• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
Years
A question for all you maths people out there...

Hey guys, I was wondering about this yesterday. When a Pokémon is Paralyzed (50% chance of not moving in a turn) and Confused (50% of hitting itself in a turn), what is the chance that this Pokémon will not normally attack in a turn?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Actually, paralysis only makes it so that you can't attack 25% of the time, so 25% plus the 50% from confusion, means 75%. So you are only able to attack 25% of the time.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I somehow arrived at 5/8 chance you don't attack, 3/8 chance you do.

pc = .25*.5 = .125, !pc = .75*.5 = .375, p!c = .125, !p!c = .375

pc+!pc+p!c = .625 = 5/8?

Years
@aussielondon's RBY Mew question:

Back in the day, when Nintendo had mall tours in 1998/1999 or so, with Pikachu Volkswagon Beetle's and vehicle trailers for visitors to N64 on... there was also a Pokemon mall tour available for the Trading Card Game & video game.

When I attended, I got this Mew event. It featured an original OT and ID of a developer name. Might have been Miyamoto or started with S. Can't remember. Was low level, like at five or fifteen. Had only two moves, I think, Pound and Transform.

Also available was various merchandising such as posters, keychains. I left with a Boulder/Cascade Badge keychain and a metallic style poster for Pokemon Stadium that had a showcase of sorts for the games character 3D models. Might have been Stadium 2 poster, can't remember. Pretty sure it was closer to the release date of Yellow as no one there had Yellow.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I hope you got what you're looking for, Cornflakes!

Since this is a question topic, I'll merge it into our Q&A thread.

Merged.

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
Years
How do you get an ORAS Demo Code in Smyths Toys in Ireland?

I was wondering if anyone knows. Sorry if it's in the wrong subforum. Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Foreign pokemon from gems 4 and 5 - do they keep foreign status when transferred to gen 6?

Anyone know if pokemon that were obtained/generated in the 4th and 5th generation games keep their language of origin status? Ex., I have a few pokemon I got from the GTS in Pearl that are Japanese and German. If I transfer them up to X, will they still count as foreign, and will they work with the Masuda method?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
They will still have their foreign status. I got a Japanese Dratini once from the GTS in Gen 5 (which later became a Dragonite in Gen 5) and when I transferred it to X/Y, it was labeled as a Japanese Pokemon.

The name will also change to the whatever the name is in its original language, unless it has a nickname. My Dragonite was "Dragonite" in Gen 5, but now its name is "カイリュー" on Gen 6.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've transferred one of my foreign Pokémon before, and yes, as Zekrom, they do retain their original information and whatnot.

Also, Sceptile and Princess, I'm merging your threads with Quick Questions & Answers, if you don't mind, since they're primarily being used to ask questions.

Merged.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Are there any pokemon in any gen besides Smeargle that can learn all of these:

-False Swipe
-A sleep move
-Mind Reader
-Mean Look

For any gen, my main purpose of asking is to create the ultimate pokemon for catching. From my own research I can't find a single pokemon that can learn all of these moves, besides Smeargle and using Sketch to steal them from other trainers/pokemon.

Also, quick question: in gen6, will using Mind Reader and then Spore enable you to put a Grass-type pokemon to sleep? And will Mind Reader enable the use of False Swipe/a normal-type sleep move on a Ghost pokemon?
(sorry if this is the wrong forum since it isn't quite gen-specific)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Aside from Smeargle, I don't believe there's any other Pokémon that could learn all those moves, sadly. Closet would likely have to be Parasect, which could learn about three of them, if I'm not mistaken (you might have to do a little research on that).

As for Mind Reader, it is said to ensures that your next move will not fail, so going by this, I'd say it'd indeed allow you to use Spore on grass-types and False Swipe (or any other normal attacks) on ghost. Hope you find this helpful!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Are there any pokemon in any gen besides Smeargle that can learn all of these:

-False Swipe
-A sleep move
-Mind Reader
-Mean Look

For any gen, my main purpose of asking is to create the ultimate pokemon for catching. From my own research I can't find a single pokemon that can learn all of these moves, besides Smeargle and using Sketch to steal them from other trainers/pokemon.

Also, quick question: in gen6, will using Mind Reader and then Spore enable you to put a Grass-type pokemon to sleep? And will Mind Reader enable the use of False Swipe/a normal-type sleep move on a Ghost pokemon?
(sorry if this is the wrong forum since it isn't quite gen-specific)
As far as I know there isn't a Pokemon besides Smeargle that can have all 4 of those moves. Also, Mind Reader does not make it so Ghost types can be hit by Fighting or Normal attacks. When it says that it "ensures the attack will not fail", it just means that the next move you make will not miss. Immunities and whatnot still apply. Foresight is a move that lets Fighting and Normal attacks hit Ghosts. If you're gonna go with a Smeargle, Dark Void is your best bet as a sleep move, since nothing is immune to it type-wise.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 24, 2016
Can I catch a gyarados with a good rod in platinum at the Great Marsh?

So, can I catch a gyarados with a good rod in platinum at the Great Marsh? If so, where in the Great Marsh? I wanted to make sure that I could do this in platinum, because it seems that I could only do this in diamond or pearl and not platinum with a good rod. Thank you all for your help! ... :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 24, 2016
For some strange reason you can only fish up Gyarados in the Great Marsh with a Good Rod in D/P, but not Platinum. You can do it with a Super Rod though. Or catch a Magikarp and evolve it.

Well darn, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case... lol. Do you know when you get the Super Rod in platinum and after what badge? Is it really late in the game?

Years
  • Age 58
  • Seen Nov 1, 2014
Is pokemon txt coming to the iPhone? I don't own an iPad but I want to play Pokemon on my mobile device. Thanks

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 24, 2016
Hey everyone, is the best nature for crobat jolly, adamant, or another nature? I was leaning more towards jolly because of the speed increase, would this be ideal? Thanks! :)

Years
Hey everyone, is the best nature for crobat jolly, adamant, or another nature? I was leaning more towards jolly because of the speed increase, would this be ideal? Thanks! :)

From a competitive standpoint Jolly is the preferred nature here since it needs all the speed it can get, but in-game natures don't matter as much. It's usually competitive play where the natures really matter, but I'll just say go for the Jolly Crobat because it mainly wants more speed than attacking power.

However if you're just doing in-game and not competitive stuff, the nature won't matter there.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 24, 2016
Hey everyone, is the best nature for togekiss modest or some other nature and why? Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back