• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen [FR] Pikachu Only Run ™

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
Years
  • Yes, i am doing a Pikachu only run on FireRed.

I am currently at Nugget bridge and Pikachu is at level 31. I struggled alot with Brock and ended up grinding my way to 17 before beating him. (Thanks to Tail-whip)

Current moveset: Thunderbolt, Thundershock, Megapunch, Megakick.

I Will be teaching it Iron Tail and Dig deffinately.

Pikachu does have quite low stats, even though he is the most well known Pokémon.

Has anyone else done this run on here? :D

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I'm at the Elite 4 for the second time but I evolved my Pikachu in to Raichu :\
    Also, for moves, don't forget Brick Break.

Last edited:

Lavarider

Master of all Technology
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2014
    You're nuts! I would never attempt something like that...but of course, I hate Pikachu.

Years
  • Wow.
    You have guts to the max...
    I think You shouldn't have give pikachu mega kick.
    Since it has an okay chance of hitting.
    Mega punch is an okay choice.
    I'd say Brick Break but it's not very strong.
    I say Dig in for Mega Kick.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Definitely need to upgrade your moveset. This is what I used:

- Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt

TWave first, and then Sub until your opponent is paralyzed so the Sub sticks. From there you have a very strong Fighting move or a STAB Electric move. Make sure you use Leftovers to recover the HP lost in paying for Subs.

To be honest, it was one of the stupidest runs I ever did, finding I had to level up more than normal just to give the rotten rat a fighting chance, but I did it and that is all that matters I guess.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Definitely need to upgrade your moveset. This is what I used:

- Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt
    Your moveset is the reason you had such a hard time. Thunderbolt is the only decent thing you have. You should have had Brick Break, Dig, and Iron Tail.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Your moveset is the reason you had such a hard time. Thunderbolt is the only decent thing you have. You should have had Brick Break, Dig, and Iron Tail.
    You obviously aren't familiar with movesets then. Focus Punch is 150 AP while Brick Break is only 75. If I am going to do a two move combo, I would much prefer using Sub for some kind of protection than the craptacular Dig. And Iron Tail? That is actually a completely wasted move since it is only Super Effective against Ice and Rock, which Brick Break is also Super Effective against. Personally I would prefer a 100% accurate 75 AP Fighting move over a 75% accurate 100 AP move any day.

I guess I should have been more clear when I stated I had problems with the rat. It wasn't because the moveset was bad, it was because I prefer a challenge so I keep my Pokemon below the levels of the upcoming gym and I don't use items during battle. Sub is great against an opponent that uses mathematical calculations to attack because there will ALWAYS be a good chance for the Sub to stick. Once up, a yellow rat with max Spd EVs can sweep pretty good, but fails miserably when you compare it to, say a Gengar or Dragonite, which are devastating behind a Sub. THAT is why I had a harder time with the rat.

WaterSplash

Common
    Years
  • Well, I traded my Bulbasaur for a Lv. 5 Pikachu early in the game, and it acted as my "starter" Pokemon. However, I also had a team around it :P. My team by the end of the game was:

Pikachu
    Lapras
    Golem
    Farfetch'd
    Primeape
    Snorlax

My Pikachu had an excellent Special Attack and Speed but a horrible Defense and Special Defense. Its movesets are: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Double Team, Slam.

Now my LG team is on Diamond :).

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    This is more what he meant, I think, shanec.
    Actually, Fighting and Electric do at least normal damage to all types, so you already have full coverage. Too many people put too much stock in "OMG it's SUPER EFFECTIVE". Personally, I would much rather paralyze my opponent and attack with a 150 AP Fighting move behind a Sub than run the risk that a two-turn Dig move wouldn't KO my opponent and they would have a free shot at the rat with its pathetic defenses. But again, that's just me.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    The moveset isn't very effective in the game, I'm not talking competitive.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
  • My moveset is fine now.

Pikachu is Lv. 53 and im about to beat Erika.

Moves: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Irontail, Brickbreak.

Quite an ownage little Pikachu with a 'Mild' Nature which means its defense has gone down the pot, but i don't really care for natures too much.

Also, Pikachu is a mouse and not a rat. My next run will most likely be a Wooper only run since i've already done Gardevoir and Mudkip and Jirachi would be just too easy... Long live Wooper!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    The moveset isn't very effective in the game, I'm not talking competitive.
    I'm not talking competitive either. But again, I play in-game differently than most of you because I at least want it to be challenging. Without the benefit of using items during battles or just leveling up Pikachu higher than its opponent, straight up attacking fails, especially with a frail Pokemon like Pikachu. But we are now simply arguing battling styles so I will leave it at that.

My moveset is fine now.

Pikachu is Lv. 53 and im about to beat Erika.

Moves: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Irontail, Brickbreak.

Quite an ownage little Pikachu with a 'Mild' Nature which means its defense has gone down the pot, but i don't really care for natures too much.

Also, Pikachu is a mouse and not a rat. My next run will most likely be a Wooper only run since i've already done Gardevoir and Mudkip and Jirachi would be just too easy... Long live Wooper!
    This is EXACTLY what I am referring to. A Lv53 Pikachu taking on Erika, whose highest level Pokemon is 29. ANY moveset with 4 attacking moves will be successful, even two of the same type like the one above. Now, try battling Erika with a Lv29 Pikachu without using items during battle and that same moveset and see how successful you are. That is where the benefit of TWave and Sub come in and make it a terrific IN-GAME moveset.

But again, we are still talking about different battling styles. To each their own.

Last edited:

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
  • My battle style usually consists of the most powerful moves i can obtain, while keeping different elements so i don't get a type disadvantage. I don't do competative battling.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Your only problem is you are limiting yourself with two Electric moves and a Steel and Fighting move. What you don't understand is that Steel is only "Super Effective" against Ice and Rock, which Fighting is also "Super Effective" against. So you are basically only using two moves - two high powered inaccurate moves and two accurate not so powerful moves. By diversifying your moveset you can actually make your battling much easier without having to level up so high to defeat your opponents.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I see what you mean, Shane. Using Thunder Wave + Substitute + Focus Punch would help you in the long run espeically with the most idiotic Pokemon ever made.

I checked on Serebii and I found that Pikachu could learn Return which could also be useful if you maxed its happiness.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
  • Yeah, i have TM27 on hold in my backpack if i need it later on. I also have a copy of Brickbreak and Dig too, depending on the opponent i battle.

Also, two electric attacks will be useful since electric is x1 against ghost and dragon. I will struggle with the elite four if i replace Brick Break with a move like Return.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, Electric is .5x against Dragon, and that is still no reason to have two Electric attacks. Just PP Up your Thundbolt and you will be fine. I promise. I have done it. Also a Focus Punch (150 AP) behind a Substitute does TWICE the damage than a Brick Break (75 AP) can. Thunder Wave also paralyzes your opponent, makes sure your rat is faster than its opponent, and can prevent its opponent from even attacking and breaking your Sub. Trust me, I wouldn't be trying to convince you to improve your moveset if it wasn't effective. Well, that and to make you a more skilled trainer, especially if you ever want to stop battling against the terribly weak AI and take on a real opponent.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
  • By Dragon i mean Dragonite and it is x1. I don't plan on teaching Focus Punch and Substitute because i have no clue where to get either of those TMs and its too much of a hastle.

Dragonite is Dragon/Flying so it is a x1 weakness, rather than a 0.5. This is because Lance only uses Pokemon that will be easy to KO. And i do not battle against 'Real' opponents, AI are enough for me.

Back