• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen FireRed and LeafGreen, satisfactory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    It was decent, but not particularly brilliant.

The only great things about it were the music in some areas (particularly the Champion battle music!) and a few other things like being able to see how much more EXP you needed to level up without having to go into the profiles (like you had to back in R/B/G/Y)

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I never got the chance to play FR or LG when they first came out due to us being poor and my brother and I already had Ruby and Sapphire. But recently I tried to do a nuzlocke run on a rom of FR and I think I can give my opinion on how much I liked/disliked it.

I liked that I was able to play a girl. The graphics were indeed a very nice stepup from the original days, they stayed true to what made me love pokemon in the beginning, and they added some after game features so I wouldn't get bored too easily.

However, I felt like the game was being rushed. I don't know why, but all of third gen games felt rush. I also disliked the sprites because they looked chunky and blurry. The music was too slow, but it wasn't annoying. I just wish the GBA had better sound mechanics. Maybe it would have made it a nicer experience for others?

And that's really all I had to say about it. The originals and the remakes are the same in my mind, besides one having enhanced graphics than the other. The game didn't give me a jolt of nostalgia though, HG kinda stole that one.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • I liked them. I didn't think they were better than R/B/Y, but I didn't expect to since R/B/Y fill me with a lot of nostalgia. None of the Pokemon games will ever be better than the first in my eyes. Nevertheless, FR/LG didn't disappoint me. The only complaint I have about the games is the lack of long term enjoyment. Once I beat the Pokemon League, that was it. Granted, it was the same for R/B/Y... but since FR/LG were part of the advance generation... idk, I just expected more. The Sevii islands were a great idea and all, but they were really boring. Someone mentioned the Orange islands... that would have been a nice addition instead of Sevii. I've always wanted to see the Orange Islands in a game... FR/LG was the perfect opportunity and instead we got boring Sevii islands.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    I like FRLG, but not too satisfied. I would like to add Johto and Hoenn after sevii island, and the last efflux with rival (really hard one).

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I didn't like them as much as HgSs and thought they could have added a whole lot more to FrLg if they did (maybe they can remake it again in gen 5...)...

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I've played both FR and LG a lot. I'm a little surprised they're getting panned a lot, but then again, my main hobby is raising powerhouse Pokémon and the last few Sevii Islands are much better than anything RSE offers for training. As someone who played Pokemon Blue before these came out, it was definitely a step up. Of course, my first Pokemon game was Ruby so I naturally preferred a more visually appealing game, and there was no nostalgia factor with me.

That being said, they are definitely inferior games. Once I got Emerald and really started striving for Pokedex completion and crushing the Frontier, it became more apparent how much deeper Emerald is, to stick to the same generation. Even Ruby and Sapphire are deeper...the storyline is more compelling and everything was just a little bit more fresh. FR/LG didn't even have a traditional Battle Tower, which probably made them boring for people who don't like training a Tyranitar to level 90 just for the heck of it.

I have never played HS/SS so I can't compare =(. I will say though, I really fell in love with the last four Sevii Islands because of their music. It was instantly familiar (even though this was not a conscious realization) and very catchy. As it turned out, I recognized them from Gold and Silver since they are remixes, and then the nostalgia really did set in! I have listened to HG/SS remixes and I must say that I wasn't particularly impressed, so at least there was that one bright spot. Pokemon Gold was a game I played and loved a lot, and those remixes (imo) did them justice.

But yeah, they're inferior games. They're still not boring though. Even though I mostly exploit them for TMs and such nowadays, they're still nice. Also, thank the lord for the Vs. Seeker...Trainers' Eyes and Match Call are painfully bad.

Years
  • LeafGreen, to me, has always been that game that I play through, when bored, using a different team of Pokemon, each time. HeartGold had easily replaced LeafGreen in that regard. While I could type a whole paragraph on how and why FRLG is outclassed by HGSS, that's not the topic of this thread. The soundtrack is average at best, the best tracks being saved for the Gym Leaders and Champion, other than those there aren't any other great themes that stand out from the rest. The graphics are a huge improvement from R/B's (obv), in the regard that they give each city a unique "feel". The post-game quests are horribly drab and nowhere near as exciting as visiting Kanto, the Battle Frontier, or the eastern portion of Unova. The part that really killed FRLG for me, goes back to using varied teams, each playthrough. I really didn't like how we were denied access to Pokemon like Kingdra and Crobat, until we beat the Pokemon League. I even own a "FireRed and LeafGreen Handbook", which includes the Johto evolutions and pre-evolutions of the Original 151, quite the means of trick kids, eh? HGSS did a much better job at embracing the Sinnoh evolutions of their Pokemon, going so far as to adding them to the regional dex. The best part of FRLG would have to be how ridiculously easy it is to grind, all you have to do is fire up your Vs. Seeker and go fight the Lv. 40 Machokes on Kindle Road. All in all, FRLG was satisfactory, but it was also outclassed by games, such as HGSS.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I am not bothered by how similar to the original versions they are. I can't stand to play R/B/Y these days because my GBA SP broke and I no longer have any way of playing them with a lit screen, which is... a huge pain. I could tolerate it 12 years ago, but now it's too much for me. lol

However, I certainly did prefer the music of the original. I don't particularly think that the remixes are bad. I loved the G/S/C remixes they did for the Sevii Islands actually.

SonGohan

ドラゴンボール
    Years
  • I got Fire Red a few weeks after it came out and I consider it a bigger waste of my money than Pearl was. The game was just flat out boring and I could barely play it for half an hour without falling asleep. I think the game had way more potential than what they put into it. I give them credit for making a way better version of Kanto in HG/SS but that's a remake of my two favorite games of all time rather than red and blue.

Fire Walker

The Wanderer
    Years
  • I loved FireRed. It is one of my favorite games - IMO, better than D/P/Pt. I feel like they did just the right amount with it, like the E4 Rematch and the Sevii Islands. One thing to change... include some R/S/E Pokémon, perhaps more legendaries, etc. More rival battles, too.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    well, i played FR first, then i played yellow. And i liked YELLOW more. It was before pokemon was a bunch of numbers. and i love the originals.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • i felt quite excited. It was great to play them, because theywere the first remakes, and came as a surprise to me !!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2015
    As an old-timer poke-fan (I watched the the first aired epi of season 1 pokemon in australia, lol) I have to say I LOVE FR/LG as it's let me relive that part of my youth when I was a poke-addict. It's a really good remake in my opinion (and spares my eyes the pain of ancient R/B graphics) as it largely stays true to the nature of R/B; which yes is a little basic but that's the way it's meant to be.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • As an old-timer poke-fan (I watched the the first aired epi of season 1 pokemon in australia, lol) I have to say I LOVE FR/LG as it's let me relive that part of my youth when I was a poke-addict. It's a really good remake in my opinion (and spares my eyes the pain of ancient R/B graphics) as it largely stays true to the nature of R/B; which yes is a little basic but that's the way it's meant to be.
    This. (except the growing up in australia part)

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • I wasn't too happy with them because they just seemed way too slow paced for me. I didn't get Fire Red until after I got Emerald in 2005 and Fire Red just couldn't compete with Emerald's music,animated sprites,in-field graphics and storyline.

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I was fully satisfied with FR/LG, same goes for HG/SS.

I doubt GameFreak would remake 3rd gen games, but if they do, I know I'll be satisfied with it too! ^^

Years
  • I'm the same as SuperSaiyanII, I got Emerald first before I got my copy of Leaf Green. I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed Emerald way more, however, if you don't compare the games, I find Leaf Green to be perfectly satisfactory in its own right, and a really enjoyable remake, for example, the inclusion of the Sevii Islands this time around.

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2022
    The few changes that were made between FR/LG and the original games were actually really annoying. The constant barrage of tutorials and reminders in the game was just horrible. I didn't want plot changes, but they could have at least had some 2nd and 3rd generation appear in the wild THROUGHOUT the game instead of only in the post-game.

If I'm gonna have access to only one generation for most of the game, I'll stick to the games that came before the gimmicky "natures." Catch the level 70 Mewtwo, nature sucks, reset, repeat indefinitely. No thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back