• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    @Zeus Well a tactic you could try before you put out a rp here is to try and roleplay with some other people before hand. One thing I've noticed here on PC, unlike on other sites, is that when you get to know more people then they will be more inclined to join your roleplay. If your roleplaying skills aren't known then they have no idea how your rp will work. They would have no idea if you roleplay in a way they enjoy, or if you roleplay in a way they don't enjoy. Let people get an idea about how YOU roleplay as a character and show others how you deal with setting up the personalities of characters.

Once you meet enough people, and likely gain some friends, then whenever you do submit a roleplay they will be more likely to join, a good example is that I was in Pokemon Odyssey for some time and I met a lot of great rpers there, so much so that when SB and I teamed up and presented our rp we had tons of people signing up. Not only including friends (and the super fantastic SV) but when those rpers join up they might be friends with other rpers we don't know and those rpers might well join up in order to rp with their friends. It's a domino effect so the more people you know and the more friends you make, there is a better chance of a rp getting off the ground.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    Well there are open spots yes, but you'll need to submit a SU and Sb and I will have to see if you get accepted, and it's not my rp alone but also Sir Bastian's, my fellow GM. Though as I said if you roleplay with others and show off your rp skills and you do a fine job alongside them then you start making friends and at the same time you get to know other rpers better and when they make rps you might feel more inclined to join theirs.

Anyways the name of the rp is Shattered Era, you'll be able to find the OOC in the lounge. Though I would recommend, until you do get to meet more people, that you first get to know other rpers. Another rp I would also suggest to join to get a hang for rping here in general is the pokemon trainer's academy, which is mainly for new users to the forum. It's not as strict as other rps and pretty much lets anyone in and yellow is more than helpful in correcting SUs.

As to joining other rps, you have to match up whatever sign up they set up for their rp and then they decide if you have a good enough SU to be allowed in, though if you do submit a bad SU at first they will often tell you what areas you need to improve on and give you a few more chances to get it right.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    @Donovan It depends on what the roleplay is about. We have pokemon roleplays all over the place, so if you could be a bit more specific about what you would offer, then you can find out from others if they would be interested or not, but if you do want to discuss rp ideas you can actually head over to the official planning and review thread here. It's just so that the discussion board isn't clogged up with rp ideas.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Would anyone here be interested in a New Pokemon Roleplay???

You're going to have to be more specific than that, we've got a lot already! :) As with Zeus, if you're new to PC's roleplay corner then it's a good idea to get stuck in with some pre-existing roleplays - it'll help you get to know others and how we do roleplays over here!

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
    Years
  • I can't be the only one who noticed this, but hasn't the RPC been taking a steep decline lately? I'm seeing activity all over falling shorter and shorter, and it's like we're a ghost town compared to how it was, say, three months ago. I know mention of the site as a whole and this sort of thing aren't common discussion, but perhaps we can find some way to bring in more, active RPers? Maybe Rukario may have some ideas as well. I thoroughly enjoy this community and seeing this decline is worrisome, because I don't think I'd ever RP anywhere else, and I would not like to give up on it. I had to shut down Soulbond (literally no activity, nor new interest from others, with countless advertisement attempts) and even the once thriving RPs I am a part of are stopping short.

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing this drastic change in our corner.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    I haven't really noticed that, actually. I think it's just that time where everyone has to catch up on life, which tends to happen once every few months.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
    Years
  • I know that, and I've seen it happen often, but to me it feels more like a decline than a bounce-back this time. And it feels like activity has been falling for a while, now. It could be a paranoia of mine, but I feel like it's happening.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    No... The decline is just a seasonal fluctuation. It's the time where everyone is busy (school is back on, university, etc.). There are still active role plays and role players here. We'll see it pick up again when Easter holidays come in.

You're free to brainstorm ideas for us mods to set up (or for you/members to head) but I don't see what Rukario will contribute here.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    What Magic said. I've been here long enough to see the RPC go up and down over the years. Honestly, I think 2011 was the busiest I've seen the corner, with the Platinum Quaterdeck releasing rps left right and centre. its always busiest over the northern hemisphere summer (my winter) because of holidays so it must be feeling quite dead at the mo, it being the opposite of that

don't worry, we always bounce back. i dont think ive ever seen the rpc with absolutely no activity at all

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    I would say it will most likely bounce back. Everyone is busy with stuff (I myself, am loaded with group projects which suck the life out of me).

Also, would anyone be willing to give me a little tutorial on css? Like how to make an RP pretty and stuff?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
    Years
  • By involving Rukario in it I was thinking something along the lines of Roleplay Corner being advertised in some way. Though, if you guys are this certain it is just gonna bounce back, I guess it'll be a matter of waiting out this activity drought. (Points for rhyming?)

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    Also, would anyone be willing to give me a little tutorial on css? Like how to make an RP pretty and stuff?

Basically you just have to imagine a css as a (sometimes invisible) box with text inside (or no text at all if you prefer it that way) and then you use code to give it a bunch of different attributes, like size, dimensions, margins, colors, border shapes, style, etc. You can then layer different boxes on top of , inside of, or even next to each other to make fancy looking css.

There are actually some pretty good tutorials around PC that tells you about the different attributes you can apply to css. Here's a thread with just that purpose.

I find myself on this site a lot when I am trying to find different codes to do what I want.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I've had some of the votes in for Feb's RPChallenge, so results will be up by the end of the week hopefully.

Does anyone have ideas/wishes of what they'd like to see next month? Any suggestions that you feel everyone would enjoy are welcome here/my pm box/by vm.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    I'm gonna give the people in Johto Mysteries another couple of weeks to show any signs of activity, after which, I will remove all the inactives.

I know I've been away for a month, but it's almost a week since I returned and a 3 weeks gap between my return and removing people seems quite fair, considering my absence.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I'm gonna give the people in Johto Mysteries another couple of weeks to show any signs of activity, after which, I will remove all the inactives.

I know I've been away for a month, but it's almost a week since I returned and a 3 weeks gap between my return and removing people seems quite fair, considering my absence.

Sounds fair to me!

How about a question then, for anyone GMing (or thinking of GMing).

How active do you like your roleplayers to be? Could be in terms of posts/week, how often they are in the OOC thread, or whatever :3.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    Well, I wouldn't mind them posting once per week or at least posting twice per Scene (my RP is divided into Acts and Scenes). A few times per Act works as well, I guess x.x

And, of course, I wouldn't mind more activity in the ooc thread, as most news are posted there.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Gotta agree, one post a week is my standard request. Although I understand why it might be longer sometimes, being busy myself.

Oh look I released PokéLINK ;O It has been sitting in my PMs box for so long now. I tweaked it thanks to some feedback but if you have any more questions feel free to ask in the thread or VM/PM me!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Crossroads, the RP I'm currently GMing, is pretty odd when it comes to activity. At least compared to other RPs I've been in. Instead of posting now and then in the IC, we poke around with joint posts in etherpads and only post when we feel done with a chapter/story part. Haven't quite done it like that before, except for maybe a bit in Atlantis. So I'd say we're just as active as I could ask for! Normally I enjoy at least one post per week from each RPer, because less than that you should ask yourself (like I find myself doing now and then) if you really have time/interest for that particular RP, and more often than a few times a week and it's too active for me to literally have time and energy to put into it. The other RPers would run ahead of me :p Presently, I've fallen out of my RP mood again. Darnit. But normally, I just tend to try and avoid too active RPs. I just don't like too inactive ones either, haha, it's a balance. We all got our preferences depending on what lives we lead, I guess.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back