• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leader/Elite Four Difficulty

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I'm sure most of you all have had difficulty in Diamond, Pearl, and/or Platinum with the gym leaders and Elite Four. Which gym leader and/or Elite Four member did you have the most difficulty with?

To answer my own question, for the gym leaders I would have to say Fantina in Platinum. She really did improve since Diamond and Pearl.

Years
    i've not had much trouble with any of them really, but i did really struggle against Elite 4 Lucian once, but i found cynthia stupidly easy that time? :S

Years
    Yes I also had difficulty with fantina in platinum she got me unexpectedly with the pokemon she had it took me 3 times to get my pokemon strong enough to beat here

Gimmy

Rotommmmmmmmmmmmmmnomnom.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2009
    The Gyms were easy but I had trouble beating Aaron the first time round in Platinum. I always have difficulty with the first Elite 4 from every game. =3=

POKéMIKE1

AKA meejle
    Years
    I found Lucian and Cynthia really difficult.

I was well-prepared for Aaron (Rapidash and Staraptor), Bertha (Roserade and Empoleon), and Flint (Empoleon), so they weren't too much trouble.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I didn't really find any of the Gyms that difficult, maybe because I have a tendency to train like crazy right before a challenge and then find out that my levels are miles above the Gym Leader's.

On the Elite 4, I didn't really have any problems either. Aaron was probably the trickiest, but I got in a critical-hit Earthquake on his Drapion and another critical Aerial Ace on his Heracross. Bertha was incredibly easy to beat with Empoleon and Leafeon's Grass Knot, and I got about four more critical hits on Flint with Surf. Four of Lucian's team died to Weavile's Night Slash, and I got in another critical hit Aerial Ace on Gallade and OHKO'ed it. o.o Even Cynthia's Garchomp went down in two hits (Ice Beam + Earthquake.) The only Pokemon in the League that really gave me trouble, ironically, was her Togekiss, who knocked Luxray out four times in a row with Aura Sphere because Thunder Fang kept missing.

So I guess it was a mix of overpreparedness and sheer luck.

That was a really long post. x_X

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
    Years
    The gym leaders were easy (however, I didn't even attempt Hearthome Gym until my friend traded me a Spiritomb) but I had the most trouble with E4 Champion Cynthia.

Years
    I always thought it was just me who had trouble with Fantina in platinum D:. She killed me like 4 times :C. Just beat her today :3

Pikadance14

Mudkip Kid
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    The only person I have a lot of trouble with is Cyanthia if her Garchomp faints a majority of my Pokes. The rest of the time I just blast through places by using type advantages.XD

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2021
    I had trouble with Fantina, I only had to battle her once, but I had only my Monferno left with 1 hp. But when I had a Torterra, I could not beat Candance.

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    Fourth gen Gyms have been disappointments so far; Emerald was much harder. However, Fantina as third was a good move 'cause my usual strategy didn't work (Toxic+Bronzor) without Stunky. I had the most trouble with her. Everyone else were cakewalks in Pt. In DP, the only problem I can imagine is going against Byron without EQ or a fire move.

As far as the E4 goes, DP was easier because of the diversity. I ran through Pt's with my cousin's solo-Infernape <<, and Bertha and Cynthis were real challenges. If your team's diverse, though, no prob-

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    In Platinum, Cynthia's Garchomp was harder than usually. I think it's because they raised the level a bit higher to make it more tougher for us.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    All I can say is that all of them as a whole were stronger than in Diamond and Pearl

But I twas still abelt to beat all of them in 1 try, including Cynthia

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
    I had issues with Gardenia in Platinum because I picked Piplup. Her Turtwig kept on setting up Reflect and even her Roserade could take my Staravia's hits. Not to mention, her Roserade OHKO'd Staravia a dozen times in a row due to critical hit hax >.<

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Cynthia is probably the hardest trainer I've faced in Platinum.

However, I try to grind as much as I can before facing such opponents.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
    I found Volkner to be a tad difficult in Platinum. His stupid Luxray used Ice Fang on my Hippowdon and KO'ed it. My Honchkrow wouldn't listen to me, but managed to defeat it with Fly.

I haven't face the E4 as I just got my 8th badge today.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
    i thought the whole game was a bit more challenging then diamond and pearl. had a hard time with elite 4 and champ

Back