• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gold > Ethan

Gold to Ethan

• I Love the idea!

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Why would they do such a thing?

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • I don't care...

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    For me the name is the same, all the times that i play pkmn i name the character like myself =P, in the other hand the design of Gold beats the one of Ethan (altought Gold looks like a improved Joey haha), but i prefer Gold instead Ethan (and is not for nostalgic, i prefer the old versions where the game was a "GOLD" haha).

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    Ethan was my ex-boyfriend's name. I almost killed someone when I found out that he was my new best friend. ;n;

Gold is better in my mind.
    Haha that must be kinda weird, having Ethan calling ones in a while.

Gold is just what we are used to, but I don't mind the name Ethan, but what I do mind is his weird fashion of choice.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    If you don't mind swearing (its not that bad): https://i42.tinypic.com/2w2ooba.jpg

Gold is better

Gold > Ethan

i loved that picture, and if you think about it, everything about it is true. Gold used to be such a...well, used to be much more cool than he is now. actually...he's not Gold anymore, so it doesn't matter. lol

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Oh, and would you rather be named Red or Ashley, which is what Ash is probably short for since, despite popular belief, is a duel gender name.
    Ash is a real name, actually. The character's named after the tree, like other anime characters.

I really don't mind the change between the characters. I grew up with Gold, and he's the game protagonist I remember the most. The style of art is just the typical change that artists go through (like other Sugimori art), and the new form of the male Johto protagonist shows that.

I just don't like the name Ethan because it reminds me too much of work. So when I read the name here, I think about someone I work with, which is not something I want to do.

At any rate, I named the character a different name entirely because one can do that. So it's not a big thing to me. I just think of him as Tetsuo (the name I gave the character) instead of as Gold or Ethan.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I don't particularly care, although I'm far more used to Gold than Ethan, but that's only down to nostalgia and such. I can see why they changed it as Ethan as a name is more realistic than Gold.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Lawl nostalgia
    HGSS has a bad habit of doing that oAo

I prefer the name Gold over Ethan, and Ethan's design more.
    except some cool cargo shorts woulda been better
    I hear they're comfy and easy to wear :3

Etahn just isn't very fitting IMO but w/e

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I think it was to avoid confusion suggesting that Gold = Heart
    When in reality they did something "What the heck?" confusing.
    Then again, who names a boy Heart? You want a name worse than Gold for a boy, try Heart!

Normally you'd think

Ethan = Gold = Heart
    Because...well...HeartGold

and as a result,
    Lyra = Soul

But, no.. it doesn't make sense like that. It's just different.

Lyra = Heart = Crystal
    Ethan = Soul = Gold

Proof sourced on Bulbapedia
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lyra_(game)
    (Trivia section)
    Much like Silver received the fan name "Kamon" from the list of Ethan's names in Pokémon Silver for discerning purposes, Lyra was known by much of the fandom as "Soul", following the precedent of Red's female counterpart introduced in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen. Interestingly, Ethan was the only one who appeared in-game in demos with the name Soul: Lyra's name was in fact "Heart" (though likewise, Leaf was a default name for Red in LeafGreen, and Fire and Red default names for Leaf in FireRed).

Spread the word people. It's starting to irk me that everyone is still calling Lyra Soul. xD

Years
    I hate that they changed his name to Ethan. Gold was a better name, in fact I named my male character Gold in my HG.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Ethan is a smooth customer who dresses with some class and style. He's not afraid to keep it neat and doesn't feel obligated to appease the masses with manly loose fitting clothing. Ethan is the kind of guy who is comfortable with who he is and his skills with his pokemon and knows how to keep punks like Gold in their place.

Ethan's Journal. January 12th, 2010
    Bidoof carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth with all their cargo shorts and blue vests will foam up about their waists and all the Golds and Reds will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "No."

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    It dosn't really matter to me because I always name my characters after myself. What I really want to complain about is that "The Corrupt Plague" Won't fit because of that stupid 6 character name limit and I always have to improvise by shortening it to "CP".

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    I like the fact that they decided to use an actual name instead of being like, "my parents named me gold, im so cool" beat up in school much?
    I dont like the fact the kid's name is ethan, makes him sound like a goober
    I understand that while people name their person gold cause they are slaves to the manga, or cause they are like "default names! how unique! i think ill name my char that"

Years
    I like the name Ethan, but not because it's my name. I'm sure Ethan means firmness and long lived which could also mean the description for the element Gold. While this might me off-topic I prefer Lyra over Kris. I'll tell why in a different thread probably.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Gold a hell lot better than Ethan. or any other original name . but Manga isntold will always be Gold(and I am gold anyway)

On another note, there are also real live people who are called violet, or ruby so wht not gold? In germany theres an actors son whose name is Jimi Blue as first names

Team_SJK

Son of Arceus
    Years
    It dosn't really matter to me because I always name my characters after myself. What I really want to complain about is that "The Corrupt Plague" Won't fit because of that stupid 6 character name limit and I always have to improvise by shortening it to "CP".

You're not alone: I hate the 6-character limit too. I just can't fit a more-than-decent name in the space allotted.

Hey, I just got an idea for you: How about just "Plague" as a name? Or does that not sound right to you? Either way, you would still be cruising under the character limit.

Back