militarisation is very much the fault of your country. You can't expect police to not have guns present when firearm ownership in the populace is so damn high. They would be putting themselves and civilians in danger if they could not respond with lethal force. Not that they are, as you quoted before non-lethal options like tear gas and rubber bullets are being employed.

Well that is quite the slippery slope argument considering that Police militarization further fuels the NRA paranoia of "oppressive, tyrannical government."

I'm very much a proponent of gun control, but the argument that just because everyone is armed to the teeth, means that the police have to also be armed with tanks and surplus military-grade equipment further fueling the paranoia in the streets is just too much of a stretch for me.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
It's very silly that because someone of the same race was shot you find it an excuse to riot and loot. Let the police do their job and investigate instead of engaging in vigilante violence. People are using an unclear event as an excuse to incite racial violence.

You're saying people should just let racism happen unopposed? The event isn't unclear because several eyewitnesses have given the same exact story while the police are attempting a coverup. And for what it's worth, the protests are peaceful demonstrations.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
This is ridiculous.

All of it.

There is no clear story. Right now it's word vs word and it turned into this absolute mess.

The Freedom of the Press and the Right to Assemble are true, until they limit the rights of others. It's basic gov't 101 people.

The reason these protesters are getting arrested? Because they are idiots. Plain and simple. They are going into restricted areas and not listening to the police. They are attacking officers and looting. They are harassing locals and impeding everyday life. They are invading the rights of others. So no, this 'protesting' of theirs isn't protesting. It's a wannabe riot that I give kudos to the police for keeping it in check as they have. Things could be a lot worse. They responded well.

The media is blowing this far out of proportion. It is using it to egg people on, and people are eating this **** up with this social justice attitude that the internet and social media have infected people with. It's disgusting.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
It's the U.S. 'nuff said. Seriously, things like this occur so often in the U.S. that really, I just shrug my shoulders and go on to the next story. Until people down there actually start to grow up a little, things like this will continue to happen. But I forgot, it's a "me me me" type world we live in.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I don't know much about the situation (floods and torrential downpours usually are kind of distracting in that way) but I feel the kid's death is clearly unnecessary, but I also feel like sometimes the protests take it too far, and take something that concerned police brutality and a person's racism to paint entire groups of people as horrible, while spreading mistrust to boot.

Events like this are extremely troublesome for racial relations, because of the sheer aftereffect that things like this have. Part of the reason why so many people in Detroit genuinely believe that every white person is out to get them is because of a long history of individual events like this. The biggest problem with this is that - while they have a right to be angry - applying this attitude towards everyone you meet only encourages more racism. It's a spiral that goes so quickly out of control that in some areas its practically impossible to manage.

This is absolutely why I believe that branding an entire group of people, even if some individuals in that group have committed horrible deeds against your group, is wrong. Hatred simply begets more hatred. I watched it evolve around me, growing up, seeing how white people and black people who insisted on focusing on their differences. I always try to give people a chance, but some people brand me as detestable because I'm white. It makes me upset, especially considering I've never met that person. It's this **** that makes most people not turn around. I know that not everyone is like me and some people judge on their past experiences. It needs to stop, on both ends. This is extremely unhealthy towards any activism, and absolutely needs to stop.

The only way this is going to get better is when people genuinely stop giving a **** and treat people like people.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
It's very silly that because someone of the same race was shot you find it an excuse to riot and loot. Let the police do their job and investigate instead of engaging in vigilante violence. People are using an unclear event as an excuse to incite racial violence.
Racial prejudices are unfortunately very, very real. Because of black history in particular, and how it was only a few years ago where they were battling for freedom themselves, black people often stick up for another more than other racial classes when they think they're being mistreated. The kid was shot without any rhyme or reason. He was unarmed, and witnesses even state that he was a good distance away from the officer. He was shot repeatedly afterwards, which was unwarranted. People protested. They got dealt with using a great deal of force than was really necessary, to my understanding, and things escalated from there. The man who shot the kid is still working. The community is made up of a majority of blacks. The law enforcement is made up of a majority of whites.

Rioting and looting wasn't the original purpose of protesting. I think it just escalated to a point where that's what eventually happened. The police are using extreme force against everyone in the community. Even reporters are being pretty much attacked by the police.

Look at pictures of it, and it looks like its literally a war zone.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/powerful-scenes-ferguson-missouri-24953212/image-24979950

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
This event really stirs wonder in me as to the fate of the United States as a country. As a world power, will it implode like Rome or will it take the smart road like the Britons did and back out slowly and carefully? Knowing American idiocy and given the fact that the Romans and the Britons have proven more intelligent than them, who knows.

It's the fall of another great power, eaten by human conceit. These issues hint towards its apparent gradual downfall, don't they?

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
This event really stirs wonder in me as to the fate of the United States as a country. As a world power, will it implode like Rome or will it take the smart road like the Britons did and back out slowly and carefully? Knowing American idiocy and given the fact that the Romans and the Britons have proven more intelligent than them, who knows.

It's the fall of another great power, eaten by human conceit. These issues hint towards its apparent gradual downfall, don't they?

The U.S. has certainly fallen a long way. I don't quite know that it'll go as far as you suggest, but it certainly has dug itself into quite a hole from which to climb out of. It's not insurmountable, but not easy either.

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
Years
What we may be seeing with the rise in these tragic shootings of unarmed, black civilians and the censorship of the media is the rise of a Dystopian police state in America, much like the novel 1984 tried warning us about a long while back.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I hate to say it, but I'm going to.

If it was a black cop that shot a white kid, this wouldn't have become what it has.

Plain and simple.

No, I'm not racist, I'm just pointing out a fact, a social stigma. I've seen people pull the race card nearly every day of my life. What's the classic line that people say a black person says when a white person does something? We've all heard it. If you arrest them, fire them, whatever? "It's because I'm black/Just because I'm black." No, it's because you have a warrant against you, did something wrong, or you didn't do your job. But no, you need to turn it into a racial issue when it really wasn't.

Where were the riots against racial and black violence a few weeks ago when 60 youth were killed in Chicago? Or how about the dozens of drive bys? What about those that are victims like little girls on tricycles that are hit by stray bullets? No, this little show is just using a sad, sad thing into something more than it really is. Have you seen many pictures of Mike Brown? Of him with alcohol (despite being underage), a wad of cash in his mouth, flashing gang signs and holding a pistol? Or how about the reports that the officer that was involved was sent to the hospital because Brown beat the side of his face? There are too many stories, and too many changing stories going around.

And those journalists that were arrested? Were arrested in MASS ARRESTS and just HAPPENED TO BE THERE. it wasn't an attack against the press. It was officers trying to find the guilty amongst the innocent. A few hours in a holding cell or going through booking or getting your ID checked isn't going to kill you. And these 'journalists' that are using Twitter as a means to record this need to stop. Anyone can take a picture, post it on Twitter, and say they are a journalist.

I know people that live in the area. They are saying that people are looting all over the town, and that's not making news. People are lighting and tossing molotovs just for the hell of it. They are damaging personal property and invading other people's lives. Yes, there are those that are peaceful, but until those who are peaceful can reign in their fellows, they will never get the results they want.

Even if the cop was in the wrong for the shooting, he will get his due. It is not the people's right to judge him. It is the court's. That is how our justice system works. Instead people jumped the department's **** and turned the town into a war zone. They did this to themselves. And many locals want none of it.

I really hate social justice crusaders, I really do. They hurt the cause more than they put it forward.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Have you seen many pictures of Mike Brown? Of him with alcohol (despite being underage), a wad of cash in his mouth, flashing gang signs and holding a pistol? Or how about the reports that the officer that was involved was sent to the hospital because Brown beat the side of his face? There are too many stories, and too many changing stories going around.

I'm not going to touch the racism in this post, I just wanted to correct some misinformation: 1) most of those pictures aren't even Mike Brown but that shouldn't even matter, 2) the officer is completely fine. He uploaded a picture to his facebook and he had not even a scratch. Nothing. The only story that is changing is the story told by the cops and the media.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
What we may be seeing with the rise in these tragic shootings of unarmed, black civilians and the censorship of the media is the rise of a Dystopian police state in America, much like the novel 1984 tried warning us about a long while back.
well, that's clearly not going to happen. have you ever even read 1984? maybe there are little indications that we MIGHT be heading that way, but if you think that it's going to get anywhere near as severe as it was in that novel then you're silly. we're not a 'dystopia.' nor will we ever become one, most likely. dystopias work because they take an issue and they blow it up to an extreme, in a way satirizing something and exaggerating it to prove a point. I don't think they're meant to be taken literally.

anyway, anything I have to say about the actual topic at hand has already been said countless times by people more articulate than I, so I'll back out of that.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I know people that live in the area. They are saying that people are looting all over the town, and that's not making news. People are lighting and tossing molotovs just for the hell of it. They are damaging personal property and invading other people's lives. Yes, there are those that are peaceful, but until those who are peaceful can reign in their fellows, they will never get the results they want.

I live in St.Louis City, they mentioned most of the businesses that were looted on our local news. Over a dozen businesses were looted on Sunday night/early Monday morning. http://fox2now.com/2014/08/10/repor...rs-damage-police-vehicles-on-west-florissant/
The one that drew the most attention, was the Quiktrip convenience store on West Florissant, which was burned down and looted.
And even more have happened since, two I remember particularly were a Shoe Carnival and a Radio Shack in South St.Louis City early Wednesday morning.

Thank God more details are coming in now. This morning the name of officer who shot Brown. His name is Darren Wilson, and he's a six year vet of the police force and has never had disciplinary action. http://ux.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/15/michael-brown-ferguson-officer-name-release/14097589/

According to Wilson, he received a around 11:48 am on Saturday about a robbery at the Quiktrip. It is said that Mike Brown had stolen cigars , so it's more likely not a case of race in this situation. Wilson just received a report of a robbery and was doing his duty. Apparently Brown was unarmed. There's still a lot of indefinite answers at the moment, though.

I honestly think both the police and the rioters are taking the situation over-hand. As someone who lives in the area, I'm honestly tired of hearing about the case. It's the only thing our news has reported about all week. I just want things to be handled more peacefully and to settle down. I'm kind of uncomfortable leaving my house , knowing there's a possibility of something happening. I really hope it's boiled down a bit by Monday cause I'm gonna hate going to school. I'm gonna hate it if I'm one the bus to school and then someone decides to protest by shooting or hijacking. I know it's very unlikely that will happen, but it still bothers me there's chance it could. I hope this all ends soon and my city can get through this. I love living here and I hate seeing my city and metro area in this mess.

Edit: Nevermind, they confirmed, the robbery isn't connected to Brown. God knows what is all happening.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
This is ridiculous. I will not, and care not to further read into an already idiotic situation. The Police shot and killed a teen. Accidents happen. What makes this case so interesting is the fact that it happened in Missouri, and not in a 'Gang Land'. What makes this even more enraging is the fact that the cameras are focused on 'what's hip' and not what's important. The entire ordeal has been blown out of proportion by the news, by protesters, and unfortunately, by the police themselves. If the news had not covered the story step by step, further fueling the anger of residents sitting in their homes, prompting them to pick up a torch. . . who knows?

Also, looters are opportunistic. These are not the people who particularly care that a boy was shot and killed, but care more about making off while the police figure out how to approach the situation. It also doesn't help that people on this forum insult Americans for their 'lack of intellect' because that argument is just plain stupid. There are stupid people in every country, so suck it up and deal with it. Further more, if it weren't for the USA's crazy obsession with the military, you most likely wouldn't be talking to people over the damned internet.

This is a riot over the shooting of a kid. We've seen larger riots before, the Watts riots (Watts was arrested during a traffic stop), and the Rodney King riots (Police Brutality), and both happened in LA. The Rodney King riots ended in 11,000 arrests, 2000 injuries and 53 deaths. Just to put this Missouri riot in perspective. I'm sure the Officers have these numbers in the back of their mind when they're trying to cool the situation.

Years
  • Age 30
  • No.
  • Seen Sep 1, 2018
This is ridiculous. I will not, and care not to further read into an already idiotic situation. The Police shot and killed a teen. Accidents happen. What makes this case so interesting is the fact that it happened in Missouri, and not in a 'Gang Land'. What makes this even more enraging is the fact that the cameras are focused on 'what's hip' and not what's important. The entire ordeal has been blown out of proportion by the news, by protesters, and unfortunately, by the police themselves. If the news had not covered the story step by step, further fueling the anger of residents sitting in their homes, prompting them to pick up a torch. . . who knows?

Also, looters are opportunistic. These are not the people who particularly care that a boy was shot and killed, but care more about making off while the police figure out how to approach the situation. It also doesn't help that people on this forum insult Americans for their 'lack of intellect' because that argument is just plain stupid. There are stupid people in every country, so suck it up and deal with it. Further more, if it weren't for the USA's crazy obsession with the military, you most likely wouldn't be talking to people over the damned internet.

This is a riot over the shooting of a kid. We've seen larger riots before, the Watts riots (Watts was arrested during a traffic stop), and the Rodney King riots (Police Brutality), and both happened in LA. The Rodney King riots ended in 11,000 arrests, 2000 injuries and 53 deaths. Just to put this Missouri riot in perspective. I'm sure the Officers have these numbers in the back of their mind when they're trying to cool the situation.

Response to the bold=I agree with you there.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024

Accidents happen? "Accident's happen" is what you have to say to a policeman killing someone?

I mostly agree with what you have to say, because I agree that this is all just senseless at this point. But it's been stated that this wasn't an accident, and even if it was, then it should be met with a more serious response than dismissing it as an accident. Even though he was shot multiple times while unarmed.

Back