• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Great Marsh or Safari Zone

Which was better?

• HGSS' Safari Zone!

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • DPPt's Great Marsh!

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Can't split them.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • They both sucked!

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    What did you prefer from the two safari zones of DPPt and HGSS - the muddy Great Marsh of DPPt, or the move-able Safari Zone of HGSS?

My personal vote is for HGSS's one - despite the day waiting thing for the rarer Pokemon I had a lot of other things to do first anyway (like beating the game and other side quests and all as the day-waiting is only for unlocking the area the Pokemon concerned can be found in) and getting stuck in the mud every few steps I found rather annoying for the Great Marsh.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Neither really. I thought the best the Great Marsh had was Starly and Psyduck tbh, lol, whereas the HGSS' Safari Zone had "rare" Pokemon I hadn't seen for generations! ...I disliked the design of both though which is what kinda let them down for me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Anything where you have to resort to using bait and rocks to catch Pokemon is horrible. Navigating the Great Marsh was frustrating with the sinkholes, but the customization of the HG/SS Safari Zone just made it cumbersome and not worth my time.

lacella

monsters & macarons.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    reading up on the marsh... safari zone is annoying, but it has great pokemon to make up for it - so my vote goes there, but just barely. both could stand to be designed a lot better.

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    The safari zone, no question about it. The great marsh had a lack of variety, usually I would only run into poison, grass, and bug types. It was also a lot more difficult to navigate through it and go everywhere in a single run imo.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like the Safari Zone better than the Great Marsh because there's no step limit to end my catching spree. The areas there can be customized too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Safari Zone all the way. That sinking in the mud gimmick in the Great Marsh was so annoying, and there wasn't very much variety (mostly Woopers and Bibarels). The Safari Zone was where I found my Larvitar, so that already wins.

Years
    Definitely the Johto Safari Zone cos of no step limit.

Sinnoh's Great Marsh was boring... and I tried catching a Yanma in Platinum and they kept escaping from me, no wonder I had to trade over a Yanma.

Pingouin_7

I liked the Great Marsh more, but only in Platinum.
    Compare the scenery in D/P with the one in Platinum.

At least, in Platinum, you could avoid getting stuck in the mud whenever possible.
    Also, it had a great deal of nice Pokémon, like Tropius and Yanma. It blended well in Sinnoh.

On the other hand, HG/SS's Safari Zone seems out of the place and I wouldn't have the patience to wait 80 days just for one Pokémon to appear (It'd be faster to complete a run of R/S/E or FR/LG then Pal Park.)

Years
    I like the safari game better than the great marsh. it is more fun to explore, offering players unique experiences every time they enter. The great marsh is just a single expanse of mud. and those are annoying

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    By process of elimination (i.e. not playing Diamond/Pearl/Platinum), I'm going to have to go with the Safari Zone, both for nostalgic value as well as the types of Pokemon encountered there. It's far from perfect, but anywhere that gives access to that many critters is probably a good thing on the whole. This Great Marsh thingy sounds all kinds of horrible, though!

Dudypokefan89

Gen II fanboy / Loving Nidoking rn
    Years
    My favorite was The Safari Zone. I thought it was really cool that it was on Cianwood City, one of many nostalgic places. I remember I would forget to have a flying type in my team on G/S/C. I always had to surf back to Olivine. The safari zone is also awesome because of the customizer. I found more Pokemon than I wanted. I have always been a fan of the safari zones. The great marsh was OK, but it wasn't as great as the safari zone.

Palcks

some nights.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 30, 2012
    I highly prefer the Safari Zone. The Great Marsh was cool and interesting at first, but I would much rather go to the Safari Zone. Especially with the moving land areas, those were really nifty. :3

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
    Personally, I prefer the Great Marsh because it seems more natural compared to the Safari Zone. Furthermore, I think there's too many Pokemon at that area, it's kind of overwhelming to me.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Safary Zone of course !
    I was really disappointed by Great Marsh...
    It's not funny at all, and at the beginning it's comical to be trapped in the mud, but after, that become extremely blooding.
    And anyway, Safari Zone will stay THE place where you can catch so many Pokémons, since RBY, it's irreplaceable ^^
    After, I have to admit that "improvements" in HGSS aren't really what I expected but I like Safari Zone nevertheless.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    I disliked both of them but prefer the great marsh from the two. The safari zone was fairly over crowded with pokemon and a bit confusing. While the great marsh was annoying with always getting stuck in mud at least it didn't confuse me. And the great marsh does look more natural.

Back