• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy Discussion

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    So yeah. I looked around and there doesn't seem to be a recent topic about this game. So I figured that since I'd gotten my copy a couple days ago, I'd start a thread about it here for people to discuss it. I know alot of people are wondering what others think about it. In fact, there are probably a few of you out there that may or may not buy it based on what I say. So I will give my input on it right now.

I'll try to avoid spoilers as much as I can, since the game hasn't officially come out yet. The only real reason I have my copy this early is because one of the stores I do business with got their stock in early (and I usually get tons of product samples from them anyway). But I imagine there are others that have one by now.

Anyway, so far, the story's not too bad. I'm at Chapter 6 upon writing this, and thus far, the narrative seems to be done through a combination of flashbacks and cutscenes that show you what's currently going on. In fact, a majority of Cocoon is seen through flashbacks, as opposed to actually being visited in the present. One thing that you're going to notice is that after Chapter 3, there isn't really a central character anymore (at least not that I noticed). The flashbacks and cutscenes are seen through multiple perspectives, and you get to see each of your party members' takes on what's going on, as opposed to there being one main character responding to everything around him. I prefer this approach, simply because it has a larger scale feel to it. You've got your serious character, your comedy relief, your rookie, your over zealous heroic type, your nature freak and your oddball. Anyway, it's not too bad so far. It's a pretty straightforward plot, but it gets the job done, and the characters all have their own motives for being in the party.

For the most part, the English voices are pretty decently done, and just like previous games, they sound very movie-like. However I will say that I can't stand Vanilla's forced accent-sounding voice. It's like her English voice actor couldn't figure out if she wanted her to be Australian, European, or just American. While it's not a game breaking problem, it does get a little comical and quite a bit distracting during a few of the scenes. Minor issue, but something that I think needed to be mentioned.

As for the gameplay. I don't normally use magazine reviews as bases for any of my opinions, but I think Playstation Magazine probably said it best when they used the word 'streamlined'. The game is very linear. I have yet to run into a single sidequest, and from what I've read everywhere else, there really aren't any until toward the end of the game. I guess there are monster hunt missions in Chapter 11, but I haven't gotten there yet, so I don't know what those'll be all about. I'll probably post about it once I get there.

There really aren't any towns. In fact, the only time you ever see peaceful towns or cities is in cutscenes. And you seem to have Zidane's Curse too, so whenever you think you're about to enter a town, it either gets destroyed or you come under attack and you're forced through another combat area instead, or it ends up not being what you think it is. By the way, you can't get back into alot of those places afterward. So it definitely feels like you're sent straight from one point to another. So far, I really haven't been able to backtrack. I don't know if that'll change. Like I said, I'm only in Chapter 6. And by the way, Pulse, where a majority of the game takes place in, is nothing but wilderness and a couple defunct bases.

All your shopping is done through the Save Points that are scattered around the maps. Fortunately, there are alot of them, and each boss fight is preceded by a Save Point right before them. So you can make last minute adjustments, purchases and upgrades to your party before fighting them. And you will want to, because boss fights are tough.

Speaking of combat, I do want to go over this, because there seems to be alot of misconceptions about the battle system. First and foremost, you only control one character, and that character is set as your Party Leader which you can't change once battle begins. Anyone who's played a Persona game knows what I mean by this. Yes, if your party leader dies, the game is over right then and there. No auto-revive, no Phoenix Down, no nothing. Just Game Over. And yes, this has happened to me twice already. Although the first time was me being a moron and thinking that a battle was unwinnable, when actually I just had to hit the SQUARE button during a certain point. It was actually really easy once I noticed it.

Now that that's out of the way, the battle system is more of a modified version of the ATB systems from past Final Fantasies. Unlike previous games though, you actually pick what you want to do ahead of time and then the bar fills up, as opposed to the bar filling up first. So if you want to attack twice, pick two Attack commands and the bar will fill two ticks before doing both attacks consecutively. Same thing with Magic and Skills. It levels up over time, and you eventually get to the point where you can do 6 attacks at a time. The bar always fills at the same speed (under normal circumstances), so it effectively increases your overall rate of fire.

One thing that is very different is the Paradigm system. Basically, each character can assume one of 6 different battle modes. Each one specializes in certain things. The Commando specializes in physical attacks. Ravagers specialize in attack magic and stagger damage. Sentinels do pretty much nothing but guarding (great for when you know a boss is about to unleash a major attack). Medics heal the party. Saboteurs debuff enemies. Utilizing these different modes is one of the biggest keys to staying alive in combat. In fact, there will be regular battles where you'll find yourself having to Paradigm Shift every 5 to 10 seconds. This is just something that you'll need to get adjusted to. Fortunately, it takes one button and no time to do this.

There is a stagger system, which is similar to the Break system from Xenosaga, where if you fill the bar, the enemy goes into a weakened state where its attacks do less damage and it takes more damage for a time. This is important to keep in mind, because some bosses and enemies are virtually immune to any appreciable damage until they're staggered. Yes, you'll even find your strongest weapons merely chipping away at the hides of these tough enemies until then. Ravagers excel at doing stagger damage, so you definitely want one of those during these situations.

Summons also make a return. Each character gets 1 of 6 Eidolons, which they can use if they're the Party Leader. In other words, only one summon is available in any given battle. And due to the way the Tech system works, Summoning can only be used a maximum of one time per battle. That said, it seems the Summon designs had some influence from Transformers. Instead of resembling monsters, which has been the staple of past Final Fantasies, the summons this time around are more robotic and even transform during combat. In fact, your characters will mount them after a certain amount of time has passed. This is where the battle system changes significantly. During this mode, the battle system resembles something found in an action game rather than one found in an RPG. You mash buttons and input combinations in an effort to dish out as much damage as possible before time runs out. Afterward, the attack culminates with the Eidolon's burst attack, doing one final massive blast of damage, ending the sequence in a flashy manner.

After battle, you are rated from 1 to 5 stars. Depending on your performance, you will earn items and materials at the end of each fight, which range from Potions to items that may be necessary to create new upgraded weapons. In addition, you are also awarded CP, which is used to upgrade your different Paradigm Modes through the Sphere Grid-like Crystarium. Instead of directly improving your characters, you actually upgrade their different Paradigms. In other words, each battle mode comes with different stats, in addition to different attacks. All this sounds daunting, but honestly, it took me a mere couple hours to get used to it all and come up with a decent setup for handling most battles. It also helps that your party is fully healed after each battle.

Overall, it's not bad so far. I don't know if it'll stay that way, but so far I can say that they did a pretty good job. It definitely feels different from most other games, but as they say, sometimes change is good. It's definitely an improvement over FFX.

Last edited:

ヴェントゥス

キーブレード
    Years
    No matter how the game looks to me. I'll try it out.
    But I first need a PS3. Im not a huge Final Fantasy Fan, But I'll play it still just to see how the game play, the story is.
    But no matter how many bad reviews, or what people say about it. I'll get it based on the trailer.
    -I'm a sucker for the trailers- :3

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    No matter how the game looks to me. I'll try it out.
    But I first need a PS3. Im not a huge Final Fantasy Fan, But I'll play it still just to see how the game play, the story is.
    But no matter how many bad reviews, or what people say about it. I'll get it based on the trailer.
    -I'm a sucker for the trailers- :3

It is a good game so far, and I like most of the changes. For instance, the battle system is awesome, and once you get used to it, you'll be blazing through fights faster than you can say 'blue streak'. It would've been nice to have at least a central hub where you could retreat to. But it's still a pretty good game, even without that. It's just very different from what alot of people are expecting. I guess I'm really more concerned that there will be people that feel bait-and-switched when they play it and find out that it's linear almost to the point of being more like an action game than an actual RPG.

Oh. One other little thing. The text. If you don't have a big screen or an HD TV, it will be very difficult to read alot of the text in the menus. The dialogue text isn't a big problem, because it's larger. But the menu text is very small. I'm just giving you a heads up about it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    However I will say that I can't stand Vanilla's forced accent-sounding voice. It's like her English voice actor couldn't figure out if she wanted her to be Australian, European, or just American.
    Vanille's VA *is* Australian and her voice always sounds Australian, to me :O

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    tl;dr.
    Looking forward to this game, when i eventually get it.
    [won't be for another month or so since I'm broke]
    I've seen some Japanese Gameplay, and it looks fun enough.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    getting this tomorrow. I can't wait. Going to finish school, grab it, then go work and after a whole day of waiting till 10pm finally put my copy in and play it till an insane time in the morning. Skipping school the next day to play it as I only have 1 lesson and all he does is hand out a sheet and tell us to do it. I can get a copy and do it whenever.

Didn't like the teailer simply because they use Leona Lewis. urg

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I'm getting my copy when Blockbuster opens at 10am tomorrow, and I booked off two days to play it. XD [/loser]

Though, in my defense (if I can even call it that), I haven't played a decent JRPG in ages, so I need a good dosing. As for what all of the critics are saying about it being too linear, blah blah blah, I could care less what they say. If the characters are interesting and the story is solid, I have no issues with linearity for the first ten or twenty hours or whatever the heck it is. FFX was linear and it was a great game. It just seems like XIII is being held up to XII's standards, which is fine by me if they're different because I found XII to be a huge disappointment in all areas.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I heard that FFXIII battle system is similar to X-2.
    and I've also heard
    Spoiler:

The Spoiler part is true. You do indeed get a Game Over if your selected Party Leader dies. It sounds bad, but know that there are no attacks that outright kill characters in the game. The only thing you really have to worry about is Doom, because there's no defense against it, and they always target the Party Leader with it, and it puts the infamous counter above the character. It effectively puts a time limit on any battle it's used in. And yes, bosses use it too. But most of them are Summon battles which have different objectives that usually just involve pressing SQUARE (or X) at the right time to acquire the Summon.

And I'm not trying to scare anyone here, BUT.......

Spoiler:

But the X-2 part isn't. The only thing that's similar to X-2 is that you change between 6 different battle modes. But instead of gaining levels, you upgrade the individual modes for each character. So your characters naturally become more powerful through those. But that also means that if you favor one mode, like if you put everything into Commando, then when it comes time to use a Stagger heavy mode like Ravager, it won't be as good as you need it to be. So there is still quite a bit of strategy and pre-planning involved.

I'm getting my copy when Blockbuster opens at 10am tomorrow, and I booked off two days to play it. XD [/loser]

Though, in my defense (if I can even call it that), I haven't played a decent JRPG in ages, so I need a good dosing. As for what all of the critics are saying about it being too linear, blah blah blah, I could care less what they say. If the characters are interesting and the story is solid, I have no issues with linearity for the first ten or twenty hours or whatever the heck it is. FFX was linear and it was a great game. It just seems like XIII is being held up to XII's standards, which is fine by me if they're different because I found XII to be a huge disappointment in all areas.

It is a good game. I'm having alot of fun with it. And it doesn't have any real resemblance to FFXII, except for the Party Leader being the only controllable character in battle. But I'm going to tell you right now. The battles go so fast that if you COULD control all three characters, you would be utterly overwhelmed with details, and it would probably drive you insane. Battles on average usually last no more than 15 to 20 seconds each, except for a few select battles that are a bit harder but not quite boss fights (the ones you save your Summons for, basically). And in those cases, it's usually either the Summon animation or the Stagger factor that makes the battle take longer.

The cutscenes are probably something that alot of what I call anti-Xenosaga people will get annoyed with. They do get pretty long. For instance, the transition between Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 is probably one of the longest cutscenes I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game. But at the same time, there's so much going on in terms of excitement and explosions that you really don't notice it too much. And even with Vanilla's more than a little annoying voice, she gets razzed enough (by Lightning, of course) that it really isn't even much of an issue during some of those scenes.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The cutscenes are probably something that alot of what I call anti-Xenosaga people will get annoyed with. They do get pretty long. For instance, the transition between Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 is probably one of the longest cutscenes I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game. But at the same time, there's so much going on in terms of excitement and explosions that you really don't notice it too much. And even with Vanilla's more than a little annoying voice, she gets razzed enough (by Lightning, of course) that it really isn't even much of an issue during some of those scenes.
    Haha, daaaaamnit. D: My excitement for this game (however limited, I will admit--it's just been too long a wait) just dropped a substantial amount. 8( I don't have the patience for long cutscenes anymore, lmao. I suppose if they're action-packed, they won't be too bad... I'll still play it when I get the chance but damn, I've stopped enjoying cutscenes more and more lately. Hopefully FF13's won't bother me too much...

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Haha, daaaaamnit. D: My excitement for this game (however limited, I will admit--it's just been too long a wait) just dropped a substantial amount. 8( I don't have the patience for long cutscenes anymore, lmao. I suppose if they're action-packed, they won't be too bad... I'll still play it when I get the chance but damn, I've stopped enjoying cutscenes more and more lately. Hopefully FF13's won't bother me too much...

The good news is that they're all skippable. And most of the pre-boss fight cutscenes are fairly brief. It's really what happens between chapters that gets long, because there's so much that goes on during these transitions.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Well, I also hate skipping cutscenes. I'll sooner look away from the TV until the cutscenes are done and just browse the web (so that at least I'm listening to them) than outright skip them. :(

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    I heard that FFXIII battle system is similar to X-2.
    and I've also heard
    Spoiler:

Yeah it's true, because you only control one character on the field.

I'll be getting my copy of FFXIII in a few days time. I could have gotten it today, but I had to pre-order it online, since I don't have time to go shopping. :(

I saw a review on it last night on a TV show, and apparently the people didn't like it compared to FFXII. To be honest, FFXII kinda annoyed me, especially the battle system. o_O

FFXIII's battle system looks good though, how the active bar is used depending on the attack you use. (Does that count as a spoiler? XD;)

I can't wait to play though, since I can't really give my opinion on it now. But from what I've seen, it looks amazing enough, but I guess that's just my FF fanism speaking.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015

FFXIII's battle system looks good though, how the active bar is used depending on the attack you use. (Does that count as a spoiler? XD;)

No, not really. Most people know by now how the ATB system works. It's still worth checking out.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Well, I also hate skipping cutscenes. I'll sooner look away from the TV until the cutscenes are done and just browse the web (so that at least I'm listening to them) than outright skip them. :(

From what I watched.. some of the cutscenes are a normal length, but a few of them are around 8-ish minutes. Still, they're lengthy but awesome. o-o So.. I don't think you'll have to worry about being too bored. xD; If your attention span goes "NOPE" in middle, just stare blankly at the pretty art.. >_>;

Not sure why anyone would wanna skip the cutscenes in this game, personally. xD;

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I booked 2 weeks off work after this week to play it. I will have it completed pretty fast. Won't be touching MW2 till I do it. Been waiting on this game for so long.

I wasn't a big fan of the FFXII battle style but I grew to like it. I think the gambit sytem allowed for some tactics and thought before a battle. Although the old level up glitch was easy to abuse with it as you could have the lead character use it.

2 hours till i go pick up my copy at midnight release <3

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    My game has been dispatched from Amazon today :) Should be getting it by wednesday but I have my fingers crossed for some post force miracle XD

I quite like how this is often referred to as the inbetween step between X and XII, as looking at the battle system it seems like an almost half way point.

I don't like one-player-death D: I was kind of hoping they might fix that up for the EU version << things often get changed between JP and EU release. Apparently not D: uhoh, better be careful.

(And I thought it was the Dark haired girl that is the aussie not Vanilla? o.O confusion!)

OH and I actually like that Leona Lewis is doing the theme tune, I think the song fits quite nicely :)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    (And I thought it was the Dark haired girl that is the aussie not Vanilla? o.O confusion!)

Yeahhh, I heard the same thing.

A friend of mine said Fang had an accent, and Vanilla sounded pretty normal. @_@

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Yeahhh, I heard the same thing.

A friend of mine said Fang had an accent, and Vanilla sounded pretty normal. @_@

The trailer agrees that Fang is the Aussie XD must have been a name mix up up there n__n

(Oh and I Love the Summons that are available :3 Especially Hope's)

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    getting this tomorrow. I can't wait. Going to finish school, grab it, then go work and after a whole day of waiting till 10pm finally put my copy in and play it till an insane time in the morning. Skipping school the next day to play it as I only have 1 lesson and all he does is hand out a sheet and tell us to do it. I can get a copy and do it whenever.

Didn't like the teailer simply because they use Leona Lewis. urg

Wait I thought it came out Friday...I was gonna pick it up with my SoulSilver O.O thats alot better

Back