• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grass in towns. What's your stance?

marcc5m

what
Years
  • I get real frustrated when people say something like ITS ANNOYING BLAH BLAH BLAH. Of course this grass would be in small patches and NOT BLOCKING ANYTHING.
    Also, somebody in a really old post said it didn´t make sense, and I have to say I totally disagree. It´s like saying there´s an invisible barrier preventing wild pokemon from entering. There are animals in all cities, even big ones, (pigeons, etc.) and even though grass is a bit awkard in some scenarios, like some genius above said, one could create different tiles.

Yeah not to mention the fact that grass never gets cut.
    A Town, as someone (too lazy to check) said, is supposed to be a safe place.
    So why would it be over-run with wild Pokemon? Also think of it from a more logical point of view (even though it's Pokemon); Pokemon are monsters, not animals. I mean it's okay when a monster pops out in a dangerous road where people are prepared, but come on, we're talking about the places where you go shopping!
    So grass is a nono :I

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    The idea is different and one Nintendo as far as I know, never dared to do...

I think it can work, but not in EVERY town, and mainly have it as a part of a park or someones back garden? Don't randomly place it like you would a route. But yes, I like the idea.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2011
    I like the idea, and think that more places in the games should do it, but with limitations. Obviously tall grass should not be in the way of centers, marts and other important areas. Short grass would look best around homes, parks, and other such places. Someone mentioned putting grass around an abandoned house or farm. That sounds like a marvelous idea. :)

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2014
    I would not put tall grass in a starting town, because you have the jokers that like walking in it with no pokemon and seeing how the game glitches out. Other towns are okay, but not anywhere before you get as pokemon.

Years
  • I would not put tall grass in a starting town, because you have the jokers that like walking in it with no pokemon and seeing how the game glitches out. Other towns are okay, but not anywhere before you get as pokemon.

What about if it was used for the Professor's research?
    Research on like how wild pokemon differ from tamed pokemon and so forth.

But obviously putting a script in the way that prevents the player from entering the tall grass until he/she has a pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2012
    I'm working on a FireRed hack, and I've put grass in that area of Pewter City where, normally, the guy is saying he's spraying repel to keep Pokemon out of his garden. But instead, he's feeding the Pokemon, as they are abandoned starter types. So in that area you can catch Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur (they aren't your starters here). But it is in a place that you would really find it difficult to accidently walk into, and you definitely have at least one Pokemon by the time you get there.

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2012
    I really like the urban pokemon idea. There are a good number of common pokemon that would fit in that kind of environment. Thank you for the wonderful idea. :)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    As long as you aren't forced to walk in them, I see no problem with putting grassy patches in towns. I'm not sure if I will do it in my hack, but it is something to consider simply because it is different.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • Same as above mostly, as long as you don't have to walk through...yadda yadda....
    I got a grass related side quest idea though

There would be a house with an overgrown yard, the owner of the house, an old man, would complain that he is too weak to mow his own lawn, and if you were kind enough to cut it for him (with cut :P) He would reward you. Pokemon in the grass would be rodents/pests. with a low low encounter rate.

emeraldJmac

Legend of Generations
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2012
    Same as above mostly, as long as you don't have to walk through...yadda yadda....
    I got a grass related side quest idea though

There would be a house with an overgrown yard, the owner of the house, an old man, would complain that he is too weak to mow his own lawn, and if you were kind enough to cut it for him (with cut :P) He would reward you. Pokemon in the grass would be rodents/pests. with a low low encounter rate.
    Sounds like an epic idea to me :D I might just incorporate that into my emerald hack ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I like putting grass in towns in a place where it is out in the open, but not required to get to the center, mart, gym etc. For example, in Fire Red, I once put water in a corner of Pallet, and put grass on that side of the pond I made (to prevent missingno. stuff..) Lets say in viridean city, between the Mart and the Pokecenter (the empty space) I put flowers and grass in that area, to make it look pretty.

I also sometimes put baby pokemon (igglybuff, pichu etc.) in a penned-in fence in the grass, and make a script that says that its a small adoption center to adopt pokemon in a town, like the 2 above.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    For me wild grass should never be in towns.

Around the outside, visible in a forest behind a house, but never in the town. The only reason for grass in a town should be (as someone said above) to add a unique 'abandoned' garden, or as a unique feature to a single town.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2012
    Personally, I don't actually reckon grass in towns are good... I barely see any exceptions, I only like to see grass in routes and on small islands along water streams or seas.

Back