• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed hack: Pokemon Red Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benzee

I got your number, on the wall
Years
  • Pokemon Red Dawn
    Hack of
    FireRed hack: Pokemon Red Dawn

This is probably my 2nd or 3rd attempted hack, first one I'm actually determined to finish. After getting a new computer for my birthday, I was pretty much ready to attempt to create my very own hack. I hope it's not too rubbish, and if it is, please give me as much criticism as you can. Remember, I won't be able to improve anything unless I know specifically what is wrong. Tell me what you don't like, and I'll give the map/storyline/script a lookover again. There's a good chance that I'll fix it. With that out of the way, might as well move on to the Storyline. Enjoy.

Storyline:
    Dolls. Games. Cards. Movies. TV. You are 14 years old and you just can't get enough of the world of Pokemon.
    All you can do is fantasize about going on a real journey alongside Pokemon. You could never go on a real journey because you live in a quiet little
    town named Algama Town. This town is hardly populated. Although a Pokemon Professor does live there, he doesn't actually
    have any Pokemon himself, he just studies them.

On the morning of the Summer Solstice, your mom calls you downstairs and
    tells you that your grandfather wants to speak with you. You travel a house up to find your 84 year old grandfather. He
    tells you that he used to be a Pokemon trainer, and he even went up against the Elite 4 himself. Unfortunately, he was defeated
    during the final battle. He now wants you to experience that same thrill of adventure, bond closely with Pokemon, and
    perhaps someday you would be able to take on the Elite 4. He gives you a Pokemon and sends you on your way to Molset town
    to speak to his old friend, Lance.

Lance tells you that for one to be elligible for a battle against the Elite 4, you must
    challenge the 8 gyms, only 5 of which that are reachable by walking. After giving you all the information he can, he sends
    you back to Algama Town to speak with Professor Thrice. Professor Thrice, reluctant at first, gives you your very own
    Pokedex. Now you are truly ready to go on your journey. Are you ready?

Features:
    *New Region, Origato Region

*4th Gen Sprites

*The first 386 Pokemon are all catchable.

*8 gyms in 8 very different parts of the region. Click the spoiler for an elaboration.
    Spoiler:

*Trainer and Gym battles are actually going to be difficult. No more level 2 & 3 Weedle nonsense.

*"Mystery of Algama Rock" Sidequest. Necessary if you want the Regis.

*Hidden song in the game. Bits and pieces of the lyrics are on signs throughout the region. See if you can find
    every part of the song's lyrics. If you do and provide proof, you'll be in my next hack.

*Possibly a Day and Night system? We'll see.

Screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Help Wanted:
    Spoiler:

Tools/Programs used**:
    Spoiler:

**Tools will be added as I use them. This list will probably be updated in the future as I progress with the hack.
    Currently working on:

Algama Town (Click spoiler for a mapshot)
    Mapping: 99% (First Revision made, another possible depending on feedback)
    Scripting: 98% (Just have the professor script left, will complete when Molset Town is done)
    Spoiler:

Route 1
    Mapping: 99% (Second Revision made, another possible depending on feedback)(Click Spoiler for Mapshot)
    Scripting 100%
    Spoiler:

Also working on inserting 4th Gen Sprites right now.

Special Thanks to:
    Fishrocker, for being a cool cat.

Diegoisawesome, for making his "MEGA-HUGE XSE SCRIPTING TUTORIAL".
    Couldn't have made heads or tails of scripting without it.

Hackmew, For making so many awesome tools.

Lu-Ho, for making Advance-Map.

And last but not least, every hacker who has a thread in Hacks Showcase. They truly show what you can accomplish when
    you focus on a project and try hard.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Hmm... I can't see why there have been no posts yet. To get the ball rolling:

Story: I think the one generic story about grandfathers passing on a legacy has actually never been developed into Pokemon, so I give you points for that. However, that s just the intro. Would be nice if there was a hint of subtlety about the rest, such as the evil team and their goals, unless it is a secret organisation, like a hidden cult... But, small starts are best.

Gyms: Why would Ghosts be in space? I know it is your hack, but Dark and Psychic are the "chaos" when put together. Anyway, I like the order.

Screenshots: Basic, look good, but doesn;t show your scripting talent. I know you've just started this, so I won't be picky. However, maps have too square patch of grass, as well as the paths and mountain thing, as well as too much free space. Also, FR has 5 types of normal grass tiles, but as you want Tile Inserting help, you want to replace it?

And now... I'll PM you about the Tile Insertion thing, as I can help.

Good luck!

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Nice story, sticking to the old forula, with a few modifications is a good idea (most of the time).

Your maps as mentioned appear very square to me. Maybe avoid placing trees in perfect square patterns and avoiding square or even rectangular paths ect.

Hopefully Banjora Marxvile can help you with the tiles, and thus the 5th gen sprites may suit the rest of the graphics
    I wish you good luck :)

Benzee

Years
  • Hmm... I can't see why there have been no posts yet. To get the ball rolling:

Story: I think the one generic story about grandfathers passing on a legacy has actually never been developed into Pokemon, so I give you points for that. However, that s just the intro. Would be nice if there was a hint of subtlety about the rest, such as the evil team and their goals, unless it is a secret organisation, like a hidden cult... But, small starts are best.

Gyms: Why would Ghosts be in space? I know it is your hack, but Dark and Psychic are the "chaos" when put together. Anyway, I like the order.

Screenshots: Basic, look good, but doesn;t show your scripting talent. I know you've just started this, so I won't be picky. However, maps have too square patch of grass, as well as the paths and mountain thing, as well as too much free space. Also, FR has 5 types of normal grass tiles, but as you want Tile Inserting help, you want to replace it?

And now... I'll PM you about the Tile Insertion thing, as I can help.

Good luck!

First of all, I want to thank you for the criticism. It's posts like these that help me improve.
    I never really thought of there being a team or a cult. I know people are getting tired of the "8 gyms, stop evil team, become champion" storyline, so I thought putting a team there might be too generic. But now that I see it's a good feature to have, I'll definitely try and implement that into the story.
    Changed Ghost to Dark in the 8th Gym. I really don't know where my brain was. Forgot there even was a Dark type. Thanks for that bit.
    Thanks for the mapping tips. Didn't really like Route 1 too much to start with, haha. I'm fixing it up right now as I'm typing up this post.

And now... I'll PM you back.

Nice story, sticking to the old forula, with a few modifications is a good idea (most of the time).

Your maps as mentioned appear very square to me. Maybe avoid placing trees in perfect square patterns and avoiding square or even rectangular paths ect.

Hopefully Banjora Marxvile can help you with the tiles, and thus the 5th gen sprites may suit the rest of the graphics
    I wish you good luck :)

Thank you, I was thinking the story was a little generic. But seeing as I got two compliments on it, I guess not, haha.
    Thanks for the idea for the trees. I'm fixing them up right now as we speak.
    Also, they're going to be 4th gen sprites, haha. I don't think 5th gen is out yet :P.

Last edited:

fishrocker

the fish that rocks
    Years
  • Special Thanks to:
    Fishrocker, for being a cool cat.

Really? You mean it?

The hack looks great so far, even though its just a little bit. The story sounds good and I like what you said about the difficulty. Makes me want to play it.
    I personality don't see anything wrong yet, however, if I do, I will let you know.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    First of all, I want to thank you for the criticism. It's posts like these that help me improve.
    I never really thought of there being a team or a cult. I know people are getting tired of the "8 gyms, stop evil team, become champion" storyline, so I thought putting a team there might be too generic. But now that I see it's a good feature to have, I'll definitely try and implement that into the story.
    Changed Ghost to Dark in the 8th Gym. I really don't know where my brain was. Forgot there even was a Dark type. Thanks for that bit.
    Thanks for the mapping tips. Didn't really like Route 1 too much to start with, haha. I'm fixing it up right now as I'm typing up this post.

And now... I'll PM you back.

Thank you, I was thinking the story was a little generic. But seeing as I got two compliments on it, I guess not, haha.
    Thanks for the idea for the trees. I'm fixing them up right now as we speak.
    Also, they're going to be 4th gen sprites, haha. I don't think 5th gen is out yet :P.

-self face palm-

LOL, I donno what I was thinking when I said 5th gen :P
    Nice to see that everything is organised and you've everything planned out :D

Benzee

Years
  • The maps aren't the best, they need improvement.

Thank you. This helps a lot and I now know exactly what to change.

Can you give me some SPECIFICS? What to change, what you don't like etc. I can't really improve if that's all you're going to say. :\

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • Thank you. This helps a lot and I now know exactly what to change.

Can you give me some SPECIFICS? What to change, what you don't like etc. I can't really improve if that's all you're going to say. :\

I suggest one thing the path is little bit to wide and so it look weird.
    also the tree placement is narrow

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Well, some parts of your maps look...empty...
    And some of it seems...random...
    The mountian tiles in the hometown look out of place.
    as well as the blue house with the red house.
    Do you get me?
    I can also see some tile errors.

Benzee

Years
  • Well, some parts of your maps look...empty...
    And some of it seems...random...
    The mountian tiles in the hometown look out of place.
    as well as the blue house with the red house.
    Do you get me?
    I can also see some tile errors.

Well looking at the starter town again it has now dawned on me that I could probably do better with the mapping.
    Also, you raise a point about the mountain tiles. Maybe I'll save it for a bit later in the game.
    Don't really see what's so bad about the red house with the blue house. Looks fine to me :\.
    Thanks for being specific about the tile errors by the way. I know exactly which ones you're talking about, I'll go fix them right now.
    I map square, I'm critcised. I map with different patterns, I'm criticised. Just make up your minds people.

@DuoRyan I'll fix that as soon as I can interpret what you just wrote. Which path? What map?

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • Well looking at the starter town again it has now dawned on me that I could probably do better with the mapping.
    Also, you raise a point about the mountain tiles. Maybe I'll save it for a bit later in the game.
    Don't really see what's so bad about the red house with the blue house. Looks fine to me :\.
    Thanks for being specific about the tile errors by the way. I know exactly which ones you're talking about, I'll go fix them right now.
    I map square, I'm critcised. I map with different patterns, I'm criticised. Just make up your minds people.

@DuoRyan I'll fix that as soon as I can interpret what you just wrote. Which path? What map?

both map as you see in map 1 the path look wide

Benzee

Years
  • both map as you see in map 1 the path look wide

Okay I think I know what you're talking about. Fixing it up the Starter town now. Thanks for the criticism guys, really making me think. Improved maps will hopefully be up by tonight.

aquadan

is searching for members
    Years
  • Looks Awesome :3
    Nice originality.
    i kinda wanna make my own hack again, hahaha

sorry i can be of any help,
    i got not problems with this hack

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years
  • Pokemon Red Dawn
    Hack of Pokemon FireRed

This is probably my 2nd or 3rd attempted hack, first one I'm actually determined to finish. After getting a new computer for my birthday, I was pretty much ready to aattempt to create my very own hack. I hope it's not too rubbish, and if it is, INSULT ME. Tell me what you don't like, and I WILL fix it. With that out of the way, might as well move on to the Storyline. Enjoy.

For one, no one should insult you, we're here to have fun and respect each other. Two; I really hope you try to finish this hack. Your concept is pretty original, and you seem skilled. Don't give up; keep working at it. If you need a spriter, I am pretty skilled at spriting.

Sorry, I'll pm you. ^^;

Last edited:

Benzee

Years
  • For one, no one should insult you, we're here to have fun and respect each other. Two; I really hope you try to finish this hack. Your concept is pretty original, and you seem skilled. Don't give up; keep working at it. If you need a spriter, I am pretty skilled at spriting.

Thank you, that really means a lot.

I guess I really meant "give me lots of criticism". Guess I should change that now.

Thanks for the spriter offer. I'll PM you when I can get some ideas down on paper of what the sprites should look like, if you don't mind of course.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Algama town looks a bit better, but maybe you should lose the fences and bushes.
    Also, the path should stretch all the way through the town, not just the house and sign.

Last edited:

fishrocker

the fish that rocks
    Years
  • I agree with crunch about the path and the fence. And I noticed something about the gyms. You say 6 can be walked to, but you cannot walk to an island, the sky, or space so it should say 5. Other than that, it's looking great. Can't wait for a beta/demo.

Benzee

Years
  • I agree with crunch about the path and the fence. And I noticed something about the gyms. You say 6 can be walked to, but you cannot walk to an island, the sky, or space so it should say 5. Other than that, it's looking great. Can't wait for a beta/demo.

Haha just fixed that bit in the story. Working on the path now, coming out a bit square at the moment though. :cer_pissed:

Any opinions on Route 1?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back