• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gender differences

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2008
    I recently saw a DP screenshot that showed that female and male pokemon will have slightly different appearances. What i want to know is what do you think the differences should be. Obviously legendaries are genderless so don't mention them or the pokemon already shown in screenshots. Even post your edited sprites of what they might look like. (Sorry if there is a thread like this but i don't think there is.)

I'll get the ball rolling. Heres what i think about the RSE starters:

Treecko= Male has an extra tail and is chewing one of those stem thingies. (Can't remember what it's called.) for females the red parts will be slightly lighter.
    Torchic= Male has 5 feathers on his head instead of 3.
    Mudkip= Male has longer yellow prongs and longer tail.

OK so they're not drastically different but hey. So anyway i'd like to see everyones ideas on the gender differences.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2008
    Well for some pokemon it could be really obvious and for others not so. I used to have some stick insects and the male was very different to the females. I mean drastically different.
    Well, more ideas:
    Pikachu: females cheeks are pink.
    Seaking: Horn is longer on males.

Well thats all for now.

Demonta

Jem Juggler
    Years
  • Yeah, the changes weren't much different at all, an extra horn or tail would seem to be highly unlikely as the revealed only shows slight size differences.

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    Butterfree- (F)Dark line area on wings.
    Wooper- (F)Part of antenna misssing.

How is that a size difference?

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2008
    Well if you look at different animals for some the differences are very obvious. i used to have 4 stick insects. Of the 3 that survived 1 was male and 2 were female. The female ones were lik leaves and had flat like tails that opened up to were the eggs etc. came out. they were yellowish. The male was more like a stick and could fly he was also brown and did not have spikes unlike the females. They were supposedly of the species. So any way what i am saying is that some pokemon could have greater differences than others.

Anyway I got another one:
    Bulbasaur: female has different markings to males. sorta like Mays and Ashs in the anime.

Flamman

still n00b, working on it!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2018
    it are jusr subtle differences, i had to look 5 times to see difference between the two scizors>_<

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • I saw the difference between male and female Scizor almost immediately, I still can't see the difference between the male and female Butterfree though.

Ariados females should have a larger body than the males, if you know anything about aracnids.

Years
  • I still can't see the difference between the male and female Butterfree though.
    On the female butterfree's lower wing there is a black marking, look:
    Gender differences

Green Bulbasaur

Grass Lover
    Years
  • When I'm playing, I'm not gonna be looking for differences on the colors or body size. I will stay looking at the gender sign by the name. Just to make it easier.

Katakoe

Blah!
    Years
  • I think they should just keep the difference little, like the bigger antenna, or the patterns. Nothing eye-saw-ish. -.-;

Enix-Zae

1000 posts by 2020
    Years
  • what i want to know is about nidoran's. Will they be the same pokemon now?

or will they still be the weird way they are, which would be even weirder now with the differences between genders

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    What are you talking about Enix? o O;; Anyway, I think the changes should be little, because if they're big and obvious, then, it'll be kind of annoying to me. It'd be easier to have a simple change, one that's not hard to see, and yet, one that's not blatantly obvious. *Shrugs*

Pikachu= May have the difference like Ritchie and Ash's pikachu, where Ritchie's had that hair complex...

Enix-Zae

1000 posts by 2020
    Years
  • nidorans are aparently the same pokemon, but of different gender.

Im just wondering if they will be counted as one pokemon now that other pokemon have difference's between their genders.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2006
    how about the females are a tad smaller and focus on moves like speed moves and defence, with a few attacks

while the male focus on attacks without as much defence and speed

just a thought, it makes the guy seem more macho, while the female is more smart

Back