• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Making Competition, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
  • For those of you interested in participating, I am organizing a friendly game making competition. The topic is currently undecided. If you have any good ideas for the topic, post them here! Here's the information:

TOPIC:
    There are two, and you must chose one topic to make a game on. These ideas are pending, please provide feedback:

Topic 1:

) Professor ___________ needs to see you in his/her lab when the game starts.. Something is very wrong.. You go and see him/her and he/she tells you that _____________ and it's up to you to ____________.

2) Make a 3D maze game. Please include a image file in .jpg, .bmp, .png, or .gif of a layout of your maze so we can sucessfully complete it.

Deadline
    January 10th 2005

Judges:
    • DarkMage31
    • Kairi
    • Satoshi-Kun
    • Toothache
    • Frostweaver
    Prizes
    • 1st- pending
    • 2nd- pending
    • 3rd- pending
    • All winners- the satisfaction of knowing you rock ;)
    Requirments:
    1. Games must follow the given topic (pending)
    2. Games must not include RTP
    3. Games must abide by all of PC's rules (no swearing, etc)
    4. Games must include all necessary files to run. Any errors result in disqualification
    5. The judges are the final mediators in any dispute/argument
    6. The judges' decision is final, there will be no disputing or arguing
    7. Any active member of PC is eligable except for the judges
    8. You must create a new project solely for the competition
    I don't think I forgot anything there...

Grading Criteria:
    Graphics: 10 pts
    Graphics are original and stand out. RTP is acceptable if used well, but not recommended. Maps are built well. Animations are fluid and fit their purpose.

Audio: 10 pts
    The music is well composed. It doesn't need to be original, but extra points will be awarded for music composed by the game author. Music has a wide variety and fits/contributes greatly to the mood. Sound effects are used properly, but not in excess or extreme moderation

Story: 10 pts
    The story is unique and original. It is creatively executed and told well through gameplay and cutscenes. Flows well.

Originality: 10 pts
    You do a lot of custom work with charsets, chipsets, pictures, CBS's, and CMS's.

Gameplay: 10 pts
    Gameplay is exciting, original, and intuitive. Everything flows well, and you have many interesting features

Fun Factor: 10 pts
    Some games can be well done, but just soooo boring. What's a game if it's not fun?

Total: */50

You will then recieve additional comments, like Pros and Cons.

All the judges scores will be averaged for a final sum. Each game will then be ranked based on final average score.

Good luck!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I would very much like the topic to be Pokemon :) It's been a while since I made a good old pokemon game..
    A few questions for ya... How long do we have to make our games? (Is there a deadline?)
    Does it have to be a complete game or is a demo-type thing acceptable..? If it is.. should we have a limit like you have to create at least 3 towns..?
    Well that's all :sleeping:zzzz

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • Eventually there will be a deadline, but seeing as there's not judges pannel yet, or a topic, everything's up in the air. Demos should be acceptable, but they need to be playable. It can't be just a trailer.

I guess a good first topic would be pkmn, but we should consider other things as well.

Years
  • I don't think there's any limit to how long the game should be (as long as it isn't 5 minutes.. must be more, like atleast half an hour), and yes, we could start with a Pokemon topic, and then move out to other types, if that's what you mean.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2014
    Hmm, I'm interested in this... but first I would like to see the topic when its up.

Years
  • I think we should have a few topics.. Including pokemon so that more people will be able to make their favourite games..
    Half an hour for every single contestant? This competition is going to take a while isn't it?

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    This seems quite interesting. But I think if I get the chance, I'll be a judge rather
    than a competitor. Upcoming tests aren't going to give me much time. I wonder
    what entries will come out? *thinking*

Years
  • I like that idea DM.. That gives contestants a chance to do something else if they dont like or can't do pokemon games.
    I have another idea, do you think we should get a judge from the emulation and patches forum? Or the Pokemon Game Boy Games forum? They would make really good judges because they know all about the original pokemon games. Meh it's just an idea..
    EDIT: Should there be prizes for each topic? Because an overall winner would be hard for 2 different topics..

RM2K3kid

Insane..
    Years
  • *Laugh's Evilly* ha ha haaa war has begun! lol a competition cool I?m going to give it a go. Give me a topic and I?ll get straight into it! In my spare time of course :D !

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • I'm not sure if I want to sit back and judge this thing, or actually have a go and see how (badly) I do. Besides, I want to prove I do actually know a bit about RM2k, even if Krazy Meerkat seems to think I don't :-p

rebellee1187

Just another programmer..
    Years
  • I want the topic to be Pokemon, but since not everyone would like that, I think it would be good for there to be two different contests. One for Pokemon games, and one for all other games.

This seems like as good a time as any to introduce Pokemon: Ultimate to the world...

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • I think there'll be two topics, and you chose one. Then there can be a Division winner and an All Around winner so more people feel special :)

And there should be a rule that says you must make a new game for the competition. For a potential future "Moderator's Choice Award" however, existing projects are game ;)

One and a half judges added ;)

I added some ideas for the Pokemon topic. What do you think?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2014
    I'm going to wait for the second topic cause I don't want to start programming another Pokemon game.

Years
  • DM I had my own idea for a storyline... Can we have another topic option for people who wish to execute their own plot? I was thinking I could go with the "-Make a short pokemon game will all original graphics (no rips!)" one but I am using rips along with my own graphics.. an extra option would provide a wider selection of contestants..

RM2K3kid

Insane..
    Years
  • DM they are some great Ideas! Hmm... Which one should I try?... The Recreate Ruby idea would be good! But I would like to try one of the others! I'll choose which ever one suits me!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • One new celebrity... erm... staff judge added! Welcome to the pannel frostweaver!

I also added some topic 2 ideas.

DM I had my own idea for a storyline... Can we have another topic option for people who wish to execute their own plot?
    This sounds fair. If we iron out all the kinks now, competitions will be smoother in the future. It would be easiest for the judges if all the games follow a uniform pattern. If one or two are unque though, grading would become unequal, and thus unfair. However, if there's a specific storyline that you think will be good, you should tell us :)

Years
  • I understand what you mean...
    Alright I can't actually tell you my storyline but I think we should follow the template:
    Professor ___________ needs to see you in his/her lab when the game starts.. Something is very wrong.. You go and see him/her and he/she tells you that _____________ and it's up to you to go and deliver a message to all the other professors in the area..
    And everyone in the competition (who chose this option) can build their own storyline on that..
    DarkMage31 said:
    It would be easiest for the judges if all the games follow a uniform pattern. If one or two are unque though, grading would become unequal, and thus unfair.
    I thought that was the whole point of the competition.. To create a unique game and then for them all to be judged and the best one wins.. That's why I entered this competition.. But fair enough, I don't make the rules.
    If there is no way around this then I will just watch the competition and keep making my own game in a different thread :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back