• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Foreign Languages Club

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Yay! Another Filipino! =D *ish happy*

Kamusta ka, phantom_of_death? Taga saan ka sa 'pinas?
    How are you, phantom_of_death? Which part of the Philippines are you from? (Tagalog)

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
  • Hello there !! :D

I wanna join. Can I ? xD

Country of Current Residence: Spain
    Country of Birth: Spain
    Language(s) You Speak Fluently: Born-Spanish, Little-French, Advanced-English
    Language(s) You're Currently Learning/Would Like to Learn: Japanese =D

I've seen that Aqua Dream and Seventh Petal want to learn Spanish :D I can help you with that stuff xD

Yo pienso que usted tenga que beber cafe (Spanish: I think you need to drink coffee.)

Well...I suggest you to say:

- Pienso que tiene(s) que beber café.

Notice that "Tiene(s). That's why in Spain we have two ways of saying You.

Tú tienes is a familliar form, used when you have deal with the people are you talking to. Used with family, friends, etc.

Usted tiene is a more formal form, used with respect. Used with people that you have no deal, or in some sittuations. Used with teachers, bosses, etc.

I dunno if you understand what are you saying ;)

Years
  • Hi, hab ja schon 'ne ganze Weile hier nicht gepostet^^
    Wie geht's?
    Spricht jemand von euch Deutsch?

Hi haven't been posting here for a while^^
    How are you?
    Are there any German speaking people here? (German)

Aqua Dream

That's not Ash!
    Years
  • Welcome. I'm starting to forget my Spanish because I stopped taking it this year so I could take Arabic. My teacher insisted on putting in the pronouns that you didn't use, but despite her being my teacher, I think I'm going to trust someone who's actually from Spain. It's possible that I was learning a different dialect spoken in Latin America, but I really don't know. :D

Technically, there are four ways to say "you" in Spanish (tu, vosotros, usted, ustedes), but there's two general ones. Hebrew and Arabic both have four words for "you," but the conditions for using them are a little different.

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    There are two ways of saying 'you' in French as well. There's vous, which is used to show respect, to people you don't know, and if you're talking to several people. It's more polite than tu.

Tu is used with friends and relatives... And I guess that's it ^_^

Years
  • There is also a thing like that in german.
    You="du", if you know the person very well, or they are around the same age
    "Sie" is more polite and used for older people, to show respect and people you don't know.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Lol ya, i was gunna say that for frwench, turns out Pikabloo beat me XD
    lol anyways, i still havnt checked up on Lithuanian, but since the NBA is back up on TV (Season ahs staretd again!) i prob wont care as much now.. :P

Aqua Dream

That's not Ash!
    Years
  • English is such a boring and unecessarily complex language. We only have one word for "you" which is no fun at all, and so many of our plurals are messed up. If the plural of mouse is mice, and the plural of louse is lice, then why is the plural of house not "hice?"

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Hallo (hello),
    May I join?

Country of Current Residence: Belgium
    Country of Birth: Belgium
    Language(s) You Speak Fluently: Dutch/Flemmish, English, French, Latin
    Language(s) You're Currently Learning/Would Like to Learn: German (learning at school), Italian, Japanese.

Jari

Kyogredude
    Years
  • Looks interesting.

Country of Current Residence: Holland
    Country of Birth: The same Holland
    Language(s) You Speak Fluently: Dutch of course and English (at least enough to communicate)
    Language(s) You're Currently Learning/Would Like to Learn: Finnish, Japanese, fluent German and maybe Spanish.

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Welcome to the club, both of you! =D
    English is such a boring and unecessarily complex language. We only have one word for "you" which is no fun at all, and so many of our plurals are messed up. If the plural of mouse is mice, and the plural of louse is lice, then why is the plural of house not "hice?"
    Heh, you're right there. It would be pretty interesting if that had happened. I can imagine saying, "How many hice are there in the city?"... Okay, that does sound pretty weird. Most probably because we're used to saying 'houses'.

Aqua Dream

That's not Ash!
    Years
  • Welcome to both of you, and Auron, I've updated your username in the memberlist.

As you said, it's only weird because you're used to something else. On that subject, however, if the plural of goose is geese, the plural of moose should be "meese"

Ullion

Years
  • lol, stop making fun fo the only language ic ans peak fluently in XD
    :'( Je suis lint XD
    I am retarded (french) :P
    lol
    i think i might finally start looking up french stuff, altho it might eb ahdr tio learn sicne i don't know where to get lessons from on how to connect words together with cinjuctions n stuff, adn all the rules needed n stuff, otherwise i'd be speaking in a language none of you would ever understand lol

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Le Français n'est pas la langue le plus difficile. Je déteste le français à l'école, mais je ne déteste pas le pays.
    J' ai trois heures de français par semaine.

French isn't the most difficult language. I don't like French in school, but I don't hate the country.
    I have three houres of French each week.

Really I don't like french.

Aqua Dream

That's not Ash!
    Years
  • I don't have anything against France, nor do I have anything against the French language, though I do agree that it's a challenging language to learn. There are some similarities to Spanish and Latin, since it's a Romance language, but that doesn't ease the learning process as much as I hoped it would.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I would like to join! ^,^

Country of Current Residence: United States
    Country of Birth: (If different from above)^
    Language(s) You Speak Fluently: English
    Language(s) You're Currently Learning/Would Like to Learn: Spanish, Japanese

Sí, hablo Japones tambien! ...pero pequena todo...
    Yes, I speak Japanese Too!...but only a little...

Last edited:

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Je déteste le français.
    I hate French.

As Mudkipblader said, it is an easy language to learn, but I just really, really, really, really... hate it. Mostly because of my teacher.

Ullion

Years
  • *Guys 2 posts above, ur supossed to translate what you say, even if you think everyone knows what you said.*
    Anyways, i STILL havn't started up on learning Lithuanian, but not even get to it for a loong time. Oh well.

Le francais est fantastique!
    French is fantastic! (French)
    Yay i did i translation whoooppp lol XD ez one tho.

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Tu penses le francais est fantastique? Pourquoi?
    You think French is fantastic? Why? (French)

O_o I think that said it all...

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
  • My teacher insisted on putting in the pronouns that you didn't use, but despite her being my teacher, I think I'm going to trust someone who's actually from Spain.

Technically, there are four ways to say "you" in Spanish (tu, vosotros, usted, ustedes)

Well, you can use the pronouns, but they are unnecesary. You can use them, not use, use them sometimes...

Yeah, four ways:

Tú (Tú = You, Tu = Your): It's singular.
    Usted: It's singular, respect.
    Vosotros: It's plural.
    Ustedes: It's plural, respect.

Back