• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed is edited massively. WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Firered has the better default tileset, and it just got more tools and attention(Which usually means less buggy tools) than ruby. enough said.
    On a side note, stop bashing(or whatever you want to call it) Dawns hat. He is just as qualified to post his opinion as any one of us is.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    There's no such thing as an "unstable" ROM. Only unstable tools.
    Sure there is~~ roms that are hacked xp

Another reason besides version more bought and frequently used, etc

img268.imageshack.us/img268/1125/62631366.png
    Just... LOOK!!!! Compare with that with ruby sprite =-=
    Fire Red sprite >>>> Ruby

Years
    Opinions with FireRed & Emerald:
    EMERALD FIRERED
    Actually stabler with Easier to find
    tools then FR/LG titlescreen

More scripts already| Less scripts
    inserted| inserted

More events to remove| Less events to remove

More free space| Less free space

Has animations Doesn't have animations

Emerald wins!

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    The quality of the ingridiens you use for your dinner doesn't change the quilty of the final result...
    You can buy the worst and bad smelly fish and it'll be a good dinner...

You know what I mean. Both Ruby and Firered have nearly the same potential hack possibilities. Also, everything people don't like in Ruby can be changed with ease, such as tiles, sprites, scripts, text (I hated the text so much...). Aso, about the fish, you can. It's what you add. You have the base thing, and so you add more, and make it better.

If you hacked both, it depends on wich you have more knowledge of, as with everything. I personally have knowledge of Ruby more, but only a little bit, as I am not a good hacker.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011

No, that's called a screwed up ROM.
    FireRed isn't better than Ruby just for the graphics. Graphics can be easily replaced.

Opinions with FireRed & Emerald:
    EMERALD FIRERED
    Actually stabler with Easier to find
    tools then FR/LG titlescreen

More scripts already| Less scripts
    inserted| inserted

More events to remove| Less events to remove

More free space| Less free space

Has animations Doesn't have animations

Emerald wins!

It could have made sense, if the word "stable" wasn't used at all.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    because is ... esasy xD i think
    mmm the only i dont like is when the people dont remove the sprite of the protagonist and leave the one that is in the game

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Well thanks hackmew. Well, It' time to me to tell my opinion after hearing all comments.

FireRed is the easiest to edit, has the most tools, the most popular.

*Case Closed. Moderator locking in advance please..*
    Favourite idiotic conclusion of the day!

Although this definitely deserves an honourable mention.

Seriously, people who hate hacking Ruby need to actually hack it for a while. It isn't all that bad. And by "faster running" I mean it's engine is technically more efficient, which can be witnessed by using the fast forward in VBA, because it doesn't use as many dynamic pointers. Which is really a double edged sword, but being a hacker, it makes it a bit easier for me to find certain offsets in the RAM, and why would I care if someone just hacked some killer Benubaby for the fun of it? lawl

The only disadvantage I honestly see is item pictures, the inability to rename your rival and the lack of a cry on the title screen. But... are those features really that important, compared to a useful Realtime clock? (besides, with ASM, you can do anything!)

I started hacking Emerald on Friday. Why is it that people call it unstable? Because it's probably something done at their own hand, some stupid, n00bish mistake they made because they don't know what they're doing. I mean, I accidentally messed up Lotad's cry, but I at least know how to fix it. You can't really judge the bases until you've been in it for a while, know how to fix your mistakes and know what to look for.

Edit: I'd most times stay on the safe side with a Moderator, but I'll be honest. Just because DJG has a nice little Moderator button next to her username does not make her the best hacker. She has talent, yes, but for things that most people can do after a little practice. I like her hacks for her creativity rather than her ability, because to be honest, a truly great hack is monitored by how much you push your own abilities with creativity than "how good of a hacker you are".

And thus becomes my public statement to PC - JUST. BECAUSE. YOU. CAN. MAP. DOESN'T MAKE YOU A GREAT HACKER. I am so sick and tired of listening to people decimate hacks that are original, creative and intelligent simply because instead changing maps they changed ASM routines or hacked cries, music, arguments and other more complicated aspects of hacking. I don't mind the maps, believe me, horrible maps can kill a game. But why should they be stressed over more advanced parts of hacking? It simply dumbfounds me.

Remember kids - changing a few sprites to demented looking animals and tinkering with maps does not make you a genuinely good hacker, and will not make you unique. Try learning more about the game you're actually hacking than using the programs to do it for you. Besides having a larger knowledge of the game in general, you will learn how to fix deadly mistakes instead of pitching your rom.

And I'm spent.

Last edited:

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
    PKSVUI works with G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG. Well, at least, I'm pretty sure it does.

It does. ;)

because is ... esasy xD i think
    mmm the only i dont like is when the people dont remove the sprite of the protagonist and leave the one that is in the game

In my opinion, the protagonist's original sprite is fine - a hack should be fun to play, and past that little else matters.

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    There isn't a problem in Emerald as I inserted dozens of successful Earthquake Scripts based on Emerald.

Emerald isn't unstable. It's just that people didn't try to put a lot of effort in it.

Finally someone does understand! Emerald just isnt exactly like Ruby, people just dont get that so they put Ruby techniques when hacking emerald and they get a screwed up result.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Finally someone does understand! Emerald just isnt exactly like Ruby, people just dont get that so they put Ruby techniques when hacking emerald and they get a screwed up result.
    *coughhack*
    Those people who don't understand the differences between Ruby and Emerald... that's like 95% of Pokecommunity, unfortunately.
    *hackcoughcough*

Understanding how the Rom is put together is a good thing to do. That's why I encourage it. It can even prevent you from permanently screwing over your rom! How nice.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    No, that's called a screwed up ROM.
    FireRed isn't better than Ruby just for the graphics. Graphics can be easily replaced.
    screwed up ROM can also be considered as unstable, as it is literally unpredictable
    There are other words in the english dictionary.
    150+ sprites for every game, not just that there are around 4-8 frames for each sprite. Easily may not be the word you are looking for if you want to "replace" them, it can be labor intensive.

[/COLOR]

I agree, scripts I worked on Emerald was fine. There isn't that much diff, it's no different from hacking in leaf or sapphire.

The problem I have with Emerald is that it does not bring a lot of new goodies. What I mean is, the only reason ppl would hack ruby instead of red is that there are contests + berry planting (though this one can be easily scripted in). It just have extra cut scenes which I really don't need. I guess only extra goodie is the battle contest, but I rather not use that =-=

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    screwed up ROM can also be considered as unstable, as it is literally unpredictable
    There are other words in the english dictionary.
    150+ sprites for every game, not just that there are around 4-8 frames for each sprite. Easily may not be the word you are looking for if you want to "replace" them, it can be labor intensive.

If the ROM get's unpredictable, it's just the hacker's fault who had no idea what he/she was and is doing.

And yeah, there are other words in the English dictionary, you may want to get one someday. As you should know, words have different meanings, too. I never said it wouldn't require some effort, and indeed I meant "easy" as "posing no difficulty". In other words, it is not difficult to replace graphics, it just requires some time, time that can be influenced by a lot of factors.

Last edited:

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    The two-framed sprite thing is pretty easy to understand, I don't understand why people would be complaining :\

I use the same thing in Jupi. XP

It's a 64x128 pixel sprite with the first frame on top and last frame on bottom. If you can't understand that, then... wow...

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    If the ROM get's unpredictable, it's just the hacker's fault who had no idea what he/she was and is doing.

Yeah, it is unstable nevertheless

And yeah, there are other words in the English dictionary, you may want to get one someday. As you should know, words have different meanings, too. I never said it wouldn't require some effort, and indeed I meant "easy" as "posing no difficulty". In other words, it is not difficult to replace graphics, it just requires some time, time that can be influenced by a lot of factors.
    1. Yeah, you said before, "FireRed isn't better than Ruby just for the graphics. Graphics can be easily replaced".
    FireRed is better in terms of graphics since you don't have to replace them in the first place (unless you want to spend hours).

2. Time is a factor when assessing difficulty, e.g. in exams, less time = more difficult or even in projects if there is time restriction, it becomes harder. If you take ppl in this forum for example, time restriction is amount of time ppl spend on this "hobby"(whatever you want to call it).

"Easily" was not the best word used as I said before, due to your ambiguity in your sentence.

There would be a debate whether FireRed actually does have better graphic or not, but it's obvious ppl just prefer FireRed's graphics. Let's not discuss the fonts since there are font patches available for Ruby/Sapph. (when I changed the ruby's fonts to red's one looked so much better.)

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Yeah, it is unstable nevertheless
    1. Yeah, you said before, "FireRed isn't better than Ruby just for the graphics. Graphics can be easily replaced".
    FireRed is better in terms of graphics since you don't have to replace them in the first place (unless you want to spend hours).

2. Time is a factor when assessing difficulty, e.g. in exams, less time = more difficult or even in projects if there is time restriction, it becomes harder. If you take ppl in this forum for example, time restriction is amount of time ppl spend on this "hobby"(whatever you want to call it).

"Easily" was not the best word used as I said before, due to your ambiguity in your sentence.

There would be a debate whether FireRed actually does have better graphic or not, but it's obvious ppl just prefer FireRed's graphics. Let's not discuss the fonts since there are font patches available for Ruby/Sapph. (when I changed the ruby's fonts to red's one looked so much better.)
    Congratulations! You are a retard.

Point one is useless. How good the graphics are your opinion and your opinion only. Besides. Most people EDIT the graphics anyhow so who would give a damn if they're "good" or not?

Point two is... point... two... =_=

And then you return to the debate that "SINZ THE GRAFIKS R BETTR FR IS BETTR", which again, most times, the graphics are edited ANYHOW so WHY THE HELL WOULD IT MATTER. All of the game's graphics, from fonts to sprites, can be changed to the hacker's qualifications if only you believe... and have the effort to do so.

Your post proves that you are a lazy, unmotivated person who can barely speak your first language in an effective manner and doesn't understand a single word you are saying about hacking.

I hope you like your prize! :)

Last edited:

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2010
    The first gen pokemon in Fire Red just look better than the same pokemon in R/S/E, and also, it has the best pokedex of any pokemon game ever.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    The first gen pokemon in Fire Red just look better than the same pokemon in R/S/E, and also, it has the best pokedex of any pokemon game ever.
    Although your first point is crap, your second point is actually one of the first reasons I've seen so far that makes hacking FR/LG somewhat attractive looking.

But still no cigar. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2010
    FireRed is an all round classic. Better graphics, better sprites (in my opinion), more tilespace, and there isnt this really bad intro with the truck and movers like in ruby. And i think the world map/layout is generally better. And, its a remake of the first generation (in my opinion the best set of storylines and characters in the anime/games)

But i guess LeafGreen isnt as popular? idk why.

But i'm hacking Fire Red haha :P

Years
    I don't like Fire Red personally...

Even though I break this rule, I tell you this: The graphics/art does not matter about a game! Only what the story and what you can and cant do!
    of course nobody cares about this rule and only likes the new games just because the graphics are leet/1337 (leet/1337 means awesome for the noobs.)
    I liked red more even though firered is just a more advanced version of red.

~Xcv2007/Xcv2008/Xcv2009 (all the same person)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back