• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final fantasy

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2008
    anyone hurr like FF? i do.......it's soo cool, my favourite's ff7

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • I prefer IX over VII, mainly because it has Vivi, the 3 Black Waltz, and the main hero is monkey like :] I've also been able to play it longer without getting distracted by new titles so I'm closer to beating it XP

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Err why 5? That I fail to understand.

Best FF is probably still FF7 (note: I didn't play the PS2 ones okay? ;_; ) out of all FFs up to FF9. Plot is the best, and materia system isn't too bad, but difficulty is still the hardest of all FFs besides like FF1 where the first enemy can 3HKO you. The only thing that's worth disliking about in FF7 is the fact that material system can almost make everyone identical to each other o.o;

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • I think the materia system made things more realistic. It explained how they had magic(and summon for that matter), and it tied in alot with the storyline.

I hate like how in FFIX, you equip a item, then learn magic. It made no sense to me. And FFX was all based on a sphere. Sphere this, sphere that, spheres everywhere!

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2006
    Materia did kinda make everyone only different by their breaks. Then again, so did GFs and the spheregrid. IX made the characters much more distinct, and abilities through items works decently well in it and FFT:A Sure it can be sometimes frustrating to hold onto or equip an inferior item for a while, but if you're a power leveling, stat-maxing RPG freak, it's no problem. (Read: Abby)

The sphere grid was truly one of the best ways to achieve total mastery. It wasn't too quick or basic like VII, didn't require the no-level option (which is a cool thing they put into all FFs but IX, a way to play the game and realistically make it through at minimum power. Always a nice touch they are so gracious to add for the die-hards subtly) and was more complex than just…leveling like IX. X allowed you to rewrite the foundation they set down through the battle arena, a combination of the right ingredients, money, and planning. Of course I re-wrote the sphere grid, but without the International version I didn't have anything to pummel with my power. Some people just get all the luck…
    (and on that note I can go in and prove Luck > BtHL if you'd like)

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • I like how the only way to customize your character was by use different combinations of Materia.

Who said <insert name here> had to be <insert job here> anyway?

And I play games alot for the storyline. I liked how it tied in with the story. I'm still waiting for a Limit Break(overdrive, etc) to be tied in well with the story. I would love to figure out how Cloud pulls off that Omnislash, lol.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2006
    You're right in that sense. It is kind of annoying when some characters just can't be made better. IX didn't suffer from that (Though I always find Eiko more useful than Sarah due to Holy and Madeen) However if you look at VII, VIII, or X the only things that make them unique are their limits/overdrives. (And even VI reduced everyone to Ultima slingers)
    Materia did have some nice fun combinations to mess with, but a lack of powerful foes to use them on by the time you get the fun material.

///EDIT\\\ Well it kind of is tied with the last symbolic boss fight, Omnislash that is.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Abby said:
    You're right in that sense. It is kind of annoying when some characters just can't be made better. IX didn't suffer from that (Though I always find Eiko more useful than Sarah due to Holy and Madeen) However if you look at VII, VIII, or X the only things that make them unique are their limits/overdrives. (And even VI reduced everyone to Ultima slingers)
    Materia did have some nice fun combinations to mess with, but a lack of powerful foes to use them on by the time you get the fun material.
    Lack of Boses? Ruby/Emerald Weapon.

Although, there is that one setup you can use, and never lose... What was the required materia?

Knights of the round<>QuadraMagic
    W Summon
    Final Attack<>Phoenix

Then everyone just needed Mime! XD that was so easy...

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2006
    Exactly. Those bosses are just too rigid. You can't try out the fun materia combos on them due to Ruby's whirlpool and Emeralds Aire Tam storm.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I personally like FFIX and other level-up-for-personal-skills system, as it made a lot more sense to me than "equip a stone, yay!" It makes a lot more sense that you have to learn something through training and time... And that system made perfect sense to me. Use the enchantment from powerful artifacts/equipments, and together with your own potential, you may unlock a part of yourself. Makes sense... *nod nod* Materia system is explained and made sense too, but I don't like how easy it was to make all of my character "Cloud-clones." Not to mention, again green materia is useless. But for FF9 since magic is seperated from the fighters, magic is certainly useful all the way until the end, which should definitely be appreciated. It's not just mashing the A buttons for normal enemies if the story forces you to go with an all mage team (like that ugly time in disc 2 when all you got is Zidane as the only fighter, with 3 helpless mages).

Now I would love to command more on FF9 system, but sadly I got a time limit for that game and had to beat it in one week during school time too, so I pretty much skipped all ability and any ability related sidequest... (blah I didn't even bother with synthesis after late disc3 because it takes too long to get all ingredients)

Sphere grid... can't comment on that, but don't see why it's worth hating about just because of the name. Why don't we ask ourselves "why do we have so many words that end with -ology? Should we just hate them all?"

Junction system... complete failure >_>; No one will ever want to use magic when magic ALWAYS do lesser damage than weapons, and it even requires you to sacrifice stats. It's just as low as Golden Sun's Djinn summon crap. However the refinery system... I love that ^^ Card mod for Holys from Krysta cards in disc 1 to reach 4500 hp in disc 1 at lvl 8, yay!

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Abby said:
    ///EDIT\\\ Well it kind of is tied with the last symbolic boss fight, Omnislash that is.
    Yea, but that was barely any of the story.

In FFVII Mako was everywhere. Mako was used in making those scary things. Cloud's got Mako eyes. Materia forms out of Mako. Mako can provide energy at the expense of the world's safety. Black/White Materia can save/destroy the world. etc etc etc! Almost anything could be tied in with materia.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2006
    Yeah, but GFs tie very much so into VIII for reasons that are spoilers, even up to the last boss. In IX Sarah had the eidilons extracted out of her, they were a big part too. And in X it's all about Yuna's quest to form links with all the fayths. So summons have slowly become the focus.
    @frosty Why do that when you can abuse Choco World? XD;

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    I personally like FFIX and other level-up-for-personal-skills system, as it made a lot more sense to me than "equip a stone, yay!" It makes a lot more sense that you have to learn something through training and time... And that system made perfect sense to me. Use the enchantment from powerful artifacts/equipments, and together with your own potential, you may unlock a part of yourself. Makes sense... *nod nod* Materia system is explained and made sense too, but I don't like how easy it was to make all of my character "Cloud-clones." Not to mention, again green materia is useless. But for FF9 since magic is seperated from the fighters, magic is certainly useful all the way until the end, which should definitely be appreciated. It's not just mashing the A buttons for normal enemies if the story forces you to go with an all mage team (like that ugly time in disc 2 when all you got is Zidane as the only fighter, with 3 helpless mages).

Now I would love to command more on FF9 system, but sadly I got a time limit for that game and had to beat it in one week during school time too, so I pretty much skipped all ability and any ability related sidequest... (blah I didn't even bother with synthesis after late disc3 because it takes too long to get all ingredients)

Sphere grid... can't comment on that, but don't see why it's worth hating about just because of the name. Why don't we ask ourselves "why do we have so many words that end with -ology? Should we just hate them all?"

Junction system... complete failure >_>; No one will ever want to use magic when magic ALWAYS do lesser damage than weapons, and it even requires you to sacrifice stats. It's just as low as Golden Sun's Djinn summon crap. However the refinery system... I love that ^^ Card mod for Holys from Krysta cards in disc 1 to reach 4500 hp in disc 1 at lvl 8, yay!
    Magic Materia is useful in FFVII. You can kill Emerald weapon by replacing Knights of the Round with Ultima... not many more examples...

I don't hate the sphere grid, it's just that it was really confusing to me at the start of the game, and it seems like almost everything is based on a ball, XD.

Don't get me wrong though, I love final fantasy X. Almost as much as FFVII...

One thing I didn't really like about FFIX, was that you could buy the Octogon Rod(I believe, if not please correct me), which taught Firaga, Blizzaga, and Thundaga... Not much of an artifact...

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
  • FFVIII had the best storyline out of all of them...I loved that you could extract magic from your enemies as well. Where as in 7 you had to use materia to use magic...it was a good idea but magic turned out to be almost usless in the end of that game.

Hey I don't get why people think 9 is the worst out of all of them cause 5 was by far. 9 had awsome music that fit perfectly with its enviroment...and the characters, however unique, were pretty cool.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Overlord Sato said:
    FFVIII had the best storyline out of all of them...I loved that you could extract magic from your enemies as well. Where as in 7 you had to use materia to use magic...it was a good idea but magic turned out to be almost usless in the end of that game.

Hey I don't get why people think 9 is the worst out of all of them cause 5 was by far. 9 had awsome music that fit perfectly with its enviroment...and the characters, however unique, were pretty cool.
    I think FFVII had the best storyline. You're right about the materia though.

They need to change some aspects of that in the remake(if they ever make one).

aaaaaa

Beating Ruby and Emmy with Morph, without ever getting KotR was quite fun, though!

FFVII's story worked for me best overall. Technically inferior, but oh so fun. I can still play FFVII today and have FUN.
    FFVIII's was like 'We got bored, here's a brand new villian way outta left field for you beat. She doesn't mean anything to the story, but here she is anyway'.
    FFIX is well..erm..I dont beleive an RPG should be completable in 12 hours, unless that RPG is named Suikoden II.
    FFX was like *yawn* I hate games that hold your hand and dont let you take any inititive. Grrr. (Its unfair you get to do all the kissing!)
    FFX-2 was a great little romp in the park. Suggestions of Lesbian Incent just made it all the better.

Oh, and as for the SNES FF's.
    FFIV pwnzed.
    FFV was great
    FFVI was kinda over-rated.

And remember kiddies, Xenogears for life.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • a1337a said:
    Beating Ruby and Emmy with Morph, without ever getting KotR was quite fun, though!

FFVII's story worked for me best overall. Technically inferior, but oh so fun. I can still play FFVII today and have FUN.
    FFVIII's was like 'We got bored, here's a brand new villian way outta left field for you beat. She doesn't mean anything to the story, but here she is anyway'.
    FFIX is well..erm..I dont beleive an RPG should be completable in 12 hours, unless that RPG is named Suikoden II.
    FFX was like *yawn* I hate games that hold your hand and dont let you take any inititive. Grrr. (Its unfair you get to do all the kissing!)
    FFX-2 was a great little romp in the park. Suggestions of Lesbian Incent just made it all the better.

Oh, and as for the SNES FF's.
    FFIV pwnzed.
    FFV was great
    FFVI was kinda over-rated.

And remember kiddies, Xenogears for life.
    Words of wisdom...

But I still think all of the Final Fantasies are good, just some are not that good.

Back