• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grass in towns. What's your stance?

smellybellysrock

Legend Of Band Camp: You ready
Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    Well, if it's used right, it could definitely be a good thing.

And those pokemon hacks, (You know, where you're a pokemon?) tall grass and mega grass in towns is sorta a must have.

used right.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014
    I don't see why not, as long as it fits stylistically and you don't have to walk through it.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • In my Emerald Hack, I've added sections in some towns for grass where the Safari guy is blocking the way.
    It's good if done right, but if it's done randomly then it's rubbish.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • If it's a little farming town or a ghost town, maybe. other than that I vote no, none.

DisChineezBoi

graphical hacker-sucks at hex
    Years
  • Keep it to a minimum. If there's grass between paths and stuff it'll be fine but walking through grass to get around is bad. Look at what the original cities are like.

Keep it to a minimum. If there's grass between paths and stuff it'll be fine but walking through grass to get around is bad. Look at what the original cities are like.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    Grass in towns is absolutely, 100% unnecessary, no matter the case.

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • Firmly opposed.

Maybe, maybe you could get away with putting some in an inaccessible area (as a decorative touch) but even then, I still don't like the idea. It's too non-canon for my tastes.

OK, I don't like your argument at all. Too non-canon? Hacking is a way to express creativity, get away from the normal canon stuff. So, grass in towns would be fine for a guy who wants to express what he feels his game should be like. Though I do not plan on doing it in my hack, I find it fine. To get away from canon is why some hack.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    personally i feel that the grass should be at the outskirts of the town or city. somewhere between the route and the town or city

Years
  • If there isnt too much grass in the town, like maybe a few small patches then thats alright because then its so much quicker to return to the pokemon center.

Equin

Got it memorized?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Firmly opposed.

Maybe, maybe you could get away with putting some in an inaccessible area (as a decorative touch) but even then, I still don't like the idea. It's too non-canon for my tastes.
    I am having a very similar opinion with our Mod here, however, there is someplace that I think putting high grass might not be bad; daycare garden.
    You know, the duo that raised your pokemon and gave you breeding experience on RSE?

-It's inacessible
    -It has pokemon that look around
    -It looks better than a garden with flowers only, since it consists of the previous two reasons.

Other than that, yeah, no grass in Towns.

Fixed opinion: a smart idea might be some wild grass at the border of a Town, city, clearly within a path leading to wild grass on the next map. That gives you the chance of having different wild pokemon on it.

1UpedAngel

Some guy who's there
    Years
  • I'm new here, but honestly, grass in towns should REALLY be avoided. It just has no place, unless someone made something to where you could have alley ways, then you could have some Rattata or Zigzagoon, but that'd mean no grass still. It just doesn't work.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I get around having to use grass in towns by using wild pokemon scripts with randomizing stuff to make it SEEM like grass, and I put these scripts in the back alleys of big cities, and usually put pokemon you'd see in the cities of anime like meowth or snubble.

Actual grass, if done properly can look amazing in towns, IMO...

Years
  • The only places that I think it would be acceptable to have grass in a town would be right near the beginning or ending of a route, just as long as it provides a decent transition. For example, if a town is right beside a forest, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of grass on the edge of town. If the map is more of an urban setting, I think it would just be out of place and unappealing.

Back