• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ferguson, Missouri, in unrest after shooting of unarmed teenager

Demon Wolf

American Wolf
Years
Accidents happen? "Accident's happen" is what you have to say to a policeman killing someone?

I mostly agree with what you have to say, because I agree that this is all just senseless at this point. But it's been stated that this wasn't an accident, and even if it was, then it should be met with a more serious response than dismissing it as an accident. Even though he was shot multiple times while unarmed.

COPS ARE CROOKED!!! Well its true if ya like it or not! Cops do drugs (not all but some do) remember treyvon Martin? Was dat an accident? and race plays a big role in america look at our politicians! our politicians are crooked by doing drugs etc and they r white a big majority are. My theory on why Obama became president is dat our politicians don't wanna be looked at as RACIST!!! Go down to da 1st president till now.

Years
It's very hard to draw any conclusion on whether the policeman involved in the shooting behaved appropriately because of the lack of consistent information.

Most importantly, the shooting needs to be investigated by an independent body and not the police force itself.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
The civil rights movement was politely asking, they were asking in the 80s, the 90s. Most protesters are still asking. Some were demanding with the LA riots, the St Petersburg riots, the Oakland riots. They try to ask, they try to demand, there is still no action. The peaceful demonstrations, organisations and public speakers still vastly outnumber the violent protesters; but we don't ever hear about them do we? The focus will still always be on those small few that resort to violence, to dehumanize the community.

Hundreds of years of racism and persecution and ghettos still exist, institutional racism and poverty is still a massive problem. Black kids are getting shot for petty crimes constantly. I am a proponent for non-violence and feel that violence does not solve any problem, but can you really blame anybody for getting so angry? There hasn't even been much violence, there has been looting, which is an opportunistic crime that comes about as a result of poverty, but that's a separate matter. I can't really understand the feelings, how could I because I haven't lived that life, but I can entirely sympathise with what is going on. How much anger and frustration would you feel if your community, your entire country even, reflected none of your interests and continuously left you in a bad situation with no support; when your own policemen who are supposed to protect you are shooting your children? Then you have some people still spewing the same old "let the police do their job and investigate" how is anyone supposed to trust the police when police brutality is commonplace and they continuously try to cover up the abuse? When black kids are shot and justice is not served time and time again. It deeply saddens me that humanity thrives on ignorance, prejudice and misinformation, and this entire situation is a prime example. This has been going on for decades.

Do your research. Discover how much injustice there is against black people, in the USA in particular. Read how the vast majority of protesters are in fact peaceful, but nobody is listening to them. They have never truly listened. Do not believe your news programs, they have an agenda (and not just about racial issues mind you, but about every story they cover). Try and place yourself in the shoes of your fellow human beings who are in a very real struggle.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I'm not going to touch the racism in this post, I just wanted to correct some misinformation: 1) most of those pictures aren't even Mike Brown but that shouldn't even matter, 2) the officer is completely fine. He uploaded a picture to his facebook and he had not even a scratch. Nothing. The only story that is changing is the story told by the cops and the media.

They are of Mike Brown. Taken from his facebook.

Image removed because misleading. I was wrong. Woops.

Real innocent kid.

Profiling happens. If you dress like a thug, act like a thug, you'll be treated like one, because chances are, that you are one. How many gang bangers do you see walking the town in a two piece suit?

No, his innocence, or his appearance isn't what we should be focusing on. His actions speak for themselves.

The kid was wanted for robbery. Stealing and assaulting a worker at a gas station. The officer didn't know that Brown was the suspect, but Brown knew he was. He assaulted the officer. His face was hit, his face swollen. We still don't know the whole story until forensics comes through. This wasn't a killing in cold blood. This was a situation that escalated and misjudged, on both sides.

Last edited:

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
And again, I say, I'm not racist. I don't give a single **** what skin color people are. People are people. There are good people and bad people, and just... people. The only time I DO give a **** is when people turn things into racial issues, when they really aren't. This whole thing? It's this mentality that's been put into people's heads.

And you do not know what media I read. Actually, it's very minimal, and usually it's only 'official' media. None of that twitter and blogging and side sites ********.

It's been fifty years since the marches. Fifty. And where have we progressed since then? Is this ****, the looting, the riot, the blatant racism, against blacks and against whites, is this what they marched for fifty years ago? What they marched for fifty years ago was equality. Equality. That all are made equal. How would those that walked those days respond to these people's actions? I can tell you. Disgrace. Disgust.

These rioters and looters are acting like nothing more than animals. Yes, animals. They are burning down their own communities. How stupid can you be? They are not being selfless and defending justice for a poor young man that was killed, no. They are selfish *******s taking advantage of the chaos to get a fecking free hot dog and Cheetos, or maybe steal a tv from radio shack.

And the actual protesters? They are JUST AS STUPID. Yes. Just as stupid. Because where were they? Hmm? Where was the NAACP when Billy drove by Johnny's house and shot it up, killing Johnny, his baby sister and his mom? Where are they in the war against black on black violence? Where are they for black on white violence? They are supposed to represent their community, yet they only show up now... into the spotlight now, why? Because now people finally asked, after looting and rioting and burning and violence, people finally asked where they were.

I'll say it again, if Mike Brown had been a white kid, none of this would have escalated as it had. Isn't that sad? Wrong? Cause it is.

Though I will punch the person who gave me that link for the pic upside the head. Sorry, I thought that was Mike Brown, my ignorance.

I suggest you watch this video that is slowly going viral. This man speaks truths.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
And you do not know what media I read. Actually, it's very minimal, and usually it's only 'official' media. None of that twitter and blogging and side sites ********.
That's your problem
It's one piece of a very large puzzle mate, this is not an isolated incident, that is why it's a race issue.

Please tell me one good explanation for an unarmed teenager to be murdered. Is theft or agression worthy of death? Even if you were mad enough to say yes, I'm sure we would at least agree it should be taken to court before a sentence is given. This death sentence was delivered on the streets.

Years
Please tell me one good explanation for an unarmed teenager to be murdered. Is theft or agression worthy of death? Even if you were mad enough to say yes, I'm sure we would at least agree it should be taken to court before a sentence is given. This death sentence was delivered on the streets.

The point others are trying to make it that it is pointless to jump to conclusions like this without a clear understanding of what actually happened. No one here is condoning the shooting of an unarmed teenager, and therefore do not need to defend that position to you.

Rioting and committing crimes is not going to help the relationship with police and the members of the community rioting - it will only make things worse. Distrust fuels distrust on both sides, which will probably lead to more unfortunate encounters like this in the future.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
The point others are trying to make it that it is pointless to jump to conclusions like this without a clear understanding of what actually happened. No one here is condoning the shooting of an unarmed teenager, and therefore do not need to defend that position to you.

Rioting and committing crimes is not going to help the relationship with police and the members of the community rioting - it will only make things worse. Distrust fuels distrust on both sides, which will probably lead to more unfortunate encounters like this in the future.

The looters and the protesters are not necessarily the same people - to assume that is to assume ill intentions on the side of the protesters, which would make me question why you jump to defend the police officer while also jumping to demonize those looking for justice by equating them with the people "rioting and committing crimes".

http://www.infowars.com/police-in-ferguson-fire-tear-gas-amid-looting-protesters-protect-stores/

I'm certain I can safely assume that you're against judging an entire group on the actions of a few. One can support the protesters and believe that justice isn't being served while separating them from those that are breaking the law and condemning their actions. Just because they are angry about the same thing doesn't mean they're the same people. Saying "but there's rioting and looting!" distracts from the issue at hand - there is no reason why one person should not get justice because other people are committing crimes. And there is certainly no reason why peaceful protesters and journalists should be tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets because other people are committing crimes and the police department isn't competent enough to move beyond blunt tools to handle the situation.

Years
The looters and the protesters are not necessarily the same people - to assume that is to assume ill intentions on the side of the protesters, which would make me question why you jump to defend the police officer while also jumping to demonize those looking for justice by equating them with the people "rioting and committing crimes".

http://www.infowars.com/police-in-ferguson-fire-tear-gas-amid-looting-protesters-protect-stores/

I'm certain I can safely assume that you're against judging an entire group on the actions of a few. One can support the protesters and believe that justice isn't being served while separating them from those that are breaking the law and condemning their actions. Just because they are angry about the same thing doesn't mean they're the same people. Saying "but there's rioting and looting!" distracts from the issue at hand - there is no reason why one person should not get justice because other people are committing crimes. And there is certainly no reason why peaceful protesters and journalists should be tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets because other people are committing crimes and the police department isn't competent enough to move beyond blunt tools to handle the situation.

I think you misinterpret my position. I have no problem with people peacefully protesting. My comment clearly mentions rioters and looters only.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Protesters claim they want "justice" by shouting on the streets when justice is served in a court room after evidence is properly presented and the accused gets a fair trial. They don't get any say in a case that has nothing to do with them. Justice isn't jumping the gun and ordering one man to be punished to appease an angry mob.

Justice is hardly ever served by the American criminal justice system in cases like these. Our criminal justice system only seeks to maintain racial, social, and economic order and is for profit (e.g, the racist War On Drugs). Justice isn't jumping the gun and murdering a non-threatening, unarmed teen and then getting paid leave instead of being arrested. Justice is ordering that one guilty man be arrested and having that happen.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think you misinterpret my position. I have no problem with people peacefully protesting. My comment clearly mentions rioters and looters only.

So the "unfortunate incident" that you're trying to hint will happen again is a police officer somehow knowing that this person on the street was a rioter and shooting them?

Years
I think it's rather telling about this whole situation when onlookers see the situation in Ferguson and the closest comparison they have is to Baghdad. Let's remember, the rioters and looters and people seeking to create unrest doesn't speak for everyone out protesting - and they have plenty to protest about.

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Potentially that "guilty" man is guilty of doing nothing but his job, police officers have the right to use lethal force if they feel their life is in danger. Witness accounts mean very little unless they can be corroborated and extensively questioned, even polygraphed, it's not like humans don't lie or even just have inconsistent memories. He should get paid leave and only have charges laid pending the outcome of a thorough investigation, does "innocent until proven guilty" mean anything to you? And y'know, what if he is charged but found not guilty, what then? Are people going to go on some more riots against the "racist" system, seek some vigilante "justice" of their own? I have no respect for social justice warriors, they're worse than what they claim they're fighting against.

All these protests do is hinder rather than help. All these angry people out there, do they actually know what happened or do they just hear what they want to hear for an excuse to bash the government. The best course of action is patience, the truth will be revealed in due course.

If the protests are that much of a hindrance, then they should arrest the man so it all would stop. Self defense needs to be proven in court, and is not an excuse to avoid indictment and get paid leave.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
It's not that simple.

The problem with the protests is that they are not doing anything to actually bring justice. This is not a peaceful protest. They are not promoting anything to actually bring this man to justice by letting everything go around mad. Both sides are acting unacceptably, and just because the protesters have a reason does not justify their Machiavellian means.

Sure, these people definitely have the right to be pissed (just like people had the right to be pissed back in the Detroit riots of 1967) but they are going to simply repeat what history has done in the past - the wealthy individuals who can leave will leave and those who cannot will stay behind; business will flee the region because of the political unrest and it will delve into a city of crime. There is a reason why Detroit fell and it's because of this same pointless ********, derived from a truly understandable root cause.

Perhaps one of the most destructive effects of this riot is to separate the wealthy from the poor even more in Detroit than ever before - and because of lingering difficulties with the black community in the past, more black people than white people remained. This attributed the "white flight" (which was truly a "wealthy flight" - many black people with the funds left, and many disadvantaged white folk were forced to stay behind) to the source of the problems, fueling even more racism inside of the city towards whites. In addition, the more disruption, corruption and destruction of Detroit, which, again, the fleeing people attributed to race as opposed to income, fueled racism against blacks in more affluent areas such as Oakland County. Racial tension still exists today - many black people assume that white people inherently hate them and vice versa. The only major difference between this and the 1967 riot bar size is that one is based on wealth, the other race. But it will lead to the same ******** in the end. I've already seen crap spreading on both sides about how you can't trust [whatever] people. This is exactly what happened after the 1967 riots.

Many people that I have spoken to that lived through these riots in Detroit, especially black people, attribute the riots to increased racial tension in the region and the downfall of the city in general. It has improved substantially in the last 15 years by both sides lowering their racial tension between the two. As I pointed out previously in this thread, the more people focus on our differences, the more divided that people become and the more real intolerance grows. It is imperative that people stop this ******** and bring the oppressors down to their level and sympathize with them (and many people have done this) as opposed to further fueling the fire (unfortunately other people have done this as well).

It is imperative to remember that such events are certainly not armchair sciences and must be observed through the voices of the people who have witnessed them and not through those who have read some books on some incidents. I base my opinions on the voices of those who have lived through similar upheavals.

I frankly do not believe that the protests/riots going on right now are going to be anywhere near the scale of the Detroit 1967 riot, nor have the same impact on the city, but to believe that they are acceptable in their current state because they are "justified" is foolish. The most effective dissidents in history were those who made the opposition sympathize with their problems, not terrorize them until they fled with their resources and economy.

Finally, the cops are not bound by the results of the protest. They can simply just arrest these individuals and charge them with various crimes. Will that really make the cops think about what they did wrong or will that just further fuel more tension?

It's not as simple as "they have the right to be pissed". There's also an element of being able to maintain enough stability socially to prevent even more problems in the future.

Last edited:
Years
Your posts are filled with blatant racism and general ignorance so I'm not going to bother responding to each little thing. Sorry.

1) If a white kid had been shot, it WOULD have been different. The officer would have been arrested/fired/tried and the media would be talking about how he was so promising, was such a good kind and whatever else instead of painting him as a thug like you were trying to do.

This white guy fired a gun at bystanders and police and they arrested him. James Holmes (the theatre shooter) gunned down 12 people and injured dozens more and they arrested him and talked about how he was a promising science student or s/t. A white college student was choked by an officer and passed out. The officer was fired. An officer shot a dog while investigating a crime at someone's house. The officer was fired.

Meanwhile, Mike Brown is SUSPECTED of robbery and supposedly resists arrest and gets shot dead. John Crawford picked up a bb gun in Walmart and gets shot dead (while white people walk around with rifle on their shoulders lol). Another black man was suspected of stealing something from a vending stand and the police strangled him to death. Nothing happened to any of those officers.

You can whine about people "playing the race card" all you want, but that doesn't make it any less of a racial issue. This article that someone linked on another forum makes a lot of good points about racial profiling:

Did you know that people with black-sounding names are 50% less likely to be called back for an interview than people with identical resumes but white-sounding names? Or that while black youth are less likely to abuse drugs or alcohol than white youth, they are 10 times more likely to be sent to prison for drug offenses than are whites? Blacks receive higher sentences than whites for the same crimes, and receive higher penalties when the victims are white than when the victims are other African Americans. In one year, 80% of those sentenced for crack cocaine offenses were black while less than 1/3 of crack cocaine users were black. One in three black men can expect to spend time in prison at some point in their lives. Whites are more likely to pull a trigger on a black assailant than a white one.

This also sums up the whole "why does race matter" thing pretty well, and this photo compares the headlines of white shooters vs. black shooters.

2) Wilson didn't stop Brown because he was a robbery suspect because the store owners (who appeared on various news stations) never reported one. This video also shows Brown paying for the cigars he supposedly stole. So why did Wilson stop him? Stopping traffic, apparently, but it was a quiet residential area so how is that possible? And why did Wilson use such excessive force? Why not just tell him to move to the sidewalk? The supposed struggle over the weapon never happened according to eye witnesses, and they all have the same story. Wilson was a trained police officer, SURELY he could have handled one unarmed teen who's only crime was waling in the middle of a street.

You're telling me that a police officer shooting a kid six plus times (after he had his hands up, after he fell to the ground and after he DIED) for apparently blocking traffic is justified? This sums up the problems with the actions of the police pretty well.

3) The protests were peaceful and completely justified. The looters were mostly out of towners and drunk teens; there are tons of pictures of regular residents defending the stores from looters and protesting peacefully. Any violence came about after the police came at them with ****ing tear gas and army equipment.

The police reaction to the protests were WAY out of line. Like... do you seriously not see the problem in tear gassing (which I'm pretty sure the use of is a human rights violation) peaceful protesters (some of whom were children?). Riot gear, tear gas, rifles, dogs and tanks is NOT the way you react to something like this (they were also quoted shouting "bring it on you ****ing animals". It's not a race issues?). It's insane. The bottom half of this describes the situation pretty well (and the rest of the story).

4) It's funny how you, a white person, are complaining about "pulling the race card". You don't think black people would know a little more about what racism is like than you?

5) " Have you seen many pictures of Mike Brown? Of him with alcohol (despite being underage), a wad of cash in his mouth, flashing gang signs and holding a pistol?"

This is disgusting. Like honestly, what the hell is wrong with you. So now underage drinking and holding cash in your mouth is enough of a reason to be shot while unarmed? And anyway, as has already been pointed out to you, most of those pictures are not actually of Mike Brown.

6) The officer wasn't beaten or sent to hospital. Those reports were false.

7) "Even if the cop was in the wrong for the shooting, he will get his due."

Really? Then why is he STILL on paid leave? Why did it take so long to have his name released? Why did the police station release time stamped footage from JUNE and try to pass it off as footage of Brown robbing the store? Why are the police still focusing on the robbery and supposed criminal actions of Brown instead of the man who shot an unarmed teen?

I really hate social justice crusaders, I really do. They hurt the cause more than they put it forward.
Yeah, the people educating themselves on social inequality and speaking out against injustice are the problem. Not, you know, the racist police force or the media making Brown out to be a thug or the KKK or people murdering trans/queer people or the men thinking it's okay to rape a women. Grow up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017

Witness accounts corroborate and say that he was shot for no good reason. Inititial forensics suggest the shots weren't at close range. Darren Wilson didn't even call in any incident and apparently he wasn't even aware of the "alleged" robbery (I say alleged, because there is no evidence to show he did, he pushed the store clerk, that doesn't automatically mean theft). There is literally no evidence to suggest he's guilty of anything other than pushing a man. As I said before, even if there was concrete evidence that he robbed this store, how is that an excuse to shoot someone. Self defense? ********. Cops have other tools for that, you don't shoot a guy if he's being aggressive (again, no evidence says he was). You shoot a guy if he has a gun. Mike Brown had no gun and was shot SIX times, twice in the head. Let's go hypothetical, and say that a gun had to be used for self defence, and no other method was viable; you don't shoot a man in the head to defend yourself. "when a target is running on adrenaline or drugs" what? Please give me a credible source that says he was on drugs, you literally just made that up. You people just constantly come up with "what if" scenarios based on no evidence to try and suggest Mike Brown deserved what he got.

Did you read Oryx post above? Your entire post is on the assumption that Ferguson is a "riot" an "angry mob" and that the majority of protestors aren't peaceful, which is simply not the case.

Also to categorize this as solely black vs. white is not really accurate. It's the fact that white people make up the police, it's the fact that whites hold all the power in a mostly black town, that's the racial issue. The immediate issue is the police are being far too heavy handed.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Your posts are filled with blatant racism and general ignorance so I'm not going to bother responding to each little thing. Sorry.
While I do not agree with Phantom's wording, I think this post needs a serious evaluation. While I do generally agree with the fact that these people certainly have the right for peaceful protest, there are some serious problems with your post. Time to put on the devil's advocate hat on today. because if I don't say that I swear to god this debate forum will practically get off to perceived racism

1) If a white kid had been shot, it WOULD have been different. The officer would have been arrested/fired/tried and the media would be talking about how he was so promising, was such a good kind and whatever else instead of painting him as a thug like you were trying to do.
This is not necessarily true. I live near Detroit, where you hear about this kind of stuff happening frequently. While I do not agree with Phantom's language and I do feel that the protesters have the right to be angry, I know damn well that unless that white kid is perceived as an "innocent young girl", you aren't going to hear two ****s about that person dying. Phantom is specifically pointing out how the media preys on how people try to seek social injustice to call out. I feel that while Brown's death is unnecessary, I think that it does not deserve any less media attention than all of the other people who die or are injured by police brutality.

Meanwhile, Mike Brown is SUSPECTED of robbery and supposedly resists arrest and gets shot dead. John Crawford picked up a bb gun in Walmart and gets shot dead (while white people walk around with rifle on their shoulders lol). Another black man was suspected of stealing something from a vending stand and the police strangled him to death. Nothing happened to any of those officers.
First off, it is completely irrelevant whether or not anyone committed a crime or not. Why are you bringing it up?

Second, while I do not agree with the idea that people are profiled based on their race, it is possible that they were profiled on other things - in Detroit, for example, profiling is more of a problem based on income. Because it is more likely that black people have a lower income, it's more likely that they will face difficulties. It's not right but it's not necessarily racist - people from low income areas who are white in Detroit often face discrimination as well.

Third, I'd like to point out that police brutality is a nationwide problem and even though some people have gotten their just deserts, it's not restricted to race. It's likely that it is underreported for the same media reasons I pointed out above - police brutality involving perceived racism makes a much more interesting story.

You can whine about people "playing the race card" all you want, but that doesn't make it any less of a racial issue. This article that someone linked on another forum makes a lot of good points about racial profiling:

This also sums up the whole "why does race matter" thing pretty well, and this photo compares the headlines of white shooters vs. black shooters.
Jesus Christ, these sources are terrible. I can feel the sjw-sauce just leaking from my screen. Ick.

The first is not a source, it's a guy ranting about how he perceives himself having "white privilege". The concept of privilege is non-quantifiable and trying to make a discussion about it as if it is is fruitless. Some of the points that the guy brings up are also moot - the thing about the "names" is due to the fact that we are in an English speaking culture and that we prefer names that have been used in English for years - I don't agree with it, but it also affects people with Asian sounding names as well, as well as those who use regular nouns such as "Destiny" or "Wren" as their name (which is a growing trend in lower income white families). In fact, many Asian families have people with two names to counteract this particular issue.

When people tell me, "Oh if you were in an all [whatever] place you would care". I live near ****ing Detroit. I live in a city right next to Pontiac, Michigan, with a black population of over 50%. When you are there, most people are black. I still don't give a ****. The only time I give a **** is when people are specifically racist to me. Most times they are not. Most of the time that I meet a friendly person, we have a good discussion.

Dearborn, Michigan consists of 40% Arab Americans. Again, I never felt any tension between people who were not racist. Namely because I don't give two ****s about that. Most white people who live there also do not give a ****, and in fact, Dearborn is one of the best places in the world to show that Muslims are not always evil, because it is the largest Muslim population outside of Muslim countries in the world.

The reason why people who, for example, live in certain African countries may face pressures is because in some countries white people are currently oppressed - and don't give me that garbage that "oh 100 years ago they were occupied by white european countries" THE SPECIFIC PEOPLE WHO ARE CURRENTLY ENCOUNTERING THIS **** WERE NOT INVOLVED NOR MADE THE CONSCIOUS DECISION TO DO SUCH THINGS. Again, base this **** on the PERSON, not on the RACE. If you do the latter you are still a racist, no matter how much verbal social justice gymnastics you do.

In fact, the fact that people still say this garbage just shows that they are still overly invested in race.

Do yourself a favour and avoid the **** out of tumblr when doing a debate. Unless it's a post with a list and just a list of links that do not lead back to tumblr or sensationalist websites (read: things like .gov websites or several verified news outlets), it's best to avoid it. The first part of the post reads like a ****ing black panther campaign. Not only this, but I would let this post slide if it weren't for the fact that almost half of those sources on that page are from Tumblr or other social blogging websites themselves! People can say whatever the hell they want on those sites - hardly reliable sources. Another common source on this list is TheDailyMail, a site commonly ridiculed for it's extremist stances and exaggeration of the facts - not to mention blatant plagiarism. The same complaints can be said about the Huffington post - I have seen some of the most ridiculous things written by radical feminists and similar social justice groups on there. Most of the sources that this individual provides focus on stirring people emotionally and exaggerates the facts to do so. Once you filter through that, you have about 5-6 stories from the NYtimes, which, while I have no idea whether or not they are a decent source, they are the only other source that is mentioned that isn't nigh propaganda.

Perhaps the most problematic thing about that post is that it does not take into account the culture of various areas in western society. The culture found in, say, California, is probably much different than in Ferguson. Why is this important? Because these kinds of posts say blanket statements about all cultures, and may instill fear regarding issues that may not exist or may be much smaller than they are in other cultures. Again, as I have stated in this post, in Detroit, people are more segregated through income than race - those who are low income face far more discrimination and profiling than those who are clearly higher income. The reason why there are less people who make higher incomes that are black is because they faced racism in the past, and its difficult to work yourself through poverty. Many people misattribute it to racism (and create racism in the process), even though white people who live in poverty in Detroit face the same discrimination.

And that image from Tumblr? First, that image from tumblr points out two articles. Second, this should be a criticism of how the media presents itself, which is likely part of what Phantom is annoyed with in the first place, as opposed to the fact that "omg teh polizes have teh racists!". Third, and most importantly - the media specifically targets racial matters to report on because of the simple fact that they are going to gain more attraction from people as opposed to those that do not.

2) IF Mike Brown was guilty of the robbery (the store owners never even reported a robbery, so...), that does not excuse the way Wilson acted. This sums up the problems with how he acted (and what the police have reported in general) pretty well. There was NO reason for Brown to be shot.

The supposed struggle over the weapon never happened according to eye witnesses, and they all have the same story. Wilson was a trained police officer, SURELY he could have handled one unarmed teen that he only suspected of breaking a crime.
I agree with this point. However, this also does not justify violent protest. Many businesses for example have faced destruction regardless of whether or not they were racist in any way, nor if they were involved with the officer or the shooting.

Also, again, please avoid tumblr for sources.

3) The protests were peaceful and completely justified. The looters were mostly out of towners and drunk teens; there are tons of pictures of regular residents defending the stores from looters and protesting peacefully.
Unfortunately, it is not the people that are protesting peacefully that people will care about. There were also individuals who protested peacefully in the Detroit riot of 1967, but that didn't turn out so well. Even if they are a minority it's a wrongful minority that has not been properly addressed. I do not agree with the police's reaction to the events, however, continued riots will give them fuel to justify their wrongful actions. Why give these *******s a defence?

The police reaction to the protests were WAY out of line. Like... do you seriously not see the problem in tear gassing (which I'm pretty sure the use of is a human rights violation) peaceful protesters (some of whom were children?). Riot gear, tear gas, rifles, dogs and tanks is NOT the way you react to something like this (they were also quoted shouting "bring it on you ****ing animals". It's not a race issues?). It's insane. The bottom half of this describes the situation pretty well (and the rest of the story).
I agree with this also. However, I think in this specific part of the issue that this is less to do with blatant racism and more to do with internal issues. It's likely that they do not want to get rid of the guy for some internal reason, which is why they keep coming up with excuses. I disagree with it but again, it may not be due to racist reasons. It's important to note that the only one, for sure, who has profiled is the officer himself. This does not justify the actions of the police department, of course, it simply means that it may not be based in race itself.

4) It's funny how you, a white person, are complaining about "pulling the race card". You don't think black people would know a little more about what racism is like than you?
Funny, you're playing the race card yourself. The reason why people hate playing the race card is because it is often done frequently for completely unnecessary reasons. In addition, it is often played when no racism is present. It is relevant here though, and I do think that people who are throwing accusations at the protests themselves are out of line - however, your use here is unacceptable. So what if Phantom is white? He is certainly entitled to an opinion on the matter. Again, since privilege is not quantifiable, you don't know what problems that Phantom may have encountered in their life due to race or other things. Take a seat and listen to their perspective. If you disagree with it, come up with a better reason than "you're white so shut up" because you're being just as racist as the people who justify shutting these peaceful protesters down.

Not only this, but I HAVE encountered racism in my life due to being white. Just because in someone's head it's not "institutionalized" it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. In fact, it just further shows that it is an issue rooted in both sides, which is why it needs to stop. Racism against whites is originated from racism against blacks, and it is a vicious cycle that only furthers its own destruction.

7) "Even if the cop was in the wrong for the shooting, he will get his due."

Really? Then why is he STILL on paid leave, why did it take so long to have his name released, why did the police station lie about why Brown was shot, why are the police focusing on the robbery instead of the man who shot an unarmed teen?
Again, there is a possibility that the officer is receiving these privileges because of the fact that 1) he was a senior officer, 2) there is internal issues about having him refuse to leave the police force, possibly due to his seniority and 3) if the kid committed a robbery they still should do an investigation on the matter.

To reiterate, I do not believe that the police is acting in a good way, I am stating that it may not be simply rooted in racism.

Yeah, the people educating themselves on social inequality and speaking out against injustice are the problem. Not, you know, the racist police force or the media making Brown out to be a thug or the KKK or people murdering trans/queer people or the men thinking it's okay to rape a women. Grow up.

Finally, I should note, that while I am criticizing your debate, I still believe that yes, the initial incident rooted in racism. I am playing Devil's Advocate. However, going around and saying that it is dem evil whities as opposed to actually calling out the ****ing racists in the first place is self defeating and only adds fuel to the fire. Phantom needs to grow up but so do many of the others in this thread, including yourself. To reiterate, this sort of stuff is not an armchair science - you cannot just say, "well this many people do this and this many people do that because I read it somewhere online" - you really have to dig deep and uncover the deeper issues here.

Phantom is right about one thing. The only way we are going to make progress is when everyone accepts the fact that race should not be important. I try to give everyone an equal opportunity. I judge based on their words, not on anything else. I know there are many people who do not, and I know that until those people stop, things will not get better, regardless of whether or not it is "justified" or "institutionalized".

Did you read Oryx post above? Your entire post is on the assumption that Ferguson is a "riot" an "angry mob" and that the majority of protestors aren't peaceful, which is simply not the case.
It's clear that I am addressing the violent protesters. To ignore that there is violence going on doesn't justify their actions. There is definitely enough violence to be relevant. Just because it is not the majority of protest does not mean that it is not relevant - if anything, the fact that it does exist actually overwhelms the more peaceful protest because people are more willing to react to violent protest - and not in a good way.

Also to categorize this as solely black vs. white is not really accurate. It's the fact that white people make up the police, it's the fact that whites hold all the power in a mostly black town, that's the racial issue. The immediate issue is the police are being far too heavy handed.
It's not really an issue between white vs black, however, continued violent protest, which is most certainly happening, will devolve the issue into race - which is perhaps the most undesirable result in a place where race already is a problem. Honestly, I frankly believe that most problems in western society outside of lgbt++/disabled peoples are rooted in income, and the fact that many people were denied income based on their race/sex for a long time, they still have to play catch up.

I completely understand what the problem here and I do side with the protesters. I simply believe that those who are acting violently will have much more destructive force than anything else involved and need to cut it out before these effects take hold.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's clear that I am addressing the violent protesters. To ignore that there is violence going on doesn't justify their actions. There is definitely enough violence to be relevant. Just because it is not the majority of protest does not mean that it is not relevant - if anything, the fact that it does exist actually overwhelms the more peaceful protest because people are more willing to react to violent protest - and not in a good way.

It's not really an issue between white vs black, however, continued violent protest, which is most certainly happening, will devolve the issue into race - which is perhaps the most undesirable result in a place where race already is a problem.

I completely understand what the problem here and I do side with the protesters. I simply believe that those who are acting violently will have much more destructive force than anything else involved and need to cut it out before these effects take hold.

Do you have any evidence that violent protesters exist? I know peaceful protesters exist, I've seen them. I know looters exist, I've seen those too. But I haven't seen violent protesters - even the police are saying the only reason they're cutting short protests is because they're not competent enough to separate the people looking to cause trouble and the people protesting. I would welcome some video or other forms of evidence showing protesters that were actually protesting in a violent way - the most I can find is 2 officers were pepper sprayed, which is understandable given they have now shot thousands of people with rubber/wood bullets and also tear gassed thousands of people. As compensation for this evidence, I offer up a quote from this article:

One of the demands of protesters this weekend, printed on a flier handed out to crowds, was for a police force that more accurately represents the racial makeup of the community.
Protesters said that blacks have long been targeted by police.
"We have to stick together because we are targets," Robert Bredfford, an African-American 26-year-old, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch at the protests on Sunday.
I was also going to pull out a quote from this article but really, the quote is the entire article. It goes very in-depth into the racial history of the region and goes into the current racism in the police department. Although it does note that it's not quite as racist as some departments next door! Yay for being pretty racist instead of very racist I guess.

Edit: Sorry I edited this twice and bumped your notification count but like half my post got eaten. I had a whole paragraph in there referencing how you said to listen to the voices of the people when it came to Detroit, so surely you would want to listen to the voices of the people in Ferguson who are telling you that they have been targeted by the police department for years. When you see these things and still decide, as an outsider who has no experience with these people, that they're either too stupid to know what they're talking about or lying, you are intentionally cloaking yourself in ignorance for the sake of a political point.

Back