• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Well, after weeks of figuring it out, I think I have my final configuration for my new rig! I've meticulously read through the comments on all of these (Newegg) and cross-verified every piece of hardware through either the manufacturer's website or the credible Hackintosh websites for OS X compatibility. I think it's good.

I'm going to purchase it in two phases; the first phase hopefully will be later today and will include the more expensive items that happen to be on sale/have rebates. The second phase will hopefully be carried out later this week or next week, depending on when I can get $200+ by selling some of my old electronics.
    Spoiler:

What do you guys think?

I don't know a whole lot about OS X, but that looks like a solid rig. :) I'd be more inclined to get a Caviar Black 1TB, though.

Years
    Well, after weeks of figuring it out, I think I have my final configuration for my new rig! I've meticulously read through the comments on all of these (Newegg) and cross-verified every piece of hardware through either the manufacturer's website or the credible Hackintosh websites for OS X compatibility. I think it's good.

I'm going to purchase it in two phases; the first phase hopefully will be later today and will include the more expensive items that happen to be on sale/have rebates. The second phase will hopefully be carried out later this week or next week, depending on when I can get $200+ by selling some of my old electronics.
    Spoiler:

What do you guys think?
    Aside from the case, I can't fault your plan. In regards to the case, you have 2 main things to take into account. Firstly, do you need good airflow or low noise. Unless you're overclocking, the latter is usually a better option, provided you don't mind the plainer cases that cut down on noise. I'd personally go with an Antec 300 or something, because noise should be lower, but the reviews about that case seem fine.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Well, tomorrow's the day. I've figured out everything with the payment, and my parents have lent me the remaining money. I'm going to purchase the entire system tomorrow morning. Woo.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Well, tomorrow's the day. I've figured out everything with the payment, and my parents have lent me the remaining money. I'm going to purchase the entire system tomorrow morning. Woo.
    Lucky you.

If I were you, I'd probably have trouble sleeping tonight.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'd probably do the same. Even when I went to Edmonton for two days. Those days were fun...
    I'm trying to get a Win 2000 disc on eBay. I can't find one as there is so much junk and crap that is not what I want. Two copies on Amazon are like 100-200 dollars...

If you're interested, I think I might have a copy of Windows ME somewhere. Why can't you just copy the contents of the virtual machine to a disk and boot off of there?

Also, I ordered the entire computer. With luck, I should have it tomorrow.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I don't know if I can. I'm trying to find out how on Google, but I can't find exactly that. It's becoming a real pain.

So, you've ordered your computer, huh? How is it going to arrive so quickly?

It should be relatively easy. Look for a drive-cloning program, mount a flash drive or an external in the virtual machine (preferably one that has more free space than what you've used in the VHD), run the cloning software, and wait. Once it finishes the cloning, shut down your computer and try restarting into the flash drive. If it works, great. If not, oh well.

Yep; I put rush processing on it so it should (hopefully) process by tonight and ship for tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then definitely Monday.

Years
    You... people and your... cases. Pffft

General Computer Chat

Years
    Widetech doesn't make really wide stuff. I am disappoint. :(

You really should get a case, even if it's small since that is one messy work place.
    Haha, it's got an ITX case waiting for it, it's just that it's a hackintosh-in-progress, so it needs hardware being swapped in an out. The Widetech box is actually from a PSU, although it's not the PSU that is powering the rig, it's just that the mobo fixs inside the box, so I can put it away when I want.

I was only going for the shock factor, lol. :P

Years

I lol'd so hard.

It's also kind of funny how the optical drive is almost bigger than the mobo.
    That's the mini-ITX form factor. 17cmx17cm.
    ROFLLLL!

ARCHER! Get a case you muppet! I am afraid to think of what would happen if something fell into it! XD
    Eh. I'll RMA it. :P I have tonnes of cases at my disposal, I just cbf until I get Snow Leopard working on it.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Nice Archer, you're building a Hackintosh too! Whatcha going to use it for?

Speaking of Hackintoshing, I got the case for my new rig, and the rest of the parts should be arriving tonight! I did an unboxing video of it on YouTube, and I'm probably going to do some more later. Amusingly enough, the video's been live for less than 24 hours and I've already gotten 5 dislikes for it, and several messages from people saying that "God will rape [your] soul if you install Mac on it" in Arabic.

Years

Speaking of Hackintoshing, I got the case for my new rig, and the rest of the parts should be arriving tonight! I did an unboxing video of it on YouTube, and I'm probably going to do some more later. Amusingly enough, the video's been live for less than 24 hours and I've already gotten 5 dislikes for it, and several messages from people saying that "God will rape [your] soul if you install Mac on it" in Arabic.

Haha, but that is people on Youtube. Not half surprised. Wait for the death threats :P

Years

Speaking of RMA, can I RMA my card if it overheated?
    How did you?? ...nevermind. I can't see it being a huge problem, depending what happened.

Actually, once I get it running, it's going back to work. I work at a computer shop, so it's handy to have something that we can format Mac drives, etc with. It's been a bloody nightmare.

Years

I didn't, but I'm just worried if I might accidentally in the future.

What do you guys think of this PSU?
    It'll work, but I'd seriously go with a better brand. It's not something you want to be slack with, because if it goes, it can take other things with it. That's not to say it will but when you consider that you could get a much better one from Coolermaster, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, Silverstone, etc for not much more, it's a good insurance policy.

Years
    i am having trouble when i put another 1GB of ram in my computer. it has 2 slots but when i put it in my computer dosn't load windows, it just crashes on the loading bar
    Computer specs? As in: board, CPU, ram.

So it's starting to load Windows and then crash? That means that capacity isn't an issue or it wouldn't turn on.

You've got a few possibilities:

a. The new stick/DIMM or ram is faulty.
    b. It's running out of spec.

We really need the specs to see what we're working with.

Cheers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back