• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grammar.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I use excellent grammar,I may use a little of the IM language,but not much.

Candy Christina

poseidon's tsunami
    Years
    I tend to just naturally use good grammar. Not trying to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but....yeah. If I do find a mistake that I made, I have to change it ASAP. I'm really uptight about it I guess.

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
    Years
    I use good grammar mostly everyday in my life and I think it may be because I go to college and take those speech classes in which helps me talk/write better. Also I had to use good grammar when I had to write my resume in order to get my job at B&N.

Although I don't really much use good grammar when talking to friends because we have our own way of talking and its not all gangster like "yo wassup playa wats crakin' like its hot shawty oh foo shizzle mi nizzlee homie slice nika plz" its a normal way in which we dont use big confusing words.

As for talking in the internet, in the game i play called 'Rumble Fighter' there's no need for me to talk with good grammar since most prayers are always cursing and saying "Lawlz u nub u suk mangos" but yeah thats how most games are.
    Here in PC you have to talk in a good way though and I guess some of us have had our newbie days when we used to talk like this "HI EVERYONE IM KNEW HEERE HOWS IT GOING!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" not to mention the over use of smileys hehe.
    But yes good grammar is the key to success.

Confuse

the points never matter
    Years
    Yes, of course I do my best. Though, I do type:
    • words ending in -ing as -in'
    • because as 'cause
    since that's how I talk in real life. When I see fellow forum members use good grammar, I have more respect for them. Shows me that they take the time to use good grammar in their posts.

But I do take shortcuts when talkin' on AIM.

Zetta-Chan

Shuckle Is A Goofy Goober. :D
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    I take pride in using correct grammar, even if it makes me check over my sentences over and over again. When people post in all caps or leet, (L1K3 TH15) it annoys me to no end. *Sigh* just take your time and write what you want to. (TH4T M34N5 Y0U L33T3RS).

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    I generally try and use good grammer, but I really do suck :/. If I see a simple mistake I'll fix it, but I won't re-word a entire post...Too lazy :P
    When I'm reading other people's writing I don't mind too much as long as it shows a small amount of common sense.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Run-on sentences annoy me. I just don't want to have to go and read this really long [should it even be called a sentence?] line of words that someone posted and was too lazy to go back and fix. And I don't understand texting. What is the point? Phones are for TALKING. Sheesh.

I tend to use good grammar on the 'net, because, if I don't people probably wouldn't understand me or take me seriously.

Roy G. Biv

KHAAAAAN!
    Years
    I do try to use the proper grammar unless I'm purposely talking like a n00b. Apparently I'm pretty good at that >_<;;

Bleuhorn

The Space Cowboy.
    Years
    I have been using near-perfect grammar ever since I taught myself in a two-week period of late 1996. Almost always would I make an effort to 100% on each English Literature, World History, Mythology, US History, European History and many other classes involving correct spelling and grammar. These are some of the reasons why I was allowed to teach a few literary classes back in highschool (approximately 2 1/2 years ago, Senior year) Plus, the fact that I have been known to be exceedingly well at emphasizing words, keeping most students interested in the subject.

However, despite the relentless writing and vocabulary, I will admit that I'm not satisfied... So I do believe that I need to learn much more to further my expertise.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Do you generally try to use good grammar?

Yes. I'm still learning the fine tuning, but enough to get around.

Becuz tlkng lik ths is su nt col:D:laugh::cheeky:

I remember when you did type like that. I also remember when you couldn't figure out what a comma is. Good times.

Meh, I normally use good grammar on the internet. I'll always spell words properly, but my grammar can fall to pieces if I'm too lazy to type properly, sleep-deprived or with a close group of friends because I know they know that I'm literate. I have a problem with run-on sentences and I use certain words way too much, but that's about my only problem. I don't need a spellchecker nor do I need to look over my posts. My grammar skills just come naturally to me.

When I read the posts belonging to people who type in 1337 speak, I'm pretty indifferent. Probably because I'm fluent in 1337 speak and I have no problem decoding what someone is saying. I never force people to use proper grammar unless I know they won't take offence, 'cause, you know, it's rude. I've always seen making people use proper grammar as a similar case to forcing one's religion on another. It's just irritating. If someone wants to type properly, that someone will do so. If not, let him/her be. It's a free country.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I first started out as using good grammar on websites and forums and then horrible grammar on MSN and other IM clients. XD Eventually, I began using better grammar over MSN so people could actually understand me.

Bad grammar is actually one of my pet peeves. Run on sentences are the killer, though; every time I see one of those I'm so tempted to quote them (if I'm on a forum) and just correct every single mistake, regardless of whether or not it would tick them off. XD;

Naturalistick

Used to do a little.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2008
    I don't mind acronyms, there's a point to them, flowing a message faster.

Now, this so called leetspeak or chatspeak is just straight down a new interpretation of masochism because it's not needed at all. Anyone can breeze through it, so it's pointless.

I for one always try to use good grammar. I'm not so fluent in 'fancy' vocabulary 'cause my natural language isn't english, but what matters is if I can get my points through or not.
    And with good usage of the language, I can.

Back