• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
  • I've roleplayed since I could type. Firstly on games, and then progressing on, if we want to actually go to the root of it. It would be the origin of my writing. I would play alone or sometimes with my brother with what I would call "Imaginery Games" and when my brother became too old to play I played by myself and then I wrote them down. Then writing lead to Roleplaying. Something I dislike is when they die and sometimes how they don't last.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I've got into it two weeks ago, because people were talking about it, and it sounded interesting. I've had a bit of experience writing, but not that much

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
    Years
  • How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?

Huh, I don't remember if I got into roleplaying here or someplace else, but my first post on The New User's Hangout says I was already into roleplaying before I got into PC sooo there's that ^ ^; I've always been into writing. I honestly don't remember a time when I wasn't making my own little stories. As a kid, I used to stay at the children's section of the library a lot and read books there. I remember writing a sequel to Animorphs (which is a great children's book series, by the way) when I was in fourth grade. That said, I've always had trouble with social interactions. I had friends, but they were few and we didn't really do things together often. I went about my life like that for a few years, reading books and writing when I had the time. I even joined the school paper. Then, I'm not sure where, I found out about roleplaying. It was exactly what I needed: social interaction through writing. It's fun to see how minds work together to create great plots. It's amazing how a variety of characters from different people, each with different personalities and varying motivations, can interact and make a colorful chain of stories. Roleplaying is like taking different people and writing a story with them. It may not turn out what you wanted it to be, but it might be better. I find it fun and exhilarating to create stories with other people. If there was one thing I dislike about roleplaying, it's that I feel like I'm not able to express myself as much as I want to because of language barriers, but even that can be remedied by roleplaying. One of the reasons I am a lot better at English now is because I started RPing.

EDIT: So, uhh, like Deceptio said, I guess ^ ^;;

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?
    i've essentially been roleplaying since i was little, though in a very different format (。 >艸<) in primary school, some classmates and I would always act out our very own Journey Roleplay, as the characters of the then-brand new Ruby and Sapphire. it was the best thing.
    when that wasn't really socially acceptable anymore (lol) i sought refuge on the internet, and resorted to roleplaying on an online chatroom (sort of). habbo hotel anyone? of course then it was just like 'omg stop! *throws ball*' with everyone who happened to be in the same room. but eventually i started roleplaying more seriously with just a select group of friends, and we also started completely different stories than just Pokémon.
    alongside this, i started reading along to one of the Journey Roleplays here c: but i didn't think i had the english skills to pull something of that caliber off at the time. later though, i grew bored of our group playing the same sort of roleplay every time (because we always fell back into the same patterns). so, i joined this site and started LIVING THE DREAM, haha. though i still have a lot to learn, i really enjoy creating diverse characters and playing through intricate stories with a larger group of people. also the writing aspect is great, i love that you can express so much more this way. sadly i haven't been able to convince those friends to join me here, and at the same time they're trying to get me back into the old type of RP... but i don't think i'll go back anymore.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?

I started RPing on a kids forum called BeTweenTalk. The RPs were unprofessional as hell - there was no distinction between IC and OOC, SUs were a joke, posts were usually really short (most of the time conversations between player characters were done though small sentence posts and discussed with VMs). Ah, those were the good times.

Also the one thing I dislike about RPing is that it includes GP

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years

My older brother introduced me to the idea, I suppose. When we were in elementary school, he made up this game where we played as kids who could transform into mythical creatures we called Dragon's Domain for reasons related to the plot. Gameplay was essentially us and a bunch of our friends would run around the field behind the school and pretend to fight enemies, but I enjoyed it. He also got me into reading, introducing me to series like Animorphs and Pendragon. Around the time I entered middle school, I decided I wanted to create stories like those myself, and started writing. Dragon's Domain died when I left elementary, but it was the seed for my love of RPGs, the craving for which I satisfied with things like Pokemon and Oblivion. I don't remember exactly how I discovered that online, text-based roleplaying was a thing, but I was quickly drawn to it as it combined two of my favorite things. I started on this one site that was actually more heavily structured than PC, but I found it difficult to keep up with the other writers and I looked for another place. After passing over one other site, I found PC's RPC (which I'd somehow missed when I lurked on PC before for ROM hacking). I liked it and so I stayed.

As for likes/dislikes, while I already enjoyed writing, the main reason I enjoy roleplaying so much more is as Ash_Ketchum123 said: It may not turn out what you wanted it to be, but it might be better. I love the unpredictability of these stories, which is thanks to all the different minds that come together to make it. What I dislike is how much time you need to devote to it, which why I think so many roleplays stagnate and die. Life happens, and people don't have time to roleplay anymore.

Gray-_-Hatred

Choose how you live
    Years
    It was a few years ago. I randomly joined some chat group and two other people were rp fighting eachother. It looked like it was fun, so I gave it ago. That was way back when I was like 13. From then to now, I molded myself, becoming even greater than I already was. I like when there's Action, Drama, And Romance, And I dislike it when people use 1 or 2 lined sentences. It's boring, and there's no detail.

How do you all deal with the feeling of defeat and failure in RPs? When I'm fighting somebody and I'm defeated, I feel a sense of shame and gratitude. The fact that somebody was skilled enough to defeat me just shows I was lacking in some sort of way. But that rarely happens. I'm too powerful and confident in myself. I'm not a god modder though, so get that out of you're head. It just requires strategic planning and thinking outside of the box to out-do me. A play on words is needed. I take rp fighting seriously, And I do know when to concede. Just making that happen is pretty hard. Though you're welcome to try me if you feel... I'm all talk... Heh.

What is the process you go through when creating a new RP?
    I always think of a way to create conflict and include fighting in some sort of way, whether it be a full on physical fight, or an argument. I find peace rather... Boring.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Huh, I don't feel like I badly need to win IC battles. Only if it fits with my character to really fight hard and not give up. It's intriguing to have your character deal with loss and defeat too. My character isn't me - if they lose a fight, it's not I who is weak or anything like that :p

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't write my characters to be immortal badasses, so I'm totally fine with them losing. Emmett in gunpowder is actually one of the less compotent characters in the RP, and I don't think I let him win any fight up till now.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I always win. Can't help it, I'm just that awesome n____n.

Nah I kid, having a character lose is normally way more interesting for character building than winning, I find. Wins, unless they are very close fights, get a little samey and there's less suspense.

So does anyone use the interview thread to help get to grips with their character? I think I'm gonna answer some on Kariyai to flesh out my own ideas... although maybe in private as I'm not sure how much I want to give away?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Haii. Did anyone actually use the Roleplay Library? Just curious.

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Do you guys ever read RP's your not part of yourself?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I've only really began regularly visiting this site for about 3 weeks now, but in the long run I plan to. I suppose the beauty of RPs is you can join the story, which makes them more fun than a regular book, that is just for the purpose of reading

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • oh I assume that means the Library was shut down. again.

didn't actually notice this time oops

I barely read the ones I'm in

Years
  • Do you guys ever read RP's that you're not part of yourself?

I only read the RP's that interest me. And if they interest me, I try to join them. So, the answer is no. I sometimes read them if I've been rejected, (which rarely happens, oddly. People must like me.) but often don't, since I direct my attention to other threads.

Also, I don't like joining existing threads. I like to get in at the beginning. Otherwise I feel like the awkward new guy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back