• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Flare Blitz Flareon nao- GSC Monospecies Challenge

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
Years
  • I think it's been about 2 months since I last made a challenge here. I've decided to warm up my challenge-starved brain with a simple Monospecies challenge.

One thing, though...

Spoiler:

Here's the rules:
    - You can use one species of Pokemon. This includes the evolutionary family.
    - This also means taht you can train any pokemon in that family(i.e. if you choose Scyther, you can have 3 scythers and 2 Scizors if you want with an HM Slave).
    -Eevee is not allowed to be used, too much cheapness.
    - You can use any Pokemon that is CATCHABLE in the game BEFORE YOU GET TO ILEX FOREST. THIS MEANS THAT AIPOM AND HERACROSS CAN BE USED, AS THEY ARE FOUND IN AZALEA TOWN.
    - Your challenge ends when you beat Red.
    -HM slaves are allowed, but cannot be trained.
    - You can catch Pokemon for your pokedex, but cannot train them.
    - If a HM slave or Pokemon u caught for the Dex levels up, you MUST release that pokemon.
    - Here's a list of Pokemon that u can use, just to reasuure everyone:
    Totodile
    Cyndaquil
    Chikorita
    Pidgey
    Sentret
    Caterpie
    Weedle
    Poliwag
    Spinarak
    Ekans
    Exeggcute
    Phanpy
    Spearow
    Geodude
    Onix
    Zubat
    Gastly
    Bellsprout
    Ratata
    Hoppip
    Wooper
    Hoothoot
    Slowpoke
    Sandshrew
    Aipom
    Heracross
    Teddiursa
    Togepi
    Pineco
    Goldeen(rare with old rod)
    Dunsparce(credits to bantamtim)
    Jigglypuff(credits to bantamtin)
    Ledyba(credits to bantamtin)
    Growlithe(credits to shadoweagle89)
    Mareep(credits to BidoofMaster)
    Magikarp(credits to L'Viaquez and suicidesal)
    Qwilfish*Rare with Old Rod at Route 32 Swarm*(Credits to Water PKMN Trainer)
    - No Gameshark or Action Replay can be used.
    - You can evolve the species you are using.
    - If someone else has a species, you can't use that same species.
    - If you know of a pokemon that is catchable between the start of the game and Azalea Town, let me know and I'll put it in with your name for credits.
    - You can trade TMs ONLY from another file. Pokemon who have TMs attached are the only way to get them, so you can trade the pokemon over, but are NOT allowed to use it in battle.
    - Trading to evolve is allowed, only for the dex on pokemon htat aren't your species. If it is your species, you can continue to train it after it is evolved.

Trainers who have signed up:

Sc4rfCh0mp: Poliwag 53:48
    Angelic Diablo: Geodude 21:04
    ChamsRock: Onix
    J.M.: Totodile
    msdfabio: Exxegcute 10:19
    MoonlightKnight: Gastly(dropped out)
    bantamtim- Slowpoke
    Pheonix the fire Master/ Blaine's Best student- Growlithe
    sdfs: wooper 35:55
    woooooooooooohooooooo: Teddiursa 32:30
    wus6r: caterpie
    ShadowInfernape: Mareep(dropped out)
    suicidesal: ledyba(dropped out)
    L'Viaquez: Ekans 70:17
    Water PKMN Trainer: Hoothoot

REGISTRATIONS FOR THIS CHALLENGE ARE NOW CLOSED. TRAINERS HAVE UNTIL JAN.1 AT 9:00 A.M. PACIFIC TIME TO COMPLETE THE CHALLENGE.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    Hmm, I'll try Onix on my Gold. I'll get started now!

Edit: Can you take more than one of them, like having 6 Onix, or just one?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    You can get Dunsparce in dark cave (with a LOT of patience), and I'm sure you can get Jigglypuff on route 46 in the mornings on Gold and Silver. You can get Leyba on route 30 as well in the morning. Oh, and Unown of course.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • So has this challenge started yet? Or do we just go about our own pace. Coz I've already started if that's the case

Character : Mouldz
    Pokemon : Geodude (Rocky)
    Game : Crystal

Started the game, chose Totodile coz he can learn 4 of the HMs, did the usual start off stuff, go to Mr Pokemon's house, got the egg went back, battled rival, blah blah blah. Finally caught a Geodude and raised him on all the bugs on Route 30. Got him to level 7 before starting my way up towards Violet City.

Reached Violet City and Rocky was level 12, Rock Throw easily took care of Falkner and then I had the fun of attempting Sprout Tower. Even at level 14 Geodude struggled against all the Bellsprout there.

Cleared Sprout Tower, got the Togepi Egg from the Aide and saved the game.

Team:-
    Rocky (Geodude) - level 16
    -Tackle
    -Defense Curl
    -Rock Throw
    -Magnitude

Totodile - level 7
    -Scratch
    -Leer
    -Rage

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Own paced challenge, need to add that to the rules. I need to get back on track with the guide that I posted... I'm such a disgrace.

Anyways... Let's update!

- Chose Cyndaquil as a starter for cut.
    - Killed Rival, named him Kyle (as usual)
    - After getting Pokeballs, I caught a Poliwag! w00t
    - Raised Poliwag to level 20 before even touching Violet City(I'm heavy on the training, and Gastlys and Geodudes are extremely frail and give a lot more EXP than most pokes at the beginning)
    - Caught a Bellsprout, deposited Cyndaquil
    - Taught Bellsprout Flash after getting it from Sporut Tower.
    - Kicked Falkner's feathery butt with two doubleslaps.
    - Saved

Name: Costa
    Time: 4:00 0_0
    Pokemon:
    Poliwag @ Oran Berry
    Level 21
    Water Gun
    Double Slap
    Hypnosis
    Mud-Slap

Slaves:
    Bellsprout lvl 5: Cut, Flash

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • Character : Mouldz
    Pokemon : Geodude (Rocky)

Left Violet City and continued on down towards Azalea Town, Rocky destroyed alot of the trainers on the way down, continued through the Union Cave and then arrived in Azalea Town.

I took care of the Rockets, and then demolished Bugsy. Silver was somewhat of a pain thanks to his Bayleef, but it succumb to the awesome power that is Rocky. Continued through the Ilex Forest and made my way up through to Goldenrod City. Got another egg from the day care couple, took another gym challenge (which quite frankly wasn't that challenging) and I had my third badge, fought all the way up to Ecruteak City and then remembered my togepi had hatched so I made a beeline for Newbark Town. Saved in Newbark Town.

Team :-
    Rocky (Graveler) - level 35
    -Magnitude
    -Rollout
    -Defense Curl (2x rollout damage lol)
    -Self Destruct

Totodile - HM Slave (Cut)

Years
  • I'm planning on doing this challenge with an Exeggcute. I have one question though.

Are we allowed to trade from other files?

It's impossible to get Headbutt without having to trade for it since Headbutt can be gotten in the Ilex Forest. I plan on trading the Headbutt TM from my Gold file to my Silver file which I will be doing the challenge on.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
    Starter Pokemon : Geodude (Rocky)

Started today by trading my Graveler to another game and then back again to evolve him. Then with Golem I travelled back to Eruteak City, destroyed Silver at Burned Tower, released the dogs, and then battled and defeated Morty for my 4th badge.

I then took to the dance arena, and took out the Kimono Girls and obtained Surf. Then battled my way through to Olivine, catching a Noctowl on the way (for Fly later on). Climbed the lighthouse, then proceeded to Surf down toward Cianwood for the secretpotion and to obtain the 5th badge, saved when I arrived on the island.

Rocky (Golem) - level 42
    -Earthquake
    -Rollout
    -Defense Curl (2x rollout damage lol)
    -Self Destruct

Totodile (HM Slave) - Cut, Surf, Strength

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Ugh, I am getting owned by Diablo (lol) More lulz, I realized I accidentally called Berry an Oran Berry in my first update *shot*

Update!

After killing Falkner, I caught another Poliwag, trained him up, and then headed down to Union Cave.

Caught a Geodude for Rock Smash and Strength.

Made it to Azalea, kicked Team Rocket out of their little hole, and killed Bugsy and my rival.

Got Headbutt in Ilex Forest, taught it to one of my Poliwhirl. Headbutting around for training, and knocked down a lvl 10 Noctowl! Caught it for Flying purposes.

Got to Goldenrod, taught some moves, then saved.

Name: Costa
    Time: 8:40
    Pokemon:
    Poliwhirl @ lvl 28
    Berry

Rain Dance
    Hypnosis
    Water Gun
    Mud-Slap

Poliwhirl @ lvl 27
    No Item :(

Hypnosis
    Water Gun
    Headbutt
    Ice Punch

Slaves:
    Bellsprout lvl 5: Cut, Flash
    Geodude lvl 7: Rock SMash, Strength
    Noctowl lvl 10: Fly

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
    Starter Pokemon : Geodude (Rocky)

Wow, Cianwood is boring, I even get to battle Eusine but he wasn't really a challenge for Rocky. Neither was Chuck for that matter, and he had a type advantage (two when he used Poliwrath).

So yeah my fifth badge was obtained, got HM02 (Fly) and taught it to Noctowl, flew back to Olivine, healed Amphie, battled Jasmine and got my 6th badge. Rocky and I then travelled to Mohogany Town which is where our journey ended for today.

Rocky (Golem) - level 47
    -Earthquake
    -Rollout
    -Defense Curl
    -Headbutt

Totodile (HM Slave) - Cut, Surf, Strength
    Noctowl (HM Slave) - Fly

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Wow, this challenge is getting activity from someone besides me and diablo. *shot*

Moonlight has been signed on, and msdfabio is a maybe. Angelic Diablo is pwning me, will probly win at this rate(based on time guyz, not a race, if it were that, angelic diablo would pwn us all) but thats no excuse to keep trying, rite folks?

No update today.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2023
    Growlithe can be obtained in the route that has the Sudowoodo in it in Crystal. It should be eligible.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • Yeah the fact how far I am ahead just proves to me I need something to do outside of work. Seriously I seem to have way too much time on my hands, at least on the days I'm working it's only a couple of hours playtime, not a whole afternoon o_o;

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Growlithe can be obtained in the route that has the Sudowoodo in it in Crystal. It should be eligible.

oh yeah, forgot about the fire dawg. ur name is up there.

Update:

After getting a Gold Berry at the Bug-catching Contest. I challenged Whitney. Even without STAB Fighting, her team was easy. Crushed her. N wonder she cries after she loses 0_0

Made it to Ecruteak. Too bad I ahven't found any Water Stones yet... wonder is there are any in crystal?

Pokemon:
    Poliwhirl @ Lvl 30
    PRZcureberry

Mud-Slap
    Hypnosis
    Water Gun
    Ice Punch

Poliwhirl @ Lvl 30
    Gold Berry

Ice Punch
    Water Gun
    Double Slap