• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

From Region to Region

Would you leave your pokemon behind to start a new region?

• Yes, I wouldn't mind starting fresh.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No way, I could never leave them behind!

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • I'd take along my starter, leave the rest at the lab.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Other(explain).

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
  • Well across the boards I've seen people complain about how ash leaves all his pokemon at the lab(...except pikachu) when he travels to a new region. My question is if would you guys do the same or not. Would you bring all of your fully evolved/trained pokemon the the new region with you or start of fresh with the new pokemon from the region?

Would you? Why, why not?

What are your thoughts on Ash leaving his pokemon?

When would you re-unite with your previous pokemon?

Me personally, I'm not necessarily against starting fresh in a region, I would just miss all my old pokemon from time to time. Depending on how you look at it, some people would say using the same pokemon in another gen would be dull. Others would say journeying your partners in a new region would be all the swetter; having to face a whole another challenge together. If I were to temporarily leave my pokemon behind, I would recall them every now and then just to let them know I havn't forgotten them.

Discuss.

Deceit

Toxic.
    Years
  • I would prefer having a team made of pokemon mostly from the region I'm exploring, but I would also be OK in using a few pokemon that I have from previous regions, switching off every once in a while in my journey. I kind of wish Ash would take some of his other pokemon more often, as he usually never takes another pokemon besides his Pikachu, when he has some other cool pokemon at the lab.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I don't watch the anime - I just play the games - so what Ash does isn't pertinent to me.
    Exactly the thing I like most about a new region is new pokemon. If I was setting out for a new region, I'd pick one pokemon that I knew would be useful and dependable and leave the rest behind, specifically because I want to catch and use and train and evolve the new ones I'd find.

Years
  • That's a good point actually - obviously when I'm playing the games I have a different team in every region but I think if I was actually travelling between them the way Ash does I'd be too attached to my old team. So I'd take them with me and still catch native pokémon, maybe raise a couple up but never fully abandon my old team :)

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I would only take one or two from the old region as I travel to a new one as I think it would be cool to see people amazed by my "rare" pokemon and to introduce people to pokemon outside of their region.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I probably would too! What's the fun in just beating gyms with the same Pokemon instead of growing with new ones? ^_^ Plus by the end of your travels there you'd end up with more strong Pokemon, instead of just around 6.

Years
  • If I were to leave for another region, I think I'd leave my Pokemon behind and start fresh. While I know things from the games like levels might not really translate well to actual training, I'd still rather work my way up again than go in with overpowered Pokemon. The only exception might be my starter Pokemon, but I wouldn't use it for battling much in a new region (at first, anyway).

Years
  • I would be like Ash, keeping my starter and leaving my other Pokemon at the lab.

Trust me, my Oshawott would be just like his epic Pikachu!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'd probably keep my favourite (come on, everyone has a favourite! :p), and leave the rest of my team under the care of the scientists at the lab.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I would probably bring my existing team with me, but swap out some of those members for new Pokemon as I caught them. Ultimately, I would probably end up with my starter (and any other Pokemon I was particularly attached to) plus a mix of old and new Pokemon. Of course, unlike Ash, I would switch my Pokemon in and out quite frequently, to make sure I had a chance to use all of my old Pokemon as well as all of my new ones.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I don't watch the animé, but read on it on Bulbapedia. I never understood why Ash would leave a perfectly good team of powerful, fully trained and fully evolved Pokémon behind at any point if the goal is to conquer some league or whatever (not to mention: he does it time and time again, that kid never learns). Why not take them to the new region and make them even stronger?

Plus, even in the games we're told that Pokémon are attached to their trainers: if we imagine them as living intelligent creatures, leaving them behind after journeying with them for so long really seems cruel to me.

So, no, I'd build my team once and keep training them region after region.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • Would you? Why, why not?
    Yes, I would. Actually, I wouldn't call it leaving them behind. I'd leave them safely in the last region in a lab with a professor I trust. I would also alternate having 1-2 Pokemon from previous regions as I explored my current one. I wouldn't want to ignore them or anything.
    I do, however, abhor the idea of "gotta catch 'em all" because that turns Pokemon into objects of collecting, which they are not. They are living beings with thoughts and feelings and needs.

What are your thoughts on Ash leaving his pokemon?
    While I don't approve of Ash blatantly setting one of his Pokemon above others at all times, it doesn't bother me that he keeps his Pokemon in the lab. They are safe and taken care of, and he always goes back to visit them at some point. I do think he should pay more attention to all of his Pokemon as a whole, though.

When would you re-unite with your previous pokemon?
    Like I said, I'd altnernate which Pokemon of previous regions I would have in my team, so they all got attention.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2013
    I'd probably would start fresh each region to get a new feel & refresh everything. But i would recall my older pokemon frequently

poopydude

PKMN Master
    Years
  • I would keep my starter and 1 of my other Pokemon, the rest would go to the Lab. I would catch more Pokemon as I progressed from region to region, train them and rotate them out as I went along. Though as soon as I got to that region's league I would assemble my strongest 6

Back