• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen FireRed and LeafGreen, satisfactory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
Years
  • I liked them the first time I played through them. After that it got way too boring for me to play any longer. With all the improvements of the GBA from the GB/C they could have done way better than what FR/LG was. To put it bluntly, these two games were just plain awful and I'd much rather just grab my good 'ol copy of Blue and play through that rather than play either one of these. The Sevi Islands weren't even that great now that I think about it. They should've stuck some gyms(like the orange islands) there or something rather than just going out there to catch a few pathetic Pokemon like Sentret.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Satisfactory? Yes. Good? No.

It's "the same but better", relative to RBGY, but unfortunately far less feature-laden than RSE and even GSC.
    I actually prefer how the original games look and feel, anyways.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • Well, seeing as a lot of people are going at the music, I'll start out by saying that I personally liked it.
    I was upset that we got the Sevii Islands instead of the Orange Islands. I mean, sure, we got a little more Team Rocket fighting, but I'll take 4 more badges any day.
    Yes, FRLG did not have as many new features as HGSS, but keep in mind this was still the GBA era. There might not have been the capacity on the cartridges to add a comparable amount of content to the games.
    And the #1 reason I prefer FRLG over the original, no annoyingly small limit on items. Sure, that's great for a challenge run, but not for the entire game.
    Bottom line: good games. Could've been better, but still good.

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • the games were very lackluster. the only thing that made me get them was the sevii islands, which i ended up hating. now all i do is run through the game doing challenge runs.

on the other hand the enhanced graphics and sound was kinda nice

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    FR/LG was pretty satisfactory for me. I hadn't really played R/B/Y before at the time, and it was a pretty awesome journey for me through the towns and cities of Kanto. Honestly, I enjoyed most or perhaps even all of the things that FR/LG provided to a good extent. And the sevii islands, in my opinion.. were a nice addition. If I had played R/B/Y before, I don't know. There might've been a slight influence on my perception of FR/LG. But I hadn't, so yeah. I can't really think of anything I'd change. So overall, it was pretty satisfactory.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I've been playing LG for about 8 or so hours today due to Syd's challenge. I nearly fell asleep playing it like 10 times. Why? Well, battle scenes load slow, music is boring, don't really like the sprite of the running character and well... there's nothing exciting there. At. All. Except maybe the ship, but meeeh. I actually found playing LG more boring than my most hated game (Pearl). Idk, I never liked it that much from the start. Plus, original (and even Johto games Kanto) was muuuuuuch more exciting, because due to lack of graphics quality, there was a lot more mystery to the region (imo). Safari Zone especially. :x

I'm honestly dreading continuing to play through. Oh well! :(

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Well it wasn't the BEST pokemon game for me; but, it was alright; the music was pretty cool in my opinion, like the remix of the Champion theme was cool, but yeah; I honestly expected more, like the Sevii Islands, instead of the Orange Islands, which, the Orange Islands would of been pretty cool if they made them! Since at the original Pokemon Blue / Yellow / Red I was kind of hoping they put it in there after I beat the pokemon leauge or something. ^^; And other all...the Sevii Isnds weren't VERY exciting to be in really...except for the battle tower; which was pretty easy. :/

Well overall, its an okay pokemon game; I wouldn't mind playing it again.

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    i really quite enjoyed firered the sevil island were amazing best part of the game

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I really enjoyed FR/LG. I suppose part of it was that they brought back many of my favorite Pokemon, which weren't present in RSE, but I also loved getting to play through Kanto again for the first time in years. While it might have been nice to have more add-ons, I liked how the games stuck with the original plotline and map.

I took a very different approach to LG than I did in Red, catching everything I could find and training every single Pokemon I owned perfectly evenly as I went along rather than essentially doing a Blastoise solo run, and that made the remakes seem fresh. While I still haven't gotten around to beating LG yet, sadly (I have several boxes full of level 52 or 53 Pokemon and have seven badges or something), I've really enjoyed the different playing experience this time around.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    I thought FR/LG were great.

I'm doing another playthrough of LG right now and am enjoying it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    I was definitely satisfied by FireRed... if I remember correctly this was the first opportunity to get 2nd gen Pokemon in the advanced games? That was cool.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • LeafGreen was my first Pokemon game. :D
    It was very entertaining, especially with the sevii islands as a great addition as well.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    FireRed was my first Pokémon game. Har har. Though I have played the original version of Red as well, and even though my situation is reversed -- FireRed gives me nostalgia points, Red doesn't -- I still think they're both legitimately good games. They're similar, yes, but there's remakes for you. ...If this holds any relevance, I actually didn't enjoy HG/SS all that much. So yeah.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Personally, I like RBY better than FRLG. The Sevii Islands on FRLG were too late and they should have been added in the earlier games. The only good thing about FRLG is that you were able to catch second generation Pokemon at the end of the game.

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
  • I acually really enjoyed FireRed and LeafGreen, It's the game I've put in the most hours on (out of the new gens) I also think it did a better job then HeartGold/SoulSilver at bringing the game to audience with adding all the new features that Gen II and III brought to the table, without losing it's classic Red and Blue feel. I loved the Sevii Islands, I just wish it would of been a bit more expansive, and be called the Orange Islands like it should of been. For some reason I really liked the Fame Checker item, and was very dissapointed when it didn't make a return (for such a small item anyways)

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
  • Overall I though it was pretty good. Brought back the nostalgic value in the form of refreshed visuals, and also souped it up for first time players. I hoped that they could have done more with the Sevii islands but otherwise it was a satisfactory addition to the series.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I think it was great as a remake. Though it is nice to have just Kanto Pokes. But better graphics really made it shine!

Pidgeotto

Fly Spammer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well when you compare them to HG/SS and W/B then they come up short feature wise, but as straight up remakes, I love them.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    No Pokemon game was terrible, but this one wasn't my favorite either. I'd say it lacked something, but I really don't know what that something is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back