• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen First minutes playing Pokemon red/blue?

Years
  • I actually started out with Pokemon Yellow. I was about 3 or 4 or so at the time. Here's me playing the game for the first time:
    "My precious, oh my precious..."
    You should've seen my reaction when I first discovered Mewtwo... ^^;

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I remember I was like 8 or 9 and I was playing yellow on the gameboy color.
    I was sitting on the edge of the couch holding the game under the lamp. After I got my Pikachu I was walking in that grass above pallet and I still swear to this day I saw a pidgeotto.

Or It might have been a dream.

Whether or not, it was still amazing.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • I was like 4 or something when I first got red and my sis got yellow so I don't really remember much other than picking charmander, and geodude looking nothing like he does in the tv show.

Before I owned it, I was so utterly confused bacuase I didn't know how to leave the house...

I was so excited to finally be playing the game, but I got a little frustrated when I couldn't figure out how to get out of the house... I felt stupid once I realized you just walked out.

I got red version and the first few minutes was me being frustrated because i couldn't get out of the house.

at first i didn't know how to leave the house.. and i was pissedd lol!!!
    lol houses are too complicated

It@chi Bl@st

Lone Trainer
    Years
  • I remember when I was 8 years old when my dad first bought yellow version

When I looked at the back of it's box and saw those screenshots(especially the battle screen), I said to myself "huh? this game looks so hard!"

But when I started playing the game, I was frustrated and said "Dang this this easy to play!"

You should've seen my reaction when I first discovered Mewtwo... ^^;

Yeah! When I first encountered Mewtwo(But I killed him and saved the game which I shouldn't have done that!), I went around the house to show of the Mewtwo I saw to everyone, including my dad...!

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
  • I can't remember anything about the first minutes of Red. In fact, I can't remember the moment I got the game + GBC. Only bits from various parts, like trying to get through Rock Tunnel without Flash. I just kept the GBC under a strong lamp =P
    My primary language is not English, so I'm surprised I got that far. Didn't know how to use the PC though. I just thought you can only have 6 pokemon. I remember choosing Charmander and catching Geodude.

Then I remember the day when I sat outside and played it. When I was done, I took the GBC inside. I checked back later, and found out it had disappeared. (Later found out that my stepfather had stolen and sold it. He "drank the money".)

TehYoshiNinja

Back, again.
    Years
  • Aaah... well, I can't remember my first moments with Blue... I vaguely remember, when I found Mewtwo, something along the lines of:
    'Uh? Level 70? But...its moves...they SUCK!'
    Yes, I was yet another 'if moves don't do super epic haxxor damage, they suck' kid...

Ooh! Ooh! And my team back when I faced the Elite 4 (I typed it up as soon as I reached them) was:
    - Blastoise
    - Articuno
    - Muk
    - Pidgeotto
    - Tangela
    And finally...
    - Sandslash, who I thought was the epitome of cool...

Last edited:

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    I remember getting Red version for my seventh birthday.

I was obsessed with Bulbasaur at the time and picked him right off the bat.

I also remember having like 2 or 3 caterpies in my party, a metapod, and a weedle.

I figured that the bug catchers were smart by having more than one of the same pokemon.

I also didn't save my game at all and got in an endless battle of harden with a bug catcher. I didn't know that pokemon could struggle at the time so I shut off the game and had to start all over.

Pancake-fong

Lady Yuri Pancake Mistress
    Years
  • I first got Pokemon Blue when I was 8.

My feelings? At first, absolute fear/terror. This changed to utter relief/excitement. Why?

I thought that when I started the game, it would ask me for my age. I was scared that it wouldn't let me play because I wasn't 10 yet and therefore couldn't go on a Pokemon journey, as stated by the TV show. Once I figured that was not the case, I had so much fun raising my Squirtle.

Halfwit

Super Monk
    Years
  • pancake-fong: oh dear, that made me laugh xD;

I'm yet another person who didn't know how to leave the house the first time I played it D:
    It was also absolutely ages before I used the "run" option in battles. I thought that it was some kind of programme running function, and I was scared to use it in case I messed up the game ;_;

The first few times I played it [and there were many times, because of this], I got bored by the time I went to pewter and would just restart the game and do it again xD
    I think I was in a sort of.. tetris mindset. You get to a certain point and start again. When I finally played it through I wondered why I'd ever kept restarting it.. and I still wonder that.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I never played Pokemon Red/Blue, I started with Pokemon Gold, but it was still fun.
    It was back when I had a regular game boy. I swear I could see colour.

Years
  • I remember trying to memorize all the Pokemon's names before getting the game because I thought I would have to, lol.

I knew right from the beginning that Squirtle was my favorite starter.

Also, when I saw Brock's Onix, I was like "OMFG I WANT AN ONIX <33" and rushed through the game to Rock Tunnel in order to get one. And then I got one. And then it sucked. D:

For the longest time I thought the most effective balanced team was water, fire, grass, electric, rock, normal. -____-; And then I got to types like Dragon and Ghost and I was like "I thought I had a balanced team, why can't I beat these D:"

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • I got lost in Viridian Forest. Yep, those were the days.

I was super excited. I had the guide eons before I got the game, and I had a list of all the pokemon I wanted to catch in the game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    I think I was eight when I first started playing Pokemon Yellow [I didn't get Red or Blue for a few years after that!!! and I only got those games because my friend didn't want them any more]. But anyway, when I first started playing Pokemon, i was in LOVE! you could NOT seperate me from my Gameboy Color (Teal!! i still have it, duh!). I already knew kinda how to play it since my friends all had the Blue/Red games before I ever even got my gameboy! So I was ready to rush right into my Pokemon adventure. Ahh, those were the days! Gah I miss them.

Back