• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Guess! That! Name!

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I've got it! Protagonists' names:

F: Amber/Alex
    Male: Matt/Leon

Hopefully they're better than that, but I wouldn't mind the above at all.

Alex too common of a name, Amber okay but dont' really like it.

Male: Matt, again too common IMO for it to be used, Leon...reminds me of that gay guy from Roseanne.

A lot of people are calling the female White or Bianca. I like these names b/c they seem to fit imo. Though I wouldn't mind Amber as the female's name, but what if they want to name a future pokemon game Amber version? o_O?

No dear, it's not. :) It is pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

I think he meant that it has a 'ss' sound at the beginning since it seems like a lot of Japanese words with 'Tsu' in them are pronounced as 'su' like making the t silent, but to me it sounds like the t blends in with the s and u. Confusing? In other words, you're both right :D

Pokabu --> Emblet, Emblitz, Flaember

I feel that a simpler and cuter name would suit it better, so personally I'd go with Emblet. >.> Flaember sounds like a typical Fakemon name.

Mijumaru --> Shocea, Seattel, Othell

Seattel's my fave out of these three. And I totally fail at Tsutaaja so I'm not going to post them. >o<

Hmm, how funny I named my charmander in SS Embzo which kind of sounds like Emblet. Not bad names though.

I figured that miumaru would get its name greek possibly. Sea otters are part of the weasel family and are called Enhydra Lutis I figured that Game Freak could take from this, I also have some other ideas of possible combos.

My Idea for Mijumaru:
    Mimaro (from pitre which in French = clow and maro which means sea in latin)
    Womer (from wobble and mer which is sea in French)
    Otowee or Ottowe/Ottowee (baby sea otters make a 'wee' sound and the otto is just from otter )

I know....I stink at coming up with names.

Last edited:

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Lol, I'm confused at the whole "tsu" thing. Some people pronounce it with the "t"? Or is it some sort of unexplainable sound made when pronounced? idk, lol.

ThePinkDragon

Rawrtastic!
    Years
  • The 'T' runs in with the 's'. So it's pronounced the way you see it.

I took Japanese for 3 years. :) You are supposed to use the 'T' anytime you see 'tsu' used in a Japanese word. It almost sounds like 'su', but you press your tongue up against your front teeth to bring the 't' into it, making 'tsu'. If you say 'su' instead of 'tsu' then you're mispronouncing the word. Plus, why would they have 'tsu' in their alphabet if it was pronounced just like 'su'? In that case they would have just made it 'tu'.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    The 'T' runs in with the 's'. So it's pronounced the way you see it.

I took Japanese for 3 years. :) You are supposed to use the 'T' anytime you see 'tsu' used in a Japanese word. It almost sounds like 'su', but you press your tongue up against your front teeth to bring the 't' into it, making 'tsu'. If you say 'su' instead of 'tsu' then you're mispronouncing the word. Plus, why would they have 'tsu' in their alphabet if it was pronounced just like 'su'? In that case they would have just made it 'tu'.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still lol-ing at the fact we were discussing how to pronounce the first 3 words of Tsutaja's name. Since you took Japanese for 3 years I assume you got the most out of it and can get b&w when they come out this fall in Japan?! I soo would, but I'm not studying Japanese...(darn it why couldn't game freak be a korean or french company :D)

ThePinkDragon

Rawrtastic!
    Years
  • Thanks for the explanation. I'm still lol-ing at the fact we were discussing how to pronounce the first 3 words of Tsutaja's name. Since you took Japanese for 3 years I assume you got the most out of it and can get b&w when they come out this fall in Japan?! I soo would, but I'm not studying Japanese...(darn it why couldn't game freak be a korean or french company :D)

Ha ha ha. Nah, I wouldn't get the game in Japanese even if I could. :) It was a long time ago ... I still remember some of it, but not a whole lot. 4 years in, you'll be surprised by how little you've learned. Japanese is a formidable language to learn!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • ...just throwing in another trio of names. XD

Aspleaf -> Ivyper -> Serpentree

Pyroink -> Warmhog -> Blazorack

Shellot -> Bearott -> Aqursa

Yeah...for some reason, I see Tsutaja evolving into a serpentine dragon thing, Pokabu into a flaming warthog, and Mijumaru into an aquatic bear. Not the greatest, but just another stab in the dark for me. XD

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    ...just throwing in another trio of names. XD

Aspleaf -> Ivyper -> Serpentree

Yeah...for some reason, I see Tsutaja evolving into a serpentine dragon thing, Pokabu into a flaming warthog, and Mijumaru into an aquatic bear. Not the greatest, but just another stab in the dark for me. XD

I love the names! Some of the best I've seen so far! Aspleaf, Pyroink (cute), and Shellot.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Updating my earlier guesses:

Barkasp, Leavenom, Arboison
    Watelp, Flotter, Glotter
    Baykin, Brikiln, Fryarback

Professor Willow

Leader Ryan (Dragon)
    Leader Smith (Steel)
    Leader Goro (Fire)
    Leader Shelley (Water)
    Leader Rose (Grass)
    Leader Penny (Flying)
    Leader Amy (Ice)
    Leader Kope (Rock)

Elite Four Bruce (Fighting)
    Elite Four (Poison)
    Elite Four Maple (Psychic)
    Elite Four Jewel (Ghost)
    Champion Noä (Normal)

Team Rondo
    Rondo Admin Sandy
    Rondo Admin Sparky
    Rondo Admin Shade
    Rondo Leader Max

New NPC Types:
    Foreigner - Specializes in Version-Exclusive Pokemon
    Fireman - Mix of Fire and Water, heavy Speed emphasis
    Suit - Either Rare Pokemon or Steel Pokemon, heavy Special Attack emphasis
    Cabbie - Electric, defensive emphasis
    Vagabond - Plays to Win, maybe Dark pokemon?
    Undergrad - Updated Schoolboy/Schoolgirl
    Nurse - Stall Teams

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    I think they should just be called Green, Blue and Red :P So much easier to remember but I guess you run out of colors eventually. I don't know

Snakrass. (snake + grass), Boarandle (boar + candle) and Seaball. Er. Best I can think of.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • Alex too common of a name, Amber okay but dont' really like it.

Male: Matt, again too common IMO for it to be used, Leon...reminds me of that gay guy from Roseanne.

A lot of people are calling the female White or Bianca. I like these names b/c they seem to fit imo. Though I wouldn't mind Amber as the female's name, but what if they want to name a future pokemon game Amber version? o_O?

I agree that they're a bit too common, but with the name "ethan" I figured that was the direction they were heading.

Years
  • Aspleaf -> Ivyper -> Serpentree

I like Ivyper, and Shellot would be good if it wasn't a single letter different from Shellos.

Complete shot in the dark, but I'm going to guess the protagonists' names will be, in Japanese, Ayumi and Susumu to keep with the themed naming thing they've got going. Their English names could follow in the same vein with Stephanie, Stephen, Walker, Skip, Laine or Laney.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I really am curious to see what the English names turn out to be. But I'm sooo used to the Japanese names, so I might end up always referring to them -even nicknaming them-by their Japanese names.

Pichu_War

Pichu from Johto
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    I think on pokebeach.com, they confirmed that Zoroark's english name is the same, because zoroark.com was registired and now redirects to pokemon.com (us website)

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
  • It makes sense that Zoroark is the same because it isn't Japanese root words.

Did you guys see the new Pokemon revealed? (See it here if you haven't!)

Here are a couple name guesses...
    Chiraamii: Cheerami
    Mamepato: I have no idea, but it will probably be based on a real bird species name like the past ones.
    Munna: Flora (It's got a friggin flower pattern.)
    Gear: umm Gear, I guess. XD
    Hihidaruma: I HAVE NO IDEA. IT'S A CREEPY THING. XD
    Meguroko: (looks like a lizard... 0.o;) Maybe something like Megarock? XD
    Shimama: (OMG A BLACK AND WHITE POKEMON!!! XD) Greyscale. Just for lulz.

and the new professor:
    Prof. Araragi: Prof. Maple, maybe?

Back