• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grass in towns. What's your stance?

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    I personally find it very tempting to put grass in towns, and I don't mind playing a hack with grass in towns as long as you're not forced to walk through it to get in and out of the town or Pokemon Center.

So, what's your opinion?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • Yeah, it's fine that way, but I find it annoying that n00bs add grass all over the place, like in front of houses. A ghost town or abandoned house would be fine (I might actually think of doing that actually...)

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Yeah, it's fine that way, but I find it annoying that n00bs add grass all over the place, like in front of houses. A ghost town or abandoned house would be fine (I might actually think of doing that actually...)

Excuse me while I steal this idea.

So this isn't spam, grass in towns is perfectly fine as long as it isn't wildy over done :/

Yah! I gave a few hackers ideas! With a ghost town or an abandoned house it would be kinda weird to NOT have tall grass. I mean, who would cut it? XD

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • I add grass into town, but I make Pokemon in general are very rare to find. It just makes sense that there will be long grass in a town, but with little Pokemon (but still some.)

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I don't agree with the idea of adding grass to a town, especially if wild Pokemon inhabit that grass. Unless of course there is a special reason, like some guy growing long grass in his back yard, for some absurdly awesome reason. I would say, no grass.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Firmly opposed.

Maybe, maybe you could get away with putting some in an inaccessible area (as a decorative touch) but even then, I still don't like the idea. It's too non-canon for my tastes.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm pretty much with colcolstyles on this one. The idea of towns is that it's a place that, after venturing through routes, caves or forests, to be able to rest and just chill out.

So yeah, I'm against the idea, even in unaccesible places.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Just put the grass in a specific area of thew city. Than the player can choose if they actually want to trek throught it. :P

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • W-w-wait there... Tall grass or normal grass...? There shouldn't be tall grass at all in a town. But normal grass would be okay as long as it isn't just grass. Add a path, flowers, ect. If it's all just grass then...

Years
  • Firmly opposed.

Maybe, maybe you could get away with putting some in an unaccessible area (as a decorative touch) but even then, I still don't like the idea. It's too non-canon for my tastes.

I have to agree. Even if they've done it in Black and White (I believe there's wild Pokemon catchable in White Forest, whether there's tall grass or not I'm unsure), it still seems wrong. Generally speaking it's never necessary, and if it's made necessary, it's probably used badly, from what I've seen when people do it.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • I agree that grass which contain Pokémon should be kept out of the towns/cities.
    These places are meant to be a safe haven for the Player and not swarming with Zigzagoons and Rattatas.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Yeah, there definitely should never ever be grass in towns, for all the previously stated reasons.

Firmly opposed.

Maybe, maybe you could get away with putting some in an unaccessible area (as a decorative touch) but even then, I still don't like the idea. It's too non-canon for my tastes.
    Same. People put it around the edges and stuff, and say it's natural, but you should be able to do natural mapping without it. (I'd say I'm a pretty good example of that... and I use the least natural tiles evar. lol)

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • I wasn't talking about FireRed and LeafGreen. I was talking about Gen I.

Ah. Then yes, you would be correct. However, from what I can tell, it doesn't appear that there are any data for wild pokémon in Generation I either (I don't have a red ROM so I'm basing this off of a good 60 seconds of walking in that patch on my real cartridge). Plus, the grass is there because it continues onto Route 1. I think the OP was asking about 1) having completely isolated patches of grass; and 2) having wild pokémon in a town, both of which I have yet to see done in an official Pokémon game.

Last edited:
    Back