• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed is edited massively. WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
  • You mean the Ruby Destiny guy? Those games weren't for me - they were a bit too similar to RSE, which were quite bad.

That was because they were made in a time when not much was known about R/S/E hacking.

There's nothing wrong with Ruby, it's not some people's cup of tea.
    The graphics can easily be changed, but I don't like hacking Ruby.

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    It's high in GBA graphics, and there are a lot of tools for the GBA games.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • That was because they were made in a time when not much was known about R/S/E hacking.

There's nothing wrong with Ruby, it's not some people's cup of tea.
    The graphics can easily be changed, but I don't like hacking Ruby.

Actually people have known a lot about Ruby since about 2004.

ProClifo

The Village Pirate Cat
    Years
  • My reason is that PKSVUI is only working in FRLG, and the reason I chose FireRed was because it sounds cooler, lol.

Sgt. Custard

Novice Hacker
    Years
  • I find it kind of irritating when people say "Oh, emerald isn't unstable at all". Yes it is. I'm sorry, but weeeird things happen in it for absolutely no reason. Like once I was inserting some tiles. Everything seemed fine, I clicked save and immediately and irreversibly every single tile in the game changed into the corner of a blue tree. I mean WTF?!

Sure there are ways around it, namely regular backing up and being really careful not to do anything stupid, but most people prefer to hack games that are easier and require less effort. And to be honest the extra features aren't worth it.

As for LG/S, it's just convention not to use them, because there's almost no difference between them and we may as well focus our efforts on finding pointers etc. on one game. It also saves you having to download 4-5 illegal ROMS as opposed to 2-3 to account for all hacks.

For FR-R the distinction is less clear. As I see it the only things FR has going for it is better graphics and the extra world maps, along with a couple of extra scripting functions.

However, this can be overcome with tile inserting and ASM. Furthermore, RS has a real-time clock, something that would be nearly impossible for all but the most experienced ASM coder to build in, a working berry system, pokéblocks, contests etc.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I find it kind of irritating when people say "Oh, emerald isn't unstable at all". Yes it is. I'm sorry, but weeeird things happen in it for absolutely no reason. Like once I was inserting some tiles. Everything seemed fine, I clicked save and immediately and irreversibly every single tile in the game changed into the corner of a blue tree. I mean WTF?!
    That is obviously a bug in the tool. That tool is misbehaving when using an Emerald ROM. It is not Emerald's fault.

Of course if the tools are buggy then you probably would rather use a ROM that is better supported. But if that's the case, say it like it is—"This ROM is not widely supported," not "This ROM is 'unstable.'" Hacking is not (or shouldn't be) some mystical voodoo—everything has a reason.

If people would stop mindlessly repeating "Oh, [insert ROM here] is unstable," then maybe more tool authors would fix their bugs with respect to the version instead of thinking "Won't bother, this ROM is 'unstable' anyway."

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    Ok... It's a simple answer
    Which is better, Pokemon Blue or Red? Gold or Silver? Ruby or Sapphire? Diamond or Pearl? It's arguable.
    However, the fact is more people buy one version more than another (more frequent use).
    In terms of more game owned
    Red > Blue
    Gold > Silver etc etc
    Fire Red is just a more common practice. Red just attracts more people. Like Gold attracted more people than silver.
    The simple answer is that people are likely to hack something that is frequently used and owned. Generally speaking, that's why pokemon itself is a popular hacking game (frequently played). (no one hacks Pink Monkey Town XP)

NatureKeeper

I get it now. Thanks birthday and... *burns dawn's hat for saying that DJG's hacks looks like ruby* err.. and thanks everybody else.

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
  • Ok... It's a simple answer
    Which is better, Pokemon Blue or Red? Gold or Silver? Ruby or Sapphire? Diamond or Pearl? It's arguable.
    However, the fact is more people buy one version more than another (more frequent use).
    In terms of more game owned
    Red > Blue
    Gold > Silver etc etc
    Fire Red is just a more common practice. Red just attracts more people. Like Gold attracted more people than silver.
    The simple answer is that people are likely to hack something that is frequently used and owned. Generally speaking, that's why pokemon itself is a popular hacking game (frequently played). (no one hacks Pink Monkey Town XP)
    Haha that's wierd. I own two copies of each the 1st and 2nd gen games, and my favorite is the opposites of most peoples
    Red<Blue
    Gold<Silver
    Sapphire<Ruby (Groudon is the best uber IMO)
    FireRed<Leaf Green
    So I guess there's no method to the madness, just peoples taste in... colors. Lol were a shallow bunch, aren't we?

NatureKeeper

Hey, We're like each other, Here's my list:

Red<Yellow<Blue
    Crystal<Gold<Silver
    Sapphire<Emerald<Ruby
    FireRed<Leaf Green
    Pearl>Diamond>PLatinum

Uhh, and I noticed that Patching FireRed and LeafGreen doesn't matter much? Somebody patched Choas Black on LeafGreen.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't actually know why. Firered annoys me and Ruby runs faster anyhow. Ruby also has +6 MB of free space, and most of the programs are compatible with it. I really don't understand why Ruby is the more often hacked rom out there. besides I animated teh mons in Ruby so there

Years
  • Sorry for late reply, some of this stuff I jsut too awesome...
    Because RSE is a load of crap.
    16 of agreement!
    Crap, eh? If it's crap, DJG Hacks are crap? Think about it.
    I don't think you can deffend a game with a few single hacks...
    But If you can then...

Let's try again!
    Crap, eh? If it's crap, DJG Hacks are crap? Think about it.
    Yeah, then ruby diffently is bad!

The quality of the games doesn't change the hacking quality.
    That's a joke, right?

The quality of the ingridiens you use for your dinner doesn't change the quilty of the final result...
    You can buy the worst and bad smelly fish and it'll be a good dinner...

That was because they were made in a time when not much was known about R/S/E hacking.
    No they were not, they were bad in a time where the author of the hack didn't knew much about R/S/E..

Don't go on commenting DJG. He's awesome! The Hacks he made are unimaginable!
    He's not more awesome then many other hacker...

The hack he makes is predicktable, boring and a bit bad...

I find it kind of irritating when people say "Oh, emerald isn't unstable at all". Yes it is. I'm sorry, but weeeird things happen in it for absolutely no reason. Like once I was inserting some tiles. Everything seemed fine, I clicked save and immediately and irreversibly every single tile in the game changed into the corner of a blue tree. I mean WTF?!

Sure there are ways around it, namely regular backing up and being really careful not to do anything stupid, but most people prefer to hack games that are easier and require less effort. And to be honest the extra features aren't worth it.
    ASHHAHAHHAHHAHHHAGHAHHA.. Joke of the day...

OR MAYBE YOUR UNSTABEL AND HAV N0 CLUES what's BEHIND UR PRETTY GUI'S DA MAKZ U DA ROMHAXOR:!:!:
    It's because people asume emerald and Ruby has the same gameplay, then they can use the same tools without edits...

I don't actually know why. Firered annoys me and Ruby runs faster anyhow. Ruby also has +6 MB of free space, and most of the programs are compatible with it. I really don't understand why Ruby is the more often hacked rom out there. besides I animated teh mons in Ruby so there
    What the f.... would you use those 6 mb of free space too? Comeplety useless...
    Ruby runs faster, what do you mean?

NatureKeeper

FireRed is basically a 1:1 copy of LeafGreen except for the different offsets.

--
    There's no such thing as an "unstable" ROM. Only unstable tools.

Well thanks hackmew. Well, It' time to me to tell my opinion after hearing all comments.

FireRed is the easiest to edit, has the most tools, the most popular.

*Case Closed. Moderator locking in advance please..*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back