• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grammar.

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2024
    Do you generally try to use good grammar?

Yes. I'm still learning the fine tuning, but enough to get around.

Becuz tlkng lik ths is su nt col:D:laugh::cheeky:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Yes, I do enjoy using good grammar.
    It annoys me to no end when someone speaks in "1337" or "cht-spk". I mean really, what on earth is the point of talking like that?

Then again, I suppose I may take it a little further than that as well. It often irks me when someone misspells something or doesn't punctuate correctly. Heck, sometimes I get worked up if they leave a simple linking word out of their sentences. I often look at their age and am quite surprised to find that they are of a rather mature age. It really makes me wonder what these people learned during their years of education...
    (Of course, if English is not their native language, then that is perfectly understandable.)

Well, that was my mini-rant. I do hope you enjoyed it!
    (Well, if you read it.)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Obviously, and even as a staff member I feel I have to have perfect grammar at times. So yes, I try to do the best I can when it comes to grammar. I'm by no means perfect, but I think it's sufficient to understand and read without problems.

Do I absolutely despise people that make mistakes? Not at all, and a good portion of this forum isn't English. Leet speak? Another ball game I generally dislike. <_<;

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2024
    Then again, I suppose I may take it a little further than that as well. It often irks me when someone misspells something or doesn't punctuate correctly. Heck, sometimes I get worked up if they leave a simple linking word out of their sentences.
    (Well, if you read it.)
    Agreed, but what if it was a simple typo?

/defeat'd.

Last edited:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Typos are something that can't really be helped. It happens to us all considering we are all human. Also with being human comes misunderstanding situations, and therefore a simple typo could be viewed as bad grammar at times.

I suppose you do have a point there, PA.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
    I always try. I do say brb, lol, stuff like that but I mostly practice good language skill as much as possible.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Do you generally try to use good grammar?

Yes. I'm still learning the fine tuning, but enough to get around.

Becuz tlkng lik ths is su nt col:D:laugh::cheeky:

I found a grammatical error before even going in this thread. Titles generally don't have periods in them and especially not the way you used it. Something else you fail to mention is that "tlkng lik ths" is spelling not grammar.

As for myself, I do try to type as best as I can. =)

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Well, I think using good grammar is better than sentences like: tht iz teh pwnzor!
    No, I don't like that.
    I may make a joke about it in Visitor Messages, but never posts.
    I might say pwns, pwnage, or pwned in posts, but never any other kind of grammatical error.

I used to actually use shortcuts like: u, r, kool, GL(Good Luck), etc.
    Not anymore though. I don't like that.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    I try to use good grammar in my posts, but I do slip up from time to time. I still use "lol", "xD", etc, but I don't really see those as bad grammar... just shortcuts, if you will.

As for cht-spk, I really don't see the point. I'll sometimes use it in VMs when I'm just fooling about, but that's it. I find it harder to type in cht-spk than proper english.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    I practice correct grammar as much as possible, whether in speech or text. Language is the primary way you convey your inner self: it should be treated with the respect it deserves, which means using it correctly.

Although I do say "pwn" and "lol" if necessary, and use smilies on occasion.

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2024
    I found a grammatical error before even going in this thread. Titles generally don't have periods in them and especially not the way you used it. Something else you fail to mention is that "tlkng lik ths" is spelling not grammar.

As for myself, I do try to type as best as I can. =)
    You know how high you just climbed the List of Doom? j/k

As I said before, I'm learning. So please, forgive me master.

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    Why yes old bean, i tend to keep my vocabulary and grammar most exquisite and indeed spiffing. That's a tad over the top :D.

I always try to use good grammar, although i do say "lol" and other abbreviations. Like most people have said, people who talk l1k3 th1$ (like this) REALLY annoy me. Half the time i have to concentrate and somehow decipher what on earth they are say.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I say lol on occasion, and I frequently use smilies. :D

I try to keep my grammar as good as possible, but I know it's never perfect. I find myself using a long run-on sentence once in a while. I despise people that use an overdose of chatspeak. Definitely 1337 speak, because it actually is harder to type out than proper english is, and definitely illegible and not worth it. No, I don't look down at people who make occasional typos or english mistakes. Not everyone has english as their native language, and everyone makes mistakes once in a while.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well, I don't use chatspeak, and I make some typos occasionally, albeit I'm not really the one to frown down on people for utilizing bad Grammar. As aforementioned by Kayashi, not everyone possesses English as their first language. I'm not really using 'xD' that much in my statements as of late.

On another note; I myself use smilies, it's just that typing in chat-speak is a separate thing.

EDIT: By the way, I used to use the Apple Safari browser, which has a built-in Grammar/Spelling check. But I discontinued the use of it, as it was hogging up my system space.

Last edited:

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I try to use the best grammar that I possibly can, but I know that I fail at it most of the time. XD Oh well, I'm better than I was in 2005. x_x;

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I try to use the best grammar that I possibly can, but I know that I fail at it most of the time. XD Oh well, I'm better than I was in 2005. x_x;

Yeah, my grammar was horrendous until sometime last year, so I can see where you're coming from. I don't recall what occurred, but it benefited greatly.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I use grammar where appropriate, all the way down to em dashes and semi-colons. I don't try to practice good grammar per se, it's second nature in me as I'd expect it to be in anyone else.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I like to use good grammar, but I don't go out of my way to make it look perfect. I don't care if I accidentally leave a typo somewhere, though I still correct it if I find it.

That also goes for what other people type. Though if it's painfully obvious that someone is trying to mispell intentionally, I get a little peeved. This of course doesn't apply if said person is trying to be funny with it(ie. as the thread starter did, XD), or if said person's first language is not English, and s/he is making an honest effort.

Back