• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google Chrome OS

Will you be using Google Chrome OS when it is released?

• Yes, definately!

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Possibly....

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No, I don't think so.

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

BenRK

That One Guy!
Years
  • Firefox is better then both, what's your point? Lets not turn this into a web browser war and keep relatively on topic.

Google's making an operating system using cues from their web browser and making it primarily web based.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Why? XD Safari 4 on Mac is faaaar superior to Chrome~
    Probably personal preference. Chrome is supposedly faster than Firefox, but I prefer Firefox over Chrome.

Firefox is better then both
    Sounds like you're turning it into a browser war. There's no browser that's really better than any other, persay. It's really just a matter of choice, these days; they're all pretty high quality. I only use Firefox because I like the UI and the addons.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
  • I hope we can limit the browser war in this thread, we're focusing on the OS that Google is currently developing which is apparently named "Chrome OS" (So it possibly uses Chrome as the web browser, considering its release on Linux months ago.) I'm a little excited to see how it will perform, not really how it looks. Also, focusing only on web applications might cause the end user to see an improvement in things like JavaScript and rendering engines. Maybe because of this, Flash will work better on UNIX and other UNIX-like operating systems? :)

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
  • I hope we can limit the browser war in this thread, we're focusing on the OS that Google is currently developing which is apparently named "Chrome OS" (So it possibly uses Chrome as the web browser, considering its release on Linux months ago.) I'm a little excited to see how it will perform, not really how it looks. Also, focusing only on web applications might cause the end user to see an improvement in things like JavaScript and rendering engines. Maybe because of this, Flash will work better on UNIX and other UNIX-like operating systems? :)

not realy, it will be better but you still have to update all the little compnents for better security.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
  • not realy, it will be better but you still have to update all the little compnents for better security.
    Uh, I don't quite understand what you mean. What statement were you replying to? I was just saying that since Chrome OS focuses on the internet and nothing else really, I think hope we might see improvements in the chrome browser and possibly in making the internet more streamlined (thorugh improving web rendering, plugins, javascript engines, etc.). Just my two cents.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Tried it out today.
    Pretty lame stuff :\ It's aimed at netbooks... but requires an always on internet connection to use in *any* capacity; you can't even login to your computer without internet.

twocows

Years
  • The more I hear about it, the less interested I become. Except that story on /. that said they might offer free netbooks with their free OS; even I won't turn down free computers. I'd rather have a netbook using a lightweight Linux distro or something, though. I don't like cloud computing, and this feels like that taken to a radical extreme. I'm not online 100% of the time, nor do I want to be.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Heck, I'm not sure that I'd like to trust my data with Google. Sure, I use a Gmail account as my primary email, but that's about it. Plus, I sync all of my data with my computer using Google Gears. However, an OS based upon the internet can be potentialy hazardous, since most of the time I can't gain access to the Net in school, which would mess up my productivity.

Not to mention, I prefer having a netbook with Mac OS X on it.

Years
  • A new OS? For free? A chance to escape vista? FINALLY!
    You're kidding me. There's been free Operating Systems forever. There's a plethora of Linux distros to choose from, but keep in mind, nothing other than Windows can natively run Windows code.

What do you mean "the first" Vista? If you haven't downloaded the service packs, I strongly suggest that you do so.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011

I doubt it would increase awareness, a majority of people are stupid and will think that Google "made" their own OS
    i think i'm also one of those stupid people. :( lol.
    so this is the same as linux? then im probably not downloading it ..

Poké!

And as the world ends...
    Years
  • I may test it sometime, but I will probably not be getting it for keeps. And actually, it's apparently called "Chromium OS". Or so says a Google Site. Link.

I'll probably just get a laptop with Windows 7 early into next year. Depends on what my dad is willing to do.

Years
  • Actually, Chromium came before Chrome. So judging by that site, we'll not only see Chrome OS, but Chromium OS in the near future. I will be getting Chromium OS, like with Chromium. Read Chrome's EULA, everything you do, emails you send, becomes Google's property. Not the same with Chromium. But yeah, I'll definitely check it out. I mean with Google making an OS, the possibility of actual programs for Linux that aren't open source rises. Here's hoping for photoshop running on linux!

twocows

Years
  • Actually, Chromium came before Chrome. So judging by that site, we'll not only see Chrome OS, but Chromium OS in the near future. I will be getting Chromium OS, like with Chromium. Read Chrome's EULA, everything you do, emails you send, becomes Google's property. Not the same with Chromium. But yeah, I'll definitely check it out. I mean with Google making an OS, the possibility of actual programs for Linux that aren't open source rises. Here's hoping for photoshop running on linux!
    Hah, no. Google is making Chrome OS, and I'm sure they'll keep it locked down nice and tight. Chromium is a separate project from Chrome; Google has control of Chrome, and they'll be making the OS from that. There won't be any other version.

And you can already run Photoshop on Linux. It's called WINE.

Back