• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Geek vs. Nerd

Years
  • Geek vs. Nerd

I'm sure we've all seen this famous infographic.

Do you see yourself more of geek or a nerd (or not much at all)? Where do you land on the geek-nerd continuum? Bonus points if you can place yourself on a co-ordinate of two numbers :P

Years
  • Plotted on the graph are various things that can be associated with being nerdy or geeky. On the horizontal axis is the the value of now nerdy something is, on the vertical how geeky. Take #gamer, it's up in the top-right corner. Draw a line straight down to the horizontal axis and you'll see it's at a 10 for nerdy, draw a line straight left and you'll see it's about a 9 for geeky. The distinction between geeky and nerdy is fuzzy yet intuitive. No, this isn't very scientific. You can see "geeky" things tend to have a cultural scope, while "nerdy" things have a more academic scope.

Anyways, putting yourself on the graph's just for bonus points. If you can't bother with the graphic, you can still just answer the question >>

Years
  • I've never even come across such a chart...LOL, I love how pretentious is a characteristic of geeky, according to whoever made this XD Well by the looks of it, I guess I'm more nerdy than geek, which is what I've always thought :P

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Hmm according to this chart I am both nerdy and geeky, I have pretty smart, like reading and doing school but I also like technology and keeping up with it and kinda becoming obsessed. So yeah I'm a Nerky.

Years
  • I'd put myself a 7 on the nerdy scale, and a 3 on the geeky scale. Not really into fandoms or culture and things like that.

Years
  • For one, what's the difference between physics and #physics? (well, other than the fact that the other one has that stupid hashtag)

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • For one, what's the difference between physics and #physics? (well, other than the fact that the other one has that stupid hashtag)

Twitter physicists are considerably more geeky and more nerdy too duh. (The graph is a bit... odd, to say the least, haha.)

I wouldn't say I particularly identify with the labels of GEEK and NERD even though they both prolly fit me to a degree, hoho. I cringe when I see people wearing shirts that read GEEK and NERD on them; I just ask them in my head "why are you shamelessly branding yourself like that?"

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Boobies are on the left so I'm going to have to say I'm a geek.

You beat me to the video, haha.

Anyway, it'd be extremely hard for me to place myself somewhere on the scale. I definitely share characteristics of both geeks and nerds. I'm very into culture and technology, not so much into comics and fandoms. I'm also very into science, reading and I'm kind of a gamer. I guess I'm more inclined to the nerdy part. I do not fall into the cellist, Star Trek, etc. points, though.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I'm a mix of geek/nerd. I also play sports and stuff so I could say I play sports with jocks, but I hang out with my geeks and nerds. *takes over the world* My friends aren't really geeky or nerdy, but you get my point.

Years
  • Actually now that I look closely at the graph and the descriptions, I'd say I'm about a 6 for geeky and probably a 7 or 8 on the nerdy scale :c Thought it was supposed to be one or the other, but I'm a mixture of both it seems...

Years
  • I know for a fact that I'm one of the two (either geek or nerd), but I've never been able to figure out where on the spectrum I fall.. I like a lot of the things described on both sides of that spectrum, so it's just too difficult for me to figure out and differentiate between if I'm a geek or a nerd XD

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • A mix of both but I think nerdy is winning out for me. I've never really seen myself as either of those two though. I'm on a different plane I think.

Zet

Years
  • I don't understand why Autistic is greater than Autism. I also don't understand why goths is nerdy. If anyone knows the answers to these problems of mine, please tell me.

Back