• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Game-Breaking News!

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
Years
  • This news is so Game-Breaking, it gets it's own thread.

On the 3rd floor of the Pokémon Garden, on the Yahoo! Kids official Pokémon Diamond and Pearl website, is the GameFreak development room. In the room are virtual representations of the Battle Director Shigeki Morimoto (森本茂樹), Head of Development Jun'ichi Masuda (増田順一) and Art Director Ken Sugimori (杉森 健).

According to Jun'ichi Masuda, Shin'ō will have a large underground world.

Ken Sugimori ponders evolving Roselia, and also reveals a silhouette of a new Pokémon, revealed in full in the trailer for Diamond and Pearl, thought to be related to Electabuzz.

Shigeki Morimoto reveals that Thunder Punch will be a physical attack, while Hyper Beam becomes a special attack — physical and special are to be set by attack, rather than by type as in previous games. He states that the battle system will be changed "dramatically".

One unnamed female staff member mentions a new Pokémon she saw on Sugimori's screen — the silhouette Sugimori reveals. She also suggests that the three starter types will be Fighting, Psychic and Dark. If this were true, it is likely that the type affinity chart will be changed in order to balance the three.

Bulbanews has confirmed the attribution of the statements above. Please note that Pokémon Diamond and Pearl is still in development and the above-mentioned changes may not make it into the final version.

From Bulbapedia news. Pokeani, a VERY reliable site also has this story, It came from Pokemon Garden on the 3rd floor in the virtual Gamefreak building.

This news is incredible! I love the stat change thing. It makes more sense.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • The type affinity chart will be changed? I don't like the sound of that...I was just beginning to memorize some of it XD

The attack thing makes more sense now. I used to always think Thunder Punch and Punches should be physical while Hyper Beam seemed special.

Oh, a Fighting starter RULES ^-^

someone1939

Just Plain Awesome
    Years
  • Wow, I like those changes! Except I think the starters should still be fire, water, and grass... but oh well! An underground world! And I always thought that Hyper Beam should be special and punches and stuff should be physical. The only thing is that these new things could completely throw off the established battle system... although that wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing because then the crazy people that have perfect strategies to own people online will have to start from scratch! Excellent.

someone1939

Just Plain Awesome
    Years
  • Wow, I like those changes! Except I think the starters should still be fire, water, and grass... but oh well! An underground world! And I always thought that Hyper Beam should be special and punches and stuff should be physical. The only thing is that these new things could completely throw off the established battle system... although that wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing because then the crazy people that have perfect strategies to own people online will have to start from scratch! Excellent.

Years
  • Wow... So... Original! I know so man people that say pokemon has been getting boring... And it has been! The new starters are going to be insane X_x;... I don't know whether I should feel shocked and appaulled, or really excited. The change in attacks is a good one, I think.

Dorapion is a poison/dark pokemon... Maybe it's an evo of the dark starter? If the starters don't change, that is.

Either way, the changes they've made so far are cool. And an underground world! That means the map of Shinou that they've revealed could quite possibly just be half of what we'll be playing!! Think about how much longer it'll make the game... Assuming that it'll play a big role. My guess is that the underground world will be like Kanto was to g/s/c.

Years
  • Yay! Underground world! Man I hated Roselia.... It gave me nightmares, LOL. Anyway, I have always thought that Hyper Beam should be special and punches should be phyisical.

AnDrOmAn

just some dude
    Years
  • Ok, i gotta say i'm a little bit worried bout fight/dark/grass here.
    That said competitive battling is never gonna be the same ever again. Hoorah for trickzam and other pokeys.

♥Nova♥

Ignore the Funny Farm
    Years
  • Wow... 0.0 No more Grass/Fire/Water? That's hard to beleive, but then again I love the idea of a Psychic Starter! ^^ But seriously, it isn't 100% Confirmed yet if they're really getting rid of the the classic Grass/Fire/Water. To Quote Serebii...

Serebii said:
    None of this is completely set in stone:

::The Starting Pokemon may be Fighting/Dark/Psychic.

Aha! They MAY be. XD So it's not final yet, but it's deffinately a possibility.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • Another world underneath Shino?! Awesome!! Looks like they really are adding more length to the story!

I'm surprised to see the starter types change, but it will be refreshing to see what they will come up with!

I'm glad about the phys/spec thing. Many attacks didn't belong where they were set.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Omg, do you know what this means? Certain good Pokemon will now suck, certain bad Pokemon will become better, and certain great Pokemon will be practically over powered!

Sceptile and Alakazam will suck if they change moves like Thunderpunch and Leaf Blade to run off of the physical Attack stat.

Sneasel/Weavile will be much better if Dark attacks like Crunch are physical moves. Fighting pokemon like Machamp will also be awesome with physical Fire Punch and Ice Punch.

Can you imagine how much stronger Salamence and Tyranitar will be if Crunch and Dragon Claw are now running off their outstanding 135 base Attack? And Gengar, with Shadow Ball as a special move, will rock things as well.

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Years
  • I'll admit I'm skeptical about the idea of a new starter triangle, especially since it's not confirmed to be true, and I'll believe it for certain when I see the starters - however, I'd be glad to have Nintendo prove me wrong and actually use it. :) I'm not as excited about the rest of the news (except for perhaps the news of the underground world), but I will say that the more I hear of these games, the more I want to play them...

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • Actually, that revealed pokemon is said to not necessarily be an evolution of elekiid/electabuzz. Here's a quote:

Ken Sugimori ponders evolving Roselia, and also reveals a silhouette of a new Pokémon, revealed in full in the trailer for Diamond and Pearl, thought to be related to Electabuzz.
    -PokeFusion

Also, Crunch and Bite are already physical attacks. All Dark type moves are based on the Attack stat. However, I completely understand what you're saying. My first thought was how bad of pokemon the favored Gyarados will be. I never liked it anyway... This change in the battle system definitely shows how much effort and cartridge space that the developers are willing to put into this one. You gotta imagine it takes more space to record the variance of attacks and their effects. I hope by then I'll have found a job and enough money to purchase a DS and both versions.

Heh, poor Slaking.

Years
  • I am not sure about the starters. Ye, sure they will be a change but i don't know. It won't be the same then. Ye, i would go for the Psy or Dark. But i don't know. And to do with the Attack and the Sp. Attack. I don't know, i was getting to know them as well. Lol, i know pritty much all of them. But, i juess things like thunder punch to be attack make a little more sence! Because it is more physical. But i do agree with hyper beam becoming a Sp. attack move because it really is. It is not physical at all like it is "suppost" to be. I thing the changed will be very intresting to see.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Normal attacks based on the Special stat? This is going to be...............

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I wonder how they're going to pull off that starter set with Dark's immunity to Psychic...unless they lose that immunity!!.....................Well, I can dream.

Samson: No, Dark is based on the SPECIAL ATK stat. Steel is the one of the two newest types that they stuck with physicak ATK.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • oooooh, I really like the idea of the underground world! I also love the idea of new starter types, the whole Grass/water/fire thing was getting boring. The new attack system makes much more sense as well, i'm looking forward to it.

Back