• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Years
  • Added both of you to the participants list. Good luck.

Changed the layout of the first post slightly, otherwise the Hall of Fame would have needed too much space in the long run.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    UZ Update #1

Woot, after a few minutes of playing Silver I'm here now posting updates!
    ACCOMPLISHMENTS

• Chose Totodile as starter and named him GoToTheBox, luckily it fits :)!
    • Went to Mr. Pokemon's house, and got Pokedex
    • Wiped Silver's Pokemanz.
    • Captured a Pidgey, which is low-leveled.
    • Captured another Pidgey @Lv.4
    • Boxed the first Pidgey and GoToTheBox.
    • Saved in-front of the Cherrygrove Pokemon Center.

So this is my party as of now (I used HGSS sprites if I'm not mistaken):

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Pidgey/Pidgey
    Female
    Lv.4
    @nothing

In the box:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Pidgey
    Another Pidgey, except its lower leveled.
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Totodile
    Chose him as a starter, then removed his berry!

That's it pretty much, besides its just a few minutes of gameplay. :p
    EDIT: Does anyone know what type Mantine is?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    Update (did alot)
    Beat Bugsy and Rival
    Caught Paras and taught it Cut
    Went North of goldenrod and caught Growlithe
    Beat Whitney and got the Squirtbottle
    Got to Ecruteak and caught Magmar
    Beat Morty and went to Olivine
    Did the Ampharos Event and caught an HM slave Krabby (put paras in box)
    Beat Jasmine And Chuck
    Did the Lake of Rage Event
    Beat Price
    Saved in the Goldenrod Radio Tower

Team:

Level 34 Quilava:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Quick Attack
    Flame Wheel
    Swift
    Ember

Level 34 Magmar:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Ember
    Fire Punch
    Iron Tail
    Smog

Level 33 Growlithe
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Bite
    Roar
    Ember
    Leer

Hm Slaves: Krabby(Surf,Wirlpool,Strength,Cut)Togepi(Flash)

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    UZ Update #2

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

• Grinded Pidgey to Lv. 8, then went to Dark Cave
    • In the Dark Cave, caught a Lv. 3 Zubat.
    • Grinded Zubat to Lv. 6
    • Headed to Violet City.
    • Saved in-front of the Violet Pokemon Center.

Party Pokemon

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Pidgey/Pidgey
    Lv. 8 Female @nothing
    Moves: Tackle; Sand Attack

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Zubat/Zubat
    Lv. 6 Male @nothing
    Moves: I forgot...

Just a few minutes of gameplay, later I would be playing for HOURS.

Years
  • I already said i was planning on an Unown Team in another thread, and here it is: My 6 Unown Team, which is a Mono Psychic in some way.

Started a game in Crystal, chose Cyndaquil, my first 2 battles were serious defeats, first i lost to my rival, then to the Youngster with the Pidgey and the Rattata, maybe i should have trained Cyndaquil a bit...
    Sneaked past all other trainers, arrived at Violet and solved the Kabuto Puzzle. Caught 6 Unowns by soft resetting. The last HP type, Water, took me pretty much as long as all others together, i had a lot of bad luck there.

But here is my Unown-only-Team, i'm pretty sure it will be completely destroyed by Whitney, Morty or at least the Elite 4 =D

Didnt find the GSC sprites, so i've to use newer ones.

I / Unown Lv. 5
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

- Hidden Power Fighting

II / Unown Lv. 5
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

- Hidden Power Grass

III / Unown Lv. 5
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

- Hidden Power Rock

IV / Unown Lv. 5
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

- Hidden Power Ice

V / Unown Lv. 5
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

- Hidden Power Psychic

VI / Unown Lv. 5
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

- Hidden Power Water

Last edited:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • w00t mondays suck you really are up to a challenge !
    at the duospecies 3rd gen , i am just at Brawly in Emerald and you finished in FR....
    Man you really have skills for playing ^_^

Years
  • Well, at the douspecies challenge i was abusing that Speedincrease thing a lot (as i always do), so it wasn't that hard to finish. And both my Pokemon were pretty powerful, i didn't use a Pidgey and a Metapod.
    Maybe i do have skills for playing, but maybe i'm just having too much free time =D

Did Sprout Tower, beat Falkner, beat Rockets, got completely owned by Bugsy's Scyther, but the rival was pretty easy. Obtained Cut. Grinded to level 15. Finally Beat Bugsy using Rock Unown.
    Now where i advanced a bit in the game, there are already some clear tendences showing. As i expected, Psychic Unown has taken over a leading role, since it has a STAB bonus AND seems to have a good Base Power. Grass Unown seems to have a pretty high base Power too, it does quite a lot to Zubats, even though they 4x resist Grass.. Fighting Unown is probably the weakest, but maybe it's only seeming like Fighting Unown is weak because many Pokemon you meet early on in G/S/C resist Fighting.

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
    Years
  • good luck, mondays suck. actually I worked with basically the same thing on my psychic run up through whitney's gym (see my other posts on this page). overlevel your unown with the fighting-type hidden power before challenging her, and it really won't be that bad as long as you are faster than her miltank. also watch out for the trainer in her gym that uses two meowth, its "bite" will really hurt you.

but yeah, morty will be seriously tough. i had to go crazy on training the alakazam i caught before i could take him. will be much tougher without allowing yourself that kind of luxury.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    UZ Update #3

I thought my I'd play for hours, but I didn't :(

Accomplishments

• Grinded all of my Pokemon in Sprout Tower to Lv.11
    • Battled Falkner:

Spoiler:
    • Captured a HOPPIP
    • Grinded HOPPIP to Lv. 10
    • Saved

I'll put my party later, I kinda forgot.

Years
  • Thanks, luck, that's exactly what i'll need....

Well, i reached Goldenrod, gave my Unowns some stupid nicknames so i can distinguish them better. Replaced my Water Unown by another Water Unown, because my first Water Unown's Hidden Power had a horrible Base Power, i didnt notice that before because i only used it against Geodudes, Onixes and Sandshrews. Grinded to Level 22 and attempted Whitney.
    Started off with Hippie, the Grass Unown, it has a pretty high Base Power and i wanted to save my Fighting Unown for later. Clefairy was piece of Cake. A crit did even 2/3 to Miltank. Hippie died, and many others of my team died too, i hate Rollout. Hydrant the Water Unown did some damage, but not much. At the end, only Psychopath the Psychic Unown was left. I was lucky that Rollout missed and HP Psychic did enough damage to kill Miltank.
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Sudowoodo will be the next miniboss, it won't be that hard, since Grass is one of my better Unowns.

Team:
    :t201-d: Barbarian / Fighting Unown Lv. 22
    :t201-j: Hippie / Grass Unown Lv. 22 @ Miracle Seed
    :t201-b: Rockstar / Rock Unown Lv. 22
    :t201-g: Polaris / Ice Unown Lv. 22
    :t201-k: Psychopath / Psychic Unown Lv. 22
    :t201-h: Hydrant / Water Unown Lv. 22

UPDATE:
    Sudowoodo wasn't much of a problem, Hippie 2HKOd it and even the Eeveelution Girls were not that hard, not even Umbreon. Rival was easy anyway, since my team is ironically a lot better against well-balanced teams than against monotype teams.
    But that wasn't everything, i was even already having the opportunity to say something like:
    "Im so awesome, i beat Morty", in fact took me only 2 Attempts and that at level 26!
    On my first attempt i wanted to get rid of the Gastly and the first Haunter with Psychopath, but Psychopath got paralyzed and KOd by Gengar. Rest of the team was helpless against Shadow Ball, but it didn't OHKO my other Unowns that were at full HP.
    Second attempt: Started with Hydrant, which also managed to kill Gastly and Haunter, and also fainted against Gengar. Psychopath came in, survived, got a crit. Gengar had a minimum of HP left, Rockstar defeated it. The second Haunter killed Rockstar, killed Polaris and had maybe 1/3 or 1/4 left. I switched in Barbarian, hoping that that thing was stupid and uses Curse, which did of course not happen (but at least i felt better than if my last Pokemon would have been Barbarian). But Hippie, my last Unown, managed to defeat Haunter somehow, even though Haunter resists Grass.
    That battle was a lot easier than i would have ever dreamed of (ok, ok, i got extremely lucky with that crit, again, but...). Hopefully Karen will be similary easy, but i'm pretty sure that won't happen...
    Unowns are all level 26, Hippie is 27, it was already almost 27 when i challenged Morty.
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Caught a Poliwag and trained it to level 25, because Poliwhirl can learn Strength. Surfed to Cianwood.
    I attempted Chuck with my Unowns in the high 20s and lost. Went back to the ruins and catched a new Ice and Fighting Unown, the old ones were too weak. The new Barbarian is definetely better, about the new Polaris, i don't know, didn't use it a lot yet.

:t201-j: Hippie / Grass Unown Lv. 31 @ Miracle Seed
    :t201-b: Rockstar / Rock Unown Lv. 28
    :t201-k: Psychopath / Psychic Unown Lv. 30 @ Quick Claw
    :t201-h: Hydrant / Water Unown Lv. 29 @ Mystic Water
    :t201-e: Barbarian / Fighting Unown Lv. 15
    :t201-w: Polaris / Ice Unown Lv. 11
    :t061: Slave / Poliwhirl Lv. 25

Yes, i did unlock more Unown forms, for more diversity in the team
    But i failed to solve the Charizard puzzle, maybe i'll try again later

That thing i thought of to be a Charizard turned out to be Omanyte, no wonder i couldn't solve it. But i'm pretty sure some years ago i read that the puzzles show Kabuto, Aerodactyl, Ho-oh and Charizard...
    Caught two more Unowns afterwards, another Ice one (but the second one turned ot to be the best), and a new Rock Unown (that has the same form like the old one), old Rockstar was pretty decent, but the new one is slightly better. Did a lot of grinding. Beat Chuck, he was easy with the new, better Unowns. Probably i'm gonna find a new Psychopath too, since, with STAB, it only does slightly more than Hippie or Barbarian, the strongest ones, on a neutral hit. Beat Red Gyarados (After 2 Dragon Rages Rockstar had 1 HP left, whew...), beat Rockets (the Murkrow wasn't able to cause problems, either Rockstar or Polaris OHKOd it.) and beat Pryce, with ease, since he is probably the weakest gym leader ever. Saved.
    Both battles were not as epic as the ones above, so no screenshots.

Team:
    :t201-j: Hippie / Grass Unown Lv. 35 @ Miracle Seed
    :t201-k: Psychopath / Psychic Unown Lv. 34 @ Quick Claw
    :t201-h: Hydrant / Water Unown Lv. 32 @ Mystic Water
    :t201-e: Barbarian / Fighting Unown Lv. 34
    :t201-w: Polaris / Ice Unown Lv. 32
    :t201-b: Rockstar / Rock Unown Lv. 33
    :t061: Slave / Poliwhirl Lv. 25

OMG Jasmine was so easy, Barbarian OHKOd both Magnemites, took of 2/3 of Steelix HP (one normal hit, one crit), died, Hydrant came in and destroyed the weakened Steelix. ...and with balanced teams i was always having huge problems with her, why?
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Still no one? Well, i beat my rival in Goldenrod now. I have already been at Blackthorne and defeating trainers on that annoying Route south of Blackthorne. Caught a new Psychic Unown and it's incredibly powerful, the base power must be around 70, otherwise it wouldn't have been able to OHKO a level 7 Bellsprout at Level 5, at least if my calculations are right. New Psychopath had no problems with the Koffing guy, but my rival's Golbat and Haunter completely destroyed my Unown team, at the end only Rockstar was left, survived with low HP and it defeated Haunter. I'm already asking myself how long i will have to grind to defeat that guy with the Houndoom...
    UPDATE: The Houndoom needed some attempts to be beaten, but with Quick Claw on Barbarian and Hydrant surviving one attack, i was able to defeat it.
    Before entering Clair's gym, i first grinded to level 40. Beat the underlingas quite easily, mostly using Polaris and Hippie, but i needed 3 attempts for Clair herself. Polaris was able to take of the first two Dragonairs, against the third one, i sent out either Rockstar or Barbarian, since the other two are resisted and i needed Psychopath against Kingdra since it's my best damage dealer. At the end of both of the first two attempts, Kingdra had just maybe 5% HP left, in the 3rd attempt, i had maybe one attack less missing, or a Hyper Beam from Kingdra missing, i'm not really sure about that, but i won. Next i'll have to decide who i'm going to deposit for they way to the Indigo Plateau, since i'll need my Slave to get there. Probably i'll deposit Hydrant for that time, since there are a lot of water trainers on the way, and it doesnt cover any of my rivals Pokemon (argh, i'll meet that annoying Golbat and Haunter AGAIN....)
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Team:
    :t201-j: Hippie / Grass Unown Lv. 40 @ Miracle Seed
    :t201-h: Hydrant / Water Unown Lv. 40 @ Mystic Water
    :t201-e: Barbarian / Fighting Unown Lv. 40 @ Blackbelt
    :t201-w: Polaris / Ice Unown Lv. 40 @ NeverMeltIce
    :t201-b: Rockstar / Rock Unown Lv. 40 @ Hard Stone
    :t201-g: Psychopath / Psychic Unown Lv. 40 @ Quick Claw
    (:t061: Slave / Poliwhirl Lv. 25)

I think my team can stay like this now, all my current Unowns have Powers between quite decent and extremely good

And yes, i know that the Blackbelt and Hard Stone items are not 'legit' and i changed to date to obtain them, but i wasn't in the mood of waiting to get them

Last edited:

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
  • I heard that I needed to post here and not in the other monotype topic, so here it is:

I would like to join the flying challenge on crystal

Edit:

first update:

Started on crystal
    Chose a boy
    Named it Daan
    Rival name: Mike

~ Sarted with totodile
    ~ cathed hoothoot lvl. 3 (stupid clock, I want a pidgey)
    ~ deposited totodile
    ~ cathed zubat
    ~ continued journey like normal while training pokemon
    ~ Beat falker

Team ATM:

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

name: hoothoot
    lvl: 11
    Moveset:
    Tackle
    Growl
    Foresight
    Peck

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

name: zubat
    lvl: 10
    Moveset:
    Leech Life
    Supersonic

Pretty bad team off course, especially the zubat which is pretty much useless at this point, however, it is a start.

also, this is my first challenge so I hope you guys can help me out if I'm doing anything wrong.

nothing special yet ofcourse but update 2 will be at the end of today.

Years
  • I can't see anything you're doing wrong, but i recommend you to use a Hoppip (in case you didn't already plan to use one, but were not able yet because it was night), it might be a pain to train, but Leech Seed + Sleep Power does REALLY help in important battles, for example against the Steelix.

_____

I'm planning to replace my Water Unown by something else, it doesn't cover anything others don't cover.

Normal: Fighting
    Fire: Rock, Water
    Water: Grass
    Electric: -
    Grass: Ice
    Ice: Rock, Fighting
    Fighting: Psychic
    Poison: Psychic
    Ground: Water, Grass, Ice
    Flying: Rock, Ice
    Psychic: -
    Bug: Rock
    Rock: Water, Grass, Fighting
    Ghost: -
    Dragon: Ice
    Dark: Fighting
    Steel: Fighting

An Unown with Hidden Power Ghost would be the one that covers most of the types i can't hit super-effective yet, but that thing would be a real pain to train since Normal types are so common....
    And Water would help agaist the Houndoom, but apart from that it doesn't anything...

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    UZ Update #4

After 2 days of not updating, here I am now! Still can't find the G/S/C sprites though.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

• Got the Togepi egg.
    • Went to Union Cave and taught Pidgey the move Mud Slap.
    • Outside of the cave, got beaten by the Geodude + Machop hiker.
    • Gave revenge to the hiker who beat me!
    • Arrived in Azalea Town.
    • Defeated the Rocket thugs in Slowpoke Well.
    • Grinded everyone in the team to Lv. 15.
    • Decided to take the gym, but I changed my mind after battling the twins.
    • Went back to the first cities to get berries (saving it for Miltank)
    • The Togepi egg hatched!
    • Save in-front of the Cherrygrove City Mart.
    PARTY POKEMON

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

PIDGEY/PIDGEY Lv. 15
    @Bitter Berry
    Moveset:
    Tackle, Quick Attack, Gust, Mud Slap

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

ZUBAT/ZUBAT Lv. 15
    @nothing
    Moveset:
    Leech Life, Supersonic, Bite

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

HOPPIP/HOPPIP Lv. 15
    @nothing
    Moveset:
    Poisonpowder, Synthesis, Stun Spore, Tackle

G/S/C Monotype Challenge

TOGEPI/TOGEPI Lv. 5
    @nothing
    Moveset:
    Growl, Charm

Well, that's it!

Last edited:

FireRed Supergiant

Years
  • I want to start a Water-type challenge, but I have a question about evolution rules.

I want to have a Feraligatr that knows Crunch. I have a male Pupitar which knows the move in another game, ready to go. Can I trade it in for breeding purposes when I get to Goldenrod? I obviously won't be using it for battles.

Years
  • Sure your Feraligatr won't be a bit overpowered when you already get Crunch at Goldenrod?
    I don't mind if you trade that Pupitar, so have fun with your Crunchaligatr

UPDATE: I finally beat the Elite 4! And to show the whole world how awesome even Unowns can be, i recorded the battles and uploaded them =D
    Grinded to level 55 before i entered Will's room.
    My new Ghost Unown, Spiritus, destroyed his team.
    Koga was harder, Forretress just didn't want to die, but against Crobat i was lucky and didn't miss too much
    Bruno was easy too, only Machamp survived one hit from Psychopath.
    Even Karen wasn't too hard, Rockstar outspeeded Houndoom and survived a Crunch.
    Polaris KOd Lance's first 2 Dragonites, Rockstar did the rest.

Hall of Fame Team:

:t201-j: Hippie / Grass Unown Lv. 55 @ Miracle Seed
    :t201-e: Barbarian / Fighting Unown Lv. 55 @ Blackbelt
    :t201-w: Polaris / Ice Unown Lv. 55 @ NeverMeltIce
    :t201-b: Rockstar / Rock Unown Lv. 56 @ Hard Stone
    :t201-g: Psychopath / Psychic Unown Lv. 56 @ Quick Claw
    :t201-b: Spiritus / Ghost Unown Lv. 56 @ Spell Tag

Last edited:

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
  • Update 2:

~ Catched level 3 pidgey.
    ~ Got togepi egg.
    ~ Walked trough union cave.
    ~ Trained pokemon to levels which they are ATM.
    ~ Talked to kurt and defeated Team Rocket in Slowpoke well.
    ~ Togepi egg hatched.
    ~ Defeated bugsy.

Team ATM:

Pidgeotto:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Level: 20
    Moveset:
    Tackle
    Sand-Attack
    Gust
    Quick Attack

Zubat:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Level: 15
    Moveset:
    Leech Life
    Supersonic
    Bite

Hoothoot:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Level: 12
    Moveset:
    Tackle
    Growl
    Foresight
    Peck

Only Pidgeotto will surely be in the end team the rest I don't know yet.

Still going on so next update maybe today or tomorrow (I'd like to update after gyms) Although if no-one posts here I'll be sure to edit this post;).

FireRed Supergiant

Years
  • Sure your Feraligatr won't be a bit overpowered when you already get Crunch at Goldenrod?
    I don't mind if you trade that Pupitar, so have fun with your Crunchaligatr

eh, good point. i'll breed it, but hold off on using crunch until after beating morty. anyway, i've started already.

Named character "Vishnu"
    Went to Elm's lab, saved
    Reset until Totodile was female
    Retrieved Mystery Egg
    Defeated Rival
    Named Rival "Jesus"
    Caught a Poliwag, nicknamed it "Sheik"
    Leveled up Sheik to know Water Gun (L13)
    Defeated Gym #1: Falkner
    Received Egg from Elm's assistant

Current Team
    --Sheik: L14 Poliwag (Water Gun, Hypnosis, Bubble)
    --L10 Totodile (Scratch, Leer, Rage)

Saving Sprout Tower for later. Since I'm breeding another Totodile later on, most of the playing time will go to Sheik.

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
  • Update 3 & 4:

~ Catched HM slave Oddish
    ~ Catched HM slave Poliwrath
    ~ Cathced Spearow lvl 8.
    ~ Went through forest to Goldenrod.
    ~ Trained against trainers in national park (and between goldenrod and park)
    ~ Defeated whitney (after many tries, Stupid roll-out was super very effective)
    ~ Brought Togepi to barber ;)
    ~ Collected squirtbottle and went past sudowodoo
    ~ Went to burned tower defeated mike and met sicuine.
    ~ Spearow evolved in fearow
    ~ zubat evolved into golbat
    ~ Defeated Morty.

Team ATM:

Pidgeotto:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Level: 26
    Moveset:
    Tackle
    Sand-Attack
    Gust
    Quick Attack

Fearow:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Level: 21
    Moveset:
    Peck
    Growl
    Leer
    Fury-Attack

Golbat:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Level: 22
    Moveset:
    Leech Life
    Supersonic
    Bite
    Confuse Ray

Hoothoot:
    G/S/C Monotype Challenge

Level: 19
    Moveset:
    Tackle
    Hypnosis
    Foresight
    Peck

Years
  • I just beat Blue. Everything in Kanto was pretty easy, except for Arcanine, which gave me some trouble, but somehow i managed to beat it. Talked to Oak, so i can access Mt. Silver now, but i'm pretty sure i'll need A LOT of grinding before, Snorlax is just too powerful...

Team:
    :t201-j: Hippie / Grass Unown Lv. 61 @ Miracle Seed
    :t201-e: Barbarian / Fighting Unown Lv. 58 @ Blackbelt
    :t201-w: Polaris / Ice Unown Lv. 60 @ NeverMeltIce
    :t201-b: Rockstar / Rock Unown Lv. 61 @ Hard Stone
    :t201-g: Psychopath / Psychic Unown Lv. 60 @ Leftovers
    :t201-b: Spiritus / Ghost Unown Lv. 60 @ Spell Tag
    (:t155: Cyndaquil Lv. 6)
    Lol@ Leftovers, probably i should better get back the Quick Claw...
    And Barbarian isn't underleveled because it's weak (in fact it's one of the strongest Unowns), it's just that Psychic, Flying and especially Poison types are EVERYWHERE in Kanto...

Back