• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gen6 appreciating "legendaries"?

Years
  • I felt like the word "legendary" was becoming less meaningful after the release of the 5th gen. As much as I liked the Forces of Nature and the Swords of Justice, I felt like they were releasing too many trios and needed to start limiting themselves. I'm hoping that gen7 will bring us a new trio, two new "cover legendaries" the 3rd "cover legendary" the single tiny legendary that usually isn't catchable, only distributed through events. I also didn't like how they added Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect after Black and White were released. But, this is of course just my opinion and want to hear what you guys think. Do they have too many legendaries, not enough, or just the right amount? Let me know :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I felt like the word "legendary" was becoming less meaningful after the release of the 5th gen. As much as I liked the Forces of Nature and the Swords of Justice, I felt like they were releasing too many trios and needed to start limiting themselves. I'm hoping that gen7 will bring us a new trio, two new "cover legendaries" the 3rd "cover legendary" the single tiny legendary that usually isn't catchable, only distributed through events. I also didn't like how they added Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect after Black and White were released. But, this is of course just my opinion and want to hear what you guys think. Do they have too many legendaries, not enough, or just the right amount? Let me know :)

they only added 3 legendaries this generation, and technically only 1 after that (Diancie as the other two haven't been announced yet) an dKeldeo, Meloetta and Genesect weren't added "after" black and white, they were all obtainable if you had black and white via event and they were all in the Unova dexes of those respective games, so they weren't "added" they were already in the coding of the games upon release. Also, Nintendo has ALWAYS released event pokemon, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi & Deoxys, Darkrai & Shaymin & Arceus, Keldeo & Meloetta & Genesect, and now Diancie. Every generation nintendo always does this, it's no different now.

Years
  • they only added 3 legendaries this generation, and technically only 1 after that (Diancie as the other two haven't been announced yet) an dKeldeo, Meloetta and Genesect weren't added "after" black and white, they were all obtainable if you had black and white via event and they were all in the Unova dexes of those respective games, so they weren't "added" they were already in the coding of the games upon release. Also, Nintendo has ALWAYS released event pokemon, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi & Deoxys, Darkrai & Shaymin & Arceus, Keldeo & Meloetta & Genesect, and now Diancie. Every generation nintendo always does this, it's no different now.

Yeah, I like how they cut back on the numbers of the legendaries in this gen :) Also, I'm aware that they release the pokemon in events lol, I was just simply talking about the amount of legendaries they added to this generation! :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I think it'd be great if legendaries were separated into two different terms; one would be "legendary," of course, and the other would go something along the lines of "extreme rare." Pokémon like Lugia, Giratina, Rayquaza, Suicune, and all others that make it into game covers would be put into former category, and things like Zapdos, Cresselia, and Darkrai would be put into latter. This way, they'd have a much easier time when it comes to retaining value.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I think it'd be great if legendaries were separated into two different terms; one would be "legendary," of course, and the other would go something along the lines of "extreme rare." Pokémon like Lugia, Giratina, Rayquaza, Suicune, and all others that make it into game covers would be put into former category, and things like Zapdos, Cresselia, and Darkrai would be put into latter. This way, they'd have a much easier time when it comes to retaining value.

I don't think you mean Zapdos, because the legendary bird trio has seemingly been in EVERY pokemon game ever, lol! :D (Pokemon Red/blue/green/whatever, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Pokemon XD, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Dream World, X and Y) and Cresselia is fairly common as well, anyone with Diamon, Pearl or Platinum can get one, or Black 2 or White 2 or even Dream World. putting them into various categories doesn't retain or detract from their value, they're still just as rare/easy to come by as they were before.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I don't think you mean Zapdos, because the legendary bird trio has seemingly been in EVERY pokemon game ever, lol! :D (Pokemon Red/blue/green/whatever, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Pokemon XD, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Dream World, X and Y) and Cresselia is fairly common as well, anyone with Diamon, Pearl or Platinum can get one, or Black 2 or White 2 or even Dream World. putting them into various categories doesn't retain or detract from their value, they're still just as rare/easy to come by as they were before.

I'm inclined to agree there. I have Dream Radar too which is another method of gaining and additional HoOh, Lugia, Giratina, Dialga, Palkia as well as Landorus, Thundurus and Tornadus. As well as the ability to reset the game and start all over again (provided you have both B2 and W2).

Legendaries are legendaries. X was the first game back in the franchise for me, and it was actually quite refreshing to see that they reduced the amount of legendaries available in game, as it has been rising steadily since Gold/Silver/Crystal. Having only a handful this gen was nice.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
  • I like how they cut back a bit, gen 4 was waaayy to many imo. Can't wait for Diance! :-)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I appreciate that they've started to give each Legendary Pokemon 3 Perfect IVs now, it makes sense that a Legendary would have a high potential stat-wise rather than low IVs across the board.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I was actually really happy that they limited the number of new legendary pokemon. My only minor complaint is how easy it is to find them. Excluding the one you encounter for progressing the story (something I wish they would stop doing), 2 of the 3 remaining were all in the first room of a cave that wasn't particularly difficult to get to (even though the one roaming did require a number of wild encounters before becoming stationary). So Nintendo improved partly by making Legendary pokemon fewer and farther between, but it's still not particularly hard to find them. Part of the challenge is to be beaten and torn by the time you reach the legendary making it that much harder to actually catch them. Also I think the ability to buy dusk balls makes catching them all much too simple with them all being found in some sort of cave or another.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I was actually really happy that they limited the number of new legendary pokemon. My only minor complaint is how easy it is to find them. Excluding the one you encounter for progressing the story (something I wish they would stop doing), 2 of the 3 remaining were all in the first room of a cave that wasn't particularly difficult to get to (even though the one roaming did require a number of wild encounters before becoming stationary). So Nintendo improved partly by making Legendary pokemon fewer and farther between, but it's still not particularly hard to find them. Part of the challenge is to be beaten and torn by the time you reach the legendary making it that much harder to actually catch them. Also I think the ability to buy dusk balls makes catching them all much too simple with them all being found in some sort of cave or another.

Also don't forget that every legendary now has a MINIMUM of 3 perfect IVs without exception. I'm not complaining since you can't breed them so it's good that you can get at least some perfect IVs, but I'm just adding that into the mix: They're easier to find and by default are better than their previous game random counterparts that could potentially come with no perfect IVs at all

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I appreciate that they've started to give each Legendary Pokemon 3 Perfect IVs now, it makes sense that a Legendary would have a high potential stat-wise rather than low IVs across the board.

I agree with that in some respects, but in others I don't and it's going to be really difficult to try and explain why I don't agree! Basically, some legendaries (Celebi, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Phione (even though it's not strictly legendary) and Manaphy) just get the legendary status because of what they represent, rather than their abilities and the fact there is only one of them. I mean, be honest, how many people do actually use them anyway for perfect IVs to be of benefit?

But otherwise I think it's a good idea, since the majority of other legendaries are practically gods, one actually is, I think they're deserving in the perfect IVs.

I hope I kinda got my point across though!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    There are now so many legendaries, and enough that are in the "hard to find" category, that I'd like to see more events with these "hard to find". Off the top of my head, that's:

1. Mew
    2. Any Johto starter
    3. Celebi - We got this through the Bank, however.
    4. Either Hoenn starter not already distributed (Torchic was at release)
    5. Rayquaza - I'm iffy on including this one; the Jade Orb, I think, can no longer be obtained without hacking or without having both HG and SS and two systems available to trade them locally. Otherwise, with Wifi gone, you must have Emerald to get the only other one available legitimately (Lv.70) as you'd have to trade on Ruby/Sapphire using hardware that is hard to find now - and again, two systems that can play those games.
    6. Jirachi - I bet we get it if the Hoenn remakes come to reality this gen.
    7. Deoxys - Various forms perhaps.
    8. Any Sinnoh starter
    9. Froslass - At Lv.1 with a special moveset, just because I think it would be cool. I have a Lv.1 Froslass from a trade, obviously evolved by stone upon birth.
    10. Heatran - It can be found in Reversal Mountain, yes, but I think giving it a special powerful Fire move would be nice.
    11. Regigigas - I haven't done it, but I think you can get one in Unova? The ones in Gen. IV are becoming more rare except by clones.
    12. Manaphy - Because the Pokémon Ranger Egg was an event and it's becoming rare again, I think. Yes, you can hack the Egg into your game, but why not have other legitimate ones?
    13. Darkrai - Cresselia is found on a bridge in Unova, so no need for it, but Darkrai is not found.
    14. Shaymin - I think there could be a flower garden story behind this one on Route 4 somewhere since it seems to be the type of area it would like.
    15. Arceus - Because you never have enough Arceus.
    16. Any pick of Unova legendaries, though there were a LOT of events, so a break would be nice from them.
    17. Unova starters
    18. Any standard Pokémon that is hard to obtain in Gen. V and VI. Rattata and Meowth are examples though I'm cloning and importing a few of Yancy's Meowth and others once I have them all. Again, include a special move.

Note that any event starters should have special moves to make them good events. Otherwise, we can just import starters. I'm starting to do that now.

Years
  • An enthralling question. There have recently been large additions to the legendary pool, and each generation cooks up a new batch, strong or weak. I think I'm leaning towards hoping for less legendaries come Generation 7, because too many makes the main ones lose their prominence. Cover art legendaries are supposed to be important symbols in the game, and having a plethora of minuscule ones behind them reduces that image.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    There are now so many legendaries, and enough that are in the "hard to find" category, that I'd like to see more events with these "hard to find". Off the top of my head, that's:

1. Mew
    2. Any Johto starter
    3. Celebi - We got this through the Bank, however.
    4. Either Hoenn starter not already distributed (Torchic was at release)
    5. Rayquaza - I'm iffy on including this one; the Jade Orb, I think, can no longer be obtained without hacking or without having both HG and SS and two systems available to trade them locally. Otherwise, with Wifi gone, you must have Emerald to get the only other one available legitimately (Lv.70) as you'd have to trade on Ruby/Sapphire using hardware that is hard to find now - and again, two systems that can play those games.
    6. Jirachi - I bet we get it if the Hoenn remakes come to reality this gen.
    7. Deoxys - Various forms perhaps.
    8. Any Sinnoh starter
    9. Froslass - At Lv.1 with a special moveset, just because I think it would be cool. I have a Lv.1 Froslass from a trade, obviously evolved by stone upon birth.
    10. Heatran - It can be found in Reversal Mountain, yes, but I think giving it a special powerful Fire move would be nice.
    11. Regigigas - I haven't done it, but I think you can get one in Unova? The ones in Gen. IV are becoming more rare except by clones.
    12. Manaphy - Because the Pokémon Ranger Egg was an event and it's becoming rare again, I think. Yes, you can hack the Egg into your game, but why not have other legitimate ones?
    13. Darkrai - Cresselia is found on a bridge in Unova, so no need for it, but Darkrai is not found.
    14. Shaymin - I think there could be a flower garden story behind this one on Route 4 somewhere since it seems to be the type of area it would like.
    15. Arceus - Because you never have enough Arceus.
    16. Any pick of Unova legendaries, though there were a LOT of events, so a break would be nice from them.
    17. Unova starters
    18. Any standard Pokémon that is hard to obtain in Gen. V and VI. Rattata and Meowth are examples though I'm cloning and importing a few of Yancy's Meowth and others once I have them all. Again, include a special move.

Note that any event starters should have special moves to make them good events. Otherwise, we can just import starters. I'm starting to do that now.

The problem with that is: Why? Sure the legendaries I get, but why do you NEED a special event to be given the Johto Starts, the Hoenn Starters, or the Sinnoh starters? Just go onto the gts and they're a dime a dozen. Any starter from any generation can be obtained with and without their hidden ability (except gen 2 and 5, so I get the need for an event for the hidden ability, but the actual starters themselves are easily obtained) so why do you need to have a special event to be given something you can go online right now and get for free?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    The problem with that is: Why? Sure the legendaries I get, but why do you NEED a special event to be given the Johto Starts, the Hoenn Starters, or the Sinnoh starters? Just go onto the gts and they're a dime a dozen. Any starter from any generation can be obtained with and without their hidden ability (except gen 2 and 5, so I get the need for an event for the hidden ability, but the actual starters themselves are easily obtained) so why do you need to have a special event to be given something you can go online right now and get for free?
    You forget that the types of "events" I speak of wouldn't give us every single starter via events in a single game. For instance, remember the Sinnoh starters showed up in Unova on marked packages of B/W (or B2/W2, not looking it up). The idea was to give something special - and with a unique move, no doubt - to new trainers; some collectors even on this forum sought to offer other events in order to obtain them personally. Note that Nintendo made another $35 off of every "event" in this case.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    In my opinion, generation 4 was the best for legandaries. I mean you had two awesome special typed legendaries (water/dragon) (steel,dragon), uxie mesprit and azelf who ok weren't that good of a trio, heatran, regigigas AND Cressilia. They were just the pokemon that you could get in game (fair enough regigias you had to trade but the way you did it was easy and required no wifi). I felt in this generation you could argue there were TOO MANY but it balanced it out quite nicely and prompted you to explore the whole region (such as capturing heatran) etc

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Gen 6 is the worst as there was a lack of "feeling" to them. Mewtwo felt like a easy capture with no story, I haven't even caught zygarde and don't even like the look of him. The trio are just a pain in the ass to capture and you can only capture ONE. I only liked the cover legendaries in X/Y.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    The trio are just a pain in the ass to capture and you can only capture ONE.
    You mean Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno? I'll eventually have Y, so it won't be as big a deal for me (Zapdos made his debut appearance x2 when I did random exploration on Route 14 yesterday). However, if having three perfect IVs isn't a concern (and you can't use them in competitions, so who cares?), you can just import them - cloned or straight import, no difference - and be done with it. I'll do that for Dex purposes myself, but I will probably never use them (though I'm going to catch that Zapdos).

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    You mean Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno? I'll eventually have Y, so it won't be as big a deal for me (Zapdos made his debut appearance x2 when I did random exploration on Route 14 yesterday). However, if having three perfect IVs isn't a concern (and you can't use them in competitions, so who cares?), you can just import them - cloned or straight import, no difference - and be done with it. I'll do that for Dex purposes myself, but I will probably never use them (though I'm going to catch that Zapdos).

Yeah valid I guess, I imported a bunch of my gen 3 pokemon into gen 4 but in that case I feel like they were a waste of what potential could be there. LIke you said, it's easy with them to fill the dex but we've seen the wave of excitement already in fire red etc. Now in gen 6 it's like "Oh look Zapdos" I wish there was some added story line with these legendaries and not just roaming. That's something which could be improved in the upcoming ORAS.

Back