• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Anyone know where I can create my characters?
    Hello there. You can check out (and read thoroughly) the Roleplay Corner rules to find out how we usually do RPing here. In the Roleplay Lounge, you can find descriptions of ongoing or just started RPs and see which ones that allow new people to join, currently. If you see something that is open and suits you, fill out their presented SU form to create your character such that it fits with the RP's background etc.

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2023
    As a whole, what do you think some RPers can do to improve the RP community on PC?

We've also had several contests (of a sort), such as the RP Challenges and even the RP Olympics, that have received a bit of attention (both in the RPC and the rest of the forums) in the past. Would it be wise to maybe reintroduce such things? Why? Do you think we could improve them?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's fun to bold yer text, eh? :)

"Some" RPers? I think all RPers can help out by being helpful in general and chatty in OOC threads! It's a pity with this part of PokéCommunity that most chatting between members happen in OOC threads where you only meet the few people who happen to be in your RP. But since we got the Planning & Review thread together with the Character Interview thread, I think it's gotten a lot better.

So, one thing that definitely improves the section is if members suggest changes and new ideas for threads or challenges. Either by talking about it here to see what others thing, or by suggesting it directly to one of us moderators. A community grows by its members striving for things to be better, after all. I think we're pretty awesome as it is now, thanks to all wonderful people here.

And yes, I think all mods are up for reintroducing the RP Awards periodically next year. In between, we could have challenges! Granted, they didn't receive super much attention at all times, but as long as a few people like them and somebody has time to run them and oversee them, it might be worth it.

The Halloween and Hoenn Contest challenges we had lately went really well! They were a bit different though, structured like real RPs. Did you guys like that?

Of course, the mods don't have to be the ones hosting the challenges, I hope you all are aware of that. Just, run ideas through us if you want to host something, since we gotta approve your thread before it shows up anyways :p

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2023
    Only when asking questions! ;P

As of next month, I should be able to host the monthly challenges if given a chance.​

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • We've also had several contests (of a sort), such as the RP Challenges and even the RP Olympics, that have received a bit of attention (both in the RPC and the rest of the forums) in the past. Would it be wise to maybe reintroduce such things? Why? Do you think we could improve them?

I remember some of the challenges from earlier, but I didn't participate in most (any?) of them. Those were the ones that were more along the line of "create a character!" or "write a cool joint post!" They seemed fun, and I thought they were a cool addition, but they weren't ones that drew me in.

I do enjoy the actual RP Events, like the Hoenn Grande Festival and Darkrai's Night of Terror. I only posted once in the latter because I was busy, but I loved the Grande Festival. I think events like this are great, because they allow you to just jump right into a roleplay of sorts without a complicated sign up or the commitment that's typically involved. Like I said, I only posted once in the Halloween event, and while I would have liked to post more, it wasn't a big deal that I wasn't able to. I was able to make a single post and be done. I didn't have to worry about finding time in my schedule to write something if I was busy, and that was pretty great.

@The Charred Mecha Dragon Zero - What do you need help with? Co-GMing or writing a roleplay or something else?

Anyways, time for some shameless advertising!

The Summit Awaits

Mega Evolution is taking the spotlight for this next journey through the Kalos Region. Professor Sycamore, the primary researcher on this strange form of Pokémon evolution, is recruiting skilled trainers to assist him in discerning the secrets behind this phenomenon. If you think you have what it takes, why not apply for a position as one of his aides? Who knows what mysteries you'll uncover and how you'll grow as a trainer. At the very least you'll be given a keystone and a Mega Stone, so you'll be stronger for it!

But maybe you're not ready for the responsibility. After all, you're going to face many new challenges during this quest. One such obstacle comes in the form of Professor Lilith Hemlock, a new face to the scene of Mega Evolution. She's intelligent, ambitious, and some say incredibly ruthless, and it seems she's amassing her own force to counter Professor Sycamore. Perhaps she just wants to be the first one to discover the truth behind Mega Evolution and claim all the glory, or maybe the rumors are true and she seeks the power to fuel some greater ambition.

Beyond that, there's always the Cult of Diancie. Nobody knows much about them, but there have been reports of movement by their followers. It would seem that they've somehow managed to gain access to the art of Mega Evolution, but no one knows how or why. Their motives are a mystery, and no one's quite sure exactly how far they'll go to meet their goals, whatever they may be.

If you're one of the brave and adventurous souls willing to take the risk, head on over to Sycamore's lab to join up.

background image by mark331 of deviantART​

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • @Nakuzami:
    You should probably choose a lighter font colour because your advertising is barely legible.

On another note, as I continue to update the RP Library I find myself making a banner. So could GMs please PM me a link to the picture you wish to represent your RP in the RP Library banner. (And also could those GMs who haven't PMed me an outline of their RP also PM that too, thanks.) I look to have this banner up by the New Year.

~Revlis out.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    More on wanting advice on whether or not my RP idea is worth developing and refining. But the co-GMing would be helpful too, if and when I refine my Fossil Fighters RP idea.
    That is what the Planning & Review thread over in the Roleplay Lounge is for! Present your ideas there and let people comment with suggestions.

If you want to just gauge interest for an idea though, this thread here is probably better.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    As a whole, what do you think some RPers can do to improve the RP community on PC?
    Answering the first question... I'm an outsider, so perhaps my input might be useful. From what I've observed, a lot of the threads here are kind of these... long-winded affairs that seem overly complex for a single thread. Things that should be developed spanning an entire forum. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to be lengthy or anything. No, I'm glad to see other people letting their creativity run wild! But for a new user like myself who isn't accustomed to that, it can be rather intimidating. As well, I've observed that threads, like in every other roleplaying forum, die, so all that investment in writing a long-winded form often seems to go down the toilet. And I'm no beginner roleplayer or anything either. I have 10+ years of experience. This place doesn't seem too beginner-friendly though.

What I'm saying is perhaps people should focus less on planning out these elaborate scenarios, and more so are getting out a basic premise, and allowing players more freedom to flesh it out. I think this would allow this roleplay section to attract more interest outside of a niche, as well as attract roleplayers like myself who prefer to wing it more so than plan things out. Once again, don't get me wrong. Planning is necessary to keep things apart, and I know from experience that not enough planning is also the cause of death in roleplays. But I also think that the other extreme, overplanning, can be detrimental at certain times for RPs.

That's just my two cents right there. I'm probably woefully wrong and you can feel free to smack me on the head because I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @Arylett Elaborate (overly elaborate?) roleplays do seem to be getting more common. I think there is a bit of a problem with writing perception, some roleplays get ignored if they're not long enough or pretty enough. On the other hand, there are plenty of over simplified roleplays going on that get nowhere as members get bored, confused or otherwise unmotivated. People tend to miss the middle ground where they have a good starting point, without required reading+memorising an ogre of a thread.

It would be nice to see a more open roleplay, but it would probably be slow going and few in numbers - which also seems to be a bad motivator (unless you're a close-knit group of friends, which has proven to be the perfect formula in many of our long-running roleplays).

From what I've observed, a lot of the threads here are kind of these... long-winded affairs that seem overly complex for a single thread. Things that should be developed spanning an entire forum.

This is how the last forum I roleplayed on did - granted it was a small forum community (30-40 members tops). It certainly allowed a bit more order, organisation and separation. Could sometimes get confusing though. As much as I'd love to open subforums for some roleplays it just wouldn't be possible for all of them :(.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Answering the first question... I'm an outsider, so perhaps my input might be useful. From what I've observed, a lot of the threads here are kind of these... long-winded affairs that seem overly complex for a single thread. Things that should be developed spanning an entire forum. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to be lengthy or anything. No, I'm glad to see other people letting their creativity run wild! But for a new user like myself who isn't accustomed to that, it can be rather intimidating. As well, I've observed that threads, like in every other roleplaying forum, die, so all that investment in writing a long-winded form often seems to go down the toilet. And I'm no beginner roleplayer or anything either. I have 10+ years of experience. This place doesn't seem too beginner-friendly though.

What I'm saying is perhaps people should focus less on planning out these elaborate scenarios, and more so are getting out a basic premise, and allowing players more freedom to flesh it out. I think this would allow this roleplay section to attract more interest outside of a niche, as well as attract roleplayers like myself who prefer to wing it more so than plan things out. Once again, don't get me wrong. Planning is necessary to keep things apart, and I know from experience that not enough planning is also the cause of death in roleplays. But I also think that the other extreme, overplanning, can be detrimental at certain times for RPs.

That's just my two cents right there. I'm probably woefully wrong and you can feel free to smack me on the head because I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    We sometimes put up "rp events" in this section, where anyone can enter without much of a sign-up at all, and jump straight into playing for a couple of weeks. Considering the way we RP here has been working well for a long time now, I think these events are enough of the simpler kind :3 But there are also some user-made RPs that are "simple" to join in and play in now and then. For example, my own Begin Again isn't overly elaborate, I'd say. Just go on a journey, basically.

I'm sure most people who find this thread we are currently in and start talking here, realize how welcoming our community is. But yeah, I know that it seems intimidating at first. It's a pity :/ On the other hand, though, we like it when RPs grow epic and players invested in them.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    @Arylett Things always tend to get out of hand when you post the IC, so a bit of planning ahead will keep things in their right place; call it over-planning, but the ability to do this might just save your RP from being a short-lived experience. People are just finding better ways to GM, as opposed to people three years ago who came up with an idea and posted it right away. Some of those worked out, but I think the average ambitious GM now realizes that they have better chances of success after planning thoroughly.

As for being a new player who's daunted to join any RPs; hmm... as far as I know, there are kinds and kinds of roleplays in this forum if you look around, made to fit all tastes. Simple, sandbox, complex. Did you find nothing suitable? I suppose the forum has matured a bit, but is that entirely bad and off putting to new players? I wouldn't say so with certainty. I've noticed the number of long-running RPs has increased over the years - perhaps that would be it, you don't feel like joining an RP where things have already progressed, and there aren't as many new RPs for likewise new players to try out. Still, they do exist.

I agree, though, that the basic premise of an RP should be given some more attention than elaborate scenarios the GM is willing to implement, as you say. That would let the players drive the story into places they themselves have imagined and the natural, exciting feel of it could surpass pre-planned, fixed events you spark as a GM.

Last edited:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    We sometimes put up "rp events" in this section, where anyone can enter without much of a sign-up at all, and jump straight into playing for a couple of weeks. Considering the way we RP here has been working well for a long time now, I think these events are enough of the simpler kind :3 But there are also some user-made RPs that are "simple" to join in and play in now and then. For example, my own Begin Again isn't overly elaborate, I'd say. Just go on a journey, basically.
    This isn't really to my tastes either. As I said before, I don't really want something that is overly simple with no planning and that I can just jump into at any time. Just something a little less... unwieldy and hard to get through. I think Magic had the right idea here.

@Arylett Elaborate (overly elaborate?) roleplays do seem to be getting more common. I think there is a bit of a problem with writing perception, some roleplays get ignored if they're not long enough or pretty enough. On the other hand, there are plenty of over simplified roleplays going on that get nowhere as members get bored, confused or otherwise unmotivated. People tend to miss the middle ground where they have a good starting point, without required reading+memorising an ogre of a thread.

It would be nice to see a more open roleplay, but it would probably be slow going and few in numbers - which also seems to be a bad motivator (unless you're a close-knit group of friends, which has proven to be the perfect formula in many of our long-running roleplays).

This is how the last forum I roleplayed on did - granted it was a small forum community (30-40 members tops). It certainly allowed a bit more order, organisation and separation. Could sometimes get confusing though. As much as I'd love to open subforums for some roleplays it just wouldn't be possible for all of them :(.

You've basically hit the nail on the head with what I was trying to say. A good balance to me is important. And I find a lengthy "ogre" of a thread as you called it to be rather intimidating and a detractor. But at the same time, as I was saying, you cannot have a lack of planning either. People do get bored and stop posting if they aren't given enough direction or stuff to work with and I myself do not like a roleplay that is very poorly thoughout and full of one-liners with little plot. (I've seen my fair share of those... used to moderate a forum full of it and let me tell you, it was awful.) I find the roleplays here go a bit too far on the overly long spectrum of things. What I think is that there is such a thing as a good balance of planning - enough for people to have something to work with and be motivated to continue, but not so much that I feel like I have to read a textbook just to join, which is intimidating to new users like myself. Kind of allowing for a bit of ambiguity so that people can fill in the gaps, and so that it can feel like we're all writing the story together rather than just being directed by a DM.

As for being a new player who's daunted to join any RPs; hmm... as far as I know, there are kinds and kinds of roleplays in this forum if you look around, made to fit all tastes. Simple, sandbox, complex. Did you find nothing suitable?
    Most of the roleplays I've found were similar in structure and didn't offer much variety between them. I've kind of been lurking for months, trying to see something that interests me, but anything that I'm even mildly interested in is typically closed off.

As I've said though, my words can be taken with a grain of salt. It is only based on observation and my particular opinion. Like others, I have my way of doing things and it might not really fit with the general vibe of things here. I do come from a variety of different communities from my years of experience and I have my own preconceptions about what a fun roleplay is to me.

I figured I would comment on my perception of what I felt the roleplaying on this site was like generally and what could be done to improve roleplayers here. However, now that I have received responses, I think I will do what I typically do in such a situation. If you can't join 'em, make 'em. So I will be making my own roleplay rather than trying to find one to join. And I'll make my own attempt to strike the balance I desire. :P I will be using a technique of planning that has been useful to a one-on-one roleplay with my fiance in keeping us active and motivated, with proper direction and yet enough room to improvise. We will see how that goes, and how my way of doing things fits into this place.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    What I think is that there is such a thing as a good balance of planning - enough for people to have something to work with and be motivated to continue, but not so much that I feel like I have to read a textbook just to join, which is intimidating to new users like myself. Kind of allowing for a bit of ambiguity so that people can fill in the gaps, and so that it can feel like we're all writing the story together rather than just being directed by a DM.
    I think I have to disagree with you here. Walls of text don't bore me or exhaust me, but make me excited. A long wall tells me that this person has given their story world a lot of love and a lot of planning! Provided, when I first find a roleplay with a wall of text, I read the first few paragraphs then ask to join, then read the rest when I'm writing my SU so I have fresh memory of the lore. Gives me so much more to work with. I love it.

Most of the roleplays I've found were similar in structure and didn't offer much variety between them. I've kind of been lurking for months, trying to see something that interests me, but anything that I'm even mildly interested in is typically closed off.
    I don't mean to be blunt, but I'm not too sure you were looking too deep if they were all similar in structure. Over the past few months, I've seen plenty of sandbox, journey, linear plots, and roleplays that have the whole 'keep your SU updated with items we use along the way' and ones that are basically books to read. The best thing to do in your situation is be subscribed to the 'Check to see if your roleplay has been accepted' thread. Because you see roleplays as soon as they're posted. And even if roleplays are closed, it doesn't hurt to shoot the GM a PM and be like "hey i really like your roleplay, could you squeeze me in???".

I'm not sure what kind of 'structure' you're looking for but there have been plenty of a variety over the past months.

If you can't join 'em, make 'em. So I will be making my own roleplay rather than trying to find one to join. And I'll make my own attempt to strike the balance I desire. :P
    This was my next suggestion, but you've already figured that out ;P

In any case, welcome to PC. <:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • @Nakuzami:
    You should probably choose a lighter font colour because your advertising is barely legible.

On another note, as I continue to update the RP Library I find myself making a banner. So could GMs please PM me a link to the picture you wish to represent your RP in the RP Library banner. (And also could those GMs who haven't PMed me an outline of their RP also PM that too, thanks.) I look to have this banner up by the New Year.

~Revlis out.

Just bringing a little attention to this post in case GMs hadn't seen it. Forget the outlines as they're not working with the RP currently, but I would still much appreciate the pics (or I'll pick one for you >:D)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back