• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Gyarados or Sharpedo?

Which water-type do you prefer?

• Gyarados

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Gyarados is literally a dragon type pokemon without the dragon typing. can learn thunderbolt+thunder, flamethrower+fireblast, earthquake, icebeam+blizzard, dragon type moves.... the biggest messup with gyarados is how it is a flying type but cannot learn aerial ace or fly.

Years
  • Both have their uses, as far as I'm concerned.

Gyarados has the versatility and access to Dragon Dance, with wide move coverage. Sharpedo is more frail, and its STABs weren't as good in this generation, but hey at least it looks cool. Both did get better after the physical/special split though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2016
    Got to say Sharpedo just due to Gyarados having a 4x weakness to electric. One or two thunderbolts and Gyarados is toast.

rickonstark

the forgotten son
    Years
  • I think between the two Sharpedo would be better in this gen. just because sharpedo would benefit greatly from its high sp. atk. having water/dark type which both relies on sp.atk. in this generation.

For me though, i used Milotic in this gen. although feebas a little tricky to find but its worth it. for me atleast.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Sharpedo has a really nice surfing sprite, but I have to go with the classic Gyarados.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • Since this thread is in 'Gen 3', I will personally discount any details relating to any Generation past 4. No disrespect.

Gyarados is the first one to analyze, purely because it's older than Sharpedo, so he won the toss. Before I begin, I'll draw attention to Magikarp, which is heavily underrated. On the Magikarp Issue, you either have to; A) Be neutral and raise whoever you want. B) Or acknowledge Magikarp's usefulness and go through the trouble of leveling it. To me, Gyarados is one of the most powerful out there, and I consider it a Legendary Level Pokemon. (As close to Legendary as you can get without being one.) Dragon Rage was (lol) all the rage back in the day. (/lol) If you don't have a Water Move for Gyarados, Dragon Rage would be an effective slayer of Rocks and Steels. Although I prefer attack moves, Rain Dance has strategic value, especially with Lightnings in reserve (or double battles).

I Rate Gyarados 9.5/10, simply because its only weakness is lightning.

Sharpedo, I can only describe in very few words. I'm a fan, it has fewer weaknesses than Gyarados, rating a full-blown 10/10. The Rough Skin ability more than makes up for the inability to survive Fighting Moves, I usually use Lightning or Grass Moves against one. (Remembering the ruckus I caused against Team Aqua.) It's fierce, I love it's image, it's a favourite.

If it comes down to which one I prefer, it would be both. Tie game. Why can't there be more than 1 winner?

LexAnarchy

Lunacy at its finest.
    Years
  • Sharpedo is actually one of my very favourite Pokemon. I love the design of its normal form, the mega evolution is pretty ugly though (I don't like megas in general). They could've done such a badass job at designing its mega but that one just sucks. As for competitive battling, Sharpedo unfortunately is easily outclassed by Gyarados in pretty much any way.

Years
  • Even though I always liked the idea of Sharpedo, my vote still has to go to Gyarados. FireRed was actually one of the first times I can remember using a Gyarados (never did much with the shiny Gyarados from G/S/C), and it was an important member of my team right up until the Elite Four.

Sageous

Xatu Lover
    Years
  • I voted for Sharpedo. I've never been a big fan of Gyarados because its typing and design, but I won't say it's a bad Pokemon. I know how much of a powerhouse he is, I just love Sharpedo's typing and his design is really neat.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I used to hate Gyarados for years, mostly because I always found it tough to beat in-game (unless I had an electric type) and I never really had the patience to train a Magikarp or go looking for one. But after using one of my own my opinion definitely changed.

As for Sharpedo, well... I just don't really care for the design.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Don't like the designs for either of them at all. Bleh, I'm not interested. I'll pick Sharpedo just by virtue of the fact that I like Hoenn better overall, but that still doesn't make me at all interested in big ugly sharks.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I prefer the design of Gyarados, and its concept seems cooler. But Sharpedo has a pretty badass design as well, I just didn't use him that much often. My go-to Hoenn water type is Azumarill, though.

I did almost use a Sharpedo, albeit it was in OmegaRuby and not in a third gen game.

PunkRockRat

Punking Pun-King
    Years
  • I prefer Gyarados, simply for the lore behind the design.
    Also, am I the only one who has a lil' weakness for Magikarp? C'mon:
    Gyarados or Sharpedo?

Though Sharpedo is pretty awesome, I have to say that.
    Its back just looks very awkward to me, even if the Shark-Torpedo thing is supposed to be.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • I prefer Gyarados, because I love its design. Sharpedo is kinda cool, but its nothing special. I am a but dissapointed by Gyarados's Learn set though. You gotta use tm's to make it decent

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • gyarados is boss
    Gyarados or Sharpedo?

Man, this is so misleading lol teaching Gyarados hyper beam in the game is soooooo pointless :(

Gyarados and Sharpedo are both my personal favorites. Although, whenever I'm playing a new generation I tend to play with only that regions pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2016
    Gyarados is more badass because it looks like a dragon & Sharpedo on the other hand, looks like you cut the head off of a shark & that's pretty much what it is - a decapitated shark.

I also love how Gyarados has a high HP & can learn:

Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    Earthquake
    Icebeam

The moveset options for Gyarados are AMAZING even though it's a water/flying type & I think that's what really gives it the edge over Sharpedo.

Sirfetch’d

Both are good but I think I prefer Sharpedo just a bit more. I used a Sharpedo on my original RSE team and had a blast doing so. While Gyarados is obviously stronger, Sharpedo has won my heart :D

Back