• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General game making help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopHat

I'm All WillyWonka.
Years
  • I started using Rpg Maker Xp a couple hours ago.
    I was wondering how to use the starter kit in it.
    Like how do i open it in Rpg maker xp

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • I started using Rpg Maker Xp a couple hours ago.
    I was wondering how to use the starter kit in it.
    Like how do i open it in Rpg maker xp

Simple, open the game.rxproj that is provided with the starter kit...

Years
  • How would I go about changing the game window resolution without actually affecting the game itself? (I don't mean changing the resolution in SpriteResizer as I only want to change the game window size).

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    How would I go about changing the game window resolution without actually affecting the game itself? (I don't mean changing the resolution in SpriteResizer as I only want to change the game window size).
    That is the game window size (800x600, etc.). The resolution (resize factor - how zoomed in the tiles are) is something else.

Years
  • That is the game window size (800x600, etc.). The resolution (resize factor - how zoomed in the tiles are) is something else.

I didn't really phrase that correctly...anyway, I'm trying to find the script that controls the width and height of what you can actually see. When I change the default width and height in SpriteResizer the whole game screen stretches to fit the increased size. Would it help if I showed a mock-up of what I'm trying to achieve? https://destinedhero.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Dawn-Menu-Concept-162895180
    Also, which script controls the position of the Game screen when the Border option is active (when someone activates the 640x480 Screen Size in Options) and how would I go about making it so that option is the default? (I know how to disable screen size option in the Options menu fyi)
    (Just ignore the side menu as I'll be getting to that later.)

Edit: Scrap all of above, doing something I didn't even think of at first...editing CNG's Dual Screen script and its going smoothly now.

Last edited:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Um hey guys i need some help here.
    Well first of all how do i change my screen resolution to ds size?
    and umm another question is how do i make the characters look smaller on screen, because It looks so big and pixelated, i want to make it small as the ds size.

EDIT:
    I manage to find the tile size and change it, also the screen size.
    I think the ds screen size is 256x192

but i get this, and sometimes my auto tiles leave and my text is too big

General game making help

General game making help

and how to resize the battle:
    General game making help

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2014
    How do you set a map as the start map? When I delete all the maps and start with one and start the game it says some map is not found ('cause i deleted the start map). How do I set a new map as the start map?
    Thanks.

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • MD
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Umm... I'ma total newb when it comes to working Rmxp, so can someone please help me?
    I have all the little HGSS overworlds, but I just can't seem to figger out how to make them bob up and down! Can someone explain what it is I'm supposed to be doing? It'd be a great help, and I'd give you credit in my game (Just for being so awesome.) Thanks in advance,
    -Neo

How do you set a map as the start map? When I delete all the maps and start with one and start the game it says some map is not found ('cause i deleted the start map). How do I set a new map as the start map?
    Thanks.

Well, ya kinda need the map named 'Intro', 'coz in the upper left hand corner, there's an event. It's necessary for you to actually play the game. you may need to edit it a bit, though.

Last edited:

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • Umm... I'ma total newb when it comes to working Rmxp, so can someone please help me?
    I have all the little HGSS overworlds, but I just can't seem to figger out how to make them bob up and down! Can someone explain what it is I'm supposed to be doing? It'd be a great help, and I'd give you credit in my game (Just for being so awesome.) Thanks in advance,
    -Neo

Well, ya kinda need the map named 'Intro', 'coz in the upper left hand corner, there's an event. It's necessary for you to actually play the game. you may need to edit it a bit, though.

Untick the move animation box and then tick the stop animation. That should allow you to have the sprites being animated on the spot.

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • MD
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Untick the move animation box and then tick the stop animation. That should allow you to have the sprites being animated on the spot.

DUDE!!! FLIPPIN EPIC WIN!!! YOU ROCK OUT LOUD!!!
    I'ma go try it :3
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    -Neo

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • How do u create animation when u throw a pokeball in battle? Especially for different kinds of pokeball's too.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I need a little help with this particular snippet (it's an easy one).
    Code:
    $game_actors[0].set_graphic(value,value,value,value)
    This is the method of changing the actor's graphic in RMXP (default), however I'm not entirely sure how to fill in the values. I know it's character name (filename), character hue, battler name, battler hue, but I get the "undefined method set_graphic", and besides that I'm not sure of the format for the character name. Would it be "Graphics/Characters/filename"? Then, can the battler name be left blank?

Second question: How can you make the screen follow the character? In the default RMXP enviroment, maps have a "snap edges" effect, and large maps follow the player until they are near an edge. I want it to permanently center on the player, even when near a map's edge.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2010
    Can anyone explain how I insert new tiles into RMXP (with pokémon essentials)?
    I'd also like to know how to insert new fakemon (NOT replace)
    I'd really appreciate it if you answer my questions ^^

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Can anyone explain how I insert new tiles into RMXP (with pokémon essentials)?
    I'd also like to know how to insert new fakemon (NOT replace)
    I'd really appreciate it if you answer my questions ^^
    What do you mean by insert new tiles? It should be the same as with a default RMXP project.
    To add new Pokemon, open Pokemon.txt and copy Bulbasaur's entry. Paste it at the end and modify it to match the information about your fakemon. Make sure you set the ID number to 494 if you're keeping all of the originals too. To display the graphic in the summary and pokedex, name your fakemon graphic 494.png for the front, 494b.png for the back, 494s.png for shiny front, and 494sb.png for shiny back. Put these graphics in the battlers folder and you should be good to go.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2010
    What do you mean by insert new tiles? It should be the same as with a default RMXP project.
    To add new Pokemon, open Pokemon.txt and copy Bulbasaur's entry. Paste it at the end and modify it to match the information about your fakemon. Make sure you set the ID number to 494 if you're keeping all of the originals too. To display the graphic in the summary and pokedex, name your fakemon graphic 494.png for the front, 494b.png for the back, 494s.png for shiny front, and 494sb.png for shiny back. Put these graphics in the battlers folder and you should be good to go.

Wow, that was helpful. Thanks!
    I don't know how to insert tiles at all.. Could you help me please? XD

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • I need a little help with this particular snippet (it's an easy one).
    Code:
    $game_actors[0].set_graphic(value,value,value,value)
    This is the method of changing the actor's graphic in RMXP (default), however I'm not entirely sure how to fill in the values. I know it's character name (filename), character hue, battler name, battler hue, but I get the "undefined method set_graphic", and besides that I'm not sure of the format for the character name. Would it be "Graphics/Characters/filename"? Then, can the battler name be left blank?

Second question: How can you make the screen follow the character? In the default RMXP enviroment, maps have a "snap edges" effect, and large maps follow the player until they are near an edge. I want it to permanently center on the player, even when near a map's edge.

I can't really answer your first question, but for the second question. If you're map has trees as the border, then just add more trees, just like essentials to avoid the black borders in outside maps.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I can't really answer your first question, but for the second question. If you're map has trees as the border, then just add more trees, just like essentials to avoid the black borders in outside maps.
    I thought about it, but it's like ten tiles past each side. Actually, nevermind I can reduce the viewport a little and then do that to make it more manageable, and to make the game look better. Thanks.

@crdm: Do you mean actually putting tiles on a map, or using new tilesets? I'm hoping it's not the former, so I'll explain the latter. To use a new tileset, open up the Database (press F9) and go to the Tilesets tab. On the left there is a list of your tilesets, and you can use the change maximum command to increase how many you have, and add a new one. From there, you have to click on a new blank one you just created and set the tileset you want under "Tileset Graphic:" Then you can choose your autotiles, etc., and be sure to add passability (the display of the tiles on the right).

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    Hi Guys, someone has got to run this:

5.Creating Player Pokémon Animation
    and
    6.Creating Trainer Pokémon Animation

Both belong to Luka´s tutorial.
    What happens is that everything I put there but it does not work. Gives me no error but does not work. Reproduces only cry twice, but the Pokémon image doesn´t move.
    Sorry for my english and thanks for advance

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back