• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Firered/Leafgreen vs. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    A lot of Wesley's tiles went missing. Plus, I don't want to seem unoriginal by just using all of his stuff like everyone else.

And on top of that, I'd need to make some of my own tiles anyhow, meaning I would have to imitate both his palette and his style...

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012

BT

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    thats amazing... I would make like heartgold and put kanto and johto together xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The end result is still going to depend far more on your skills at designing games than whichever ROM you decide to use as base. Don't go around claiming that awards and prestige are earned based on a few minor features that might or might not be available for you to make use of.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • The main thing is the story, guys. Come on, we all know that, right?

I mean, Halo wouldn't have so many fans if its story sucked, right?

So basically I think that the whole thing here is based on how many features you need to add.

FR/LG: A largely text-based game (Which is fine, but you have to try harder)
    Emerald: A large, complicated storyline that involves NPCs interacting with the player (Which is easy, and not as much effort...still a lot of effort though)
    R/S: A mix between both. WARNING, because maps are very limited.

BT

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    The main thing is the story, guys. Come on, we all know that, right?

So basically I think that the whole thing here is based on how many features you need to add.

Emerald: A large, complicated storyline that involves NPCs interacting with the player (Which is easy, and not as much effort...still a lot of effort though)

I know that...

It has a good story?

exactly! wait what...

wait.. FR/LG u have to try harder...

U know I dont see much emerald hacks nowadays...

How are maps limited? tiles?

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Emerald is great and amazingly useful if you change a lot of its graphics and such to be more like FireRed. Because, let's face it, Emerald's graphics blow. (at least, they feel like they do to me)
    Let's face it, all GBA Pokemon games graphics blow. Sure FR/LG may have better looking tiles than R/S/E, but compared to other GBA games, all GBA Pokemon games actually have really bland graphics.

Game Freak really pushed the GBA to its limits, didn't they? /sarcasm

The main thing is the story, guys. Come on, we all know that, right?

Um... the story of the original game doesn't really have anything to do with the hack because we can hack it to have whatever story we want. I can easily make a hack of Pokemon Ruby AND FireRed AND Emerald AND even Gold where Reshiram eats giant helicopters inside of a blue tomato with guitars made out of yarn, while Team Nazi tries to take over the Facebook region, in an attempt to capture the very powerful legendary Pokemon, a Lv47 Chaosrush.

angel2cute

master of every pokemon game.
    Years
  • i think its watever game u like most some may seam essayer but the harder one take more time it relly donst matter go with the game u think is most fun to play

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Um... the story of the original game doesn't really have anything to do with the hack because we can hack it to have whatever story we want. I can easily make a hack of Pokemon Ruby AND FireRed AND Emerald AND even Gold where Reshiram eats giant helicopters inside of a blue tomato with guitars made out of yarn, while Team Nazi tries to take over the Facebook region, in an attempt to capture the very powerful legendary Pokemon, a Lv47 Chaosrush.

Okay, you have a point, but the story is the main thing for me at least.

I mean, what's the first thing that caught your eyes when you first played a game? Something to do, a story. Now, a story is not necessary, but it's the reason why I lost all interest in all MMORPGs. It's not like team building and training is particularly fun for anyone to do for twenty-three hours straight (except for breeding but that another story).

My LeafGreen save file is at around 30 hours, and I just finished the story. (okay I suck) But nonetheless that would have never been possible if the story had never happened e.g. I never had to do the Pokémon Tower, I never had to save the Kanto Region from Team Rocket, blahbityblah

Now maybe your opinion is different; I'll acknowledge that people are different, and I'll respect your side of when you decide wether or not to have a story in your own personal hack.
    In return, I expect fully that a flame war doesn't start over this, resulting in both of us getting docked for this prtyplz

i think its watever game u like most some may seam essayer but the harder one take more time it relly donst matter go with the game u think is most fun to play

Exactly.
    AHAHAHA ANYWAYSNow I know you still might be angry or something so I'll just shut up

xephos

xephos Inc.
    Years
  • Ruby has:
    *a sexier Pokedex system
    *more trainer battle music
    *more trainer encounter music
    *an actual Battle Tower
    *it plays the berry sound when you get a berry
    *it plays the TM sound when you get a TM
    *it plays the item sound when you get an item
    *Mach Bike, the bike that doesn't suck

FireRed has:
    *weird Pokedex system (in my opinion, don't attack me)
    *only 3 trainer battle music
    *only 3 trainer encounter music
    *Trainer Tower (YOU CALL THIS A BATTLE TOWER!?!?!?)
    *it plays the level-up sound when you get a berry, unlike RSE
    *it plays the level-up sound when you get a TM, unlike RSE
    *it plays the level-up sound when you get an item, unlike RSE
    *the bike is really really really slow and sucks

That is it pretty much summed up, and I hate the pokedex in Fr/Lg

MrAPT1

That one guy who does stuff
    Years
  • If I had the patience to actually insert all of the FRLG tiles, battle backgrounds, menus and such, I'd be hacking Emerald right now. Unfortunately, such a base does not exist to my knowledge, so FireRed is what I stick to, for pure convenience, (at the cost of some things like battle animations). It's all already there for me to use.

Back