• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google+, Facebook killer?

Years
    *goes to look*

I doubt it'll over take facebook, *****y high school girls still need a place to whine about boyfriends and other girls ;D
    But like twitter a few people will migrate and i expect it to have its own circle of people see what i did thar I doubt i'll migrate to it but i'll certainly be checking it out. This Sparks and Circles thing intrigues me.

EDIT: I just checked out some of the pictrues
    Spoiler:

Anybody else feel a lawsuit coming on?

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
    Looks better than FB, but FB is so dominant, even with Google's massive power (search engine, youtube, images, maps, videos, android) it won't be able to take over
    If it becomes moderately popular, then Zuckerberg will sue though...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I wondered why the top bar was red and black all of the sudden.

I'm not exactly sure if this would bump Facebook aside for it to be popular. Facebook right now is too popular for it to fade away. Looking at the pics and the article, it looks great. But I'm not sure if it'll last long.

They're only signing up people by invitation, so I'm putting my name in the hat.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I heard about this earlier on the radio.

The main concept it seems to have over Facebook is the Circles thing, which is where you can allow a specific group of friends only to see your posts or statuses or etc. One nice little group privacy option which Facebook is missing, imo.

I haven't used it yet so I don't know how it looks but from the sounds of it, it's really similar to Facebook. Assuming Google don't get sued or whatever for it, I can imagine it working brilliantly. If it gets the users.

One thing, does it have a chat? If not then it can say goodbye to ever coming anywhere near Facebook. yeah, it does.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
    Years
    I found about it on the latest xkcd comic.

The reason I'll migrate is exactly the same as xkcd.

Oh btw, anybody has invites? Please send me one T_T

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Only google is sending invites right now and as of right now their full, hopefully they'll roll out a bigger test soon. Alot of people are complaining about how it is invite only right now, saying its a dumb move and might kill Google+ before it takes off. But i believe its a marketing strategy, being closed like this everyone wants to join, its building up massive hype and publicity. My prediction is that in a few days google will open it up to anyone so that anyone who wanted to join will do so, and they will have a massive amount of people jump on board :P Brilliant if you think about it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    I admit it looks a tad interesting, albeit it is a stale approach by Google in my opinion. The prevalent social networking site, prominent to millions perhaps billions of users worldwide is and will be Facebook. I can't see it losing its 'social throne' to a networking project which basically is similar in all aspects with a few tweaks, new architecture, and new design.

People will definitely want to try out Google+, but I believe it would be a short matter of time until they realize the similarities in purpose and application. I may be wrong. People may deactivate their FB account and commit to Google and its project. But in all cases, I'd want to at least try it out before throwing out assumptions.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Ah, Google loves to collect information... them having a social-networking site concerns me.

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Once upon a time, there was a time MySpace was ever so popular that no one thought it would fade. Then, a little something called Facebook came around. It was small, not everyone knew about it, but it eventually started to attract people's attention. Google is going in the right direction with this, and if they offer more features that Facebook doesn't include (which so far some of what is shown looks great), then people will be attracted to it and they'll eventually convert. The more people that convert, and the more things that people find attracting enough to join and use, friends and family will follow along.

It's going to take a little time before it becomes popular like Facebook did when MySpace was dominant, but I think if Google plays its cards right with this, it'll be a success for them. Then, Facebook will undergo the same story MySpace went through. I'm not saying its set in stone to happen like this of course, but I'm just saying, it's very much possible that Google+ could overtake Facebook within time. It's not like it'll happen overnight.

My only nitpick: the name. Couldn't they have thought up something better than Google+? :\

If I do one day join Google+ though, then I'll probably use it a lot more than I touch Facebook given I use Google for so much already.

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    The Reason they went with google+ is it was originally supposed to just be an extension of google

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013

The main concept it seems to have over Facebook is the Circles thing, which is where you can allow a specific group of friends only to see your posts or statuses or etc. One nice little group privacy option which Facebook is missing, imo.

Facebook definitely does have that. They're called Friend Lists. Click "Friends" on the left hand side, then "Manage Friends" at the top right, then "Create a list".

That said, Google+ is pretty neat. I hope it doesn't die out like Buzz did.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Google+ looks good from the users screenshots, I think it will do very well :)

Too bad I'm not on it yet

Years
    Facebook definitely does have that. They're called Friend Lists. Click "Friends" on the left hand side, then "Manage Friends" at the top right, then "Create a list".

That said, Google+ is pretty neat. I hope it doesn't die out like Buzz did.

I'm hoping for Google's ability to design interfaces to move across, considering Facebook is still awkward for a lot of things. Chat, I'm looking at you :P

I'll give it a shot, just so I can be one of "people from the beginning". Considering I joined Facebook late, out of protest. Not that I expect it to succeed, however.

Facebook is bigger than MySpace ever was. Not to mention that it has two major factors to keep it in the top spot. The first is the support from the internet in general. You can sign into so many places with Facebook, there's Apps for almost every mobile platform, etc, etc. Also, one aspect where MySpace failed was that it was overrun with a childish stigma (I'm not refuting that, lol), so you had very few adults join. On the other hand, I'm sure that many of your parents use Facebook, whereas they would have avoided MySpace. Now I'm not saying that Google+ won't have the mature and polished reputation that Facebook has, but the key point is that older audience. The older you get, the less keen you are to adapt to change, especially when you don't see a good reason. As such, a larger chunk of Facebook's member-base will be inclined to stay put, compared to that of other social networking services.

If they really want to succeed, they're REALLY going to have to push it and make it flatten Facebook without just giving them ideas to copy. They not only need to make changing the obvious choice, but members need to have nothing to lose. This means the ability to retain friends from Facebook and really just to avoid missing out on anything.

Did anyone else notice how much it sounds like Googleplex/googolplex?

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    At the moment I'm testing Google Plus, I like the circles idea on Google+ :)

So in your opinion, is it better than facebook? and i also heard that sometimes current users can invite people to join, have you tried that yet?

Zet

Years
    Ah, Google loves to collect information... with apparently good intentions, but I have to admit — them having a social-networking site concerns me in some way.

> Implying other social networking sites don't collect your information.

Honestly, I really hope Google can make a break with social networking this time considering both Google Buzz and Wave have been a flop and died fast.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    > Implying other social networking sites don't collect your information.
    Though of course the likes of Facebook also concern me, Google is far more than a social networking site.

Last edited:

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Heck no, Facebook is way to big. So, I don't something new would take it over.

Back