• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GP's Art

Years
  • You're not a bad spriter when I look at the first post.
    Mostly the problem is the shading and the anatomy..
    Best way to master those 2 skills are revamping and reshading an original sprite.
    You like gyrados, so grab a gyrados sprite, and make his outline black, then make the rest of his colours white and start reshading the sprite, the first tries it will look kinda strange, but after a while you see your getting better, and that way you can make a totally new scratch sprite with nice shading.
    For revamping you should fix the anatomy and shade the sprite, you will notice that after revamping a couple of times you´ll get better, that way you might find itt easier to sprite scratch sprites.
    To be honest I haven´t revamped much when I just started, but it´s really a great help trust me.

And your scratch avalact, the first one is better then the edit btw, why ?
    The second is too much pillowshaded, it makes it look awkward, no black outline is bad for fakemon sprites.
    So best thing you should do, is refix the shading and add some black outline on the parts where the darkest shading is.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011

Carbon (Yes, I am a Carbon Spriter, if my subname does not suggest that...)

This is technically a fusion between gyarados and milotic, but nothing is derived from prexisting sprites except the color pallette. This is my first presentable scratch. Took around two hours to get it to the form it's in now. I know the outlining is a bit thick, and the shading is a bit weird, but i wanted it to look "scaly".

Milodos.png

Milodos- Beautiful Dragon Pokemon
    Water/Flying

There is only one of these Pokemon known to exist.
    It is said to be so beautiful, all are compelled to stare
    at it, unable to look away.

Humsaw.png

Humsaw- Blade Beak Pokemon
    Flying/Steel

Humsaw must beat its wings a hundred times a second
    to support the weight of its large beak. This Pokemon
    keeps its beak sharp by running it against tree sides.

Luvfin.png

Luvfin (Heart shaped Pokemon)
    Water

Luvfin, the evolved form of Luvdisk, live only in the warm tropic waters
    that surround Floridian Island. These Pokemon have such a cute charm,
    they can make people fall in love with the first person they see.

Avelect.png
    (My original)
    attachment.php
    (edit by fantomix)
    Avelect (Static Bird Pokemon)
    Flying/Electric

Avelect's wings are always positively charged, resulting in these
    Pokemon being unable to fly near eachother without being buffeted
    in the opposite direction. Avelect's static wings also absorb electricity.

Spinum.png

Spinum- Spinning Pokemon
    Steel

Spinum have been clocked at speeds over one hundred
    miles an hour. This Pokemon's organs are magnetically
    held in place in its body so it never becomes dizzy.

Sparkrust.png

Sparkrust (Rusty Ball Pokemon)
    Electric/Steel

Voltorb have been found throughout the Grotto region that
    have not evolved into Electrode. These old rusty Voltorb are
    instable, so electric items are magnetically pulled to them.

Santoki.png

Santoki (Mountain Rabbit Pokemon)
    Normal

Santoki are spirited little Pokemon that bounce around on
    their spring-like tails. This Pokemon relys on echo vision to
    see and hear, since they are all born blind.

Chickabee.png

Chickabee (Lilttle Helper Pokemon)
    Flying/Ice

Chickabee line the postal station, carrying around packages and
    letters to place in the correct P.O. boxes. These little pokemon
    aspire to one day leave the post station to deliver like a Delibird.

Antwerp.png

Antwerp (Little Ant Pokemon)
    Bug/Ground

Antwerp work day and night preparing a feast for the
    queen Aviant. These little Pokemon are very strong, able
    to lift twenty times their weight.

Aviant.png

Aviant (Queen Ant Pokemon)
    Bug/Flying

Aviant spends much of it's time eating the feast prepared
    by the Antwerps. She becomes very fat, resulting in a loss
    of flight because her wings can't support her weight.

Scorchant.png

Torchant (Fire Ant Pokemon)
    Bug/Fire

Torchants assemble immediately if a threat to the queen
    Aviant is brought upon. These Pokemon will fight viciously
    to protect their queen Aviant, as well as weaker Antwerps.

5369eed34e2710aa498e65ab53cdf8d2.png

Wraithoreon (Dark Ray Pokemon)
    Ghost/Dark

This is a VERY bad one that i had made for a friend. I do not
    really know his pokedex entry, or much info on him. PLEASE
    do not steal him!!! (not that anyone would want to anyhow...)

Orelec.png

Orelec- Iron Cat Pokemon
    Steel/Electric

Released from the bonds that held it for thousands of
    years, Orelec roams the world avoiding humans as much
    as possible. It can create thunder storms in an instant.

Oreod.png

Oreod- Iron Cat Pokemon
    Steel/Fire

Oreod is a Pokemon blinded by hatred of humans.
    It roams the world burning down towns and the
    homes of any people it comes upon.

Although there are a lot of nice pieces of work here, they mostly seem to be linked by the same problems. Perspective, anatomy, shading. Try to study the offical shading style more, especially on the rounder pokemon, also try looking at the wing anatomy of other sprites (HUmsaw looks very flat and peculiar.) However a lot of the designs are coming along well, the milotic type pokemon for instance is starting to really take form.

Keep it up.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Man, your sprites are good!
    Sorry, i would give criticism but other people covered every thing I wanted to say!

Anyways,
    Keep Spriting!>
    Keep_Spriting_Gyarados.png

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • WOW! Thanks everyone! (hmm... it's amazing what a little advertising will do...) I really appreciate all your replies! I cant wait to get started on your suggestions!

The fossil is pretty neat, but I have no clue about anatomy. I'm not sure if all of that would fossilize in the same way. I know it's just a little sprite but you might wanna look up the way the bones would probably lay. Like his eye sockets would be hollow, and the whiskers might now have actual bone in them.
    I guess the colors are right but it just doesn't give off that "boney" feel. Perhaps a different way of shading?

I do like the ground though. xD It looks just like spray paint but it's nice.

Hmmm...like you said, it was only a little sprite... it was originally supposed to be for the halloween contest, as a skeleton, but then i didn't make him all ribby.. instead, i left him petrified in stone. oh... the background soil is the spray paint tool...

You're not a bad spriter when I look at the first post.
    Mostly the problem is the shading and the anatomy..
    Best way to master those 2 skills are revamping and reshading an original sprite.
    You like gyrados, so grab a gyrados sprite, and make his outline black, then make the rest of his colours white and start reshading the sprite, the first tries it will look kinda strange, but after a while you see your getting better, and that way you can make a totally new scratch sprite with nice shading.
    For revamping you should fix the anatomy and shade the sprite, you will notice that after revamping a couple of times you´ll get better, that way you might find itt easier to sprite scratch sprites.
    To be honest I haven´t revamped much when I just started, but it´s really a great help trust me.

And your scratch avalact, the first one is better then the edit btw, why ?
    The second is too much pillowshaded, it makes it look awkward, no black outline is bad for fakemon sprites.
    So best thing you should do, is refix the shading and add some black outline on the parts where the darkest shading is.

I already started! Taking out all the color was hard to do... it took a lot of time i should say... it wasnt "hard". im gonna start working on it.

P1.png
    P2.png

Although there are a lot of nice pieces of work here, they mostly seem to be linked by the same problems. Perspective, anatomy, shading. Try to study the offical shading style more, especially on the rounder pokemon, also try looking at the wing anatomy of other sprites (HUmsaw looks very flat and peculiar.) However a lot of the designs are coming along well, the milotic type pokemon for instance is starting to really take form.

Hmm... i see what ya mean, i figured it myself...
    I see how the bright spot is always in the south east, but determining what is supposed to be brightened is hard. i also have trouble figuring where to put the dark spots that are shaddows from apendiges, like gyarados' crest, i am not sure how i would do that...
    i know that the round pokemon are my worst, they have very "blocky" shading... and it looks bad... i think i might have a fix to that using the circle tool...unless you guys have any suggestions...

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • fine... this is technically my first sprites...
    Hot_Shot.png

yeah, there's no shading, or anyother real elements, but they are scratched from nothing... not too bad for a first timer!

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • yep! those are hot shot, the cocky racecar transformer! i hope to death that he's in the new movie... there's nothing cooler than hearing chicago accent demanding, "show me what ya got!"

>sigh< i really do hope he's in the new movie, since they killed off jazz... :(

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • yeah... i gave the trophy a wood shelf background, with a spot light black wall... thanks again for letting me use it darkwiz!

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Barack_Obama_Sprite.png

This has been a truly magnificant moment in the history of the United States. Forty years ago, a southern black preacher stood on the steps of the most powerful city in the world. He sang out, "I have a dream! All men will be equal!" Forty years later, that dream has been carried through the generations to a pivotal moment. Congradulations to President Barack Obama, for not only becoming the first African American President in our proud nations history, but for proving to all, that if you have a dream, there is no one stopping you from obtaining except yourself!

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Uh, well, it looks nothing like Obama. You can't just take a random person with dark skin and call them Obama. He does have facial features that are blatantly absent from this sprite.

As for the actual design, the arm is pretty choppy, and the hand looks pretty unnatural. (Rubbery, that's how I'd put it). He looks like he's about to give a high 5 to the color palette, and it's distracting to say the least.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • ... thanks alot... but what the heck, your right >sigh<
    i honestly made it in like three minutes... and the arm is scratched in most parts, while the rest of the sprite is based on my rp character lance layer...
    Obama.png

...i did make his mole thingy by his nose ^_^

It just doesnt look as good zoomed out like i have it...

Last edited:

Zorin

Pixies Dance
    Years
  • Your fakemon aren't bad at all, the designs are pretty cool. There are some things you have to work on though, especially the shading and outlining. I suggest making some revamps, (REAL revamps) with custom shading etc.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • ahh... so your the first one to catch that! i did not redo the shading, as when i first made em, i was still a beginner... i really have to need to go back now and redo them. but thanks for the suggestion anyhow ^_^

as for the shading, i have been playing around alot, and have determined that i am getting better. i will post newly done stuff when i feel like it... for now, you'll all just have to wait...

Se Ya!

Craftsman.png

Something i found amidst all my files... it's nascar lance layer, in the #64 roush racing craftsman ford! lol... theyre not the greatest, but they are still pretty neat...

here's the custom tile template i made for them!
    tile_nascar.png

Last edited:
    Back